Belkin announces simultaneous Lightning headphone and charging adapter for iPhone 7

Comments

• Reply 41 of 92
    Good to know that I will never need to use that ugly thing. I use wireless headphones exclusively. I don't  like wires hanging around my neck in the few occasions that I use one. 
  • Reply 42 of 92
    And Schiller is telling people to buy a lightening dock if they want to charge while listening. Er, so is Apple trying to get rid of the 3.5mm jack or not? If they were one would assume new docks wouldn't include it anymore.
    They want to sell as much Lightning stuff as they can before they switch to USB-C, because ???
    Clex
  • Reply 43 of 92
    wood1208 said:
    How about lightening plug at one end and earpod/earphone other end so you can plug earpiece directly into the lightening port of iphone 7 like 3.5 plug in earlier version. Understandable that Apple won't do this because Apple wants us to grow-up into using wireless pods future..
    Do you mean something like this? Apple ships one with every iPhone 7, and you can buy extras too.

http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MMTN2AM/A/earpods-with-lightning-connector

Soliwaverboynolamacguysteveh
  • Reply 44 of 92
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    jasonfj said:
    Wow. Clumsy. 
    This is Cook's Apple: dongles and adapters.
    Please, please please...
    Buy a Samsung and be done with it. Move to the Android forums where your views will be in good company...
    And f**k off
    boopthesnootwilliamlondonwaverboynolamacguystevehwatto_cobra
  • Reply 45 of 92
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    seanie248 said:
    Great that they built this for the 7 people in the world who might be charging and listening via headphones at the same time.

I'm glad they got rid the 3.5 jack... progress is essential. 3.5 analogue is so outdated, its embarrassing that modern devices have them.

Not convinced on the air-buds though, will have to try them out first.
    Right. 7 People. The next time you look around a plane, take note of how many people are plugging in their phones to the in seat power ports airlines can't add fast enough, and tell me how many people you see also using their wired headphones. I plug in every time I'm on a plane. I stopped using wired headphones a few years ago, so this doesn't immediately affect me, unless my BT headphones have run out of power, and then I need to plug directly into my iPhone to keep listening. My nephews plug into the power port in the back seat on long trips in the family SUV, and plug in an adapter splitter and watch movies and play games on their parents iPhone together. So now they're going to need a bunch of adapters to do that. And so far, I only see an adapter that allows one Lightning headphone and one power port -- how are they going to listen to the movie together now?

I'm glad they got rid of the 3.5mm jack too. And you can look at my posting history over the last year and see how much I support the move. But Apple has botched this, by not having well thought out solutions to replacing the 3.5mm jack. They should have had an answer for all of these common use scenarios ... not seemingly off-the-cuff, deer-in-the-headlights answers like: use a desktop dock. 

I'm disappointed. I expected better from Apple for such a major move from a company which built its current fortune on music no less.
    ewtheckmangadgetcanadav2
  • Reply 46 of 92
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    You know what Jobs would have done? he certainly wouldn't be doing any whiny affirmation seeking talking about "courage",
    and he wouldn't be talking up short term "solutions".

He would have said, analogue ports are ancient technology that only Apple has the drive to eliminate. It's time to move on from legacy ports. You know that in five years time most mobiles won't have an analogue port,  because they follow the leader. Apple is the leader to the future. Anyone who actually cares about sound would purchase ear devices that have their own DAC. Do you not care about the sound?

He would aggressively champion is change for the future, not be apologetic.
    And people would bow to His greater RDF induced wisdom.  

I was thinkng: would the jack still be around in twenty years' time? The damn phone will be a replaceable implant that is powered from body heat. There will be no ports at all.
    jony0
  • Reply 47 of 92
    Apple delivers a better phone geared to the future and some people can't get around the fact that they might have to carry around an adapter for their old shit. Boohoo. Nothing in life is perfect y'all. If you ask for a sealed phone you can't complain when they remove the ports and ask you to use an adapter. 
    nolamacguywatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 48 of 92
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    entropys said:
    You know what Jobs would have done? he certainly wouldn't be doing any whiny affirmation seeking talking about "courage",
    and he wouldn't be talking up short term "solutions".

He would have said, analogue ports are ancient technology that only Apple has the drive to eliminate. It's time to move on from legacy ports. You know that in five years time most mobiles won't have an analogue port,  because they follow the leader. Apple is the leader to the future. Anyone who actually cares about sound would purchase ear devices that have their own DAC. Do you not care about the sound?

He would aggressively champion is change for the future, not be apologetic.
    And people would bow to His greater RDF induced wisdom.  

I was thinkng: would the jack still be around in twenty years' time? The damn phone will be a replaceable implant that is powered from body heat. There will be no ports at all.
    And Apple isn’t even the first to do it. It’s hilarious reading posts from people who say they will switch platforms over this when it’s already happening on the platform they threaten to switch to. The transformation has already started, Apple has just legitimized it. Fait accompli people. Deal with it.
    williamlondonwaverboystevehwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 49 of 92
    jasonfj said:
    Wow. Clumsy. 
    This is Cook's Apple: dongles and adapters.
    you damn well know Cook isn't a product designer. you read the BuzzFeed profile, you know the engineers who designed the phone and why they did what they did.
    edited September 2016 williamlondonstevehwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 50 of 92
    ZooMigo said:
    Fantastic! We now have the worlds fastest, thinnest, most beautiful phone and we need a giant ugly block to make it ALMOST as functional as the last generation. Do not want, not buying. 
    trash. what we gained for ditching this port is +2 hours of battery, a better camera, and water seals. thats from the engineer's mouth. so i GAINED functionality i didn't have before. i don't need to charge and listen so it cost me nothing. your use case is an outlier, mine is the normal baseline. deal with your adapter or adapt yourself.
    edited September 2016 williamlondonwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 51 of 92
    And Schiller is telling people to buy a lightening dock if they want to charge while listening. Er, so is Apple trying to get rid of the 3.5mm jack or not? If they were one would assume new docks wouldn't include it anymore.
    its there for whiners. you can use it if you really think you need it, and then maybe not whine about it. but its not mandatory.

schiller was very clear on what they think is better and where they're going. you can choose to see it, or choose to keep complaining. 
    williamlondonwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 52 of 92
    its there for whiners. you can use it if you really think you need it, and then maybe not whine about it. but its not mandatory.

schiller was very clear on what they think is better and where they're going. you can choose to see it, or choose to keep complaining. 
    Except that's not what they put in the box. So it's a wireless future except when it comes to margins, then it's still a wired future, a wired future with a proprietary port and an adapter. :wink: 
    singularity
  • Reply 53 of 92
    Is this the first time a 3rd party vendor has shipped an official product with a female lighting connector? If so, that's the bigger story here. 
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 54 of 92
    chabig said:

Do you mean something like this? Apple ships one with every iPhone 7, and you can buy extras too.
    There are devices other than Apple's headphones that use audio jacks, such as older cars and non-Apple headphones. They still need compatibility.
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 55 of 92
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Clex said:
    Is this the first time a 3rd party vendor has shipped an official product with a female lighting connector? If so, that's the bigger story here. 
    If it's not, it's one of the very rare instances of Apple granting a license for that.

Has anybody seen the MFi specs since Apple removed the headphone jack? I'm wondering what the new rules are about female Lightning ports, and how they can be used. I'm also curious about analogue signals and whether a 3.5mm source to Lightning headphone adapter would be possible to pass through the analogue signal and bypass the headphones DAC straight to the transducers. Would make a lot more sense than having to convert the signal back to digital just to get it into the headphones, only to convert it back to analogue.
  • Reply 56 of 92
    mac_128 said:
    Clex said:
    If it's not, it's one of the very rare instances of Apple granting a license for that.

Has anybody seen the MFi specs since Apple removed the headphone jack? I'm wondering what the new rules are about female Lightning ports, and how they can be used. I'm also curious about analogue signals and whether a 3.5mm source to Lightning headphone adapter would be possible to pass through the analogue signal and bypass the headphones DAC straight to the transducers. Would make a lot more sense than having to convert the signal back to digital just to get it into the headphones, only to convert it back to analogue.
    I don't think the Lightning headphones have a DAC. They'd cost more if they did. I'm sure the Lightning port is just passing the analog signal from the DAC and amp in the phone.
  • Reply 57 of 92
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    cali said:
    Good a lot of people were bi**hing that they wouldn't buy an iPhone 7 because of this problem. 
    I wouldn't say a lot. Only 2.2% so far.
  • Reply 58 of 92
    Hey all those moaning...
     Why don't you go and buy a Samsung Galaxy Note 7 they come bundled  with a free fire/explosion.

Only downside is I don't think you can take it on a flight with you - so no music in flight!!

watto_cobra
  • Reply 59 of 92
    I can design better. I just can't build better.

lorin schultzrogifan_newewtheckman
  • Reply 60 of 92
    mac_128 said:
    seanie248 said:
    Great that they built this for the 7 people in the world who might be charging and listening via headphones at the same time.

I'm glad they got rid the 3.5 jack... progress is essential. 3.5 analogue is so outdated, its embarrassing that modern devices have them.

Not convinced on the air-buds though, will have to try them out first.
    Right. 7 People. The next time you look around a plane, take note of how many people are plugging in their phones to the in seat power ports airlines can't add fast enough, and tell me how many people you see also using their wired headphones. I plug in every time I'm on a plane. I stopped using wired headphones a few years ago, so this doesn't immediately affect me, unless my BT headphones have run out of power, and then I need to plug directly into my iPhone to keep listening. My nephews plug into the power port in the back seat on long trips in the family SUV, and plug in an adapter splitter and watch movies and play games on their parents iPhone together. So now they're going to need a bunch of adapters to do that. And so far, I only see an adapter that allows one Lightning headphone and one power port -- how are they going to listen to the movie together now?

I'm glad they got rid of the 3.5mm jack too. And you can look at my posting history over the last year and see how much I support the move. But Apple has botched this, by not having well thought out solutions to replacing the 3.5mm jack. They should have had an answer for all of these common use scenarios ... not seemingly off-the-cuff, deer-in-the-headlights answers like: use a desktop dock. 

I'm disappointed. I expected better from Apple for such a major move from a company which built its current fortune on music no less.
    Well said. I agree with everything you said. All the people who say nobody charges while listening to their headsets need to read this.