Failed iOS 10 installs force users to plug into iTunes for restoration of 'bricked' device [u]

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2016
Upgraders are taking to social media to complain that some "over the air" iOS 10 updates are failing, necessitating a full restore for an afflicted device through iTunes [update: now fixed].

Update: Apple said Tuesday afternoon that it had fixed the problem and over-the-air updates should install normally.

The failure to properly update to iOS 10 appears to be related to an incomplete or corrupted download. Some early speculation existed that iOS 10.0.0 may be getting downloaded, with an immediate behind the scenes update to iOS 10.0.1 being the culprit, but that does not immediately appear to be the case, according to Apple support.

At this time, there does not appear to be any outright failures in the update process, leading to utterly dead devices. After being plugged into iTunes when greeted with the failure message, iOS devices are either finishing the update to iOS 10.0.1, or reverting back to 9.3.5, suggesting more than one possible problem leading to the forced restore through iTunes.

Users without a backup either locally in iTunes or in the cloud are losing iPad-stored data as a result of the iTunes restoration.

AppleInsider has spoken with Apple regarding the matter and was told that support personnel were already looking into the problem. We were told that the problem may be related to a timed-out download as a result of ISP issues in conjunction with Apple software distribution system loads.

As with any update, AppleInsider recommends backing up the device prior to starting the process. Additionally, updates on mission-critical hardware should generally be postponed until the process is known to be stable.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 90
    Good grief, this thing has gone through 8 betas... I've had it updated that many times.

If you don't back up your shit before a major upgrade, you are an idiot.
    edited September 2016 doozydozenzroger73lkruppequality72521jbdragonpscooter63welshdogstevehairmanchairmanwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 90
    It's true, mine just got bricked. Lol. it's not a big deal, but users should know to have a back-up and iTunes access.
    jbdragonwelshdogwatto_cobra[Deleted User]
  • Reply 3 of 90
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    My update has failed twice now... looks like the third time might be a charm?

First time I've ever had an issue like this.

Update: Third time was a charm. It updated.
    edited September 2016 magman1979cali
  • Reply 4 of 90
    Just bricked iPhone 6s+ and iPad Pro. Both were fully up to date software, and backed up on iCloud last night. They've never seen any iOS10 beta at all.

Totally virgin, perfect candidates. Both bricked. Wow.
    anantksundaram
  • Reply 5 of 90
    There are dozens of people getting bricked phones over wifi download, over at Reddit in the apple sub. Many report that the iPhone 6 upgrade works while the 6s gets bricked. I'll certainly wait until I get home tonight to go with an iTunes update!
    anantksundaramwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 90
    I got hit with this at the office. I have my work box set to not sync my iPhone, so I have to wait until this evening to get everything in order. My iPad upgraded without issue.
    anantksundaram
  • Reply 7 of 90
    Worked great for me on an iPhone 6 Plus! I'm loving iOS 10 so far... in my opinion, it's the best iOS release in quite some time.
    andrewj5790calilkruppjbdragonequality72521welshdogwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 90
    An Apple Store employee told me this morning that 4 of his colleagues at the store bricked their iPhones this morning attempting an OTA update.
  • Reply 9 of 90
    Why anyone would perform an iOS upgrade over the air is beyond me. You should ALWAYS perform a full backup of any device before upgrading the OS. The only way to do that on a mobile device is by connecting to a computer and backing up via iTunes. Then performing the OS upgrade while still connected is a no-brainer. Even Apple suggests this as the better process.
    magman1979pscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 90
    Installed ok on SE. Screen keyboard now makes different sounds when tapping. Sounds a bit naff. New App "Home" fails to identify my Apple TV 4. Both SE and ATV are on the same network.
  • Reply 11 of 90
    Worked great for me on an iPhone 6 Plus! I'm loving iOS 10 so far... in my opinion, it's the best iOS release in quite some time.
    Don't rub it in to those of us who are stuck in Recovery Mode.

I deserve this for trying it at work. :neutral: I'll lick my wounds and try again at home tonight.
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 12 of 90
    An OTA upgrade should work just as Apple advertises and allows it to regardless of whether or not it is a good practice.

Also, the term "bricked" generally implies a device that is rendered permanently unable to function. If the iPhone's functionality can be restored through iTunes, then it is not bricked.
    edited September 2016 ai46nolamacguycalijahajaequality72521watto_cobra[Deleted User]
  • Reply 13 of 90
    Both my iPhone 6S and my iPad Pro crashed; I plugged in both and updated them back to 9.3.5. On the 2nd attempt of iPad Pro, it successfully installed 10 without issue. Perhaps this is just a temporary issue -- trials of launch day, eh?
    caliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 90
    foggyhill said:
    Good grief, this thing has gone through 8 betas... I've had it updated that many times.

If you don't back up your shit before a major upgrade, you are an idiot.
    You're also an idiot if you immediately upgrade as soon as the update is available.  Always wait a week to see if anything is found.  Looking forward to giving it a go next week!  Looks really good
    ration alwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 90
    ScoM said:
    Why anyone would perform an iOS upgrade over the air is beyond me. You should ALWAYS perform a full backup of any device before upgrading the OS. The only way to do that on a mobile device is by connecting to a computer and backing up via iTunes. Then performing the OS upgrade while still connected is a no-brainer. Even Apple suggests this as the better process.
    One has nothing to do with the other. I did OTA, and I have a backup. So what?
    OTA has never failed me before, so why should I have expected it to do so now?

Congrats on your first post.

equality72521
  • Reply 16 of 90
    PS - I'm betting that no one has the blue bubble that Apple shows on new iPhone 7/7 Plus on its website. I was hoping that was a new Live Wallpaper, but upon updating to iOS 10, There are barely any new wallpapers, and no new live ones. Do you think this is exclusive to the 7 model year? Why, if so? 6S and 7 both have 3D Touch capability...
    cali
  • Reply 17 of 90
    Did the over the air update for my iPhone6. Took forever after it was downloaded to finish, well over an hour. Phone is working fine. Now a whole mess of apps are updating,
    cali
  • Reply 18 of 90
    I updated an iPhone 6S, 6S+, 5S, 5, two iPad Airs and two iPad Air2s; all of them updated without an issue. I guess I should consider myself lucky! :) These were all updated over WiFi.
  • Reply 19 of 90
    Fine on 5S. Progress bar progressed at least twice with a very long hang at the very end. I started to wonder whether it was going to finish but it did, went through one more time then finished!
    cali
  • Reply 20 of 90
    both my iPhone 6s plus's have bricked. they are both backed up to icloud so will not lose anything eventually when I get them upgraded. Cant download via iTunes as it keeps timing out and saying it will take over 3 hours to download 10.0.1 after about 20 mins the phone restarts and cancels the download. getting error "an unknown error occurred (-39)"