Editorial: Apple's AirPods, iPhone 7, Series 2 Watch out... journalists

Comments

• Reply 61 of 139
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    macseeker said:
    Soli said:
    macseeker said:
    Just as we lost keyboard with iPhone, losing audio jack will be soon forgotten.
    When did the iPhone have it's own keyboard?  I'm lost here.

All I'm aware of since the first iPhone, the keyboard was part of the display.
    He probably meant something along the lines of, "Just as Apple choose to exclude a physical keyboard on their original iPhone, despite the naysayers claiming it will never succeed, losing audio jack will be soon forgotten."
    I still don't get it.  Apple never did have a physical keyboard for the original iPhone.  Apple never did intend to have it.  Maybe too many people were thinking of BlackBerry (their keyboard design was so awkward for people who have fat fingers).  But the Blackberry design also had a useless screen size.

For the person who gave me a 'thumbs down' please explain the reason why.

The audio jack is another story.
    1) Yes, Apple had a shitload of designs that included all sorts of physical controls, as we saw during the trial with Samsung.

2) What's not to get? Apple made a conscious design to launch their first iPhone WITHOUT a physical keyboard when the entire world was still on the physical keyboard mentality. Most people didn't see what I saw as the obvious way of the future, and some are still holding out on a dying past. That took courage for Apple break from the status quo. With the original iPhone, it came when the technology was finally ready—id est, multi-touch capacitance displays—but with the analog jack I'd say it'a couple years over due. Then again, maybe Apple was waiting until they could have a Force Touch Home Button which will allow no dust and water to permeate, which helped push removing this long, cylindrical point of entry into the device. Or maybe they wanted BT and Lightning headphones to have a large enough part of the market that only those rocking old kit will care. It certainly wasn't because internal space wasn't needed.
    edited September 2016 nelmatwatto_cobramagman1979calipscooter63matted
  • Reply 62 of 139
    HOORAY !!! And thank you more than you'll ever know.

I'm an old PC guy that switched to ALL Apple kit in 2008. For MANY years I worked in the tech and marketing sectors for major PC manufacturers, system integrators and for a few years, European operations for a major storage provider. Sorry to say, that was STILL too late.

I've noticed over thepast few years, that the tech media has gone out of their way to constanly criticise, rave, ran, bitc, moan, complain and typically speak ONLY negative about anything Apple does, That's just an insult to us - the user and MONEY-PAYING consumer. This constant media barage of seemingly mind-bending negative press is completly not acceptable. And now it's REAL obvious - A COMPLETE LIE. The tech press has taken on the sacred mission of destroying Apple. - THEY'VE LOST. And I'll do whatever I can to make sure the tech press pays dearly for continuing to intentionally be as*holes.
    anton zuykovwilliamlondonwatto_cobrafracnolamacguymagman1979calipscooter63brucemc
  • Reply 63 of 139
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    staticx57 said:
    paxman said:
    I am super happy about the removal of the audio jack. When I get my iPhone 7 no-one in my house can steal and lose my headphones! For maybe a year, hopefully longer I will be the only one who can use my Lightning headset. There are two Apple products I buy repeatedly, and always more than one at the time - charging cables and head phones. The headphones will no longer be an issue. I wish they had changed the main culprit - the Lightning charging cable. Shoulda been wireless.
    You've been able to do this since the iPhone 5 what's been stopping you?
    You mean getting lightning headphones? If so what's been stopping me is first and foremost ignorance, I guess. 
    williamlondoncali
  • Reply 64 of 139
    AppleInsider said:
    The September 7 Apple Event raised some troubling questions for many tech journalists and their prewritten narratives.

"Keep in mind these aren't real journalists... these are tech journalists..."
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0_G_KMuesk&t=100

edited September 2016
  • Reply 65 of 139
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    mubaili said:
    paxman said:
    I am super happy about the removal of the audio jack. When I get my iPhone 7 no-one in my house can steal and lose my headphones! For maybe a year, hopefully longer I will be the only one who can use my Lightning headset. There are two Apple products I buy repeatedly, and always more than one at the time - charging cables and head phones. The headphones will no longer be an issue. I wish they had changed the main culprit - the Lightning charging cable. Shoulda been wireless.
    For some reason I do like the Apple headphones and buy them from Apple. But for charging cables, boy, even a loyal Apple fan should do them a favor and buy from someone else that are much better quality and cost 1/10th. 
    Yeah, I like the standard Apple headphones, too. I have a few other bigger cans that are much better in terms of sound but also much more cumbersome. I'd be happy to buy 3rd party charging cables. The reason I never have is that I have very few spare minutes in my days and I live near three Apple stores. When I need anything for my Apple devices I go there. Stupid, perhaps, but true. Which charging cables cost a tenth and are better? I am all ears. 
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 66 of 139
    sockrolid said:
    Few people are willing to pay for "journalism" any more.
    But big corporations will always be willing to pay for advertising.
    Especially if their products don't have the mindshare that Apple's products enjoy.
    So the media, both new and old school, have adjusted their business models.
    Radically.

The line between "journalism" and "advertising" was erased more than a decade ago.
    Sad but inevitable.
    to sum up your post, it is all about $$$$ for the publications that put out this crap (not just about Apple btw). Clickbait is the message of the day, week, and year.
    Those of old enough to remember the Mini-computer wars between the likes of DEC, IBM, DG and the rest will see the same behaviour then and now.
    One hack gets a little (or not so little) freebie from Company A and writes an article about a percieved problem with the kit from Company B. This is picked up by the rest of the Industry and suddenly it becomes the truth.
    Company B has to spend a lot of $$$$ firefighting the issue but will inevitably see some customers buying gear from Company A because of the untruth.
    Then another competitor pitches in with another 'slight' and suddenly not a good word is to be seen about Company B in the press or online forums.
    This is all Advertising 202 - Structured Destruction of your competition.

Then you go to the next step which is to say 'My product can do stuff yours can't'. Take the MS Surface Ads where the presenter says 'I can't do that on my Mac'.
    Of course you can't do touchy stuff on a Mac but the general population out there will not know this. ergo, a win-win for MS.
    Advertising 203 - Getting a positive from a negative campaign.

So we have Apple doing nothing to counter these reports and ads so they carry on until even former fans are repeating the meme 'Apple is Doomed, Sell APPL now, don't buy and there is nothing new' and the rest.

This article just goes to show that Hacks today in the main have an agenda and nothing the people/compaines they are against can do will get them to change their mind.
    I hate to say it, I think Michael Dell was right to take Dell private (not to buy EMC though) because the general air of doom that surrounds apple at the moment is certainly depressing the stock price.
    so it all comes down to money.  As the song says 'money makes the world go round'. Never a truer word

watto_cobrabaconstangmagman1979ration al
  • Reply 67 of 139
    levilevi Posts: 344member
    boredumb said:
    "...its existing one billion installed base of iPhone users..."
    Didn't the "one billion" figure refer to all Apple devices and computers active?
    Anyone remember more accurately?

Oh, and, "...almost ten years later we have devolved into a society of buffoons..."
    Actually, I believe studies show we have always pretty much been a society of buffoons. ;) 
    One billion device install base, and one billion iPhones sold. Seems the two were conflated in the article. Always a good read though. 
  • Reply 68 of 139
    Thank you.
    cali
  • Reply 69 of 139
    Brilliant article. It's refreshing to see a media source so balanced and impartial, that doesn't suffer from the very things it complains of from others. One day, maybe, I'll write that again and mean it.
  • Reply 70 of 139
    macseeker said:
    Just as we lost keyboard with iPhone, losing audio jack will be soon forgotten.
    When did the iPhone have it's own keyboard?  I'm lost here.

All I'm aware of since the first iPhone, the keyboard was part of the display.

The original iPod Touch that I have uses the display keyboard.  It's based from the first iPhone.
    The first iPhone didn't have a physical keyboard - that's the point of the comment - many of the tech media were up in arms because this was a disaster and you could never type as effectively on a software keyboard, only physical keys the size of pin heads would do...
    watto_cobranolamacguycaliai46
  • Reply 71 of 139
    I wouldn't toss Global Foundries in with Samsung beyond a partner Fab for 14nm FinFET. They are strictly provider of the Fab processing markets that Apple sees as necessary to make their ICs and SoCs hum. Samsung Consumer wants to be both Global Foundries and Apple. That doesn't work, but they'll keep attempting to prove the industries wrong.
    cali
  • Reply 72 of 139
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Tony P said:
    Brilliant article. It's refreshing to see a media source so balanced and impartial, that doesn't suffer from the very things it complains of from others. One day, maybe, I'll write that again and mean it.

I was going to pull you up on that, then I reached the end of your post. :-)

Unfortunately, DED has a point, and his comment about 'LostGate' was not only spot on, it was hilarious. Why in the name of all that's holy is a small gadget now a failure because people might misplace it? I've lost car keys, stationary … my CAR … and not once have I said, 'Wow, if I'd known one day I couldn't remember where I put it I would never have bought it in the first place.' 

Still, to calm the fake worrywarts, Apple should put a 'find my headphones' function on all the iGadgets. Press an on-screen button, and the headphones start sounding at the iPhone standard ring tone. 
    baconstangration almatted
  • Reply 73 of 139
    Bravo!
    watto_cobracali
  • Reply 74 of 139
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Straight after the Apple event a ZDnet article appeared in my Facebook feed stating 10 reasons why the Note 7 is better then the iPhone 7...

...seems they forgot all about the recall of all Note 7's sold due to batteries exploding during charging.

In my fifteen years in the industry I have NEVER seen a recall of any cellphones.
    watto_cobrabaconstangcalipscooter63magman1979brucemcfastasleep
  • Reply 75 of 139
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Where are all the D.E.D haters? They usually arrive quickly with each article he posts.
    williamlondonwatto_cobranolamacguycalimagman1979
  • Reply 76 of 139
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    "For instance, why is the Cupertino company now struggling to meet pre-order demand for its new iPhone 7 models when everyone knew the next iPhones would be totally boring even before having seen them?"

I hardly believe that Apple is "struggling" to meet pre order demand.   They've been doing these launches too long even if the some colors (like the new black) or models like the 7plus take longer.  

The biggest change was the drop in the price of the iPad.    At last Apple began to realize that its over-priced.   They should have cut more but at least it's something.

The second biggest thing was that the apple watch (ver 2/watchOS 3) is finally out of beta and one can see that by the 4th version it should be a great product.

The iPhone 7Plus's new dual camera will be significant for many people.   Apple has done right what several Android manufactures have tried and failed to do in the past - use a second sensor to improve the photography.    I can't wait for the Samsung Galaxy S8 to come out with 3 sensors/lenses for 1x, 2x, and 3x optical zoom (lol).

I didn't think that the iPhone 7 really offered much in term of an upgrade.   Slightly better screen, slightly better camera, more storage finally.    Sales may initially be down because of the removal of the headphone jack, but will rebound once customers look around and see that other phones have already gone that way.
    Hopefully with the 3.5 mm jack gone battery case makers will finally include the female lightning port in their cases. Two ports for simultaneous charging and listening would be brilliant.  

Unfortunately nothing really improved with SIRI or MAPS in a dramatic way.  Still waiting for an Apple product that out does the Echo.

Most people probably don't read the tech journalists so DED doesn't have to get too upset - I would worry more about jokes on the Tonight show for the removal of the headphone jack.   Hopefully DED won't attach Jimmy Fallon because he has a bigger platform.
    baconstangcali
  • Reply 77 of 139
    WELL SAID!!!!
    watto_cobracali
  • Reply 78 of 139
    Again, Apple is not the first to remove the headphone jack. LePhone and Motorola are the first to the punch. But again based on the magic they show in the keynote event Apple is the first one to get it right. I think reason journalists don't like Apple or bestowed the gloom and doom on Apple is because Apple still dare to think different and spit on those said journalists' face. 
    ration almagman1979
  • Reply 79 of 139
    qwwera said:
    Great article. I've been seeing the same thing. And the main problem I see, is that the current crop of "tech journalists" are all cronies. They all come from the same places and know each other personally and care what they and  their friends in the community think and say rather than truly inform the consumer.

It's also about youngish writers with no real credentials to advise anyone on anything. It's become an echo-chamber where they think they can create a narrative instead of just report on the products. 
    It's a smug opinionated little clique, tjat loves the smell of their own farts, that even go on each other's podcasts just to kiss each other's asses instead of being a forum to inform consumers. 

On a bright note, it's always great to see that consumer ignore their narrative, and that time proves their conclusions ridiculously wrong every time.
    I feel the same way about the loud voice from the rockstar developer-blogger clique, characterized by one Marco Arment. they don't represent me as a consumer or as a developer, yet this group cross-promotes each other constantly. I suspect because they make their living from ads and sponsors so they amp it up...but in doing so they create an echo chamber.
    edited September 2016 williamlondoncalipscooter63
  • Reply 80 of 139

qwwera said:
    Walt Mossberg was a "real" noted and respected journalist before he himself invented tech journalism. He is funny, charming and intelligent...
    The new bunch, Nily Patel included, have no business or credentials to talk than anyone here. His whole bizzare drunk rant on the 3.5 jack, ..basically calling it a crime against humanity is how far down a trench tech journalism has gone down since Walt came on the scene.
    the sad thing is even Mossberg is a concern troll now. I think it must be part of getting old and irrelevant?
    williamlondoncaliwatto_cobra