Samsung Galaxy Note 7 recall seen as a 'gift' to Apple and its iPhone 7 Plus launch

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    I think there are a lot of Android owners who bought the Samsung to replace their previous crap Samsung phone. They have used it for a month and are disappointed and are using the recall to ditch it for a good phone.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 38
    'Could be'? Oh, grow some balls, Neil! Splash out a little!! Headline: Samsung meets Instant Karma Alpha ripoff artist Samsung has just announced a global recall of its latest attempt to recapture a percentage of its profits from 2014. An unusual battery-related fire is, to say the least, burning nightstands and linen drapery in dozens of households and hotel rooms. This latest disaster has major airlines strongly requesting passengers to power off during flight. Interestingly, the SS-devout demonstrate all the pathos of born-agains, showing concern and compassion for the world's least trustworthy mobile tech company. Perhaps they are looking for a path to heaven through the forgiveness of evil. In a different universe, i.e. this one, Apple has just released a stunning 64bit quad core with even further advanced graphics that makes the world's previous best smartphone - iPhone 6S - look slow. Anti-BatteryGate is likely to burn a hole through SS's profits and reputation big enough for even Xiaomi to head toward its very first profit. Apple may not even notice as its user base continues to grow, regardless. Realistically, this situation leaves Android's only profitable smartphone unavailable for the release of iOS's best, most advanced, and arguably, most beautiful, flagship in many years (iPhone 4). SS's profits have not only imploded, but are perhaps the first profits to commit a temporal paradox in annihilating profits both before and after they materialised/will materialise. Yet IDC, Verge, WSJ etc are still bemoaning the end of the unremarkable yet common-as-dirt 3.5mm audio jack. That galaxy must be a very sad place. Where we live, however, the tens of millions of people who are excited about the next stage in audio and connectivity evolution, brought to us by Apple with style and fun, are already bringing down reservation servers for the 7 and 7+. Let's hope that the next Galaxy, or Galaxy-killer, will provide a true alternative that is designed thoughtfully and thoroughly, and constitutes credible competition to the most astonishingly successful tech company in the history of the world, sans explosions.
    caliradarthekatpscooter63studiomusicwatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 38
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    cali said:
    Man I wish this was a DED piece (no offense).

I'm sure he's warming up to it! (no pun intended).
    I can smell the roast.
    mike egglestonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 38

... this doesn't directly benefit Apple anymore than other vendors since their newly learnt behaviour is to *avoid* Samsung, not to specifically embrace another brand.
    You're neglecting current iPhone 6 and below users who are due for an upgrade but are bored with the iPhone or disenchanted with how lackluster the iPhone 7 appears. Samsung is easily the "gateway" Android phone for an iPhone user. There *are* people who are on the fence/disaffected who might have switched over, but now will likely just stick with Apple rather than deal with the hassle and (fair or not) stigma associated with the Note specifically and Samsung in general.
    Likewise, there are Samsung owners who are bored with Samsung and are disenchanted with how lacklustre with S7, Edge and Note 7 are who will be buying an iPhone after this Samsung disaster tipped them over the edge. 
    calipscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 38
    I don't think at the moment there will be many switching from Samsung to Apple. A Customer goes into a shop wanting to walk out with a new phone. The customer asks for the new Samsung to be told it's not available just now. So the the customer asks about the new Apple. The answer will be the same, it's not available just now. 
  • Reply 26 of 38
    hittrj01 said:
    This "gift" is grossly overstated.

A product fault and recall harms the brand to the general population, the general population is less brand loyal. Thus switching behaviour from consumers will likely benefit other Android device makers first, then Apple second, due to platform stickiness.
    However as Android is dilute, their per-vendor gains will be small in comparison to Apple.

The largest movements will be in price driven sales (fear) and mid-range sales (brand trust) to the general population, not buyers of flagship devices who are very brand loyal. (I.e. Sales of iPhone SE would see a gain, not so much the iPhone 7 Plus.)

Finally: Since the Samsung Note is purchased by the most avid fans of Samsung devices - waiting for a replacement device is not going to sway them to another vendor, they're far too deep in cognitive dissonance to associate the battery issue with the brand.
    I think you're misunderstanding what the general population (i.e. not readers of tech blogs) thinks in their mind when they hear about this recall.  They hear Samsung Galaxy. The general population (again, think your parents, grandparents, average person shopping at the mall, etc.) doesn't associate the Galaxy S7 from the Galaxy Note 7, they just hear that Galaxy phones are blowing up and burning down cars and hotels, and that will make more of them stay away than would have previously.
    Even worse, I was heading back home from Athens International Airport and at passport control, before passing on through to our respective departure gates, there was a sign clearly stating that Samsung Galaxy Note 7 phones will not be permitted through. 
    Ouch!
    caliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 38

... this doesn't directly benefit Apple anymore than other vendors since their newly learnt behaviour is to *avoid* Samsung, not to specifically embrace another brand.
    You're neglecting current iPhone 6 and below users who are due for an upgrade but are bored with the iPhone or disenchanted with how lackluster the iPhone 7 appears. Samsung is easily the "gateway" Android phone for an iPhone user. There *are* people who are on the fence/disaffected who might have switched over, but now will likely just stick with Apple rather than deal with the hassle and (fair or not) stigma associated with the Note specifically and Samsung in general.
    As a current iPhone6 user I am offended by your statement. I am certainly NOT bored with my phone its works perfectly doesn't "explode" has  a fantastic camera, and many apps that are far superior to android ones. So take you biased effed up opinion somewhere else and put it where the sun don't shine!
    lordjohnwhorfinwatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 38
    This implies that people who buy shitscum phones are even potential Apple customers at all. The majority are not.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 38
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    I think this is just funny. Samesung launching their phone shortly before the iPhone to try and get sales that way and this time it's backfired on them. Couldn't happen to a nicer company.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 38
    I told you so!

People are always wringing their hands at how Samsung seems to be quicker than Apple in improving their products. Well, now we know why -- Samsung takes shortcuts on quality and now it's finally blowing up in their faces.

Apple is very careful in its engineering and holds the highest standard in quality. Samsung is about speed and quality takes a backseat. I've had some Samsung products and they seems to last just past their warranty period, whereas all of my Apple gear is fully functional for many, many years.

This latest episode is vindication for Apple's gradual approach to innovation.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 38

Bored with a phone because it just works...
    How exactly is the iPhone 7 lackluster? Twice the storage at the same price point, a significantly better camera on the 7 and a unique dual camera setup on the 7 Plus, water resistant (really water resistant, unlike the bogus Samsung water resistant claims), more RAM on the 7 Plus. While it is an incremental update, it is very significant, especially for people who use the camera a lot. I would not call it "lackluster".
    brakkenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 38

Bored with a phone because it just works...
    How exactly is the iPhone 7 lackluster? Twice the storage at the same price point, a significantly better camera on the 7 and a unique dual camera setup on the 7 Plus, water resistant (really water resistant, unlike the bogus Samsung water resistant claims), more RAM on the 7 Plus. While it is an incremental update, it is very significant, especially for people who use the camera a lot. I would not call it "lackluster".
    I wonder who all these 'users' are who appointed 7 as being 'lacklustre'. Jet-black certainly lacks no lustre! Haha. And I wouldn't refer to the tech skill in creating the Fusion as lacklustre either, as it figuratively (not literally;) puts the world on fire! Apple is really hitting their stride in custom silicon. All the other SoC businesses are dead.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 38

A product fault and recall harms the brand to the general population, the general population is less brand loyal. Thus switching behaviour from consumers will likely benefit other Android device makers first, then Apple second, due to platform stickiness.
    However as Android is dilute, their per-vendor gains will be small in comparison to Apple.

The largest movements will be in price driven sales (fear) and mid-range sales (brand trust) to the general population, not buyers of flagship devices who are very brand loyal. (I.e. Sales of iPhone SE would see a gain, not so much the iPhone 7 Plus.)

Finally: Since the Samsung Note is purchased by the most avid fans of Samsung devices - waiting for a replacement device is not going to sway them to another vendor, they're far too deep in cognitive dissonance to associate the battery issue with the brand.
    If I've said once I've said it a 100 times THOSE FOLKS NEED AN INTERVENTION, what does the damn thing have to do explode in you're ear ? I mean Apple fans aren't much better but if this was an iPhone exploding Tim would know the fury of Apple fans befor any other stakeholder, I guess that in it self speaks volumes about the two camps, I think JAY said it best " still ROC La familia says a lot about you if you're not feeling us"
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 38
    When you go shopping for a smart phone, I think the general pop. Typically buys what's on sale and what ever the carrier or Best Buy stooge is pitching.  Generally steered by the consumer based of what they tell the sales person.  Most people steer away from iPhones in my opinion because they want something closer to free. Relegating them to the world of android. 

With that being said, with the note 7 exploding into the scene in such a bad way. Most people will probably purchase lg or another competing android brand unless they are new to smartphones or frustrated with android. Then they will possible think iPhone. 

Since Samsung note 7 is iPhone 7 plus main competitor. I don't think this article is necisarily saying Samsung customers will buy iPhones, I think it's saying that iPhone 7 plus has won the battle this year interma of the better phone and that
    Samsung has lost  significant  ground against Apple due to the explosive nature of there device.  Significant marketing ground. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 38
    As a current iPhone6 user I am offended by your statement. I am certainly NOT bored with my phone its works perfectly doesn't "explode" has  a fantastic camera, and many apps that are far superior to android ones. So take you biased effed up opinion somewhere else and put it where the sun don't shine!
    My post did not say all iphone users, just some. The majority are pleased.
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 36 of 38
    hittrj01 said:

I think you're misunderstanding what the general population (i.e. not readers of tech blogs) thinks in their mind when they hear about this recall.  They hear Samsung Galaxy. The general population (again, think your parents, grandparents, average person shopping at the mall, etc.) doesn't associate the Galaxy S7 from the Galaxy Note 7, they just hear that Galaxy phones are blowing up and burning down cars and hotels, and that will make more of them stay away than would have previously.
    Agree completely hittrj01... I can see the "average mall person" remaining concerned about this long after all the devices are replaced.

Similarly, I also have a few friends who are not hardcore Apple fanboys/girls but who never really considered anything other than an iPhone because that was just their default. A few I spoke to were very underwhelmed by the new iPhone, due to what you'd expect: the headphone jack removal, the fancier camera only being on the Plus, and the lack of any other innovation. Now might have been the time they would switch to something like a Samsung, many reviewers were calling the Note 7 the best phone out there before the recall. Now I'm hearing things like "I'll just try to keep my 6/6S going and see how the 7S is" or "I'll just get the 7, what's the worst that could happen? I don't want to wait around until they sort this recall out."
    Having longer battery life, the performance benchmarks of my laptop, water resistant to the point you can swim with it, better camera all the way around and a new design means "nothing new"? You're just plain ignorant. Your precious Note 7 performance compares slightly better than my two-year old iPhone 6 Plus and doesn't even touch the performance of LAST YEARS iPhone 6s Plus.

I don't see what's so innovative about the Note 7, except that it catches fire...

By the way, a lot of people are keeping their iPhone 6 and 6s BECAUSE THEY ARE GREAT PHONES that still perform and run the latest operating system. My iPhone 6 Plus is rocking iOS 10. I don't have a reason to upgrade at this time but I sure want to.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 38
    I saw first hand 3 people order an iPhone 7 while giving their Galaxy 7 back.
    I think some people just want the latest thing out™ and when the opportunity came to get the latest thing out™ so shortly after getting the latest thing out™ rush from buying the Galaxy 7, they took it. Now they will have the latest thing out™ again.

I don't think many android users have that much invested in apps and such (or in 401ks).
    ;)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 38
    The exploding battery issue involves more than the Galaxy Note 7. 

http://phandroid.com/2016/09/13/samsung-galaxy-s7-exploding-uk/

Samsung is in serious trouble. Google is about to lose its most capable hardware manufacturer.