Apple features 10-movie bundles for $10 in 10th iTunes Movies anniversary sale

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
Celebrating the 10-year anniversary of movie sales on the iTunes Movie store, Apple is offering up six 10-movie bundles from five studios for $10 each to U.S. shoppers.

The Warner Brothers bundle includes "The Judge," "Edge of Tomorrow," "Pacific Rim," "Magic Mike," "Congation," "The Town," "The Hangover," "Sex and the City: The Movie," "300," and "Superman Returns."

A bundle from Universal Studios contains "Ride Along," "Identity Thief," "Rush," "Snow White and the Huntsman," "The Adjustment Bureau," "Little Fockers," "It's Complicated," "Forgetting Sarah Marshall," "Knocked Up," and "Inside Man."

Paramount's collection includes "Whiskey Tango Foxtrot," "Selma," "The Wolf of Wall Street," "Flight," "No Strings Attached," "The Fighter," "Up In The Air," "Tropic Thunder," "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button," and "Zodiac."

Purchasers of Sony Pictures' collection get The Monuments Men," "Captain Phillips," "To Rome With Love," "Moneyball," "The Social Network," "Easy A," "Julie & Julia," "Nick & Norak's Infinite Playlist," "The Pursuit of Happyness," and "The Da Vinci Code."

The first Lionsgate bundle encompasses Divergent," "Now You See Me," "Warm Bodies," "The Perks of Being a Wallflower," "Margin Call," "Warrior," "The Switch," "Kick-Ass," "Twilight," and "No Country for Old Men."

Lionsgate bundle 2 has Ender's Game," "Mud," "The Impossible," "Arbitrage," "The Cabin In the Woods," "The Hunger Games," "The Expendables," "The Cove," "Gone Baby Gone," "The Queen."

All of the movies are HD-quality. Some of the titles include iTunes extras.

The iTunes Movie store opened on Sept. 12, 2006, with HD content hitting the store in March 2009. Regular prices for movies range from $8 for standard definition to $20 for a popular title in HD.

The sale is only for U.S. iTunes account holders, and ends at 11:59 p.m. PT.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    Those are some really weird bundles, especially the Warner Bros. one.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Those are some really weird bundles, especially the Warner Bros. one.

Yes, definitely a mixed bag. :-/
  • Reply 3 of 16
    Jeez. I gotta get out more! I've only heard of ONE of all those titles listed! :)
    pscooter63
  • Reply 4 of 16
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Pretty fucking good deal. Unfortunately, these don't apply in Canada.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    A better idea would have been a "create your own bundle" idea ... which was probably suggested, and roundly rejected, with maniacal laughter. tsk tsk
  • Reply 6 of 16
    slurpy said:
    Pretty fucking good deal. Unfortunately, these don't apply in Canada.
    I agree, it is a great deal but only apply in the U.S. that´s a shame.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    IMO, Paramount wins this one; every one of their films is worth seeing.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    Thank AppleInsider and iTunes, I never would have known this was available.

I bought them all.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 16
    I bought the Paramount and Sony bundles. They have the most films I wanted. The others have maybe only 2 or 3 I'm interested in.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 16
    Anyone else having trouble downloading these? I get an error every time saying 'This item is being modified'.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    I'm having the same error when trying to purchase, I've been trying for more than 30 minutes. It says the item is being modified, no matter what bundle I choose. I really wanted 2 of these.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    Really unhappy with Apple. Tried for over an hour to try to download two of the bundles getting the same error. Now just after midnight eastern time, and all the bundles have gone up to $35-50.  
  • Reply 13 of 16
    Yep, my clock must be way off. I have it just past 9:30 PT, but the prices much higher than $10 for the bundles. Well, that saves me making any impulse purchace tonight.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    I kept getting the 'This item is being modified' error when I tried purchasing, too. It was in the 10 o'clock hour initially, but I kept trying. I got on support chat with Apple and they denied anything having to do with it, but 5 studios don't miraculously decide to do the same thing at the same time. That was ridiculous!
    mostlyharmeless87
  • Reply 15 of 16
    How many other people bought this deal and then lost it? When I called they said this happened to a bunch of people, they sent out a generic email giving me a $10 credit to make up for the two movie pacages I bought but didn't go through. #thanksalotapple  
  • Reply 16 of 16
    My appeal to Apple... I was recently given a credit for an issue I had with iTunes but I'd like to have someone else review this situation maybe a supervisor (or anyone who cares?) As much as the 3 free movie rentals is a nice offer it doesn't begin to address the real issue which is the fact that it is nowhere near the same as owning 60 movies for $60.00!
    It is fair to say that I am not much of a fan of iTunes, in my opinion it has always been the weakest link in Apple's ecosystem, and honestly I haven't spent a lot of money on iTunes either as it's rarely my first choice in media consumption as there are many, many other choices that are simpler, more reliable (read less buggy), and cheaper. With that said I felt that this promotion would be worth exploring and actually give me some choices when it comes to entertainment. It might even convince me that iTunes isn't as bad as I remember it to be. Who knows maybe it had gotten better since the early days of syncing my iPhone which would take forever over the cable and would be both complicated and frustrating when it wouldn't work correctly, after all that was a long time ago and a different side of what iTunes has to offer. Maybe it was time for a second chance who knows maybe it would be a way to convert me, show me how simple things could be to have media at my fingertips and maybe even create a habit I could get use to.
    At the time I was online ordering, it showed the promo price of $9.99 for a 10 movie bundle with a total of 6 bundles so I filled my cart and went to checkout. What I got was an error message and it wouldn't let me complete my order and when I finally was able to get things to start working properly again the price had been hiked up drastically. Now I'd like to point out that every single trusted blog and news source (dozens and dozens of them) showed the expiration time as 11:59 pm pacific time - I do understand that Apple does not write these blogs and news stories directly and can't be held directly responsible for what they say but they must get their information from somewhere, and with that many credible publications reporting one would assume the source would be Apple itself. It was not after midnight in Cupertino when every other promotion would normally expire, nor was it even midnight here in Denver where I live and was making the purchase from. Which leaves me to believe that you either pulled the promo early, changed the expiration time from the precedent you set with previous promotions, and/or did not make it abundantly clear when the expiration time really was for this promotion, causing me and many, many others from finishing our purchases.
    Now I am still willing to fork over the $60.00 for the 60 movies if you can extend me that courtesy as a very, very loyal apple customer for the last decade. If not it probably won't stop me from buying Apple products as I do enjoy them and even recommend them to friends and family (although I do not recommend iTunes) and as you can see by the thousands, and thousands, (and thousands) of dollars I've already spent on multiple, multiple devices including but not limited to;
    2 Mac minis
    a MacBook Air
    an iPad Pro
    an iPad Air
    an iPad mini
    an iPad retina
    an iPod touch
    an iPod nano
    a new Apple TV 4th generation
    4 Apple TV 3rd generations
    an Apple TV 2nd generation
    a 1st generation Apple TV
    an Apple time capsule
    too many various iPods to even list here and lets not even go into all the peripherals and accessories directly from Apple itself and then with third party products that I bought through the Apple Store both online and in person of which you also got a percentage of (and the apps in the App Store and the in-app purchases, plus subscriptions of which you also got a cut) and I haven't even gotten to the number of iPhones I've owned including the 3GS, 4, 4s, 5, 5c, 5s, and the 6s plus 128gb that I'm writing this on right now (should I even mention what my family and friends use)
    But I digress in that it doesn't matter all the specific Apple products I use but that everywhere I look, and everywhere I reach, I am reminded of Apple and the amazing products that "just work". So the question isn't whether you need or even want my $60 because in all honesty you don't. You've got enough money to buy the entire Disney company with your cash reserves alone. But what you should be asking yourself is "What am I thinking now? Do I still see it all the same? Or every time I see an Apple product - which is all the time as I am surrounded by them and one is never out of reach given the fact that my Apple Watch is on my wrist (no not that Apple Watch it's actually a Mac OS Apple Watch from the 90's that has a retro design reminiscent of the Memphis Milano designs from the 80's) - am I reminded that they are just a greedy company that doesn't care about the little guy and refuses to honor their own agreements or at the very least make good on their mistakes? Does it just solidify my distaste of iTunes? And if you were really smart you'd ask yourself if this would be an opportunity to double down on an Apple enthusiast, someone who already believes in the Apple ecosystem with friends and family that he's introduced to Apple, and is this an opportunity to change his mind about iTunes, to show him that it's not a chink in the armor but actually the oil in the machine. The choice is yours apple as the ball is in your court. I can't even take my ball and go home because it's your ball.