Roundup: The best cases you can buy for Apple's iPhone 7 and 7 Plus right now

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2016
With the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus hitting store shelves, new cases are hitting the market at a rapid rate. AppleInsider has rounded up a list of the best iPhone 7 cases that you can buy right now to keep your device in pristine condition.

Now that Apple has officially announced the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus, case manufacturers have been racing to launch compatible accessories. This guide highlights the best iPhone 7 and 7 Plus cases to hit the market as customers await initial shipments of the new devices.

Apple

Apple iPhone 7 cases

During the "See you on the 7th" event, Apple briefly flashed their official line of iPhone 7 cases to audience members. But now that the cases appear on Apple's site, it's easy to see that they incorporate the same look and feel as previous generations.

Like years past, Apple has released a leather case in an assortment of colors, including a Project(RED) version. Regardless of which color you choose, the leather case retails for $45 for the iPhone 7 and $49 for the iPhone 7 Plus on Apple's website.

Apple Smart Battery Case

If more power is needed, Apple's Smart Battery Case comes to the rescue without sacrificing protection. Apple claims that it will increase talk time up to 26 hours and give users up to 22 hours of LTE internet surfing time for greater productivity. The elastomer hinge makes for easy switching between cases or removing it entirely when you want to go without a case completely.

The Apple iPhone 7 Smart Battery Case sells for $99 and is available for purchase today on Apple's website. Currently, only the iPhone 7 is supported.

OtterBox

OtterBox iPhone 7 cases

Looking for a durable case that's designed to withstand drops, dust and scuffs? The OtterBox Defender Series consists of a multitude of cases for the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus that include fun designs without sacrificing protection. In fact, OtterBox performs more than 24 tests spanning over 238 hours before a case receives the Certified Drop+ Protection designation.

Defender Series cases for the iPhone 7 start at $49.95, while cases for the iPhone 7 Plus retail for $59.95 and up direct from OtterBox. Plus, AppleInsider readers can save an additional 10% on OtterBox cases with exclusive promo code INSIDER10.

Case-Mate

Case-Mate iPhone 7 cases

Known for stylish designs, Case-Mate's latest Naked Tough Iridescent case for the iPhone 7 features anti-scratch technology and a shock absorbing bumper without skimping on looks. It's also certified to meet or exceed MIL-STD-810GB drop test standards to further protect your new device.

The Case-Mate Naked Tough Iridescent case sells for $35 with free shipping on Case-Mate's site. AppleInsider readers can also save an additional 15% on Case-Mate's entire line of iPhone 7 cases with exclusive promo code APPLEINSIDER15, which is valid through Sept. 30.

X-Doria

XDoria iPhone 7 cases

Another rugged case available for the new iPhone 7 is the Defense Lux from X-Doria. Made from anodized machined aluminum and tested to survive 6.6-foot drops (on concrete exceeding Military-grade drop testing requirements), the Defense Lux is built tough.

The iPhone 7 Defense Lux case is currently selling for $34.99 at Amazon.com, which is $15 off MSRP.

XDoria iPhone 7 Stash case

Prefer to pair device protection with card and ID storage? The X-Doria Stash has a sliding rear panel that conceals up to two cards for added security.

The Stash Case for the iPhone 7 sells for $34.99 on X-Doria's website. Plus, shipping is free.

Speck

Speck iPhone 7 cases

Speck, a well-known case maker, has launched a variety of iPhone 7 and 7 Plus cases as well -- but the Presidio Inked collection stands out due to the unique designs combined with enhanced protection. Presidio Inked cases feature bezel screen and port protection in a dual-layer design with a scratch-resistant finish.

The Presidio Inked collection retails for $44.95 for the iPhone 7 and $49.95 for the iPhone 7 Plus on Speck's website.

Newertech

iPhone 7 KX case

Like other case manufacturers, Newertech has also revamped its case lineup to include the new iPhone 7. The refreshed version of the KX case still utilizes the company's "XOrbing Gel" to protect against impact and features a one-piece design with a hard outer shell.

The KX case comes in Black, Midnight, or Crimson. The iPhone 7 version retails for $50-$60 but is marked down to $29.99 at MacSales.com, while the 7 Plus case is reduced to $33.99.

Ballistic

iPhone 7 cases

Ballistic has also thrown its hat into the case market for the iPhone 7, with 12 choices of colors and designs.

The Ballistic Urbanite Select series comes in Faux Wood Grain or Black and sells for $30 on Ballistic's site.

Ballistic Jewel iPhone 7 cases

Users seeking a case design that lets the iPhone's colors come through can choose the Jewel, Jewel Ice, or Jewel Essence Series of cases, which offer six-sided drop protection technology in a sleek package. The Jewel Series cases are $19.99, while the Jewel Ice and Jewel Essence versions retail for $29.99.

Silk Innovation

Silk PureView iPhone 7 case

Want to showcase that new Jet Black finish? Instead of obscuring Apple's styling, the PureView Clear Case from Silk Innovation features shock absorbent edges without masking the sleek details that make iPhones attractive. The case also features elevated front and rear lifters to guard the screen and backplate from scratches -- all with an ultra-slim profile.

The PureView Clear Case sells for $13.97 on Amazon.com. The same price applies to both the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus versions.

iPhone 7 Base Grip Case

For a better grip on your iPhone 7, Silk Innovation also offers the Base Grip Slim Case. The textured case provides more traction for sometimes slippery fingers and it also includes a scratch-resistant screen protector film.

The Base Grip Case is available in Black Onyx, Gunmetal Gray, Blue Jade and Purple Orchid for both the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus. Prices start at $11.99 on Amazon.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    The PureView Clear Case and the Air Protect SheerForce Case are perfect for protecting the phone while completely revealing the stunning Jet Black color. 

watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 21
    dougddougd Posts: 292member
    Where's the Otterbox Defender ? I have one on my iPhone 6 Plus and it's great
  • Reply 3 of 21
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member
    The 7 needs a case with a built in audio jack, that would make it rather more attractive for a lot of ppl.
    baconstang
  • Reply 4 of 21
    Sad that they don't have more 7+ cases available. Sure they'll come.. But for those who have already pre-ordered.. Definitely looking to keep my phone on solid condition.
    geekdad
  • Reply 5 of 21
    So happy the Apple leather cases now have buttons! That was the only downside to the current generation.
  • Reply 7 of 21
    Beware! The Belkin "Air Protect SheerForce Case for iPhone 7" is not for the iPhone 7 in spite of the Belkin description. The color choices are for the iPhone 6 and the picture shows an audio jack. Customer service says that is all that is available now. So Belkin is pulling a fast one and who knows how many other cases in the article actually are for the iPhone 7 or 7 Plus. Probably too soon for the manufacturers and supply chains to catch up to the 7. I'll have to buy an iPhone 6 case and use it temporarily since my iPhone 7 will arrive next week.
  • Reply 8 of 21
    Andorra said:
    Beware! The Belkin "Air Protect SheerForce Case for iPhone 7" is not for the iPhone 7 in spite of the Belkin description. The color choices are for the iPhone 6 and the picture shows an audio jack. Customer service says that is all that is available now. So Belkin is pulling a fast one and who knows how many other cases in the article actually are for the iPhone 7 or 7 Plus. Probably too soon for the manufacturers and supply chains to catch up to the 7. I'll have to buy an iPhone 6 case and use it temporarily since my iPhone 7 will arrive next week.
    Just go on Amazon and search for iPhone 7 case; there are a ton available. 
  • Reply 9 of 21
    verthib said:
    Just go on Amazon and search for iPhone 7 case; there are a ton available. 
    The AI article points to iPhone 7 cases available now. I was looking for the Belkin "Air Protect SheerForce Case for iPhone 7".  Follow the link to the Belkin "Air Protect SheerForce Case for iPhone 7" which says it can be pre-ordered but according to customer service isn't available. So if you order one that happens to match the color you want from iPhone 6 colors listed you will get an iPhone 6 case. The Sheer Black and new Black colors aren't a choice. But if you order Space Gray you will get iPhone 6 Space Gray iPhone 6 case not an iPhone 7 case.
  • Reply 10 of 21
    I am waiting for a folio style wallet case where you can detach the phone (plus its thin case) from the folio via magnets. There were several for the 6 & 6S but the standalone phone case was always hideous. 

• Reply 11 of 21
    The Apple Silicon Red "Product" case lets me find my Black (or previously Space Grey) iPhone in my Black interior car. The Silicon fits totally slim and still protects the phone from damage. It holds up way better than that same Apple Red "product" in Leather as my front pants pocket eventually wears off the thin leather material. After one year's use the bright Red color still remains and is buttery soft & still protects my phone...I got another one for my Black iPhone 7
    dugbug
  • Reply 12 of 21
    I'm just going to use my iPhone 6 case, since it's practically the same size.  If that doesn't work, well, then I'll survive without one!
  • Reply 13 of 21
    I have a case for my 5s from shutterfly that has a rubber lining and a hard shell. On the shell is a print of one of my favorite photographs of my first three pets. The case is functional, protective, and unique. I hope they still have that option when I replace my phone.

update: Apparently they still make the case but I can't tell if it has the rubber lining. Here is a screenshot of the case with the same photo I used on my case but for the iPhone 6

update update: it looks like mycustomcase.com sells the same product but at a lower cost and they still have the silicone liner option.

edited September 2016
  • Reply 14 of 21
    alexis said:
    I'm just going to use my iPhone 6 case, since it's practically the same size.  If that doesn't work, well, then I'll survive without one!
    it will not fit around the newer camera as it's bigger that the hole in your 6 case...;-(
  • Reply 15 of 21
    I'm just going to do those dbrand skins this generation.  I got an apple silicon case as a plan b.   The silicons are also available for the 7 and have nice texture
  • Reply 16 of 21
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    clexman said:
    So happy the Apple leather cases now have buttons! That was the only downside to the current generation.
    I'll have to check this out. I have used Apple leather cases with both my 5 and 6. Never had an issue with the buttons.
  • Reply 17 of 21
    Sad that they don't have more 7+ cases available. Sure they'll come.. But for those who have already pre-ordered.. Definitely looking to keep my phone on solid condition.
    I ordered a Torro leather sleeve/pouch in tan. Very sleek, classy-looking, and has a clasp. Moreover, their 6s+ pouch will perfectly fit a 7+.
  • Reply 18 of 21
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    IMHO the best case is no case.  I've never used one, never had a scratch or a mark and so far, touch wood, never dropped an iPhone.  I just can't bare to cover a beautiful piece of engineering like an iPhone up. I use a waterproof bag when kayaking or boating that's about it.
  • Reply 19 of 21
    I still love my Tech21 case.
  • Reply 20 of 21
    Has anyone tried the cases from HEX?