Some US airlines prohibiting use of any Samsung phones in wake of Note 7 recall

Comments

• Reply 21 of 46
    Ok but who manufactures batteries for Samsung?
    And is it possible those batteries are making it onto other smartphones? I just wonder if this is an problem exclusive to Samsung.
  • Reply 22 of 46
    Samsucks. 

Apple couldn't get the FTC or DOJ to ban Sammy phones, but Sammy found a way. Way to go!
    macseekercoolfactorcaliwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 23 of 46
    misamisa Posts: 827member

Reports have circulated that the public relations problem for Samsung is extending past just the Galaxy Note 7. AppleInsider can confirm that some American Airlines and Delta flights are instructing all Samsung phone users to power down, and not use their devices in flight.

"Its hard to tell at a glance if a phone is a Note 7 or not," we were told when we asked about the in-flight safety briefing. "But we can tell if something's a Samsung from the aisle."

This is one of the consequences of all smartphones chasing the "thin" rabbit, nobody can tell one years model from another once a protective case or battery-case is attached to it.

Samsung's best option here, as sad as it is, is to recall 100% of the phones, Issue new ones as "Samsung Galaxy Note 7.1" and any that aren't defective get sent to "refurbishment" to engrave "R" or something on the model number so that people don't get lemon models off auction sites and craigslist at some later point in time.

Samsung could also just afford to write the entire line off, but I somehow doubt that will pass. Sure it's fine and dandy when you force users to upgrade every 2.5 years, but to prematurely make the devices fail due to a bad part source is a very expensive lesson that you don't want to have to learn twice.

As for airlines, they're right, there is no way to tell which model is which short of programming the WiFi access point in the plane to alert the flight crew that a IMEI belonging to Samsung is active and to confiscate the devices.
    calinolamacguywatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 46
    Karma is a bitch Samdung 
    caliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 46
    jungmark said:
    Samsucks. 

Apple couldn't get the FTC or DOJ to ban Sammy phones, but Sammy found a way. Way to go!
    Perfect!
    caliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 46
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    I am a pilot at American Eagle (Envoy Air) as of this weekend the gate agents, and flight attendants are required to make the fallowing PA 

"DUE TO A RECALL OF THE SAMSUNG GALAXY NOTE 7, THE FEDERAL AVIATION ADMINISTRATION ADVISES THESE DEVICES SHOULD BE POWERED OFF, AND NOT CONNECTED TO ANY POWER SOURCE WHILE ON BOARD THE AIRCRAFT. IF YOUR BAG IS CHECKED AT THE GATE, PLEASE REMOVE YOUR GALAXY NOTE 7, AND PLACE IT IN YOUR CARRY-ON. WE APPRECIATE YOUR COOPERATION."

Every emplyee recived a notification regarding this.  The FAs I flew with don't even know what a Note 7 is and probably wouldn't do a thing if someone was using one in flight lol. 

I  however know what one looks like, and will tell the passenger to turn it off or get off the aircraft.  Fires on a plane are not good. 
    Don't you use fire to kill the snakes? :p
    philbert81lostkiwicaliwatto_cobrahungover
  • Reply 27 of 46

"Samsung For Enterprise (SAFE)"
    Ironic.

caliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 46
    Buy a Galaxy Note 7 and get an IED as a bonus. The Galaxy Note 7 has become the terrorists's phablet of choice.
    caliwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 29 of 46
    lkrupp said:
    Just imagine of this were happening to Apple. Multiply the negative press by 10,000 and you might start to get a handle on it. If this were Apple the NYT would be going crazy. The National Guard would have been activated by now. But it’s just Samsung so no big deal. It will blow over in short order.
    If that were Apple and even two iPhones had set fires, the news media would have a field day proclaiming it's definitely the end of Apple and how it wouldn't have happened if Steve Jobs were alive. The news media already hates Apple with a passion, so any dangerous problems found in the iPhone would be a total disaster for Apple and the stock. It's funny, people can get killed in Teslas and it's no big deal. If someone gets singed with an iPhone it's the end of the Apple world as we know it. Why do some companies get a free pass but Apple always ends up on the chopping block? Didn't someone already start a class action suit against Apple because they couldn't get their iPhone through the upgrade program right away? I'm willing to bet as soon as some shiny black iPhone gets some tiny scratches, the owner is going to have a fit saying how poorly the iPhone is built. I sure wish Apple would purchase a news media company so at least they could fight back against all the bad press they're constantly getting over EVERYTHING.
    philbert81calinolamacguywatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 30 of 46
    Is turning off a Note 7 the same as disarming it? /s
    caliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 46
    My brother got the Note 7 (despite me telling him not to get it, whatever his loss) and they have been giving him hell. He bought it through Best Buy and Samsung is telling him and their Best Buy reps one thing, then he gets an email from Best Buy telling him something else, then goes in store to hear something entirely different. This has been going on for over a week now. Samsung's distribution model with retailers and carriers screws over consumers. Like the Samsung rep on the phone told him that Samsung couldn't do anything because he bought it through Best Buy instead of AT&T. My reply was that my iPhone 6 Plus was bought at Best Buy but when I had an issue with the display, an hour at the Apple Store fixed everything, no misinformation or anything. Also remember when the iPhone 5 had a battery replacement program? That went so smoothly. Not like this mess. 
    caliwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 32 of 46
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    I am a pilot at American Eagle (Envoy Air) as of this weekend the gate agents, and flight attendants are required to make the fallowing PA 

"DUE TO A RECALL OF THE SAMSUNG GALAXY NOTE 7, THE FEDERAL AVIATION ADMINISTRATION ADVISES THESE DEVICES SHOULD BE POWERED OFF, AND NOT CONNECTED TO ANY POWER SOURCE WHILE ON BOARD THE AIRCRAFT. IF YOUR BAG IS CHECKED AT THE GATE, PLEASE REMOVE YOUR GALAXY NOTE 7, AND PLACE IT IN YOUR CARRY-ON. WE APPRECIATE YOUR COOPERATION."

Every emplyee recived a notification regarding this.  The FAs I flew with don't even know what a Note 7 is and probably wouldn't do a thing if someone was using one in flight lol. 

I  however know what one looks like, and will tell the passenger to turn it off or get off the aircraft.  Fires on a plane are not good. 
    If I were a pilot I would be a dic* about it.

I would get on the PA and say:

"WE RECCOMMEND YOU GET AN iPHONE INSTEAD TO AVOID FUTURE AIRLINE RESTRICTIONS.
    HAVE A NICE DAY :)"

Now I dare you to.
    philbert81watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 46
    Andy1984 said:
    My brother got the Note 7 (despite me telling him not to get it, whatever his loss) and they have been giving him hell. He bought it through Best Buy and Samsung is telling him and their Best Buy reps one thing, then he gets an email from Best Buy telling him something else, then goes in store to hear something entirely different. This has been going on for over a week now. Samsung's distribution model with retailers and carriers screws over consumers. Like the Samsung rep on the phone told him that Samsung couldn't do anything because he bought it through Best Buy instead of AT&T. My reply was that my iPhone 6 Plus was bought at Best Buy but when I had an issue with the display, an hour at the Apple Store fixed everything, no misinformation or anything. Also remember when the iPhone 5 had a battery replacement program? That went so smoothly. Not like this mess. 
    But the Note 7 has all the besthhh, usethhful featurethhs.
    Light yearsthh ahead of Apple.
    /sarcasm
    Andy1984caliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 46
    There is another solution. Due to Samsung states they are water proof, why don't put them in a transparent bag filled with water?
    caliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 46
    xmhillx said:
    And is it possible those batteries are making it onto other smartphones? I just wonder if this is an problem exclusive to Samsung.
    It is a good question, but I have no doubt this is due to Shamescum's horrible quality control and their desire to rush junk products to market on a time table that predates Apple launches.
    caliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 46
    alexmac said:
    There is another solution. Due to Samsung states they are water proof, why don't put them in a transparent bag filled with water?
    But that just makes hydrogen gas from the burning lithium and water mixture... and we all know what hydrogen did to the air transport business back in the Hindenburg days.
    Best to just get an aviation hammer and smash all Samsung phones to pieces and put them in the confiscated water bins.
    caliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 46
    1st1st Posts: 443member
    alexmac said:

"In what way and in what form does lithium react with water?

Lithium reacts intensely with water, forming lithium hydroxide and highly flammable hydrogen. The colourless solution is highly alkalic. The exothermal reactions lasts longer than the reaction of sodium and water, which is directly below lithium in the periodic chart.

2 Li(s) + 2 H2O -> 2 LiOH (aq) + H2(g)

hungover
  • Reply 38 of 46
    TurboPGT said:
    xmhillx said:
    It is a good question, but I have no doubt this is due to Shamescum's horrible quality control and their desire to rush junk products to market on a time table that predates Apple launches.
    I just read this online. It was a Samsung only supplier, and Samsung now plans to get batteries from Apple's supplier of batteries. Good.

For its next batch of Note 7s, the company is planning to switch from its main supplier of batteries, its sister company Samsung SDI, to China's ATL, which is Apple's main supplier for iPhone batteries, according to ZDNet.
  • Reply 39 of 46
    They should make use of the 2.5 million recalled Note 7s. Drop them over ISIS while charging.

Allah Akbar, it's raining Note 7s...
    edited September 2016 caliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 46
    Anybody have any good guesses what the floor will be for Samsung stock? I'm looking for a good buying opportunity since they're obviously not going to go out of business no matter how much we wish they would. Stock is the only thing Samsung I would ever consider buying even before this fiery fiasco.
    watto_cobra