Some US airlines prohibiting use of any Samsung phones in wake of Note 7 recall

Posted:
in General Discussion edited September 2016
Fallout from the Galaxy Note 7 recall is escalating, with some airlines disallowing any use of Samsung mobile devices in-flight, following reports of multiple incidences of property damage in the U.S.

Reports have circulated that the public relations problem for Samsung is extending past just the Galaxy Note 7. AppleInsider can confirm that some American Airlines and Delta flights are instructing all Samsung phone users to power down, and not use their devices in flight.

"Its hard to tell at a glance if a phone is a Note 7 or not," we were told when we asked about the in-flight safety briefing. "But we can tell if something's a Samsung from the aisle."

It is unclear if the in-flight ban on all Samsung is on certain planes, limited to certain flights, or just made by misguided flight crew. However, the prevalence of the accounts from not only AppleInsider sources, but on social media point to a larger problem, at least from a public relations standpoint.

"There are a lot of duties that flight attendants have on board," said Association of Flight Attendants spokesperson Taylor Garland. "There has to be more staffing if this is going to be the case that they have to check every single phone for every single passenger on the plane."

Still waiting on Samsung, and U.S. regulatory agencies

The U.S. Federal Aviation Association (FAA) has advised passengers not to charge or use the Galaxy Note 7. On Friday, the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) is urging all owners to turn off the devices and not use them in any way while they work out details about an official recall to prevent resale of the afflicted devices.

Since the FCC and CPSC statements about the matter, Samsung stock has declined 10.6 percent, with Monday's 7 percent drop its biggest one-day price decline in 28 years. It was relatively unaffected by Apple's "See You on Sept. 7" iPhone 7 release, climbing 1.1 percent after the event.

The problem, initially linked to the charging circuitry, has been pinned on an issue with the battery cell.

Based on our investigation, we have learned that there was an issue within the battery cell," Samsung noted. "An overheating of the battery cell occurred when the anode-to-cathode came into contact which is a very rare manufacturing process error."

Samsung has announced that boxes of the device not susceptible to the charging problem and battery detonation will be marked with a blue "S" in a white circle. An IMEI database will go live on Sept. 13 to flag un-repaired devices.

Carriers report that the situation is still confused regarding how the program will be handled. Samsung is directing customers to carriers for return or replacement of the afflicted device, but there is still no stock to be doled out for people who want a Galaxy Note 7.

"The gift could not have been more timely from Samsung to Apple," long-time Apple analyst Gene Munster said. "It will be a tail wind for iPhone sales. When you're debating about which phone to get, you want to hold off until the phone is safe."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 46
    People have been complaining that "If this was Apple it would be a shitstorm".  I'd say this is quite a shitstorm for Samsung.  
    ronnbaconstang
  • Reply 2 of 46
    Karma is a bitch.
    calijbdragonalexmacwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 3 of 46
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Just imagine of this were happening to Apple. Multiply the negative press by 10,000 and you might start to get a handle on it. If this were Apple the NYT would be going crazy. The National Guard would have been activated by now. But it’s just Samsung so no big deal. It will blow over in short order.
    jbdragonlostkiwinolamacguyalexmacTurboPGTwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 4 of 46
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    This is great!

Just ban all Samsung phones! That's a highly effective solution!

You can't expect the crew to go around and check for a specific model of a phone. They all look alike anyway, equally terrible. So, the obvious solution is simply to prohibit all Fandroids from using their Samsung phones on flights!

What will they ever do now? Go buy a damn book or something, because your lethal device has now been banned. :# 

calijbdragonjkichlinelostkiwipscooter63TurboPGTwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 5 of 46
    JanNLJanNL Posts: 327member
    Justice exists. Took long enough in relation to Samsung.
    edited September 2016 watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 46
    Hopefully there are no problems of any kind with the iP 7 round the corner.
    edited September 2016 baconstang
  • Reply 7 of 46
    talexy said:
    Hopefully there are no problems of any kind with the iP 7 round the corner.
    Well the press already had a field day with "bend gate" a couple of years back, so I guess, erm, the colour? The shiny black might scratch a bit?  I've heard that one.
    calironnjony0
  • Reply 8 of 46
    Holy smoke!
    cali1stpscooter63watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 9 of 46
    It couldnt have happened to a nicer bunch of guys as Samesung, explosive growth...
    calibaconstangwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 10 of 46
    In the case of American Airlines, if indeed they are telling passengers with any Samsung device to turn it off,  I wonder if they too follow it? :)

http://www.businessinsider.com/american-airlines-picks-samsung-not-apple-2013-3
    macseekerwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 11 of 46
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Attendants can't tell if a phone is a Samsung or not?

.....and fandroids say iKnockoffs look nothing like an iPhone.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 46

I just love this statement

"An overheating of the battery cell occurred when the anode-to-cathode came into contact which is a very rare manufacturing process error."

Yeah when the positive and negative terminal touch things tend to blow up. Next it was rare manufacturing process error, what other kind of manufacturing error are there.

I still believe it was charging issue, their fast charging most likely made the rare manufacturing error come to light. The biggest issues with Batteries it getting them too hot when charging. The faster the charging the great chance of things like this happening. Same thing when you discharge a battery too quickly.

jbdragoncaliwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 13 of 46
    Samsung has been getting away with and taking the piss out of the patent system from the moment Apple released the original iPhone, we who know the truth wondered... 'oh Father why have you forsaken us' but we are now ashamed of our lack of faith for we see that the Lord does indeed work in mysterious ways.
    baconstangcaliwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 14 of 46
    ronnronn Posts: 653member
    I'm not surprised. Apparently some of Samsung other phones have had battery problems. They were just sued by a construction worker that suffered severe burns due to an exploding Galaxy S7 in May. That's why some international airlines are banning the Note 7 from flights entirely and I'm sure other Samsung phones will follow. Why take chances?
    caliwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 15 of 46
    This is humungo damage to Samsung... They'll likely take a ten billion hit over the next 2-3 years over this fiasco; mostly in their brand being devalued and future sales of their phones (and possibly even other products) being impacted. Their relationship with carriers will also become a lot worse cause the carriers are going to have to do a lot of work to repair this and according to how they handle it, their own bottom line will be hit now and in the future.

They need to issue a recall, and give a cash bonus to everyone with a Note 7 Phone or this thing will become even worse.

Samsung has no retail, which makes this thing a lot harder
    jbdragonbaconstangcaliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 46
    People have been complaining that "If this was Apple it would be a shitstorm".  I'd say this is quite a shitstorm for Samsung.  
    People say that about Apple because it WOULD be worse if it was them. This is the company that makes more money than almost any company on earth yet gets more doom & gloom when they have the slightest decline in sales. People complain like babies about how their phones have just tiny incremental upgrades year to year, yet pretty much every smartphone on the market isn't worth the upgrade each year. I'm not by any means saying everything Apple does is right but they do get more heat just based on how successful they've been.
    baconstangcalinolamacguywatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 17 of 46
    I really believe there are way more than 35 incidents and for that matter you can already count on phones marked with the S will have problems too because it's too hard to part with the money so why not throw a few hundred thousand bad ones in. Samsung will just say it was just an accident "some accidentally got in the wrong boxes. " Quality control is often told to overlook, lie, and ignore issues because sales/management wants to just ship and this is the exact thing they are trying to prevent a devastating hit to reputation and sales.
    caliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 46
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 1,999member
    A mark or sticker on the box is not enough. You need to be able to tell from the actual device if it is a fixed model.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 46
    Can confirm, before I could even check into my flight the Delta employee checking passports asked me if I had a Samsung Note 7.  They also announced it on the flight.
    jbdragonjkichlinelostkiwicaliwatto_cobrajony0badmonk
  • Reply 20 of 46
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    lkrupp said:
    Just imagine of this were happening to Apple. Multiply the negative press by 10,000 and you might start to get a handle on it. If this were Apple the NYT would be going crazy. The National Guard would have been activated by now. But it’s just Samsung so no big deal. It will blow over in short order.
    Most Android users are from the Windows community.  So are the media people.  They passed their dislike or hatred of Apple to iPhone, iPad.  They used the same mentality of ignoring Windows copying Macs to Androids copying iPhones.  Since the users choose to use the inferior Android smartphones like the Windows users, they dare not complain or even criticize Windows or Androids.  Because this only exposes their own stupidity.  This is why you see any weakness of Apple is blown up 10,000 times. 
    lostkiwicalinolamacguyTurboPGTsuddenly newtonwatto_cobrajony0