iPhone 7 preorders at T-Mobile 4X greater than iPhone 6 launch, matte black most popular color

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2016
This week's launch of the iPhone 7 is shaping up to be a blockbuster success for U.S. carrier T-Mobile, as the company's CEO revealed that sales have essentially quadrupled that of the iPhone 6 two years ago.

In a question-and-answer session on Periscope, T-Mobile Chief Executive John Legere declared demand for the iPhone 7 a "phenomenon," and said that preorders thus far have been "like four times bigger than the iPhone 6."
T-Mobile CEO John Legere revealed the matte black iPhone 7 has been the most popular color option among preorders through his company.
T-Mobile's subscriber base has grown in recent years as its aggressive "Uncarrier" branded strategies have helped it woo customers away from competing carriers. As such, it's unknown how much of the iPhone growth seen at T-Mobile is attributable to a larger customer base versus potential sales growth spurred by the new iPhone 7.

"The first four days of the iPhone 7 launch are by far the biggest ever for T-Mobile," Legere told fans on the live video stream.

The CEO also gave watchers an opportunity to guess which model has been the most popular for preorders. While most in the Periscope chat chose Apple's "jet black" color, Legere revealed that matte black has actually been the most popular option.

Legere, however, agreed with chat participants about which color he prefers.

"I actually ordered the jet black," he said. "I'm quite excited about it."

Beyond the glossy jet black and more subdued matte black, Apple is also offering the iPhone 7 in shades of silver, gold, and rose gold. Space gray, which has been a part of Apple's lineup since the iPhone 5s, was left out this year.

Preorders are now underway for the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus, both of which are set to find their way into the hands of consumers this Friday.

And while preorders are off to a record breaking start for T-Mobile, Apple has already warned that it won't disclose launch sales for the iPhone 7, breaking in tradition from years past, citing the fact that demand outstrips supply for the opening weekend. Last year, the iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus moved a record 13 million units in their first three days of availability.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 54
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Why the iPhone 6 series, not the 6S series? Do we know what the 6 series pre-order numbers turned out to be? If not, this all feels like how Bezos and other mention sales numbers, and I'm not a fan.
    brakken
  • Reply 2 of 54
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    I just watched this and WOW!! Congrats Apple!!

Soli said:
    Why the iPhone 6 series, not the 6S series? Do we know what the 6 series pre-order numbers turned out to be? If not, this all feels like how Bezos and other mention sales numbers, and I'm not a fan.
    Pretty obvious why. iPhone 6 was most likely their biggest launch ever before iPhone 7. Otherwise why mention any other iPhone?

iPhone 6 sold phenomenally. If 4x is across the board all carriers, this would be beyond any speculation.

Apple doesn't need to release numbers everyone else will shout them for Apple.
    mejsricbaconstangnetmagemacseeker[Deleted User]redgeminipaaldoliniTurboPGTjbdragonfastasleep
  • Reply 3 of 54
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Peak iPhone?
    cali[Deleted User]icoco3leviTurboPGTwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 4 of 54
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,032member
    cali said:

Soli said:
    Pretty obvious why. iPhone 6 was most likely their biggest launch ever before iPhone 7. Otherwise why mention any other iPhone?

iPhone 6 sold phenomenally. If 4x is across the board all carriers, this would be beyond any speculation.

No way it's 4x across all carriers but in sure it's doing well.  I switched to T-Mobile a few months ago and the iPhone 7 promo is great. I had always planned to buy the 7 for my daughter.  Quite unexpectedly getting the myself too. 
  • Reply 5 of 54
    williamh said:
    cali said:

Soli said:

No way it's 4x across all carriers but in sure it's doing well.  I switched to T-Mobile a few months ago and the iPhone 7 promo is great. I had always planned to buy the 7 for my daughter.  Quite unexpectedly getting the myself too. 

I see. I wonder if it's at least 2x across the board?

lkrupp said:
    Peak iPhone?

Yes iPhone 7 is the new peak iPhone. How will Apple beat its sales?!!!

DOOM!!
    clemynxmejsricbrakkenbaconstangicoco3TurboPGTwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 6 of 54
    Don't they have more customers than they did two years ago? Have the other US carriers said anything?
  • Reply 7 of 54
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Doomed! /s it's a good start. Too bad we really need to wait for the Dec quarter for any solid numbers. 

Analysts spin: Apple relies on T-Mobile as interest at other carriers wane. 
    caliiqatedowatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 54
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    This brings back nice memories when I often was surprised about which model was the most successful for the 4 and 5. I think a lot of people have heard that the jet black is a fingerprint magnet and scratches more easily so even if it might look better to them they prefer the black one. I am very careful with my phones so I would definitely pick the jet black one, I thought this appearance would appear next year.
    muadibecaliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 54
    clemynx said:
    This brings back nice memories when I often was surprised about which model was the most successful for the 4 and 5. I think a lot of people have heard that the jet black is a fingerprint magnet and scratches more easily so even if it might look better to them they prefer the black one. I am very careful with my phones so I would definitely pick the jet black one, I thought this appearance would appear next year.
    Can't you place a protective sticker over the whole iPhone like those Invisible Shields?
    netmage[Deleted User]watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 54
    Like you I take good care of my phone.   Ironically, this may be the first iPhone I use without a case.  Hearing the jet black was the opposite of slippery sealed it for me.
    cali[Deleted User]nolamacguywatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 54
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    cali said:

Soli said:

1) No, it's not obvious that the iPhone 6S series did worse than the iPhone 6 series in pre-orders.

2) No, not all carriers. This is just from T-Mobile, and only in the US.

3) I'd love for them to release numbers, but x * 4 = y isn't exactly useful, as noted with how MS, Amazon, and others with low sales tend to do.
  • Reply 12 of 54
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    cali said:
    williamh said:
    cali said:

Soli said:

I see. I wonder if it's at least 2x across the board?

lkrupp said:
    Peak iPhone?

Yes iPhone 7 is the new peak iPhone. How will Apple beat its sales?!!!

DOOM!!
    And iPhone 8 will be new peak...Apple still is doomed!!!
    caliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 54
    cali said:

Soli said:

Well that makes sense. People however will compare 6s to 6 and 7 to 6. Y-to-Y comparison be damned.
  • Reply 14 of 54
    levilevi Posts: 344member
    Soli said:
    Because the 6 was likely their largest launch. The 6s beat Apple's first weekend sales numbers, but remember 6s opened in China - 6 did not. For all other quarters 6s sold fewer phones. Also, saying sales are approximately 4x as much as a previous period is pretty specific - not at all like saying sales were phenomenal; beat expectations, etc. Any bump will likely show in quarterly numbers.
    calinolamacguywatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 54
    cali said:
    clemynx said:
    Can't you place a protective sticker over the whole iPhone like those Invisible Shields?
    I ordered a clear case and a clear bumper for my pre-ordered Jet Black model, allowing the beauty of the phone to shine through without having any fingerprint issues and scratches.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 54
    kevin kee said:
    cali said:

Soli said:

Well that makes sense. People however will compare 6s to 6 and 7 to 6. Y-to-Y comparison be damned.
    Not sure if you're being sarcastic but keep in mind this wasn't a financial report or company statement. I saw the whole video and it was the CEO just chatting and hanging out. There was no reason for him to be "technical" as he was chatting about his excitement of iPhone 7 sales on periscope. in the video the reason why he mentioned iPhone 6 is clear. He pretty much expressed iPhone 6 was the record to beat.

Soli said:
    cali said:

Soli said:

1) No, it's not obvious that the iPhone 6S series did worse than the iPhone 6 series in pre-orders.

2) No, not all carriers. This is just from T-Mobile, and only in the US.

3) I'd love for them to release numbers, but x * 4 = y isn't exactly useful, as noted with how MS, Amazon, and others with low sales tend to do.

1. It's obvious if you watch the video. These are T-Mobile numbers obviously.

2. I didn't say this was everyone's numbers. I saw the video and it was a T-Mobile CEO not some grand carrier God.

3. This wasn't a company financial report. Just a CEO chilling(he even had shades on indoors) chatting to us about record iPhone sales.
    I would love numbers and graphs too but this was a periscope chat.
  • Reply 17 of 54
    Maybe the reason the matte black initially outsold the jet black is because the wait time to receive one was shorter for the matte black iPhone and people didn't want to wait.
    edited September 2016 watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 54
    They also had a tremendous value for older trade-ins as well (which I'm sure helped), getting $400 off a 7 Plus when turning in a iPhone 5 is pretty nice.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 54
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    It's time for Legere to lose the long hair. Forehead has exceeded allowable limits for that style. 
    [Deleted User]toranaga
  • Reply 20 of 54
    Did some research and y'all should be pleased.

Samsung stocks saw the biggest drop in company history as concerns for #bombgate increased.

Polls by C Net and another company(sorry I forgot who) showed nearly half of potential Note 7 buyers are considering iPhone 7 instead.

Polls also showed Matte Black and Jet Black both make up over %90 of desired iPhone 7 colors.

Microsoft may be discontinuing Lumia Windows Phones in several stores and online according to customer reports and employees.
    pscooter63fastasleepwatto_cobra