Editorial: Apple's AirPods, iPhone 7, Series 2 Watch out... journalists

Comments

• Reply 81 of 139
    Speaking of journalists making unfair comparisons, do you know of any reasons the Samsung IconX headset is more expensive than the Apple headset?  Maybe the 4GB of storage, for your music, so you don't need to take your phone along on the jog.  Along with motion and heart rate sensors, for your telemetry from the run, downloadable to your phone, after you get back.  Plus, they're smaller and lighter, and come with pieces that keep them in place while exercising.  Maybe things like that...

And really, if you want to slam Samsung for copying Apple's color choices, you might want to research all the colours that Samsung phones came in, even before the first iPhone was an idea.  Pink, gold, shiny black, etc.  They're all there.  Apple didn't invent those colours, other than the modified names their marketing department came up with.

edited September 2016 singularity
  • Reply 82 of 139
    Considering that most Americans are not familiar with anything beyond their own existence I would say the tech naysayers have little to no impact on Apple or any other company's sales figures. The proof is in the pudding as the saying goes, put out a bad or inferior product and consumers will for the most part pass on it.
  • Reply 83 of 139
    fracfrac Posts: 480member
    I think I found the nadir of 'tech' reporting...
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2016/09/08/airpod-earphones-for-iphone-7-prompt-choking-fears/
    Mind you, the Torygraph has always had a hard on for anti Apple flummery.
    williamlondoncaliRSGinSFration alRayz2016
  • Reply 84 of 139
    One more correction: the headline should say "Apple Watch Series 2" instead of just "Series 2".
  • Reply 85 of 139
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    spice-boy said:
    Considering that most Americans are not familiar with anything beyond their own existence I would say the tech naysayers have little to no impact on Apple or any other company's sales figures. The proof is in the pudding as the saying goes, put out a bad or inferior product and consumers will for the most part pass on it.
    Too stupid of a comment to reply to ... Oh damn!
    baconstangcaliai46pscooter63
  • Reply 86 of 139
    The press used to report the news, now it creates the news. In a 24 hour news cycle nothing is sacred... just fill the space. So yes, you're right. Wrong narrative. Today most phones at a certain price point do the same things. But what phone do you want in your hand when you do it...That was Jobs' test. And if today the Iphone 7 is the new boring, I'll take boring. 
    Soliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 87 of 139

qwwera said:
    Walt Mossberg was a "real" noted and respected journalist before he himself invented tech journalism. He is funny, charming and intelligent...
    The new bunch, Nily Patel included, have no business or credentials to talk than anyone here. His whole bizzare drunk rant on the 3.5 jack, ..basically calling it a crime against humanity is how far down a trench tech journalism has gone down since Walt came on the scene.
    the sad thing is even Mossberg is a concern troll now. I think it must be part of getting old and irrelevant?
    Mossberg is usually voice of reason on the podcast. And he is has a right to his opinion. And if you listen to him on AltWalt Delete. He is not lock step with Nily. They politely disagree many times.
    baconstangration al
  • Reply 88 of 139
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Personally I am very excited by all the newly announced products, but I've been involved in 2 conversations with people who focused almost entirely on one fact: "no 3.5mm audio jack."  Personally I'm fine with that change, but I don't think Apple has sufficiently controlled the message that is affecting public perspective (for some people).
    This is a perfect example have how the media ignores the facts due to a pre-defined narrative.   To read the press, you would still think that you cannot use a traditional earphone with a 3.5mm jack on the new iPhone.   And it's not just the press: I was in forums on both Facebook and the NY Times site (I think) where people who had obviously not seen the presentation were spewing hatred at Apple for this.  I kept writing:  you CAN use your old earphones using the FREE adapter that comes IN THE BOX and there's also a set of earphones with the new plug IN THE BOX.  But of course few people actually read the other responses when they post, so "I can't use my current earphones" or "Apple is forcing us to buy new earphones" complaints continued and continued. 

But I agree with you and I think Apple should have a TV ad which, among other things, shows some people using traditional earphones, some using earphones with the new plug and some using wireless.   That should shut people up.    Although even on here, someone wrote that the little adapter was ugly and they'd never use such a thing.   

I also love the critics who wrote something to the extent that there was nothing presented that was mind blowing and therefore Apple's in trouble.   But they never present an example of other companies who have created even a single mind-blowing product.    The critics, especially in the the non-tech press like the WSJ or the NY Times also completely ignore the internal things that really make a big difference, like a new processor.   They have to see something like an umbrella expanding out of the phone to protect you in the rain or to have it do household chores.   They'll give one sentence to a vague notion that it takes better pictures, but they'll mainly concentrate on stating that it's not much different than the last one.   Do they criticize fashion, TVs, automobiles, etc. in this way?

Or the critics who complain about wanting a larger screen but then complain that the version with the larger screen (gasp!) requires a larger phone that doesn't fit in every pocket.   

There's also this absurd idea that if everyone doesn't want to update their phone every single year that there's something wrong.   I think that's completely ridiculous -- does that apply to any other product?   Frankly, I think it's a miracle that Apple gets consumers to update even every 2-3 years.   There's no other product that I do that for.   It should be no surprise that consumers in China and other places are opting for cheaper phones - it was a miracle they ever spent for an iPhone in the first place.   How many other American companies sell to the mass Chinese market?  

I think there are some valid criticisms:  you won't be able to have the phone wired to an older car auxiliary input and charge at the same time; using the same jack for the earphones and power could double the number of insertions;  the phone doesn't seem to have substantially better battery life and the wireless Air Buds (or whatever they're calling them) do seem easy to lose.   
    baconstang
  • Reply 89 of 139
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member

rezwits said:
    I would say it's mostly jealousy and frustration. Frustration to the point where when they use their Windows machine or Android phone they second guess themselves, "Should I have gotten or Should I be using a Mac/iPhone?" Not once in my life while using Windows have I EVER said man maybe I should just switch to Windows or Linux, and especially not Android. Frustration, which leads to Jealousy, which leads to Hate, which leads to the Dark Side, haha
    I would love for there to be a practical alternative to OS X and iOS, but there really isn't.   There is no way I'm ever going to use Android for anything and while there are a few things in Windows that I prefer over OS X (like the mini finder and copy file functions, just to name two), Windows has always been extremely frustrating to me when I have to use it in work environments.   

OPPO happens to be a great company and they make really terrific connected Blu-ray players.   I've only seen photos of their phone and it does look very nice, but I'm not using an Android phone.   But if I lived in China and had very limited income and the OPPO was half the price of the iPhone (as reputed)?  Sure I'd use it. 
    baconstang
  • Reply 90 of 139
    The other story the media isn't talking about is the ceramic Apple Watch. The material could potentially be used in the next iPhone. Harder than stainless steel, lighter and has total transparency to wireless signals eleminating the need for any external antenna lines. In addition, its no coincidence that the ceramic Apple Watch is priced at the $1300 price point. A nice test bed with low risk. I think that's the real story. 
    Soliwilliamlondoncaliai46ration alRayz2016watto_cobra
  • Reply 91 of 139
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    themacman said:
    The other story the media isn't talking about is the ceramic Apple Watch. The material could potentially be used in the next iPhone. Harder than stainless steel, lighter and has total transparency to wireless signals eleminating the need for any external antenna lines. In addition, its no coincidence that the ceramic Apple Watch is priced at the $1300 price point. A nice test bed with low risk. I think that's the real story. 
    I don't know how far their interest and research into ceramic goes back, but there is at least evidence back to 2010. Note that last year's Gold Watch also used ceramic material.

• Reply 92 of 139
    jfc1138 said:

Personally I am very excited by all the newly announced products, but I've been involved in 2 conversations with people who focused almost entirely on one fact: "no 3.5mm audio jack."  Personally I'm fine with that change, but I don't think Apple has sufficiently controlled the message that is affecting public perspective (for some people).
    Had you pointed out the headphone port is actually still there? Just now its called the Ligjtning Port?
    I can only speak for myself. I bought a new 6s Plus the day after the announcement, because of the missing 3.5mm headphone port. I have nothing against Apple, own iPhone, iPad and Macbook Pro. But I am not interested in entring dongle world. It's the same reason I never cared for the new macbook. Great machine, but getting rid of too many ports is not for me. 
    baconstang
  • Reply 93 of 139
    mubaili said:
    First, good job DED as always. Second I thought no one is going to preorder iPhone 7 based on all the negative opinion of the verge, NYT, WSJ etc and slept to my normal woke up hours at 6:30 EDT to order the jet black iPhone 7 plus and what a mistake. Apple users intelligently know what they want and how much they want it. The most intriguing surprises are A10 Fusion, W1, the duel lens and bokeh effect, the AirPods. If the AirPods is truly as magic as the Pencil is I am definitely going to get one and loose the wire, hopefully for ever. I am sure there will be tons of loops to secure the AirPods on sale from Amazon soon. Apple creates a great opportunity for a lot of companies to make lots of money. The journalists outght do reports on that to inform users and companies to make this transition. Instead they just whine like a 3 year old baby. I am delighted by the AirPods, the video showing the making of it, and the video showing the making of jet black iPhone 7. Anyway, looking forward to the coming review of iOS 10, iPhone 7 and 7 Plus, and the tear down, as well as the inevitable gates etc. Also expect more announcements from Cupertino regarding Mac and iPad before the holiday season. If they could throw 50GB of iCloud storage for free then there would be nothing to complain and would help them win a lot of customers.
    I'm seriously considering the airpods myself. For me it is going to come down to how they operate independently since Apple did indicate you can use just one. My hope is that I can use one while charging one. Then when the one in use runs low, pull the other one out of the case, put it in my ear and then have both in use. Once the new one is working, I would then remove the other one and stick it in the charger. I bet this works, but if it doesn't I will wait until it does. Three hours just isn't long enough when I get stuck on back to back calls for hours at work. I don't want to have to pull out a cabled set of earpods when my batteries get low. That just misses the point of wireless.
    5 hours initial charge + 3 hours after a 15 break in calls? do you actually have more than 8 hours of solid calls?
    ai46watto_cobra
  • Reply 94 of 139
    mubaili said:
    paxman said:
    I am super happy about the removal of the audio jack. When I get my iPhone 7 no-one in my house can steal and lose my headphones! For maybe a year, hopefully longer I will be the only one who can use my Lightning headset. There are two Apple products I buy repeatedly, and always more than one at the time - charging cables and head phones. The headphones will no longer be an issue. I wish they had changed the main culprit - the Lightning charging cable. Shoulda been wireless.
    For some reason I do like the Apple headphones and buy them from Apple. But for charging cables, boy, even a loyal Apple fan should do them a favor and buy from someone else that are much better quality and cost 1/10th. 
    I have not found quality cables at 1/10th. That'd be $2. even the Monoprice and Amazon cables I've bought sucked and fell apart. Anker has been good but is not super cheap. 
    edited September 2016 ai46ration al
  • Reply 95 of 139

macseeker said:
    Soli said:
    macseeker said:
    Just as we lost keyboard with iPhone, losing audio jack will be soon forgotten.
    When did the iPhone have it's own keyboard?  I'm lost here.

All I'm aware of since the first iPhone, the keyboard was part of the display.
    He probably meant something along the lines of, "Just as Apple choose to exclude a physical keyboard on their original iPhone, despite the naysayers claiming it will never succeed, losing audio jack will be soon forgotten."
    I still don't get it.  Apple never did have a physical keyboard for the original iPhone.  Apple never did intend to have it.  Maybe too many people were thinking of BlackBerry (their keyboard design was so awkward for people who have fat fingers).  But the Blackberry design also had a useless screen size.

For the person who gave me a 'thumbs down' please explain the reason why.

The audio jack is another story.
    you're still not getting it. Apple, by choosing a virtual keyboard and not a physical one, changed the design of smartphones so nobody uses a physical now, even new blackberries. at the time they were knocked for this by press and competitors. 

are you you honestly not getting this analogy?
    edited September 2016 williamlondoncaliwatto_cobrafastasleep
  • Reply 96 of 139
    sockrolid said:
    sog35 said:
    Samsung, Google, and Microsoft offers a ton of advertising money to the tech media. Apple does not.  Samsung is literally paying the tech media to spew total bull crap about Apple.
    Few people are willing to pay for "journalism" any more.
    But big corporations will always be willing to pay for advertising.
    Especially if their products don't have the mindshare that Apple's products enjoy.
    So the media, both new and old school, have adjusted their business models.
    Radically.

The line between "journalism" and "advertising" was erased more than a decade ago.
    Sad but inevitable.
    Ha! The cause of that is the internet.  The journalist is a dying breed -- soon they will be as plentiful as gas station attendants.

Sadly, next to die are social skills -- and I blame that on the iPhone.   Today's idea of being social is ignoring the people around you while you stare/text/talk loudly into your smart phone.

edited September 2016 baconstang
  • Reply 97 of 139
    Speaking of journalists making unfair comparisons, do you know of any reasons the Samsung IconX headset is more expensive than the Apple headset?  Maybe the 4GB of storage, for your music, so you don't need to take your phone along on the jog.  Along with motion and heart rate sensors, for your telemetry from the run, downloadable to your phone, after you get back.  Plus, they're smaller and lighter, and come with pieces that keep them in place while exercising.  Maybe things like that...

And really, if you want to slam Samsung for copying Apple's color choices, you might want to research all the colours that Samsung phones came in, even before the first iPhone was an idea.  Pink, gold, shiny black, etc.  They're all there.  Apple didn't invent those colours, other than the modified names their marketing department came up with.
    rubbish. Samsung didn't have its line of metallic finishes in the same colors as apple's until after apple's. as for their headphones -- I have zero desire to manage music on onboard storage in the headphones. have fun with that. 
    williamlondonSolicaliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 98 of 139
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    jfc1138 said:

Had you pointed out the headphone port is actually still there? Just now its called the Ligjtning Port?
    I bought a new 6s Plus the day after the announcement, because of the missing 3.5mm headphone port. […] But I am not interested in entring dongle world.
    How does the "missing" 3.5mm jack mean you have to use a dongle? What headphones do you have right now that are so wonderful that permanently adding a 3" extension to the cable is a deal breaker? And if dongles are such an issue for you, then why not wires in general; meaning, why not move to BT headphones like people who actually don't like cables—which include doubles and adapters—did years ago when BT headphones became viable?
    nolamacguycalipscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 99 of 139
    qwwera said:

qwwera said:
    Walt Mossberg was a "real" noted and respected journalist before he himself invented tech journalism. He is funny, charming and intelligent...
    The new bunch, Nily Patel included, have no business or credentials to talk than anyone here. His whole bizzare drunk rant on the 3.5 jack, ..basically calling it a crime against humanity is how far down a trench tech journalism has gone down since Walt came on the scene.
    the sad thing is even Mossberg is a concern troll now. I think it must be part of getting old and irrelevant?
    Mossberg is usually voice of reason on the podcast. And he is has a right to his opinion. And if you listen to him on AltWalt Delete. He is not lock step with Nily. They politely disagree many times.
    I haven't heard his podcast but his articles are awful these days. 
    caliai46tycho24ration al
  • Reply 100 of 139
    Soli said:
    themacman said:
    I don't know how far their interest and research into ceramic goes back, but there is at least evidence back to 2010. Note that last year's Gold Watch also used ceramic material.

the rumors leading to the iPhone 4 were about ceramics. had forgotten them until now.
    caliai46