Apple polling MacBook Pro owners on use of headphone jack, other ports

Comments

• Reply 21 of 84
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Reply 22 of 84
    Soli said:
    safi said:
    We do not want to pull out a dongle every time to connect to a damn speaker system or our headphones.
    You use the headphone jack for "a damn speaker system"? :confused: 
    You've never heard of desktop computer speakers?
    marioafrodrifastasleep
  • Reply 23 of 84
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Reply 24 of 84
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Soli said:
    safi said:
    We do not want to pull out a dongle every time to connect to a damn speaker system or our headphones.
    You use the headphone jack for "a damn speaker system"? confused 
    You've never heard of desktop computer speakers?
    Of course. Have you head of USB?

Additionally, since desktop speakers are typically stationary peripherals, if being "forced" to use a future Mac notebook why complain today that there will be an inevitable removal of the 3.5mm jack, instead of getting better speakers, or at the very least plugging in an adapter so your old desktop speakers can work via USB or Lightning?

edited September 2016
  • Reply 25 of 84

safi said:
    Soli said:
    safi said:
    You use the headphone jack for "a damn speaker system"? confused 
    Hi, yes all the time in presentations. Audio port is more than for the headphones.
    Well then, Apple should never remove the 3.5mm jack¡ in fact, I'm sure that there are people like you that like to play their presentations from iPhones so I'm going to contact Cook so they can recall the iPhones, too. Based on the comments in this thread "it's not hard to add a port" to a device¡
    edited September 2016 ai46
  • Reply 26 of 84
    glynhglynh Posts: 133member
    gcv said:
    The sound quality is much better than the original CDs and Apple's lossless format.
    Huh? How is that even possible?
  • Reply 27 of 84
    glynh said:
    gcv said:
    The sound quality is much better than the original CDs and Apple's lossless format.
    It's not. He pulled the AIFF from the CDs and doesn't seem to understand the meaning of lossless in terms of compression. I'm guessing he also doesn't realize that the original source is limited and that Apple's AIFF using the Little-Endian byte-swapping order that is now called AIFF-C/sowt, but without utilizing the 'C' for compression. Bottom line: If you encode audio as AIFF or ALAC on a Mac they the exact same audio quality, but ALAC will be nearly 50% smaller.
    jibberjjasenj1ai46
  • Reply 28 of 84
    I can see the new MacBook Pro coming with a USB C to 3.5 audio jack adapter. Or maybe USB C to lightning adapter. 
  • Reply 29 of 84
    Hey Apple, it's a MacBook Pro (keyword "Pro") for a reason.

I'm one of the many pros who use the headphone jack EVERY DAY. I'm sure I can speak for other pros when I say that WE DON'T NEED A THINNER MACBOOK PRO. It's plenty thin enough. The screen already has issues with the keyboard leaving marks on it. Remember the awesome 17"? It NEVER had these issues with the screen. And YES I want to keep the physical keyboard. It's just about perfect as it is (maybe make it a bit thinner so it doesn't leave marks on the screen). SO, I'd say fix the screen issue but keep the headphone jack. Add your USB-X, Thunderbolt 27, AirJack or whatever... but keep the headphone jack. Oh, and keep the SD card slot or create an iSlot that takes different memory cards – this would be useful for PROS.

Let's review:
    1. Keep the headphone jack
    2. Make the screen non-markable (a thinner - or sunken deeper - keyboard might just work)
    3. The thickness is just fine (don't need an anorexic MacBook)
    4. iSlot that takes different memory cards

Actually, it would be super cool to create interchangeable modules that the PRO user could swap, given their needs. OR just offer more options as build-to-order MacBook Pros... Don't leave the PROS out of the picture, please.
    edited September 2016 baconstanglorin schultz
  • Reply 30 of 84
    While I don't have a problem on ditching it on the iPhone, PLEASE dont ditch it on the Mac yet. Just DON'T.

when you DJ and want to listen to some songs on your computer you want to listen to them on the headphones you're gonna use at the venue. They aren't wireless. And I don't want to ever use a Windows computer for that. Thanks.
    baconstangpscooter63ai46
  • Reply 31 of 84
    Wow. I'm a MacBook Pro owner who uses the headphone jack every day but wasn't asked to vote.

Thanks Apple. 'Preciate it.
    edited September 2016 matted
  • Reply 32 of 84
    bigmike said:
    Hey Apple, it's a MacBook Pro (keyword "Pro") for a reason.
    That reason is a 100yo 3.5mm audio jack? LOL You've got to have a better argument than that. How about, "the MBPs aren't space constrained like the iPhone"?
    jibberjAmaury125ai46
  • Reply 33 of 84
    glynh said:
    gcv said:
    If his converters are better in his laptop than an old CD player, then yes, it can sound better.
  • Reply 34 of 84
    glynh said:
    gcv said:
    If his converters are better in his laptop than an old CD player, then yes, it can sound better.
    How does this account for him saying that ALAC has worse audio quality than AIFF from that same computer?
    baconstang
  • Reply 35 of 84
    In my opinion optical drive removal is not same as headphone jack removal. DVDs have limited capacity and can be damaged and cause data loss. And optical drives take a lot of space in computers. I understand the reason to remove these drives.

On the other hand, headphone ports do not take a lot of space in devices. They are widey used in electronic devices and they have an industrial standard. Removing headphone jack reminds me the phones before iPhones. Every manufacturer was using a different type of port and it was very inconvenient for users.

I also find that digital output vs analog output discussion is misleading. Sound itself is analog, that's how human ear works. In the end all digital signals must be converted to analog signals to be able to reach human ear.

Wireless systems have battery and sound quality issues. Wireless phones do not last weeks but hours with one charge. Wireless headphones looses sound quality and sometimes looses connection with the device. Also wirelss headphones are pricier than headphones with 3.5 mm jack.

I will still buy and use Apple products, it is not a deal breaker for me but I think removing headphone jack is unnecessary and it is not moving forward move.

baconstangjasenj1pscooter63lorin schultz
  • Reply 36 of 84
    bigmike said:
    ....Actually, it would be super cool to create interchangeable modules that the PRO user could swap, given their needs.
    Hmmm back to the future and the great powerbook G3 pismo:

"The left expansion bay...could only take a battery , but the right bay was able to accommodate a...Combo Drive or SuperDrive, a Zip 100 drive, a Zip 250 drive, an LS-120 SuperDisk drive, a VST floppy disk drive, a second hard drive..., or a second battery"  [this isn't completely correct as the left bay could actually take any module except the larger CD/DVD drives]

With a battery in both the left and right hand bays I could get 9hrs of work, which was pretty good for 1999/2000.  In spite of history, I am not really convinced that this is the way to go for the next MBP models, as the tendency is clearly to externalize as many extras as possible via USB / Thunderbolt etc

On the headphone jack debate: I use mine daily and do not really want to carry around yet another adapter.  I would prefer to see the port retained.

My real issue is timing. My 2012 MacbookPro is showing signs of an early death and I want a new model soonest, with significantly more processing speed and RAM (to cope with GIS) than is available in the current models
    edited September 2016 baconstangai46
  • Reply 37 of 84
    I'm using headphones every day. On the road, or at home, I connect them to the headphones output. But perhaps more often to an audio interface. I'm only using big sort of pro headphones. So for me, attaching a small dongle of some kind to the big headphones is really no big deal. It'll just stay on the cable for the most part.
    SoliAmaury125
  • Reply 38 of 84
    kamilton said:
    Ah...  Remove it from all "non-pro" labeled devices.  People that do music/video work "Pro" customers probably want it for another 5 years or until the frequency range is optimized in other options.

jah beautiful 
    I'm making music and video, and for the most part I'm using a professional audio interface, connecting to that. It's only at home, or on the road that I'm not always using the interface. So then a little dongle won't take up much space in relative to the size of the headphones I'm using. No big deal for me personally if they choose to remove it from the body itself.
    Amaury125
  • Reply 39 of 84
    Soli said:
    glynh said:
    gcv said:
    How does this account for him saying that ALAC has worse audio quality than AIFF from that same computer?
    Yeah, that doesn't compute.
    Generally I could never tell the dif between AIFF and ALAC if everything else was the same.  Though I had a friend that thought he heard less bottom end with ALAC, though I never experienced that.
  • Reply 40 of 84
    Just don't leave out the SD card slot. Not every camera has USB3 yet.
    matted