China Apple dealer de-boxes matte black iPhone 7, reveals Jet Black packaging

Posted:
in iPhone
The first unveiling of the matte black iPhone 7 has reportedly taken place, and was published in conjunction with the Jet Black box for comparison on China social media on Monday

The pictures were gleaned from China social media, and purport to show the iPhone 7 matte black version, in conjunction with a Jet Black box.

Apple's website shows the packaging for the matte black version of the iPhone 7 as a white box. There have been no prior packaging leaks with a black box, but as the keynote speech spent an inordinate amount of time talking about how the finish of the Jet Black model was accomplished, distinctive packaging is a possibility.

Nothing new is revealed about the phone above and beyond what Apple has said about it, nor is the back panel of the box with specifications shown. Additionally, the de-boxed device is not shown in use.

Pre-orders in the U.S. of the iPhone 7 have been halted under overwhelming demand. Limited retail availability of most the devices revealed during the "See You on Sept. 7" event is expected on Sept. 16, with orders for future delivery re-launching on Sept. 17.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    Does it have the explode feature?
    jdgazwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 17
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Interesting that the inside of the box is not black also. Leaves me wondering how the bottom is black if it doesn't go up the sides of the bottom half of the box. That seems odd to me, and not very elegant, if it's just printed on the bottom panel leading to potentially unattractive presentation if not applied perfectly. 
  • Reply 3 of 17
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    cashxx said:
    Does it have the explode feature like the Samsung?
    You mean, copy Samsung???  That's not innovation...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 17
    mac_128 said:
    Interesting that the inside of the box is not black also. Leaves me wondering how the bottom is black if it doesn't go up the sides of the bottom half of the box. That seems odd to me, and not very elegant, if it's just printed on the bottom panel leading to potentially unattractive presentation if not applied perfectly. 
    How do we know the last photo isn't for the matte black phone? Looks like that one comes in a white box.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    levilevi Posts: 344member
    Ending up choosing the matte black based on availability (over jet black). The more I see it in pictures, the more convinced I am I made the right choice. Also worth noting, according to John Gruber (Daring Fireball) the matte black is even darker than the 5 (slate black). 
  • Reply 6 of 17
    mac_128 said:
    How do we know the last photo isn't for the matte version?
  • Reply 7 of 17
    haarhaar Posts: 563member
    Exploding sales!... preorders!  Apple is Doomed..  /sarcasm
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 17
    Looks fantastic.

The overarall geometric shape of the 6 and 7 are great. But what a difference color, the stripes, the metal ring and an off center camera make.

But this is sexy. 

I keep hearing people defensively say you don't mess with the body of a Porsche 911, but the iPhone 6 is not Apple's Porsche 911. it's Apple's 90's Ford Taurus. So the clean up of the basic geometry make a HUGE difference.

Like a 90's Ford Taurus without wood paneling, tacky trim and in a color other than pink, gold or gray goes a long long way. The black iPhone 7 looks sexy in a way the 6 doesn't.

edited September 2016
  • Reply 9 of 17
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    mac_128 said:
    Even if the inside or bottom of the box is white, I don't think it matters since the assumed reason for the box color differences is to not mix up the black phone models. For that reason, the top and sides are probably the most important for eyeballing the different, but I wouldn't be too surprised if at least the bed-bird the iPhone sits in is also black, if that doesn't cause an issue with then requiring white text on the bottom. Since every other piece of HW in the box is white, would the inside of the box be black? Seems unlikely to me, but I seem to remember that was how it was done with the old black 13" MacBook; but I could be mistaken.

mac_128 said:
    How do we know the last photo isn't for the matte black phone? Looks like that one comes in a white box.
    We have significant circumstantial evidence that the last photo is for the matte black phone, it's just too cropped on AI.

edited September 2016
  • Reply 10 of 17
    I always preferred the iPhone in black, I got the 4 by mistake (I could have returned it but it meant hours wait the following day). Last year I had to settle with the space gray 6s so on my next upgrade, maybe in 2 years I hope Apple still make a black phone. 
  • Reply 11 of 17
    cashxx said:
    No, it doesn't. Samsung patented that for their Note 7!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 17
    levi said:
    Ending up choosing the matte black based on availability (over jet black). The more I see it in pictures, the more convinced I am I made the right choice. Also worth noting, according to John Gruber (Daring Fireball) the matte black is even darker than the 5 (slate black). 
    I'm opposite. I cancelled the Matte and wait for the Jet Black. Gotta go with my heart. 
  • Reply 13 of 17
    "De-boxes"? I believe the word you were looking for is "unboxes".
  • Reply 14 of 17
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,631member
    An article about the box?  Are we that starved for info?
    zoetmb
  • Reply 15 of 17
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    cashxx said:
    Next year baby next year , wonder if the the jet black process can be use for a completely white version ? Any one say iPhone in new "snow white " ? 'Jet black' is nice but 'Just black' is best IMHO
  • Reply 17 of 17
    haarhaar Posts: 563member
    cashxx said:
    Does it have the explode feature like the Samsung?

you joke... 

Only the preorders are "exploding" ... so much so, that they had to shutdown the preorders, and clean up to " debris" from the  unrelenting  assault of preorders... it will take 'til the 17th remove all of the "rubble"...