Apple Upgrade Program participants complain of no stock, scheduling problems

Comments

• Reply 41 of 82
    Soli said:
    The whole point of the program is to be able to get a new phone after 12 months, not 14 or 15.
    You seriously thought the point of the program was to magically make components appear out of thin air because you signed a contract? Did Dumbledore send this agreement to you via owl?
    What are you talking about? Some iPhone Upgrade Program customers were unable to order phones when others were. All because Apple put them in a separate queue and limited them to in store stock. Some got a message saying Apple wasn't taking reservations anymore and to come back on September 17. Who wants to get up in the middle of the night to see that message?  I'm sorry I think it's a mess and certainly could be handled better.
    All the program does is allow a person to be ELIGIBLE to upgrade their phone each year.  It does not ENTITLE them to be handed a phone on the very first day.  If a person wants to upgrade each year using the program, they have to wait with all the other people in the program.  Did you think you were the only one in the program?  This happens every year with the regular pre-orders.  The initial stock is wiped out within minutes and then people cry because they have to wait a few more weeks, or a month, to get their new phone.  

In 2012, I had to buy an iPhone for a new job and it was two months before the iPhone 5 release.  I could not wait for the 5 release, so I had to get a 4S.  So two years later, I was eager to get the 6 Plus to replace the 4S, and waited those extra months to fulfill the contract and skip the 5S.  This time around, I would like to upgrade to the 7 Plus, but I am not in any rush to get it.  The 6 Plus is no slouch, so I have no problem waiting for the demand to die down and stock to replenish at a local store.  So if you are complaining about upgrading your 6S to a 7 because you think you are entitled to something special in this program, then it sounds like you are just acting a little spoiled.  It is a phone, get over it.  What do you expect when over a million people try to hit the site all at the same time?
    Again I feel like a broken record. It's not that no one could order a phone it's that all customers weren't given the same first come first serve chance. Some people were getting a message that Apple wasn't taking any more reservations and to come back on the 17th while others who were not part of the upgrade program were still able to order.
  • Reply 42 of 82

mike1 said:
    Was it ever guaranteed or implied that Apple Upgrade participants would receive a new phone on the fist day of sale?
    No but it also wasn't implied that they would be put in a different queue with access to a smaller quantity of stock. Why should an upgrade program customer have to wait until the 17th (or be told the phone won't be in stock until November) when other customers are still able to order? And if Apple has such a limited supply of black phones maybe don't launch the black phone until they can better meet demand?
  • Reply 43 of 82
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    The whole point of the program is to be able to get a new phone after 12 months, not 14 or 15.
    You seriously thought the point of the program was to magically make components appear out of thin air because you signed a contract? Did Dumbledore send this agreement to you via owl?
    What are you talking about? Some iPhone Upgrade Program customers were unable to order phones when others were. All because Apple put them in a separate queue and limited them to in store stock. Some got a message saying Apple wasn't taking reservations anymore and to come back on September 17. Who wants to get up in the middle of the night to see that message?  I'm sorry I think it's a mess and certainly could be handled better.
    Boo-fucking-hoo! Just because no wants to "get up in the middle of the night to see that message" doesn't mean you need to act like an entitled prick when it comes to demand outstripping supply.
    Again you're not getting it. Other people were able to order phones! Everyone should be treated the same.
    1) Your initial comment made no indication about being treated as equals, but instead focused on what you interpreted as "the whole point of the program."

2) If you don't like the program then buy yourself out of it (or just keep paying the monthly installments), sell your current iPhone, and buy a new one if you feel the Apple Upgrade Program isn't suiting your needs. Don't pretend that you don't have options.
    SpamSandwichwatto_cobranolamacguy
  • Reply 44 of 82
    I feel cheated being on the apple upgrade program.  I would have taken a Matte or jet black 128 or 256 gig 7 plus.  Got on soon as preorders started with zero issues, clicked my store, choice of phone, and all models except 32 gig rose gold were out of stock.  People wouldn't enroll in the apple upgrade program if they didn't want the newest one every year.

apple should send out first dibs emails of launch day stock before they give them to retailers and carriers and allow current upgrade program members to either agree to upgrade on launch day or not.  Then what's left should go out everywhere else. Now I likely won't see an iPhone til December unless I stalk my local Apple Store and get there at the right time to get lucky when one comes in  
  • Reply 45 of 82
    People wouldn't enroll in the apple upgrade program if they didn't want the newest one every year. 
    1) Not necessarily. The program offers other benefits to those that want to hold onto their iPhone for longer than year, want an unlocked device after the contract is over, don't want to pay for the device up front, are planning to get AppleCare+ but hate paying for additional coverage they won't use, and I'm sure there are several more reasons but those were just off the top of my head as benefits that pushed me into the iPhone Upgrade Program.

2) Your comment makes the assumption that Apple should hold off all sales until you get the one you want because feel entitled. That's your problem!
    edited September 2016 nolamacguy
  • Reply 46 of 82

mike1 said:
    Was it ever guaranteed or implied that Apple Upgrade participants would receive a new phone on the fist day of sale?
    No but it also wasn't implied that they would be put in a different queue with access to a smaller quantity of stock. Why should an upgrade program customer have to wait until the 17th (or be told the phone won't be in stock until November) when other customers are still able to order? And if Apple has such a limited supply of black phones maybe don't launch the black phone until they can better meet demand?
    Why would a phone locked to a carrier be available but not an unlocked device? Do you honestly not recall that Apple has traditionally left unlocked iPhones off the market until supply and demand equalized a bit, yet you're upset that some iPhone Upgrade Program members bought the unlocked iPhone model before you could get to it, but that some locked versions are still available? Seriously?!
    nolamacguy
  • Reply 47 of 82
    Soli said:
    People wouldn't enroll in the apple upgrade program if they didn't want the newest one every year. 
    1) Not necessarily. The program offers other benefits to those that want to hold onto their iPhone for longer than year, want an unlocked device after the contract is over, don't want to pay for the device up front, are planning to get AppleCare+ but hate paying for additional coverage they won't use, and I'm sure there are several more reasons but those were just off the top of my head as benefits that pushed me into the iPhone Upgrade Program.

2) Your comment makes the assumption that Apple should hold off all sales until you get the one you want because feel entitled. That's your problem!
    All that I'm saying is Apple should send out emails a month or two before launch to loyal Apple upgrade program members.  They don't have to hold off all sales.  We should get at least the chance to pre reserve ours before regular customers, like you said not everyone wants to upgrade early and they can decline the pre reservation as I mentioned.  Whatever is left will be available for preorder on the normal preorder dat 
  • Reply 48 of 82
    Soli said:

All that I'm saying is Apple should send out emails a month or two before launch to loyal Apple upgrade program members.  They don't have to hold off all sales.  We should get at least the chance to pre reserve ours before regular customers, like you said not everyone wants to upgrade early and they can decline the pre reservation as I mentioned.  Whatever is left will be available for preorder on the normal preorder dat 
    All that is your sense of misplaced entitlement. Read the fucking contract you digitally signed; the only breach is in your rationale, not the contract through the 3rd-party finance company.

• Reply 49 of 82
    sog35 said:
    I feel cheated being on the apple upgrade program.  I would have taken a Matte or jet black 128 or 256 gig 7 plus.  Got on soon as preorders started with zero issues, clicked my store, choice of phone, and all models except 32 gig rose gold were out of stock.  People wouldn't enroll in the apple upgrade program if they didn't want the newest one every year.

apple should send out first dibs emails of launch day stock before they give them to retailers and carriers and allow current upgrade program members to either agree to upgrade on launch day or not.  Then what's left should go out everywhere else. Now I likely won't see an iPhone til December unless I stalk my local Apple Store and get there at the right time to get lucky when one comes in  
    Dude you are not special.

Being on the Apple upgrade plan does not give you special benefits. In fact Apple makes LESS PROFIT on upgrade customers. 

You are getting AppleCare at a discounted rate AND no interest loan for 24 months.

The real SPECIAL customers are the carriers who buy HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS OF PHONES and other customers who pay the full price UP FRONT.
    Special or not this is the first iPhone launch I've had issues with getting on launch day or even a week after launch and I've had every iPhone since the beginning.  They didn't do the upgrade program members right plain and simple.  I shouldn't be able to get the minute the preorders go live and see out of stock on every single model and color in the 7 plus's. They should have at least allowed us to get in line with everyone else and set up an Apple Store Appointment on a later date to upgrade or be notified when your phone of choice is available 
  • Reply 50 of 82
    Things that are more special than the people that decided not to pay full retail price for their iPhone last year, but instead sign up for an installment plan.

edited September 2016 boredumb
  • Reply 51 of 82
    What have we done to the children?

• Reply 52 of 82
    sog35 said:
    Trolls: I get a 24 month interest free loan and discounted AppleCare. 

Dude: I payed $900 upfront to buy my phone

Trolls: but I'm special and loyal!  I should get the same access to phones as you!!!

You want a cookie???  Because no one cares how much you spend on your phone!!  I'm not dumb enough to pay 900 for a phone just because I can when j can get it for 500
  • Reply 53 of 82
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    Boo-fucking-hoo! Just because no wants to "get up in the middle of the night to see that message" doesn't mean you need to act like an entitled prick when it comes to demand outstripping supply.
    Again you're not getting it. Other people were able to order phones! Everyone should be treated the same.

Actually, the case could be made that loyal customers who upgrade every 12 months via the upgrade plan should be treated as preferred customers -- and maybe have a bigger allotment set aside for them... and a web site that is easier to use *

* This is the process to order an upgrade phone if you are already on  the plan.  If you want to change anything, you restart from step 1:
    1. re-select the model
    2. re-select the carrier
    3. re-select the finish (color)
    4. re-select the capacity
    5. re-select the upgrade program
    6. re-select "I'm already part of the program"
    7. re-enter the serial number
    8. re-enter the last 4 digits of IMEI number
    9. re-qualify
    10. re-select Reserve to Upgrade in Store
    11. re-select a state
    12. re-select a store
    13. re-select Continue
    14. re-enter your Apple ID
    15. re-enter your Password
    16. re-click the forward arrow
    17. re-select a time
    18. re-verify your contact information
    19. re-select Confirm Reservation

It usually breaks down at step 11 or 12 as the store you selected doesn't have the model/carrier/finish/capacity you seek -- so you select another store until you find what you seek or none.  In that case you go back to step 1.

It is my contention that the whole upgrade should be performed on-line (no reservation or trip to the store -- unless the customer wants it.
    1. Apple ships you the new iPhone and charges your CC the full price of the iPhone.
    2. When you receive the new iPhone you swap in the SIM from the old iPhone.
    3. You use the shipping box and a free return label to return the old iPhone.
    4. When Apple receives your old iPhone it examines/analyzes it.
    5. Apple debits your Credit card accordingly.

5 steps quick, steps instead of 15 slow, tedious steps...  For years, Apple has done iPhone repair/swaps this way!

edited September 2016 gatorguynolamacguy
  • Reply 54 of 82
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    How would that be possible? They're limited to stock on hand.
  • Reply 55 of 82

How would you feel if you had ordered the Samsung Galaxy Note 7 right now?
    Solipscooter63pbrutto
  • Reply 56 of 82
    Soli said:

You could pre-qualify and pre-reserve -- and Apple would get valuable marketing demand information -- and more accurately allocate the limited supply to satisfy that demand.

• Reply 57 of 82
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    How would that be possible? They're limited to stock on hand.

Don't you that it's a little odd that Apple can do a masterful job of supply chain management -- where parts, people, packaging, production are efficiently brought together to create the finished goods -- the iPhones,

Then that Apple allocating those finished goods to satisfy demand (when/how much/where) -- is a disaster.  

Apple can do better, much better...

Based on:
    • Apple's past history
    • current economic situation
    • current competitive situation
    • marketing analysis

For example, one thing Apple could do is contact people already on the upgrade program and:

• tell them they are eligible for an upgrade
    • ask if they are considering an upgrade
    • ask if they would like to pre-qualify to streamline the process
    • ask if they would like to pre-reserve for their convenience

Based on the feedback from this positive marketing program, Apple could more accurately match limited supply to demand -- and even get an idea of manufacturing requirements.

edited September 2016 rogifan_new
  • Reply 58 of 82
    sog35 said:
    sog35 said:

Being on the Apple upgrade plan does not give you special benefits. In fact Apple makes LESS PROFIT on upgrade customers. 

You are getting AppleCare at a discounted rate AND no interest loan for 24 months.

The real SPECIAL customers are the carriers who buy HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS OF PHONES and other customers who pay the full price UP FRONT.
    Special or not this is the first iPhone launch I've had issues with getting on launch day or even a week after launch and I've had every iPhone since the beginning.  They didn't do the upgrade program members right plain and simple.  I shouldn't be able to get the minute the preorders go live and see out of stock on every single model and color in the 7 plus's. They should have at least allowed us to get in line with everyone else and set up an Apple Store Appointment on a later date to upgrade or be notified when your phone of choice is available 
    No dude. You don't expect the same privedge as people throwing down $1000 cash up front.

You are bumming your way to a 24 month interest free loan with discounting AppleCare. You don't deserve to have the same dibs to the new phones as cash buyers. Sorry.

Next time you should throw down $1000 upfront and not worry about being reliant on the financing of some bank. 

The truth is the upgrade program is for poor people who can't afford to throw down $1000 upfront. 
    Lmao this is the funniest shit I've ever heard!  I could say the people who throw down 1000 bucks for a phone is because they are irresponsible adults with no credit!!  I could buy whatever phone I wanted cash money bc I'm not poor like some people, but why would anyone who could get a phone for 500 pay 1000?  8 out of 10 times its because they have to, because if they don't they won't get a phone at all because they don't have any credit.  Do I see how Apple would rather someone buy 
    edited September 2016 shikotsumyaku
  • Reply 59 of 82
    sog35 said:
    sog35 said:

No dude. You don't expect the same privedge as people throwing down $1000 cash up front.

You are bumming your way to a 24 month interest free loan with discounting AppleCare. You don't deserve to have the same dibs to the new phones as cash buyers. Sorry.

Next time you should throw down $1000 upfront and not worry about being reliant on the financing of some bank. 

The truth is the upgrade program is for poor people who can't afford to throw down $1000 upfront. 
    The upgrade program is for people with no credit that's all I have to say about that.  People with money don't go out and spend 1000 dollars on a phone when they can get it for 500.  You obviously aren't rich and wouldn't know how to stay rich if you were 
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 60 of 82
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    1. Apple ships you the new phone via email and charges your CC the full price of the iPhone                                                                                                                                

I know Apple is very innovative and imaginative, but, please explain how they can ship iPhones via email...? :D
    nolamacguy