Apple's iPhone 7 and Apple Watch Series 2 now available for preorder [u]

Posted:
in General Discussion edited September 2016
As scheduled, Apple's iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus and Apple Watch Series 2 went up for preorder early Friday in nearly 30 territories around the world, including key markets in North America, Europe and Asia.

In the U.S., the preorder process started a bit late for some customers, but appears to be running smoothly on Apple's own website, the Apple Store app for iOS and the respective online storefronts of its partner wireless providers. Apple.com sometimes experiences server issues when a new iPhone model launches due to overwhelming demand.

Apple is launching iPhone 7 and 7 Plus in 29 countries, including Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, China, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Luxembourg, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, UAE, the UK, US Virgin Islands and the U.S. Preorders are slated to arrive on Sept. 16, the same day Apple is expected to have stock on hand at its retail outlets.

Looking ahead, preorders go live in Andorra, Bahrain, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Estonia, Greece, Greenland, Guernsey, Hungary, Iceland, Isle of Man, Jersey, Kosovo, Kuwait, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Maldives, Malta, Monaco, Poland, Qatar, Romania, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Slovakia and Slovenia on Friday, Sept. 23, while customers in India will get access to the new phones on Friday, Oct. 7.

With the industry moving away from two-year contracts, U.S. handset pricing starts $649 for the 4.7-inch iPhone 7 with 32 GB of storage, while a step-up 128 GB model runs $749. The maxed out 256 GB model sells for $849. The 5.5-inch iPhone 7 Plus starts at $769 for 32 GB of storage, moving up to $869 for 128 GB and $969 for 256 GB.

Apple announced iPhone 7 at a special event on Wednesday. Outside, the handset remains largely unchanged from iPhone 6 series devices, but inside are a variety of upgrades like the speedy and efficient A10 Fusion SoC, solid-state home button, enhanced cameras, a dual-camera system for iPhone 7 Plus, wide color gamut display, stereo speakers, a bigger battery and more. As rumored, Apple deleted the 3.5mm headphone jack from iPhone's design, but the change afforded space for a refined Taptic Engine and allowed engineers to implement a water resistant design.

Apple opened preorders for Apple Watch Series 2, Series 2 with Nike+ band and the revamped Series 1 in 27 markets, including Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, China, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Luxembourg, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, UAE, the UK and the U.S. Like the iPhone 7, Apple Watch Series 2 shipments and in-store availability are scheduled to arrive next Friday. The Nike+ version is slated to arrive some time in October.

Apple will open Apple Watch Series 1 and 2 preorders in Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda, Cayman Islands, Croatia, Czech Republic, El Salvador, Greece, Guam, Hungary, Jersey, Kuwait, Macau, Monaco, Poland, Qatar, Romania, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Slovakia and the US Virgin Islands on Sept. 23, and in India and Mexico on Oct. 7.

Apple Watch Series 2 starts at $369 for all 38mm aluminum versions, while 42mm models come in at $399. Pricing is identical for the Nike version. Stainless steel and Space Black stainless steel Apple Watch Series 2 models start at $549 for the 38mm version with sport band, or $599 for 42mm. The white ceramic edition comes in at $1,249 for the 38mm case, while the 42mm version is set at $1,299.

With the Series 2, Apple packs a slew of new hardware into the original Apple Watch design, with additions like GPS, a dual-core processor, brighter screen, swim-proof housing and an all-new ceramic casing option. All models ship with watchOS 3, which boasts a redesigned user interface, new apps, snappier operation and more.

Apple also updated Series 1 devices with its new dual-core chip and dropped the starting price to $269.

Make sure to check out AppleInsider's hands-on look at Apple's new iPhone 7 and Apple Watch Series 2 for more information.

Update: Due to constrained initial stock, Jet Black iPhone 7 models now ship in 2-3 weeks, while the 7 Plus is at over one month.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 84
    levilevi Posts: 344member
    Air pods already sold out?
  • Reply 2 of 84
    "In the U.S., the preorder process appears to be running smoothly on Apple's own website" - not for me. I didn't get past the "We've got something in store for you" page until 3:12 am EDT.  I had already completed my order on the AT&T page in a second browser before the Apple page even loaded to give me an option to select anything.
  • Reply 3 of 84
    they aren't available till october
    levi said:
    Air pods already sold out?
    nolamacguyireland
  • Reply 4 of 84
    Apple Store took till 7:15PM to load (kept giving me the "We've got something in store for you" page). 128GB Jet Black iPhone 7 ordered, ships in 1-2 weeks. smile 

Edit: Forgot to mention that I'm in New Zealand. 
    edited September 2016 sockrolid
  • Reply 5 of 84
    roakeroake Posts: 809member
    So I was able to run through the process pretty danged fast.  Ordered jet black 7+ 256gb.  Said Oct. 4-10th for delivery.  Dang
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 6 of 84
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Wow.  That took about 17 minutes.  Took quite a few tries on my old iPhone 6 through the Apple Store app with AT&T Next.
    At one point I had put two iPhone 7 Plus 128GB Jet Black in my virtual bag by mistake.
    This caused an error because only one unlocked phone can be purchased at once (or something like that.)
    Lost time deleting one of them and attempting the payment process several more times.
    I saw several delivery dates during the process: 9/23, 10/10, and finally 10/18 - 31.
    5 weeks at the minimum.  :-(
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 7 of 84
    roakeroake Posts: 809member
    And now (2:26am), it says 4-6 weeks on jet black 256gb 7+

and I checked 256gb Gold 7+ and it said delivers Sept 16.
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 8 of 84
    A little disappointed. Got in about 12:07, upgrading a T-Mobile iPhone 6S+ on the Apple plan to a 7S+. No 256 at the Santa Monica store, only Rose Gold 128. Tried a bunch of other stores but there were no T-Mobile 7S+ available at all. Finally found a &+ in Silver at The Grove. Interestingly enough, the phone just says GSM. When I looked in Santa Monica, there were phones available for AT&T customers ... I wondered about ordering, but wasn't sure but the phone just said (GSM) so I wonder if I could have just reserved another carrier. I took the earliest time slot ... in the past, I was able to get a different phone at the store (I think they were stealing from release day stock) so I am still hoping that I might be able to get one of the black phones instead, but if it is a silver phone, that wouldn't be the worst situation.

I then read online that phones were available to new purchasers not on the Apple upgrade plan. And here I thought we would get special treatment as an Apple Upgrade customer ...

fwiw, after reserving my time slot, I went back into the app and ordered an AW2. 38mm (I have small wrists), Space Black (although maybe I should have gone with silver to match my phone). Got a delivery date of Sept 23rd ... wonder if I was bumped down the queue because I was buying a phone ...

A less than stellar experience purchasing on opening night ... I was surprised that the release date was so soon after the announcement but now I have to wonder if the initial releases are VERY limited.
  • Reply 9 of 84
    If I knew Apple's choice of financing for the yearly upgrade program would be a POS to deal with then I wouldn't have even tried. Ended up skipping iPhone upgrade program because financing was not approved and wasted 20 minutes. Now I purchased the phone in full without the upgrade program and instead of Sep 16 delivery, it's Sep 27-29. Thanks, Apple, for your wonderful financing choice that refused to cooperate with a perfect credit score and waste my time at 2:30am-- meanwhile full cash is coming for the iPhone. Pissing me off.
    freshmakercali
  • Reply 10 of 84
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,415member
    i ordered black 128 GB iPhone 7 and black leather case with no issues. Will be delivered on Sept 16 as noted.
  • Reply 11 of 84
    Would have been nice if Schiller said on stage that Jet Black would start out in limited quantities. Clearly that's the case.
  • Reply 12 of 84
    I got screwed...as everyone mentioned, the site was slow to allow the purchase.  Once it started, I wanted to buy the Jet Black 7+, 256gb, it showed about three weeks delayed, but by the time I finished processing (had to validate AT&T), my order won't be in until almost end of October.  It happened before, when I purchased iPhone 6+.

Dang it!
  • Reply 13 of 84
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Easy. 7 Plus, Black, 256 GB, Apple Upgrade program: done and done. 

Took the free shipping option because why not?

Easy like always off my iPhone with the store app. 
    edited September 2016 nolamacguysabugacali
  • Reply 14 of 84
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    kcool said:
    "In the U.S., the preorder process appears to be running smoothly on Apple's own website" - not for me. I didn't get past the "We've got something in store for you" page until 3:12 am EDT.  I had already completed my order on the AT&T page in a second browser before the Apple page even loaded to give me an option to select anything.
    As always said millions of times before: use the damn app to make purchase!
    netmage
  • Reply 15 of 84
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    Even with Apple Store app, I couldn't make purchase fast enough: Nov delivery now...fck. Get in line on Friday then: 128GB Jet Black....
    Apple is doomed again...no phone to sell...demand to sky high!
    edited September 2016 cali
  • Reply 16 of 84
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Ok, just ordered the black SS watch with black link bracelet. Sept 30. I was hoping it would get here sooner, and maybe it will.
  • Reply 17 of 84
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,301member
    Got my Jet Black 7 with 256GB minutes shortly after preorders became available with a September 16th delivery date. Now I need to find the appropriate clear case/bumper that allows the beauty of the phone to shine through (recommendations welcome). And good luck to all of you!
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 18 of 84
    Available... unless your cellular services is through a business account and it's impossible to complete their carrier validation process (which it should let me skip because I'm just buying the phones outright). I guess Apple doesn't want our business.
  • Reply 19 of 84
    fallenjt said:
    Even with Apple Store app, I couldn't make purchase fast enough: Nov delivery now...fck. Get in line on Friday then: 128GB Jet Black....
    Apple is doomed again...no phone to sell...demand to sky high!
    Seeing a lot of unhappy people on Twitter...especially iPhone upgrade program users. Personally I think supply should be designated to them before anyone else if possible.
    jax44anantksundaramcali
  • Reply 20 of 84
    Got through the Verizon Wireless website around 3:15AM EST. Ordered Jet Black, 256GB 7+ and it should be delivered by Wed, 9/28. I ordered the newest iPhone with Verizon the last few times and they are always solid. I usually end up getting the phone a day or 2 earlier that what they state.
    freshmakercali