Apple shares iPhone 7 ad with focus on dual-cameras, water resistance

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2016
Apple on Tuesday posted to its YouTube channel an iPhone 7 television advertisement focusing on the upcoming handset's advanced picture taking capabilities, water resistance, stereo speakers and more.

The 30-second spot is shot almost entirely in black-and-white, and what little color is seen -- a tinge of blue from the sapphire camera lens cover and shots of the phone itself -- is so subdued as to be mistaken as such. The result is a stark, high-contrast motif that fits in with Apple's latest sleeker-is-better design thrust (the company introduced two new black color options for 2016, one called Jet Black).

In fact, much of today's ad is draped in black. From the half-lit eyes of an owl to a dusky shot of a deer standing in a misty field to the silhouette of a boxer, Apple's iPhone 7 commercial is all about mood. It's also a good way to advertise the capture capabilities of iPhone 7 and 7 Plus, each of which boasts a 12-megapixel shooter with an f/1.8 aperture lens that lets in 50 percent more light than previous models.

Pairs are another overarching theme, a play on the dual-camera array introduced with iPhone 7 Plus. In addition to the stabilized wide-angle module, the 5.5-inch model includes a second telephoto lenser that lets users switch focal lengths on the fly.

Unlike past iPhone commercials, the first iPhone 7 version lacks a music bed. Instead, Apple's marketing team opted to punctuate onscreen visuals with a crescendo of crisp sound effects.

Preorders for Apple's iPhone 7 and 7 Plus kicked off last week ahead of shipments slated to arrive on Friday, Sept. 16. As promised, Jet Black models sold out quickly, with first-day stock of other popular colors following quickly behind.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 52
    I'm loving the masculine dark filmic look of Apple now. The white and rose and gold with flowy fish graphics meant to I assume appeal to china and fashionistas didn't do much for me
    edited September 2016 caliMacBAirTurboPGT
  • Reply 2 of 52
    Subdue, there is not even a full clear shot of the phone, but lots of suggestions. The new ad is all bout nuance.
    cali
  • Reply 3 of 52
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Awesome. All subliminal.

Glad their out of their advertising slump. iPhone 6 had annoying commercials. Don't remember 6s. They're back with touching the human psyche with the Maya Angelou commercial and this dark one representing jet black.
  • Reply 4 of 52
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    This ad fall flat for me. It feels like it's geared toward juvenile and/or insecure males. All about style and nothing that registers with the usability, experience, or how the device connect you with others. It felt like the typical superficial Samsung ad, albeit with the higher class of a car commercial.
    edited September 2016 spaceraysai46
  • Reply 5 of 52
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Soli said:
    This ad fall flat for me. It feels like it's geared toward juvenile and/or insecure males. All about style and nothing that registers with the usability, experience, or how the device connect you with others. It felt like the typical superficial Samsung ad, albeit with the higher class of a car commercial.
    That stuff can come later. Everybody knows what an iPhone is by now.

I think that this ad was decent, and it highlighted a few of the most important and new features to be found in the new iPhone, and it gets the message across. 

I think that it's merely intended to hype the launch, and advertise a few of the new features. Screw usability, experience or how you connect with others right now. That's been in plenty of previous ads, and I'm sure it will be in more in the future too.

caliTurboPGT
  • Reply 6 of 52
    It would look better on an OLED screen
  • Reply 7 of 52
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,324member
    Gotta love the lawyer-inserted text at 0:17 which displays for all of 1 second. Fine to pause and read when viewing on YouTube, but on a regular TV you'd never see it, which makes it all the more silly to even add it. Sue happy nuts would just say, "it wasn't displayed long enough on my TV set for me to read, so I am suing over water damage!"
  • Reply 8 of 52
    Okay here's a dumb question that has been on my mind (and certainly not just my mind) ever since the iPhone 7 announcement - what prevented Apple from implementing water resistance a year or even two ago? I'm dead serious about this question - was there any design element or anything specific that made it impossible for iPhone 6 or 6S? As elementary as this question is, I haven't seen or heard any rational explanation so far. Personally I could live without this feature, but I don't see why Apple is making such a big deal out of it now that Samsung or Sony have been using it for years (not to mention that the new iPhone still has only IP67 rating and not IP68). And I can't believe Apple was just too lazy to implement it.
  • Reply 9 of 52
    Crap ad.
    Two lenses, Stereo sound, waterproof?

Why b/w? Why so dull with quick edits?
    No atmosphere, texture or emotion.

Hopefully, this will contrast with a more lively one.

• Reply 10 of 52
    Worked on me. I want one now.
    cali
  • Reply 11 of 52
    pepe779 said:
    Okay here's a dumb question that has been on my mind (and certainly not just my mind) ever since the iPhone 7 announcement - what prevented Apple from implementing water resistance a year or even two ago? I'm dead serious about this question - was there any design element or anything specific that made it impossible for iPhone 6 or 6S? As elementary as this question is, I haven't seen or heard any rational explanation so far. Personally I could live without this feature, but I don't see why Apple is making such a big deal out of it now that Samsung or Sony have been using it for years (not to mention that the new iPhone still has only IP67 rating and not IP68). And I can't believe Apple was just too lazy to implement it.
    Because they were obviously focused on other things? Also, the 6s is fairly water resistant, though they don't broadcast it. Samsung's failed tests btw, so ...
    mike1TurboPGTnolamacguycali
  • Reply 12 of 52
    pepe779 said:
    Heard about (leaving of) the headphone jack?
  • Reply 13 of 52
    Tasty
    cali
  • Reply 14 of 52
    jannl said:
    pepe779 said:
    Heard about Sony and Samsung having waterproof phones WITH the headphone jack still present?
  • Reply 15 of 52
    pepe779 said:
    Because they were obviously focused on other things? Also, the 6s is fairly water resistant, though they don't broadcast it. Samsung's failed tests btw, so ...
    See, this is the problem. I'm looking for a rational explanation and this is what I get. Well guess what, other companies are focusing on many other things as well, yet they still deliver and aren't afraid to even set the trend. Apple has all the money and talent to develop and implement pretty much whatever they want, so saying they had different priorities is a pretty lame excuse. And if that's the case then they should have simply rolled out this feature silently instead of making it look like they just invented something nobody else has. Don't get me wrong, I'm still a strong Apple supporter and own more Apple products than any other brand combined, but if there's any indication Apple is becoming somewhat clueless about where to go next with the iPhone, it must be this year's iPhone 7 event. And this iPhone 7 ad just make matters that much worse imho.
  • Reply 16 of 52
    That advert reminded me that I haven't watched an episode of Hannibal recently.
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 17 of 52
    See, this is the problem. I'm looking for a rational explanation and this is what I get. Well guess what, other companies are focusing on many other things as well, yet they still deliver and aren't afraid to even set the trend. Apple has all the money and talent to develop and implement pretty much whatever they want, so saying they had different priorities is a pretty lame excuse. And if that's the case then they should have simply rolled out this feature silently instead of making it look like they just invented something nobody else has. Don't get me wrong, I'm still a strong Apple supporter and own more Apple products than any other brand combined, but if there's any indication Apple is becoming somewhat clueless about where to go next with the iPhone, it must be this year's iPhone 7 event. And this iPhone 7 ad just make matters that much worse imho.
    You might also ask why the first one wasn't. Much more important, why wasn't the first Apple Watch? I guess it's a refinement from year to year working in that direction.
    The downside of this will be that I probably won't ever self repair an iPhone again. I don't think it'll be water resistant after having opened up...
  • Reply 18 of 52
    pepe779 said:
    jannl said:
    pepe779 said:
    Heard about Sony and Samsung having waterproof phones WITH the headphone jack still present?
    Yes, but the Samsung phone's waterproofing failed in consumer tests. 
    TurboPGTnolamacguycali
  • Reply 19 of 52
    sirdir said:
    You might also ask why the first one wasn't. Much more important, why wasn't the first Apple Watch? I guess it's a refinement from year to year working in that direction.
    The downside of this will be that I probably won't ever self repair an iPhone again. I don't think it'll be water resistant after having opened up...
    But that's not the point. Sure, we may ask why Apple wasn't first to introduce waterproof technology, but that's for a separate discussion. What I'm saying is that Apple is now proudly advertising how they have just made a waterproof phone and in my opinion that's what's discrediting them. Maybe they assume their own users are not even aware of what the competition has to offer, but if this is their main selling point now, then Apple makes it look like there isn't much the new iPhone has to offer, which isn't true of course.
  • Reply 20 of 52
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    pepe779 said:
    sirdir said:
    But that's not the point. Sure, we may ask why Apple wasn't first to introduce waterproof technology, but that's for a separate discussion. What I'm saying is that Apple is now proudly advertising how they have just made a waterproof phone and in my opinion that's what's discrediting them. Maybe they assume their own users are not even aware of what the competition has to offer, but if this is their main selling point now, then Apple makes it look like there isn't much the new iPhone has to offer, which isn't true of course.
    You're trolling. It's obvious when you suggest that water resistance is Apple's main selling point. There were 10 points, counted down as such, in their intro event. And you can be sure more of those points will show up in subsequent advertisements. So it's disingenuous to suggest, after a single intro advertisement, that Apple is using water resistance as its main selling point.
    edited September 2016 nolamacguy