Apple's online storefront down ahead of iPhone 7, Apple Watch Series 2 preorders

Posted:
in General Discussion edited September 2016
Apple's online storefront and dedicated Apple Store app went down at around 5:50 p.m. Pacific on Thursday as the company makes preparations for a rush of iPhone 7 and Apple Watch Series 2 preorders.

As with every new product launch, Apple's online store went down for maintenance ahead of Friday's iPhone 7 preorder kickoff. Apple has updated its familiar downtime landing page with a message in bold typeface reading, "We've got something special in store for you."

Apple's iPhone 7 and 7 Plus will go up for preorder in just a few hours, bringing with it a slew of performance improvements and all-new features. Chief among hardware changes are upgraded camera modules, including a dual-camera system on iPhone 7 Plus that provides users with a high-quality 2X optical zoom system.

Other enhancements include an A10 Fusion processor thought to outperform all previous A-series SoCs, a solid-state home button, more onboard storage, water-resistant design, two new black color options and more. It also lacks a headphone jack in favor of Lightning and wireless audio solutions, the latter of which will debut as AirPods next month.

The 4.7-inch iPhone 7 starts at $649 for 32 GB of storage, and moves up in price to $749 for 128 GB and $849 for 256 GB. The 5.5-inch iPhone 7 Plus will be available for $769 for 32 GB, $869 for 128 GB and $969 for 256 GB.

As for Apple Watch Series 2, Apple's updated wearable gets a long-awaited GPS radio, faster dual-core processor, brighter screen, swim-proof housing and an all-new ceramic casing option. A special Nike+ model for runners is also up for preorder, though the version is set to debut in October.

Apple Watch Series 2 starts at $369 for all 38mm aluminum versions, while 42mm models come in at $399. Stainless steel and Space Black stainless steel Apple Watch Series 2 models start at $549 for the 38mm version with sport band, or $599 for 42mm. The white ceramic edition comes in at $1,249 for the 38mm case, while the 42mm version is set at $1,299.

In preparation of tomorrow's preorder bonanza, AppleInsider created a handy preorder guides for iPhone 7 and Apple Watch Series 2 to make sure buyers are ready when Apple's system goes live at 12:01 a.m. Pacific.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    Fingers crossed for the 7+ (Jet Black, 128GB) by 3:02AM EST...

As usual, the Mac, the iPad and the iPhone will all be simultaneously ready to go, so as to maximize the possibility of Store access. 
  • Reply 2 of 32
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Can you trade in an old Apple Watch for one of the new ones at the Apple Store?
  • Reply 3 of 32
    e1618978 said:
    I don't think so. 
  • Reply 4 of 32
    e1618978 said:
    same policy on trading in old iPods. 
  • Reply 5 of 32
    Force touch the Apple Store App. That's different now right?
  • Reply 6 of 32
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Almost every year there is a hard to get color and an extremely popular color, like when the first white iPhone was introduced some years back, and after that, then gold became the latest popular color, and we could read all about how those Asians just love everything gold. And then came rose gold, and now I bet that the hard to get color, that everybody and their brother is going to want is that sexy as hell Jet Black iPhone!

That'll sell out first I think, and pretty damn quickly too. :#
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 7 of 32
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    No story on Apple becoming the 2nd biggest watch brand in the world?

We dealt with a years worth of analysts saying Apple Watch was a failure c'mon give us the story and spread the news!
    nolamacguywatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 32
    3:03... no Store access yet...
  • Reply 9 of 32
    3:05..... :(
  • Reply 10 of 32
    12:05 am (PST) - no access
  • Reply 11 of 32
    No go on Verizon so far or Apple Store. 
  • Reply 12 of 32
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Apparently, they CAN wait for us to see it...
  • Reply 13 of 32
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Reply 14 of 32
    I was hoping to be back in bed by now. 
  • Reply 15 of 32
    Ordered the phone using the Apple Store app and used Apple Pay.  Easiest ordering process ever. 
  • Reply 16 of 32
    12:11am Pacific Standard Time; Apple Store still down. This means it's time to heat up the Volcano Digit.
  • Reply 17 of 32
    got mine 128gb black
  • Reply 18 of 32
    I'm thinking I've been screwing up by refreshing the screen every minute or so. I think they have a queue system. Just wait on the site on the "We've got..." page and don't touch anything.
  • Reply 19 of 32
    boredumb said:
    Apparently, they CAN wait for us to see it...
    Came on at 3:06 on the iPad, done ordering. Weirdly, the web and iPhone versions of the Store did not come on until 3:11!

Good luck, all.
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 20 of 32
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Just got my confirmation Watch2, rose gold w/midnight blue sport band  - not that anyone but my daughter will care about those details.