2017 iPhone will have 'virtual button' built into edge-to-edge display - report

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    I think they will add a self-destruct-function like the Note 7 has.
  • Reply 22 of 27
    sog35 said:
    I think the 'home button' will be totally virtual next year.

Here's how it will work:

1. pick up the phone and screen will wake up automatically
    2. then you will see a circle at the bottom of the screen to put your finger print. Thats the virtual home button
    3. Force press and it unlocks the screen

But what if you don't want to pick up the phone?

1. Simply tap the power button and the screen will wake up with the virtual home button

What about using the home button when the phone is on?

1. On the home screen the virtual home button will appear on the bottom of the screen at all times
    2. Inside of an App simply swipe up for control center and the virtual home button will appear on the bottom.

Yes this means accessing the home button in App will take an additional swipe. But it should be a really easy movement. Swipe up and force touch. Should take less than 1/2 second to accomplish

I'm 100% excited about getting a 5.5 inch screen iPhone without bezels.  IMO, the only thing I don't like about my 6+ is its so massive and hard to fit in pockets.
    You forgot Touch ID, fingerprint sensor and Apple Pay. I wonder how Apple would implement them.
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 23 of 27
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    What is the point of getting rid of home button? Bottom line: you cannot have bezel less. You need a small one on top at least 50% of the current one to accommodate the phone speaker,  sensors and camera. Then, it's the same for the bottom one based on Apple design philosophy: Symmetry! The best you can see is: half size bezels but they will never disappear. So, move on!
  • Reply 24 of 27
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    sog35 said:

Here's how it will work:

1. pick up the phone and screen will wake up automatically - THIS WILL BE disastrous when you hold the phone in your hand OFTEN.
    2. then you will see a circle at the bottom of the screen to put your finger print. Thats the virtual home button

But what if you don't want to pick up the phone?

1. Simply tap the power button and the screen will wake up with the virtual home button - POWER button is on the side, not on top so how do you tap it since it's not touch sensitive, using 2 HANDS?

What about using the home button when the phone is on?

1. On the home screen the virtual home button will appear on the bottom of the screen at all times
    2. Inside of an App simply swipe up for control center and the virtual home button will appear on the bottom. - THIS DEFEATS the purpose of HOME button: 1 touch to take you HOME! Btw, Control Center swipe doesn't work well every time in APPS.

Yes this means accessing the home button in App will take an additional swipe. But it should be a really easy movement. Swipe up and force touch. Should take less than 1/2 second to accomplish

I'm 100% excited about getting a 5.5 inch screen iPhone without bezels.  IMO, the only thing I don't like about my 6+ is its so massive and hard to fit in pockets.
    See my question.
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 25 of 27
    I guess Apple's potential alliance with magicleap.com, a company that provides a 3D virtual interface, will have to wait until the iPhone 9 in 2018 .
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 26 of 27
    sog35 said:

Here's how it will work:

1. pick up the phone and screen will wake up automatically

Or home button will randomly jump over the screen in manner only authorized user will be able to predict. It will be third security level. :-o