Apple's iPhone 7 and Apple Watch Series 2 now available for preorder [u]

Comments

• Reply 61 of 84
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member
    I ordered the black (not piano black) 256 7+.   I was tired last night and forgot about staying up or getting up to get the order in first thing.  I had wanted piano black but don't want to wait until November as I will be traveling end of October and wanted an unlocked phone by then.  The matte black shows deliver Oct 4-10.  

I may try an Apple Store next week and stand in line. We'll see how I feel then. 
  • Reply 62 of 84
    As other noted, Apple.com had a slow delay to get started. AT&T website was up right at midnight as expected, but I wanted to pre-order mine on Apple side because AT&T has restocking fee (just in case I need to return for whatever reason). I ended up ordering mine using the Apple Store App, which gave me an error when I tried to pay, but then I got a confirmation e-mail after that saying it went through. I ordered 7+ 256GB, Black, showing shipping starting September 23rd. I completed my ordering by 12:12AM.
  • Reply 63 of 84
    iqatedo said:
    The iPhone 7 Plus, 256 GB, Jet Black listed as 'sold out' in under 4 hours on Australia's largest carrier, Telstra. Apparently, many customers don't regard the 7 as an 'incremental upgrade'.

No doubt. For a phone that was supposed to be a disappointment and failure, it seems to be selling quite well. That or demand severely outstripped supply, like the Apple Watch launch. Ship time were out to November in no time in Canada. Glad I got the 128GB 7 Plus in Jet Black through my carriers presale. 166th place in line in the reservation system! :)
  • Reply 64 of 84
    melgross said:
    sog35 said:
    but, but, but, but, no one wants to buy the iPhone 7................
    Oh, oh, but my family so does want to, but we three have to wait until our two years are up in December. Frustrating, esp considering the advances in the camera(s) from the 6+, which we have to the 7+.
    Mel,

Have you considered the Apple Upgrade Program.  Sounds as if you use 24-month carrier financing.  If so, Apple provides 24-month financing, 0% interest rate, unlocked iPhone, 12-month Apple Care, and you can upgrade after 12 months.  When you upgrade, you have to pay sales tax on the total price of the new phone plus the first payment -- about $145 for a 256 GB iPhone 7 plus.

Upgrading is a hassle though (at least this year) -- I hope Apple gets their kit together for next year.

• Reply 65 of 84

sog35 said:

Do you have any idea how many servers/bandwidth is necessary to handle 20 million visitors hitting your site at the exact same time?
    Do you have any idea how EXPENSIVE it would be to allocate that much bandwidth to accomadate such a massive amount of traffic?

It would cost TENS of MILLIONS of dollars. HUGE MONEY. All for a few hours of traffic. 

That is RIDICULOUS to expect any company to spend that much money for a few hours of online traffic.

This is like expecting a city to build 12 additional lanes on the highway so there is no traffic when the Football team plays once a year. That is a ridiculous request.

I think you meant TENS of BILLIONS of dollars.

But Apple, or anyone, doesn't need to build servers/bandwidth to handle a peak load like iPhone preorders.  

Amazon, Google, IBM and others offer servers/bandwidth for short periods of time , say iPhone pre-order week or weekend.

edited September 2016
  • Reply 66 of 84
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    williamh said:
    jfc1138 said:
    TMO site has slowed to an unusable crawl :-(
    The servers cannot even deliever the correct content, including iPhone models available for sale. After 3 minute loading of the site's upgrade page apparently TMO only is willing to sale me a Samsung s7 Edge. Lol! Preorder appears to be out of the question for me here in the Bay Area tonight. Lame.
    Why not order from Apple? Their app works slick. 
    Because you get it for free if you order through t-Mobile. I only have to pay the tax and $20 activation with my iPhone 6/16gb trade-in. 
    Nothing is free. TMo get your money from their service plan ONE. I tried TMo and guess what: I have to pay $120/mo for 2 lines...sure, I pay $85 with ATT now. $35 x 24 mo = $840 + 2 iPhone 6S -> ~$1800 total there to get 2 new shiny iPhone...No, it's not FREE! I can just pay them right off and stay with ATT.
  • Reply 67 of 84
    sog35 said:
    sog35 said:
    NicB said:
    Genuinely a terrible experience for many people seemingly. Apple standing firm that the store opened at 8:01am (GMT)/12:01am (PST) and it was due to numbers that the opening was delayed for some, but I don't know anyone who got access at that point. By the time I got to order a phone, it was a 4-6 week wait AND there were no options for pick up. Atrocious and I think lessons need to be learned still. Why can't a big tech firm like Apple actually create a system able to cope with the demand they know it'll have placed on it?
    because no ecommerce system can withstand 20 million or whatever people hitting it at once. 
    Stop being such a pathetic apologist. You lose credibility when you do that. This must be, what, the 15th year that Apple -- the largest market market cap company in the world, with perhaps the smartest people, with the largest cash pile in corporate history -- is doing this? At what point do you expect them to get it right? Never?

C'mon. 
    Do you have any idea how many servers/bandwidth is necessary to handle 20 million visitors hitting your site at the exact same time?
    Do you have any idea how EXPENSIVE it would be to allocate that much bandwidth to accomadate such a massive amount of traffic?

It would cost TENS of MILLIONS of dollars. HUGE MONEY. All for a few hours of traffic. 

That is RIDICULOUS to expect any company to spend that much money for a few hours of online traffic.

This is like expecting a city to build 12 additional lanes on the highway so there is no traffic when the Football team plays once a year. That is a ridiculous request.

You are living in DREAM LAND brah. The same dream land that expects to have ZERO traffic during football games, and ZERO traffic at the local mall during Black Friday.

Go tell me what other website in the HISTORY OF MAN was able to handle 20 million users hitting the site all at once?  It has never happened, because its stupid expensive to do so.
    Stop making up stupid, non-existent numbers. 20 million? Sheesh. Stop spouting crap thrown out by apologists like @nolamacguy, who just pulled that number out of...wherever....

Figure out how Alibaba handles Singles Day. This is peanuts by comparison.

Think before you post.
    Just stop. How many countries does Alibaba handle on Singles day? One. China. That's it.

And not all shoppers hit the site at the exact same time. And Alibaba is in THE ONLINE RETAIL BUSINESS. It is worth their effort to have massive amount of servers and bandwidth. For Apple this only happens once a YEAR for a few hours. Its non sense to expect Apple to upgrade all their servers and bandwidth for a once a year event lasting a few minutes. That's DUMB and STUPID and WISHFUL THINKING.

I sure the traffic hitting all the Apple websites AROUND THE WORLD was much heavier than any moment on Single's day. Just look at AT&T, Tmobile, Sprint, Verizon...all their sites got hammered.

You are the kind of guy that expect there to be no lines during Black Friday and no traffic during the SuperBowl. Ridiculous and unrealistic expectations.  If you want faster service just wait a few hours or buy a Samsung phone.
    You know nothing at all about servers and managing volume, do you? You don't need to OWN the stuff anymore. Educate yourself on how these things work in large companies.

Also, I notice that your bogus estimate went from "20 million" to "several million" (yet another bogus estimate, pulled out of who knows where). Says all one needs to know about the quality, precision, or worth of your posts on this issue
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 68 of 84
    sog35 said:
    NicB said:
    Genuinely a terrible experience for many people seemingly. Apple standing firm that the store opened at 8:01am (GMT)/12:01am (PST) and it was due to numbers that the opening was delayed for some, but I don't know anyone who got access at that point. By the time I got to order a phone, it was a 4-6 week wait AND there were no options for pick up. Atrocious and I think lessons need to be learned still. Why can't a big tech firm like Apple actually create a system able to cope with the demand they know it'll have placed on it?
    because no ecommerce system can withstand 20 million or whatever people hitting it at once. 
    exactly. No system could handle that much traffic. 

The trolls here are pathetic.

A few days ago they were complaining that no one is going to buy the iPhone 7 because no headphone jack.....
    Now they are complaining they won't be able to get their iPhone 7 on day one. Pathtic. Loser. Trolls.

Apple acquired this company in March of last year:

FoundationDB: 14.4 Million Write Transactions per Second

FoundationDB has released a new version of their database product, aimed at enabling a new generation of Internet of Things and device-driven interactive applications to be built that keeps a single view of a massive distributed database while allowing a constant stream of read and writes to the data.

“One of the hardest things to scale is write transactions,” says Dave Rosenthal, CEO and Founder of FoundationDB, who has been working on version three of the database from for the past year. “Scaling transactions with lots of writes happening all at the same time is difficult: in the past, we have been able to manage 300-400,000 random writes to the database every second. That’s a pretty good number, but there have been some businesses pushing bigger numbers than that.”

Rosenthal cites a recent Netflix post that last year stood out as the industry’s best practice. In the documented test, Netflix were able to run Cassandra at scale on a thousand core cluster that maintained 1.1 million writes per second.

“That was one of the really cool benchmarks that caused a lot of people to stand up,” says Rosenthal. “It was about three times faster than our 2.0 product.”

According to Rosenthal, many doubted FoundationDB’s ability to take on that level of transactional capacity, especially given FoundationDB’s architecture which is built on a single node.

foundationDB transactional writes per second

With the announcement of Version Three, FoundationDB launched their new transactional processing engine: “Thas been a massive project for us. It is based on a totally new scalable design. The benchmark we are showing is running 14.4 million transactions per second, so that is an order of magnitude faster than the Netflix test.”

To enable this sort of transaction processing, FoundationDB has also released an update to its own language — Flow 2 — that is a blend of C++ and Erlang. Flow 2 provides some new batch and scale algorithms that work with the transactional processing engine to reduce latency and increase scalability.

“For example, starting a transaction with the highest level of guarantees would be a 3 millisecond operation in FoundationDB 2. Maybe you would get that down to 2 milliseconds. Now Foundation 3.0 it is going to take 3-400 microseconds, with no loss in latency when you build up volume of transactions,” says Rosenthal.

http://thenewstack.io/databases-high-volume-transactions-scale-part-two/

To put the above in perspective, a transaction is what happens when you hit the enter key.  On the Apple web site you have several screens where you hit the enter key to order an iPhone.  For estimate purposes lets say you have 20 different pages where you hit the enter key (realistically more like 10 -- even with errors).

So each user requires 20 transactions to order an iPhone. Lets also assume that FoundationDB can only sustain a rate of 5 Million transactions per second.

5 million transactions per second  /  20 transactions per customer to order an iPhone  == 250,000 customers per second in various stages of ordering a phone.

Using your 20 Million iPhone orders  /  250,000 customers per second  ==  80 seconds total transaction processing if they all hit at the same time.

Realistically, it would be a lot less strain on the transaction processing engine -- because each customer doesn't page through 20 pages immediately hitting the enter key.  Rather, he makes selections, keys in information, etc. -- likely, taking 5-10 minutes to complete his order,

Finally, countries and/or areas of the same country are handled by different servers/transaction engines and different inventory/product allocations -- say, the US left coast, right coast and flyover -- or Australia and New Zealand, China, UK, etc.

edited September 2016
  • Reply 69 of 84
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    NicB said:
    Stop being such a pathetic apologist. You lose credibility when you do that. This must be, what, the 15th year that Apple -- the largest market market cap company in the world, with perhaps the smartest people, with the largest cash pile in corporate history -- is doing this? At what point do you expect them to get it right? Never?

C'mon. 
    Yes. Never. Apple has a very long history of underestimating demand. When I bought my first Mac, back in early 1992, I had to wait 6 weeks for it to come. Not much has changed. Apple has always had the perspective of thinking that things aren't going to sell as well as they might, and so they tend to underestimate demand.

i think another problem esp for the phone and iPad is that the yearly release, which is always major, despite what some think, has the manufacturing of product as late in the process as it it because of the time factor of getting everything right. That means that not enough product can be manufactured for release.

in saying all this, I read, maybe about a year ago, that a top executive at possibly Foxconn, said that when Apple requests five manufacturing lines, they give them three. So that could be a factor as well.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 70 of 84
    NicB said:

C'mon. 

It's not all Apple.  Apple could have the bestest servers on the internet, an unlimited bandwidth connection to the internet, and some people will still have a problem because their own internet connection sucks.  Or because they're using a provider who throttles bandwidth after using a certain amount.  Or because somebody else's data center goes brown, or even dark, causing everyone to be routed around it.  Or many other reasons.

Rayz2016watto_cobra
  • Reply 71 of 84
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    melgross said:
    sog35 said:
    but, but, but, but, no one wants to buy the iPhone 7................
    Oh, oh, but my family so does want to, but we three have to wait until our two years are up in December. Frustrating, esp considering the advances in the camera(s) from the 6+, which we have to the 7+.
    Mel,

Have you considered the Apple Upgrade Program.  Sounds as if you use 24-month carrier financing.  If so, Apple provides 24-month financing, 0% interest rate, unlocked iPhone, 12-month Apple Care, and you can upgrade after 12 months.  When you upgrade, you have to pay sales tax on the total price of the new phone plus the first payment -- about $145 for a 256 GB iPhone 7 plus.

Upgrading is a hassle though (at least this year) -- I hope Apple gets their kit together for next year.

Yeah, but it's not as good as it sounds. While I have been upgrading my iPads every year, and will upgrade my 12.9" pro when the next one comes out, I may wait every two years after that one as well.

it really doesn't seem to be worthwhile to upgrade our phones every year. Yes, there are major improvements. But are they really enough to make an upgrade worthwhile? Not for us. But, if next years' phones are as major as we keep reading they are, maybe we'll do that. It's not the money as much as it just doesn't seem worth the bother for most yearly improvements.
  • Reply 72 of 84
    melgross said:
    NicB said:

C'mon. 
    Yes. Never. Apple has a very long history of underestimating demand. When I bought my first Mac, back in early 1992, I had to wait 6 weeks for it to come. Not much has changed. Apple has always had the perspective of thinking that things aren't going to sell as well as they might, and so they tend to underestimate demand.

i think another problem esp for the phone and iPad is that the yearly release, which is always major, despite what some think, has the manufacturing of product as late in the process as it it because of the time factor of getting everything right. That means that not enough product can be manufactured for release.

in saying all this, I read, maybe about a year ago, that a top executive at possibly Foxconn, said that when Apple requests five manufacturing lines, they give them three. So that could be a factor as well.

Yes, this is all on Apple.  Back in the early days, they had no talent to estimate demand.  Then with the second coming, Steve was cautious because of Apple's near-death experience.  Tim got the manufacturing supply chain under control -- but not so for estimating demand.

It could be something as simple as:

Phil: "Hey Siri, here's our new product catalog for the upcoming release."

Siri:  "Got it"

Phil:  "Hey Siri, ask Watson what the demand for each product will be by model, country and timeframe."

Siri:  "Watson says, based on your history, economic conditions, and the new products -- you will sell..."

Just a little toungue-in-cheek!

edited September 2016
  • Reply 73 of 84
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member

sog35 said:
    NicB said:

C'mon. 

You are living in DREAM LAND brah. The same dream land that expects to have ZERO traffic during football games, and ZERO traffic at the local mall during Black Friday.

Go tell me what other website in the HISTORY OF MAN was able to handle 20 million users hitting the site all at once?  It has never happened, because its stupid expensive to do so.
    Stop making up stupid, non-existent numbers. 20 million? Sheesh. Stop spouting crap thrown out by apologists like @nolamacguy, who just pulled that number out of...wherever....

Think before you post.
    We're supposed to believe that at midnight PST there were 20 million people online trying to buy a new iPhone? Haha that's funny.
    It is not midnight everywhere else in the world, just saying. The preorder opened for 28 countries including China so 20 million people is far from impossible.
    edited September 2016 watto_cobra
  • Reply 74 of 84
    kevin kee said:

sog35 said:
    NicB said:

C'mon. 

Think before you post.
    We're supposed to believe that at midnight PST there were 20 million people online trying to buy a new iPhone? Haha that's funny.
    It is not midnight everywhere else in the world, just saying. The preorder opened for 28 countries including China so 20 million people is far from impossible.

But they're not all hitting the same web servers.

• Reply 75 of 84
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    kevin kee said:

sog35 said:
    NicB said:

C'mon. 

Think before you post.

But they're not all hitting the same web servers.

That's true, I was just commenting the scale of the people who pre-ordered it at exact same time around the world. If anything, kudos for Apple to be able to pull through this relatively smooth process.
  • Reply 76 of 84
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member
    32GB iPhone 7 Silver ordered on the apple site for pickup in store 9/16. Never had a launch day iPhone, so looking forward to this.

I wasn't going to upgrade my 5s, but it has started having battery issues. I got my money's worth over 3 years.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 77 of 84

I just tried, again, to set up an upgrade reservation.

I tried all the stores in Northern California.

It was very tedious!  No luck!
    • select a store
    • select an iPhone style/color/size
    • select a carrier
    • rinse and repeat

The Apple site really sucks!

It would be much better if the site let you enter:
    • your zip code
    • iphone style/color/size
    • your carrier
    • your timeframe

Then do a single search and list any matches -- maybe offer alternatives.

Why make the customer do the tedious, one-at-a-time dos y dos -- that's what computers are for?

edited September 2016
  • Reply 78 of 84
     Literally most people here. Lol
  • Reply 79 of 84
    NicB said:

C'mon. 
    this is what I do for a living, so unless you can refute what I said with intelligent data points instead of insults, kindly do the needful and fuck off. 

but it you won't -- we know what apple trolls do. they shit on things, over and over, to make up for whatever mental damage or life frustrations you have in the real world that compels such odd behavior. 
    Ah, elevating the quality of discussions in the Forum again, I see. Exactly what I expected. You are incapable of advancing a conversation. It is precisely your type of inane, sophomoric, invective-laden, knee-jerk responses that I am sure make Apple cringe.

But I not holding my breath that you are capable being able to step back and reflect on what people like you, in the final analysis, do to Apple's reputation. With 'fans' like you, the company does not need enemies.
  • Reply 80 of 84
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    So was the sellout of pre-orders, and the push back on delivery dates, for all models, or just the jet black version that most on this thread wanted to purchase?  The one which was expected to have the most limited quantity due to it being available only in the higher storage models (and rumours of shortages)?