How Apple achieves the high-gloss 'jet black' color on the iPhone 7 & 7 Plus

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    I can just imagine they are printing this 'recipe' out at Scamsung HQ and getting to work on a copy at this very moment.
    It's very likely Samsung will soon be offering a piano black finish on new smartphones. Maybe they'll even add it to their newest Galaxy Note 7 phablet on the second go-'round. Apple can't patent the finish so I'm sure a lot of Android smartphones will try to duplicate that piano black finish. Although I understand where Apple is coming from to distinguish their iPhones, it almost seems like a waste to put that much time and effort into a finish. I'm sure Wall Street sees it that way as being a completely useless 'feature' lacking in innovation.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 31
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    zoetmb said:
    brucemc said:
    designr said:
    "Apple in fact warns that this layer ismore prone to showing scratching and scuffing, and hence people should use a case if they want to keep a device untarnished."

LOL. They spend all of this time and energy creating this gorgeous shell...and then recommend people cover it. This is in the same vein of phones that are getting so thin that you need a case just to be able to pick them up.

Irony: It's what's for dinner.

Serious question.  What do you recommend as a better course of action?  Try to think of this from Apple's perspective, or just any business, not the perspective of someone simply looks to criticize.

1) Not produce such a finish in the first place?  
    - Consider though that reviewers who had access to the iPhone 7 on Sept. 7th said this was the best looking model.
    - Apple gets more than its fair share of criticism that its devices are lacking "dazzle" or "wow factor".  One way to do that is to have a really great looking finish.
    - Lots of positive press for Samsung with the Edge, even though it makes the device more fragile and has no (real) benefits.  But it is "cool"

2) Not recommend a case for those that want to maintain a pristine look for the phone.  Wouldn't the complaint then be that Apple wasn't being honest?

3) Make a jet black material with a magic quality that is impervious to any scratches?
    Rather any one specific issue, I think the broader and bigger issue is that Apple is obsessed with form over function, but in the real world, one has to cover up that form anyway, so what is really the point?   Instead of being obsessed with thinness, I would much rather have a slightly thicker phone with much longer battery life.   Or better audio (although the new phones claim to improve it).    They're obviously obsessed with this 'magical' process to create this black gloss and it is quite impressive, but then you have to cover it up to protect it.   So again, what's the point?  Just so they can make an impressive TV commercial with Jony doing the voice over?   

I can't tell you the number of times I've seen someone using an iPhone without a case and I thought, "oh that new iPhone looks really nice" and then realized later that they had the exact model I have, but mine is in a case so I never really get to see the beautiful and thin design, except on the few occasions when I take it out of the case to clean out all the dust particles that accumulate.  

The MacBook they released with just that one USB-C port is another example of form over function.   I imagine Jony getting all excited that the rest of the case isn't broken up by ports and that he made this rose gold color, but does anyone there actually use these machines in the real world for real work?     If they pull that crap with the next MacBook Pro, I will no longer be an Apple customer and I've been one for almost 40 years.  
    So what's the point of making "the most stunning device I've ever seen"? (Gruber) 

Well, if you have to ask, the answer will be lost on you.
    edited September 2016 watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 31
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,453member
    I can just imagine they are printing this 'recipe' out at Scamsung HQ and getting to work on a copy at this very moment.
    It's very likely Samsung will soon be offering a piano black finish on new smartphones. Maybe they'll even add it to their newest Galaxy Note 7 phablet on the second go-'round. Apple can't patent the finish so I'm sure a lot of Android smartphones will try to duplicate that piano black finish. Although I understand where Apple is coming from to distinguish their iPhones, it almost seems like a waste to put that much time and effort into a finish. I'm sure Wall Street sees it that way as being a completely useless 'feature' lacking in innovation.
    Because Wall Street has nothing under its dead, black, shiny surface, it thinks it knows something useless when it sees it?
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 24 of 31
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    sog35 said:
    cnocbui said:
    sog35 said:
    cnocbui said:
    sog35 said:
    designr said:
    "Apple in fact warns that this layer ismore prone to showing scratching and scuffing, and hence people should use a case if they want to keep a device untarnished."

LOL. They spend all of this time and energy creating this gorgeous shell...and then recommend people cover it. This is in the same vein of phones that are getting so thin that you need a case just to be able to pick them up.

Irony: It's what's for dinner.

Apple is simply protecting themself from stupid law suits.

Anyone with half a brain knows that ANY SURFACE that is glossy black will accumulate micro scratches.

It isn't that shiny black surfaces are more prone to scratches. Its that shiny black surfaces show scratches easier. A silver/gold surface won't refract as much light so the scratches are easier to see.

Anyone with a black car knows this 
    Anyone with a black Rado ceramic knows that there are exceptions to generalisations.

Also, there is a limmited edition One Plus phone made from Ceramic.  You would have  tough time scratching that:

Nope Rado watches scratch also.

http://www.thewatchforum.co.uk/index.php?/topic/34027-my-rado-is-scratches/

And Rado ceramic looks no where near as cool as Jet Black iPhone

From the link you quoted:

Both my girlfriend and brother own Rado watches and both of their pieces are immaculate and my brother does all sort of tasks whilst wearing his.

YMWV duh.

fact is Rado isn't scratch proof.
    No they aren't, diamonds and tungsten carbide will give them a hard time time.  Most other materials won't.  I use a Kyocera knife in the kitchen.  You can onyy sharpen it with diamonds.
  • Reply 25 of 31
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    There already is a black S7.

• Reply 26 of 31
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    Samsung will have a new phone in 3 months and call their color "Rocket Black."
    They already have a phone with "charred black"
    fastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 31
    williamh said:
    sog35 said:
    designr said:

Apple is simply protecting themself from stupid law suits.

Instead of trying to protect themselves from lawsuits by warning of a problem they know people will have, perhaps they would better serve their customers by sticking with more durable finishes.  It seems Apple is so enthralled by their own cleverness that they can't give up a flawed finish.  Why should anyone care how complicated it was to make the phone really shiny? And then advise us to hide the shine?
    I didn't interpret this as "advice" to put jet black iPhones in cases. I seems more of a friendly piece of information about micro-scratching, which a prospective buyer would appreciate before making a decision. According to the article, "people should use a case if they want to keep a device untarnished." Otherwise, not.
  • Reply 28 of 31
    I'm going to get a clear case for my Jet Black iPhone 7 and the best one I found is by Tech 21. I've used their cases on previous iPhone models and been very pleased with them. If interested, here's a link: https://www.tech21.com/en_us
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 29 of 31
    A case can be made of black zirconium and that would be immune to any kind of scratching. I have a number of dental implants made of the stuff. Might be a little expensive. White would be a better choice for zirconium. Zirconium is a metal.
  • Reply 30 of 31
    anomeanome Posts: 1,545member

I ordered Jet Black, and I don't usually use a case. I expect I might dig out the microfiber cleaning cloth that came with the 4, to wipe It down periodically. Or buy a new one. (It'd be nice if Apple included one again, at least for the Jet Black model, but it's not like they're hard to get.)

The next question is whether they'll do Jet Black for the iPad when they next refresh it. Or the MacBooks. Things that will be even harder to keep scratch free, if only due to increased surface area. (If they do, then I'm definitely in. Want to have everything match.)