Apple releases iTunes 12.5.1 with all-new Apple Music design, iOS 10 support, Siri commands in Sier

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
Apple's iTunes media suite was given a big update on Tuesday, including the ability to play music using Siri when macOS Sierra launches later this month, and picture-in-picture support for videos.

iTunes 12.5.1 is now available to download from the Mac App Store as a free update. It includes support for iOS 10, which is set to be released later on Tuesday.

Other features in iTunes 12.5.1, according to Apple, are:

• Now with an all-new Apple Music design, which brings greater clarity and simplicity to every aspect of the experience.
  • Siri. Play music from your Library and Apple Music using your voice. Just ask Siri.
  • Picture-in-Picture. Watch videos as you multitask and use different apps. Your video floats above your desktop in any corner of the screen.

While any iTunes user will gain the new Apple Music interface, support for Siri and Picture-in-Picture requires macOS Sierra. That update will be publicly available for free in one week, on Sept. 20.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Hope they fixed all the bugs in the last version!!!   ITunes seems to get worst with each release.  Sad really, I suspect the ITunes team needs new management as, software shouldn't see so many regression from release to release.  
  • Reply 2 of 15
    iTunes looks great to me.  Android users rejoice, hell froze over, it is the best Android app ever.
    Apple Music & Beats 1 totally rock.

iTunes 12.5.1.21 is amazing.  You have to try it for your self.
    edited September 2016 watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 15
    Yeah, well this update of iTunes has locked me out with error about computer date and cookies!  Apple screwing it up yet again.

I've restarted so many times even my iMac is saying stop already.

How long will Apple take now. Can't buy anything or update any apps, iTunes Match botched.

Sick of this sh - stuff apple

More info opens Safari to generic apple page that has nothing to do with the error message.

edited September 2016
    BS.jpg 62.8K
  • Reply 4 of 15
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    wizard69 said:
    Hope they fixed all the bugs in the last version!!!   ITunes seems to get worst with each release.  Sad really, I suspect the ITunes team needs new management as, software shouldn't see so many regression from release to release.  
    Blathering nonsense. iTunes performs perfectly well as an all around app.
    fastasleepSpamSandwichwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 5 of 15
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

justme12 said:
    Yeah, well this update of iTunes has locked me out with error about computer date and cookies!  Apple screwing it up yet again.

I've restarted so many times even my iMac is saying stop already.

How long will Apple take now. Can't buy anything or update any apps, iTunes Match botched.

Sick of this sh - stuff apple

More info opens Safari to generic apple page that has nothing to do with the error message.

Try learning how to use and maintain a computing system. This is NOT happening for 99.999% of the majority. It’s YOUR system that is hosed. Fix it. Sick of reading smack from users who don’t know how to install software. After reading your posting history it’s clear you have a lot to learn about operating a complex system.

Update: Just installed it on my stable system. Guess what? No issues to report. No weird messages. It just works.
    edited September 2016 SpamSandwichkevin keewatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 6 of 15
    don't know about a lot, but it is happening to at least 2 friends of mine and to me too.. my fix was to deauthorize my iTunes account on that computer and to reauthorize it.. after quitting and turning on cookies in Safari.  I got it to start to grab the updates. Returned Safari to blocking cookies except for the sites I visit and it's working normally.  By any chance were you using the Safari Technology Preview too?
  • Reply 7 of 15
    In albums with Grid-view, when clicking on an album it opens "very large" so with a lot of songs in an Album or Boxset you keep on scrolling! Almost like a PDF Before clicking a Album would open a widescreen view below Album and scrolling was set within this field, quick n easy.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    @justme Logging out of your Apple account in iTunes and then logging in again should fix this issue.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    Update: Logging out of your Apple account in iTunes and then logging in again should fix the issue where you can't accept the ToS.
    drewys808
  • Reply 10 of 15
    I don't know if this is due to iOS 10 or the new iTunes update, but I've been able to sync my iPhone and iPad to a new computer. Long story short, I haven't had the computer they were synced to for over two years. But after updating to the new iTunes and new iOS, I can now sync my devices to a new computer where I could not before without iTunes whiping the devices clean. 
  • Reply 11 of 15
    This is finally a solid update for iTunes. Yes!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 15
    Cool update! Finally an iTunes that I am happy to use with.
    SpamSandwichwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 15
    Really happy with simplified interface but miss Love icon and don't like that mini Player now show Playlist cover instead of song playing. 
  • Reply 14 of 15
    This thing is so stinking glitchy I don't even want to use it. And FYI to the guy with the stupid profile picture: playing some music on your computer shouldn't require learning about "operating a complex system". Open the program, click play. Even that doesn't happen now. I click an album and it opens a completely different album that was showing on the opposite side of the screen. If they don't get this fixed in the next few days I'll be cancelling.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    silo87 said:
    This thing is so stinking glitchy I don't even want to use it. And FYI to the guy with the stupid profile picture: playing some music on your computer shouldn't require learning about "operating a complex system". Open the program, click play. Even that doesn't happen now. I click an album and it opens a completely different album that was showing on the opposite side of the screen. If they don't get this fixed in the next few days I'll be cancelling.
    Try force restarting your device.