Apple to meet with augmented reality contact lens firm EPGL, discuss possible iOS support

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    Epgl has a power application that harnesses the movements of the eye to produce current to power the contact lens, apatent has been filed and is nearing approval soon.
    Tony5455
  • Reply 22 of 38
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    No way I'd place that on my eyeballs. Not even if demanded by court order.
    This will be one of the greatest insults to the human body since thalidomide and the Dalkon Shield. If people are lining up to be first adopters, they should think twice.
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 23 of 38
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,817member
    This could be "The Apple of my eye" ...   :D
  • Reply 24 of 38
    cnocbui said:
    razormaid said:
    OMG. I just pee'd a little in my pants. How cool would this be?  No "helmet" on your head??

i wanna drive with them on. LOL 
    Wires/conductors can have currents induced in them from a distance.  Just ask Marconi and Nikola Tesla.  If you induce enough current in a small conductor it can get warm. A bit more power and it can do more than get a bit warm.  Ever seen small bits of foil in a microwave?

No way would I ever put an electrical conductor in close proximity to my eyeball.

I'd certainly not be one of the first to try such things.  That said something similar in a pair of glasses I'd be open to trying.  They will eventually get totally safe versions of contact lenses I'm sure.  I've already seen them in use in sci-fi shows so it has to come true ;)
  • Reply 25 of 38

Tony5455 said:
    Super exciting technology. Johnson and Johnson, Google, Apple and  EPGL are pioneering the future. The MEMS are suspended in a gel and does not obstruct the vision. SO COOL! GO EP Global!!
    I'll wait for version 2, they'll be thinner and longer battery life ;)
  • Reply 26 of 38
    This industry is at the forefront in the hottest tech space for IoT. EPGL has the only working prototype. They have patents pending on the Modern Silicone "Hydrogel" Contact Lenses and Incorporate Oxygen Permeability. EPGL not only has the power supply but a patented wireless lens and a patent pending wireless lens case that will transmit data from the lens to the iPhone.  This is not science fiction, it's here and the biggest players are in this space. these are exciting times and I'm looking forward to the possibilities.  http://www.multichannel.com/news/content/global-arvr-revenues-eclipse-162b-2020-idc/407054
  • Reply 27 of 38
    Tony5455 said:
    This industry is at the forefront in the hottest tech space for IoT. EPGL has the only working prototype. They have patents pending on the Modern Silicone "Hydrogel" Contact Lenses and Incorporate Oxygen Permeability. EPGL not only has the power supply but a patented wireless lens and a patent pending wireless lens case that will transmit data from the lens to the iPhone.  This is not science fiction, it's here and the biggest players are in this space. these are exciting times and I'm looking forward to the possibilities.  http://www.multichannel.com/news/content/global-arvr-revenues-eclipse-162b-2020-idc/407054
    I agree, if we can just last long enough on this planet without destroying ourselves to enjoy the fruits of advanced science it sure is exciting..
    Tony5455
  • Reply 28 of 38

kibitzer said:
    This will be one of the greatest insults to the human body since thalidomide and the Dalkon Shield. If people are lining up to be first adopters, they should think twice.
    There were probably people saying the same thing about early hearing aids too.  A bit short sighted of you ... pun intended.  :)
  • Reply 29 of 38
    cnocbui said:

Wires/conductors can have currents induced in them from a distance.  Just ask Marconi and Nikola Tesla.  If you induce enough current in a small conductor it can get warm. A bit more power and it can do more than get a bit warm.  Ever seen small bits of foil in a microwave?

No way would I ever put an electrical conductor in close proximity to my eyeball.

Micro electronics in hdrogel not going to fry your eye! Haha! The rain is just water by the way, it's safe to go outside; you'll only get wet! :) 
  • Reply 30 of 38
    NY1822 said:
    hmmmm...would I rather have IOS in my eyes or Android? I think seeing bloatware during the day might hinder my productivity so I'll stick with IOS.
    How about the "Intel Inside" splash screen, followed by "Your eyesight will be returned momentarily, but first...In order to access Google Ize we need to collect some information..."
  • Reply 31 of 38
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member

kibitzer said:
    There were probably people saying the same thing about early hearing aids too.  A bit short sighted of you ... pun intended.  
    There's a difference in the physical interface between hearing aids inserted into the ear canal and contact lenses that rest directly over the cornea. To extend your pun, better shortsighted than no-sighted! (BTW, I'm writing this while seated in an ophthalmologist's office with my wife, who is waiting to be seen for an unrelated corneal issue. Will pass along the doctor's reaction when I show her this article!)
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 32 of 38

This is all very cool technology, that probably will exist in a surprisingly short time. But, when we start placing displays into our bodies, I want to make sure the company doing so is making money by selling the hardware, and not the one making money by advertising and mining our privacy. 

Tony5455
  • Reply 33 of 38
    Wonder why they want to chat with EPGL.... maybe because they are about to lock up the process to smart contact lenses..... BIG THINGS COMING for EPGL!!!
    Tony5455
  • Reply 34 of 38
    kibitzer said:

kibitzer said:
    There were probably people saying the same thing about early hearing aids too.  A bit short sighted of you ... pun intended.  
    There's a difference in the physical interface between hearing aids inserted into the ear canal and contact lenses that rest directly over the cornea. To extend your pun, better shortsighted than no-sighted! (BTW, I'm writing this while seated in an ophthalmologist's office with my wife, who is waiting to be seen for an unrelated corneal issue. Will pass along the doctor's reaction when I show her this article!)
    Again MEMS technology is in a contact lens is not going to create the kind of issues you fear should the unforeseen happen. Having spent many years in the manufacturing of micro chips it's more likely that the product would simply cease to work exposed in a liquid gel. Not to minimize your concerns Kibitzer, but it would truly be difficult to replicate on purpose the kind of damage you are imagining.  Best, Tony
  • Reply 35 of 38
    Wonder why they want to chat with EPGL.... maybe because they are about to lock up the process to smart contact lenses..... BIG THINGS COMING for EPGL!!!
    Nice David. Do you know anything about how far they are along with energy harvesting?
  • Reply 36 of 38
    EPGL Medical has created a micron-sized piezoelectric energy harvester that can fit within a contact lens and harvest energy from blinking and other eye movements.
  • Reply 37 of 38

EPGL patent allowance on 14/668,957  "System for Contact Lens Wireless Communication"now *NEW USPTO activity on "Elastic Circuit" 14/794,789
    JNJ Apple EPGL AT&T
  • Reply 38 of 38
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    EPGL Medical has created a micron-sized piezoelectric energy harvester that can fit within a contact lens and harvest energy from blinking and other eye movements.
    How many LEDs can it drive?