Apple offers discounted annual Apple Music subscription through $99 gift card

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
Apple is now selling 12-month Apple Music gift cards for $99 in the U.S., allowing people willing to commit for that span to save a significant amount on their subscription.

The cards are available at Apple's retail stores, and from several online retailers including Best Buy, Walmart, and even PayPal's eBay store. Apple itself isn't selling 12-month subscriptions online, whether through the Web, iTunes, or iOS.

For an individual listener, Apple Music normally costs about $120 per year at a rate of $9.99 per month. Apple's main rival in on-demand streaming -- Spotify -- does sell cards for 12-month Premium subscriptions, but these are normally full-price ($120) unless a vendor happens to be offering a discount.

Apple can afford to be more aggressive with pricing, since its online services are mostly a way of keeping people attached to its hardware, where most of its profit is made. While both Spotify and Apple Music are multi-platform, the latter is deeply integrated into iOS devices.

The company may be hoping to intensify competition with Spotify, which still has twice the number of paid subscribers and an even larger number of ad-supported listeners. An Apple Music revamp is coming with this month's release of iOS 10, which should significantly improve the service's interface.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Europe?
    lostkiwi
  • Reply 2 of 18
    NY1822NY1822 Posts: 621member
    Last year I waited until around Black Friday and purchased two $100 ITunes gift cards for $80 each from Best Buy and used towards my Apple Music subscription. Nice idea this year to give as a gift.
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 3 of 18
    I purchased the 12month code through the PayPal eBay store. The $99 was added to my existing iTunes credit. Not sure how this is supposed to work but something appears to be broken.

To answer the basic question, yes the code is for the 12 month subscription and not some $99 iTunes credit code.
    edited September 2016 Beobe
  • Reply 4 of 18
    This is fine except I have a family plan. Would the discount code give me a break on at least part of my subscription?
    oldbluegmc50lolliver
  • Reply 5 of 18
    kozchris said:
    I purchased the 12month code through the PayPal eBay store. The $99 was added to my existing iTunes credit. Not sure how this is supposed to work but something appears to be broken.

To answer the basic question, yes the code is for the 12 month subscription and not some $99 iTunes credit code.
    something does seem weird. They need to do a better job of explaining what the card can be used for. So if you sign up for Apple Music and get the 3-month free trial, while this gift card be applied on top of that? What about a family plan? is it just applied as iTunes credit (since a regular iTunes gift card can be used for recurring payments of Apple Music)?
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 6 of 18
    Great value at $100/yr, although I have been getting this for awhile by buying 20% iTunes gift cards when they're on sale, so it's just a marketing reshuffle for me.
  • Reply 7 of 18
    on the Apple Website it states "ITunes and Apple Music Gift Cards can be used in ITunes Store, iBooks store, or App Store". So basically this is just a $100 Apple credit for $80, but a good idea for gift giving and marketing.
  • Reply 8 of 18
    Also available in Canada, PayPal, Best Buy, London Drugs and others. 
  • Reply 9 of 18
    with youtube and others free this is just obscene! shame on you apple
  • Reply 10 of 18
    johnbear said:
    No, shame on you johnboat. You expect artists to entertain you for free. Do you work for free? Didn't think so. You and freeloaders like you are the obscene ones.
    yoyo2222P-DogNCmwhiteoldbluegmc50brucemcbestkeptsecretlollivermrboba1
  • Reply 11 of 18
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    maccad said:
    johnbear said:
    No, shame on you johnboat. You expect artists to entertain you for free. Do you work for free? Didn't think so. You and freeloaders like you are the obscene ones.
    I think he was joking. At least I hope he was. :-/
  • Reply 12 of 18
    ireland said:
    Europe?
    It'll be 140 euros there to account for the tax judgment. Decisions have consequences. 
  • Reply 13 of 18
    On Paypal (www.paypal-gifts.com) you can buy the exact same thing für 99€ in Germany ... so I do not even know if that is "new" ...
  • Reply 14 of 18
    I can't seem to find this anywhere in NZ.  If anyone does find this, please let me know...
    lolliver
  • Reply 15 of 18
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    Hopefully this represents some further services development by Apple.  There is so much potential in the bundling of services:
    - Apple Music and iCloud storage - like 1TB for $15
    - Expanded Apple Care across all devices - I don't buy Apple Care for each device, but might by one that covered all devices at a discounted rate
  • Reply 16 of 18
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    Not a bad deal as it works out to $8.25 a month. If you use Apple Music all the time, it's a good deal. I'm waiting for a $4.99 price point. Limit hours or something. I don't tune into a whole lot of music making it not worth even $8.25. So I just will continue to use Amazon Music since it's free as part of being a Prime Member.
  • Reply 17 of 18
    How do I use this Code to extend my existing month to month subscription?
  • Reply 18 of 18
    Same issue: redeemed the card and iTunes just added $99 to my balance. My Apple Music subscription is still month-to-month and my account is still going to be charged $9.99/month. I've been buying the 20% off cards for years, so think I just got ripped off for $20. Also, I hate paying every month!