Apple Upgrade Program participants complain of no stock, scheduling problems

Comments

• Reply 21 of 82
    Soli said:
    The whole point of the program is to be able to get a new phone after 12 months, not 14 or 15.
    You seriously thought the point of the program was to magically make components appear out of thin air because you signed a contract? Did Dumbledore send this agreement to you via owl?
    The point is that the program is actually a 2 year deal ... you get to trade in after a year and your contract restarts for another 2 years. That means that you slowly creep up to stretching the exchange period past the 2 year deal ... if you can't get an upgrade until 15 months, they have you on the hook for 2 years and 3 months.
    anantksundaram
  • Reply 22 of 82
    Luckily I've never had a problem pre-ordering from T-Mobile and this is the fourth year in a row I'm getting it no more than a week after release :)
  • Reply 23 of 82

kpom said:
    I think it depended on location. I was able to place an order at 2:08am CDT and get an 8:00-8:30am reservation on 9/16 at the Michigan Avenue store for the Jet Black 128GB iPhone 7. I was a bit worried since I want the Verizon model and ordered the AT&T model last year. But I put my Verizon SIM into my AT&T iPhone 6S and the App both defaulted to Verizon and recognized that the phone was purchased through the Upgrade Program and it let me complete the reservation.
    The availability of the iPhone 7 seems to be more solid, but the 7 Plus seemed like a unicorn to many people I was interacting with on twitter last night. I wanted a Jet Black 7 Plus but the moment the site went live, T-Mobile was already not an option for the 7 Plus in any color whatsoever. I ended up reserving a Jet Black iPhone 7 that way I at least have something reserved. 
    This was similar to my experience. I got in about 7 minutes after and the 7Plus 256 was available only in Rose Gold at my local Santa Monica store. Looking around at other stores in the LA area showed T-Mobile being sold out. I was finally able to find a 7 Plus 256 at The Grove in Silver and while I could live with that color, I am hoping they will have extra stock of the Black versions so that I can swap out with an 8:00 am slot on Friday.
  • Reply 24 of 82

It's all good.  The iPhone is extremely popular.  
    Whether you have a subscription or buy it outright, the demand will outstrip the supply...  Nothing new here...

I luckily upgraded to a gold iPhone 7 with 256GB this morning between 3:45a and 4:00a.
    I had a choice of 2 to 3 weeks for shipment or Store pickup on the 16th, so I went with the store pickup. :smiley: 
    Hopefully there is no long line at the store.

Jet black was out of stock right away. This is a supply issue. So is there a manufacturing issue? Or did Apple not realize how popular these black models would be? Doesn't seem to be a shortage of gold and silver models.
    Considering both the black colors are new, I am not surprised that supply was limited, but here in LA, even the gold and silver models were in short supply depending on the capacity and model.
  • Reply 25 of 82
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

AppleInsider has reached out to Apple for comment on the matter.
    I absolutely love this. C|net puts this blurb at the end of most of its Apple hit pieces too. As if Apple would be interested in responding to a two-bit blog that has no influence on anything it does. WSJ, NYT,  Walt Mossberg? Yes. AI? Not a chance.
    edited September 2016 nolamacguydisneylandmansingularity
  • Reply 26 of 82
    I am in the upgrade program. At 330 this morning, I ordered Plus 256 silver thru my phone that is in the program. The App Store recognized my phone is in the program and I continued ordering. Surprisingly, it gave me two radio buttons to get my new phone. Mail or go to a store. I selected store because I read the old phone have to be reviewed by a person. After entering the CC and other required info, it showed the phone is no longer available. I do not remember what I clicked but I ended back where it gave me the two radio buttons. I selected store again looking for any available. When nothing was available I then selected ship. It took my order. This morning my CC was charge the initial charges and got an email from Citizens bank. I also received an email from Apple Store confirming. None of the information I received states there is a swap in process From and To. I then decided to pretend to upgrade again via the App Store. It tells me my phone is already tied to an existing order.

I am not sure what will happen to my old phone and contract.
  • Reply 27 of 82
    I was unable to make a reservation last night as the reservation system literally said the phone I wanted, 7+ black 128 GB was not available in any store anywhere in the country less than a minute after the store went live (around 12:02 am PDT).  I checked other colors and capacities, but the only 7+ ones available were Rose Gold 32 GB and 256 GB and those weren't even in the same store.   If I wanted a 7 I could have gotten a reservation for that, but I want a 7+. 

Anyone signing up new for the upgrade could have the phone I wanted shipped by the 23rd, but as an existing plan user I was SOL.

What's worse is instead of paying 12 payments, I'll now have to pay 13 or 14, so basically Apple gets extra money from me because of their supply problem.  That makes me wonder if this was done on purpose as last year, when first time upgrade program users had to make store appointments, I was able to get a launch day appointment very easily. 
    anantksundaram
  • Reply 28 of 82
    morac said:
    I was unable to make a reservation last night as the reservation system literally said the phone I wanted, 7+ black 128 GB was not available in any store anywhere in the country less than a minute after the store went live (around 12:02 am PDT).  I checked other colors and capacities, but the only 7+ ones available were Rose Gold 32 GB and 256 GB and those weren't even in the same store.   If I wanted a 7 I could have gotten a reservation for that, but I want a 7+. 

Anyone signing up new for the upgrade could have the phone I wanted shipped by the 23rd, but as an existing plan user I was SOL.

What's worse is instead of paying 12 payments, I'll now have to pay 13 or 14, so basically Apple gets extra money from me because of their supply problem.  That makes me wonder if this was done on purpose as last year, when first time upgrade program users had to make store appointments, I was able to get a launch day appointment very easily. 

I expect  that when Apple realizes the magnitude of their screw-up for loyal upgrade customers -- that they will accommodate us to our satisfaction.

Reminds me of an old adage from when I worked for IBM:  

"If you're going to screw-up -- then screw-up royally!  Nobody will remember what you did -- but, they'll remember your name!.

This is a royal Apple screw-up -- Jeff, Angela, Phill, Tim.

Make it right!

edited September 2016 rogifan_new
  • Reply 29 of 82
    morac said:

What's worse is instead of paying 12 payments, I'll now have to pay 13 or 14....
    This is an EXCELLENT point, and one that had not occurred to me. Given that the implied contract is for 12 payments, someone could reasonably argue that it is, in turn, an implied promise to deliver the new model before the end of month 13. I.e., it makes sense to be treated as a priority customer when the new model arrives.

I am guessing that Apple will have to make major changes to the Upgrade program.

(I should add that I have no dog in the hunt, since I typically buy my phones outright; I got my 128GB Jet Black 7+ with no hassles within five minutes of the Store opening, delivering on Sep 23rd, and I am quite fine with that).
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 30 of 82
    I enrolled when I purchased my new 7 via my iPad Store app last night. Hope they iron out these problems by the time I'm ready to swap next year. My wife, on the other hand, got her 6S last year under the program, so is eligible to upgrade this month. Think we'll wait for the dust to settle before attempting a trade-up. 

I just signed up last night too, I should have read about the whole program and such first. We only have 1 apple store here, and the next is like 40-50 miles away. But since it's my first time it's being delivered. Next year will be interesting.
  • Reply 31 of 82
    Soli said:
    The whole point of the program is to be able to get a new phone after 12 months, not 14 or 15.
    You seriously thought the point of the program was to magically make components appear out of thin air because you signed a contract? Did Dumbledore send this agreement to you via owl?
    What are you talking about? Some iPhone Upgrade Program customers were unable to order phones when others were. All because Apple put them in a separate queue and limited them to in store stock. Some got a message saying Apple wasn't taking reservations anymore and to come back on September 17. Who wants to get up in the middle of the night to see that message?  I'm sorry I think it's a mess and certainly could be handled better.
    anantksundarampbrutto
  • Reply 32 of 82
    morac said:

What's worse is instead of paying 12 payments, I'll now have to pay 13 or 14....
    This is an EXCELLENT point, and one that had not occurred to me. Given that the implied contract is for 12 payments, someone could reasonably argue that it is, in turn, an implied promise to deliver the new model before the end of month 13. I.e., it makes sense to be treated as a priority customer when the new model arrives.

I am guessing that Apple will have to make major changes to the Upgrade program.

(I should add that I have no dog in the hunt, since I typically buy my phones outright; I got my 128GB Jet Black 7+ with no hassles within five minutes of the Store opening, delivering on Sep 23rd, and I am quite fine with that).
    The cost of the phone in your existing contract wouldn't continue to extend, it would simply end, while you'd continue to pay for the use of the network because the cost of the phone is amortized across your contract.
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 33 of 82
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Soli said:
    What are you talking about? Some iPhone Upgrade Program customers were unable to order phones when others were. All because Apple put them in a separate queue and limited them to in store stock. Some got a message saying Apple wasn't taking reservations anymore and to come back on September 17. Who wants to get up in the middle of the night to see that message?  I'm sorry I think it's a mess and certainly could be handled better.
    Boo-fucking-hoo! Just because no wants to "get up in the middle of the night to see that message" doesn't mean you need to act like an entitled prick when it comes to demand outstripping supply.
    disneylandmanmike1fastasleeppscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 82
    From another forum:

Solifastasleeppscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 82
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    Was it ever guaranteed or implied that Apple Upgrade participants would receive a new phone on the fist day of sale?
    fastasleeppscooter63
  • Reply 36 of 82
    Soli said:
    All the program does is allow a person to be ELIGIBLE to upgrade their phone each year.  It does not ENTITLE them to be handed a phone on the very first day.  If a person wants to upgrade each year using the program, they have to wait with all the other people in the program.  Did you think you were the only one in the program?  This happens every year with the regular pre-orders.  The initial stock is wiped out within minutes and then people cry because they have to wait a few more weeks, or a month, to get their new phone.  

In 2012, I had to buy an iPhone for a new job and it was two months before the iPhone 5 release.  I could not wait for the 5 release, so I had to get a 4S.  So two years later, I was eager to get the 6 Plus to replace the 4S, and waited those extra months to fulfill the contract and skip the 5S.  This time around, I would like to upgrade to the 7 Plus, but I am not in any rush to get it.  The 6 Plus is no slouch, so I have no problem waiting for the demand to die down and stock to replenish at a local store.  So if you are complaining about upgrading your 6S to a 7 because you think you are entitled to something special in this program, then it sounds like you are just acting a little spoiled.  It is a phone, get over it.  What do you expect when over a million people try to hit the site all at the same time?
    Solimike1fastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 82
    morac said:

The cost of the phone in your existing contract wouldn't continue to extend, it would simply end, while you'd continue to pay for the use of the network because the cost of the phone is amortized across your contract.
    Huh?
  • Reply 38 of 82
    Whether this was Apple's intention or not from what I'm seeing on social media a lot of iPhone Upgrade Program members feel like they should have first dibs on stock and are pissed that the phone they wanted is showing November availability. The whole point of the program is to be able to get a new phone after 12 months, not 14 or 15. Heck I just got an email from Apple this morning telling me I'm eligible for an upgrade. I'd like to see Apple communicate this better. If there's nothing special about this program and you might not be able to upgrade until after 13 or 14 months it would be nice to know,
    I keep telling people in other forums. First come first serve is fine! That's how it should be! We were not even given the chance to order, cannot order, and were told to come back Friday. How would you feel if you woke up or stayed up to order and couldn't even get a spot in the line? That's the issue here....we don't want preferential treatment, we just want to be able to order and try to get it before it sells out like everybody else. We were denied that opportunity.
    anantksundaram
  • Reply 39 of 82
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    I hope at least some of the people complaining about the difficulty in obtaining an iPhone 7 were among those who complained that the 7 was a mediocre update or something much less than what Apple should have released, because after all it didn't include the perpetual motion power source and personal jet pack that they fully expected - because it's Apple and that's what they should have produced.

Even the disappointed must wait.  :D
    mike1pscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 82
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    Boo-fucking-hoo! Just because no wants to "get up in the middle of the night to see that message" doesn't mean you need to act like an entitled prick when it comes to demand outstripping supply.
    Again you're not getting it. Other people were able to order phones! Everyone should be treated the same.
    anantksundaram