T-Mobile users complain about iOS 10 carrier settings causing service blackouts [ux2]

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2016
A carrier settings update, associated with iOS 10, is causing some T-Mobile customers to lose their cellular connection in places where they should otherwise have a signal, according to complaints on Apple's support forums. [Updated with official T-Mobile response and promised Apple fix]

People encountering the issue are finding themselves completely offline until they reboot their phones or choose Reset Network Settings from the iOS Settings app. AppleInsider can confirm the existence of the glitch, which on Wednesday kept an editor's iPhone 6 offline in an area which normally has good reception. Rebooting the phone solved the situation.

Anecdotes suggest that the problem is related to how iPhones connect to T-Mobile's LTE network. It appears to be triggered by temporarily leaving LTE coverage, which can be troublesome if a person regularly passes through areas with poor or non-existent service, like elevators and parking garages.

The carrier update is suspected because the problem didn't manifest until this week, and is only affecting connections to one cellular network. Appropriately, people on T-Mobile's prepaid MetroPCS brand may also be impacted.

So far there's no indication of when the issue might be resolved, but T-Mobile will presumably push out another carrier update in the near future.

Update: T-Mobile CTO Neville Ray has taken to Twitter to elaborate on the issue, indicating that Apple is "working to fix an iOS 10 problem" within the next 48 hours. Until then, T-Mobile customers with an iPhone SE, 6, or 6 Plus are warned not to upgrade to iOS 10.

Update 2: Apple and T-Mobile have released a fix for the issue, meaning users are free to update to iOS 10 at their convenience.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member

FWIW T-Mo is saying it's Apple who is working on the fix, rather than it being a T-Mobile created issue.

"T-Mobile is warning iPhone customers not to update to iOS 10, the latest software version, after several customers have reported ‘connectivity issues’ caused by the update...says it is working with Apple on a fix for the problems and expecting a permanent fix in the next day or two."

https://twitter.com/TMobile/status/776466023193030657

FWIW rebooting is a temporary fix according to the thread.

edited September 2016
  • Reply 2 of 32
    As an apple public beta tester, I have been using ios 10 since it's launch and have had no problems with T-Mobile until I accepted a Carrier. My beta software has not been updated since the last update a 1 or 2 ago. Perhaps it is an Apple issue, but I really feel it is a T-mobile issue. My first encounter with he problem was yesterday while driving 3 hours to my destination. 
    mrboba1magman1979
  • Reply 3 of 32
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Reply 4 of 32
    safi said:
    Tmobilegate
    Trollgate
    magman1979perkedellkrupp
  • Reply 5 of 32
    I wouldn't have noticed because I never get T-Mobile service anyway.
    tdknox
  • Reply 6 of 32
    I'm on T-Mobile and have been on the iOS 10 beta since July without issue. If there's a problem (and I haven't experienced it), the problem appears to be related to the carrier settings and not iOS directly.
    magman1979
  • Reply 7 of 32
    Seems to be a carrier issue. Over on 9to5Mac folk are saying the same thing no issue until T-Mobile release an update. 
  • Reply 8 of 32
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    I see the blame game has started here already.
    magman1979
  • Reply 9 of 32
    zomp said:
    As an apple public beta tester, I have been using ios 10 since it's launch and have had no problems with T-Mobile until I accepted a Carrier. My beta software has not been updated since the last update a 1 or 2 ago. Perhaps it is an Apple issue, but I really feel it is a T-mobile issue. My first encounter with he problem was yesterday while driving 3 hours to my destination. 
    Lucky you.
  • Reply 10 of 32
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    gatorguy said:

FWIW T-Mo is saying it's Apple who is working on the fix, rather than it being a T-Mobile created issue.

Is this Apple creating more scarcity or the other common conspiracy where Apple purposely makes old iPhones worse after an update so you have to buy  a new one?¡ :smile: 
  • Reply 11 of 32
    It's always a good idea to wait a week or so with Apple iOS/MacOS/WatchOS upgrades. I can't say this often enough.

I've never understood the rush to download on Day Zero....
  • Reply 12 of 32
    Just to highlight (and mentioned in the article update) this only appears to impact the SE, 6, and 6 Plus. I have a 6s Plus, which explains why I haven't experienced the problem.
  • Reply 13 of 32
    Funny, I had this problem for about 6 months on an iPad Air 2 on T-Mobile (reboot always fixed it) and haven't since. 
  • Reply 14 of 32
    Well, I saw this a day late.  Have both iOS 10 and the carrier update installed.   So far no service issues but I've mostly been at home. 
  • Reply 15 of 32
    sog35 said:
    This is 100% a Tmobile problem

I upgraded to iOS10 on an iPhone 6+

I'm having ZERO problems. I did not select 'Yes' for a carrier update from Tmobile.
    If this is a TMobile problem why is Apple providing the fix?
  • Reply 16 of 32
    sog35 said:

I'm having ZERO problems. I did not select 'Yes' for a carrier update from Tmobile.
    In the sense this is a problem that affects T-Mobile and not any other carrier it's a T-Mobile problem. Do you not agree that that the case of the exploding Samsung phones that it's a Samsung problem even if the cause is from a 3rd-party battery supplier? If not, check out Samsung's stock to see how this "not their problem" is affecting Samsung's business.
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 17 of 32
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,033member
    I updated my 6 to iOS10 2 days ago, got the carrier update, and the problems started. It's a nuisance but I'm not in panic mode or anything. Whoever's fault it is, they're working on it.  Still happy to have T-Mobile.
  • Reply 18 of 32
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    Soli said:
    sog35 said:

In the sense this is a problem that affects T-Mobile and not any other carrier it's a T-Mobile problem. Do you not agree that that the case of the exploding Samsung phones that it's a Samsung problem even if they cause is from a 3rd-party battery supplier? If not, check out Samsung's stock to see how this "not their problem" is affecting Samsung's business.
    BTW, in the case of Sammy it was their own batteries from their own subsidiary causing the problem if what I've read is accurate. 
    perkedel
  • Reply 19 of 32
    Soli said:
    sog35 said:

In the sense this is a problem that affects T-Mobile and not any other carrier it's a T-Mobile problem. Do you not agree that that the case of the exploding Samsung phones that it's a Samsung problem even if they cause is from a 3rd-party battery supplier? If not, check out Samsung's stock to see how this "not their problem" is affecting Samsung's business.
    I'm assuming Sog meant T-Mobile screwed up not Apple (as he said no to the carrier update). Which is why I asked the question I did. If the problems was caused by a carrier update is that something Apple would be providing the fix for?
  • Reply 20 of 32
    gatorguy said:
    Soli said:
    BTW, in the case of Sammy it was their own batteries from their own subsidiary causing the problem if what I've read is accurate. 
    Sure, I read that and other reports, as well, which is why I used the "even if" clause.

The point I was trying to make to Mr. Entitled is that being responsible for the fault doesn't mean it doesn't affect others. I was trying to pop his isolation bubble that doesn't allow him to see the interconnectedness of the world.
    edited September 2016