Apple releases second GM of macOS Sierra days before official launch

Posted:
in macOS
In an unusual move, Apple on Thursday released a second gold master of macOS Sierra to developers, even though the final release of the OS is just five days away.

The new GM build is 16A323, versus the first's 16A320 designation. The latter was released eight days ago alongside GMs for iOS 10, watchOS 3, and tvOS 10, all three of which are now officially available.

Typically software creators release just a single GM, as it's meant to represent finished code. In some cases, though, Apple and other companies may spot bugs at the last minute that are critical enough to correct as soon as possible.

Sierra will be a free upgrade for Mac owners, and introduce Siri and Apple Pay to the platform for the first time. The OS will contain a number of other features as well, such as an enhanced Photos app, a Universal Clipboard, and deeper iCloud Drive integration into the file system.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 37
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    There seems to be some wonkiness with the 2nd GM. The included redeem code doesn't seem to work, but their developers forum indicates that if you go into Purchases and re-download, it will be the most recent beta, even though the date shows last week.
    Siliken
  • Reply 2 of 37
    Soli said:
    There seems to be some wonkiness with the 2nd GM. The included redeem code doesn't seem to work, but their developers forum indicates that if you go into Purchases and re-download, it will be the most recent beta, even though the date shows last week.
    I think the date displayed is the date it was "purchased" (or redeemed in this case). The code should only work once; anything after that is a version update. These don't show as updates because they're technically the same version, albeit with a new build number.
  • Reply 3 of 37
    B-Mc-C said:
    Soli said:
    I think the date displayed is the date it was "purchased" (or redeemed in this case). The code should only work once; anything after that is a version update. These don't show as updates because they're technically the same version, albeit with a new build number.
    Yes, you're right about the date referring to when you downloaded it, but that's a moot point. It's not showing up in the Mac App Store under downloads and when you go the developer site it gives a redeem code that doesn't work, presumably because you used it for the previous GM. The solution seems to be to go to the Purchase page and download what would appear to the old GM to get the latest GM build.
  • Reply 4 of 37
    it's not the second GM, it's actually the third one. The very first was release just after the Apple Event on September 7th (build 16A319); the second one was released on September 13th (build 16A322) when Apple publicly released iOS 10. And now the third one (16A323).
    Soli
  • Reply 5 of 37
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    How do you get it?

I tried but code by clicking the link and it didn't populate and second time I tried code it said code used. Hot corners is broken for me.
  • Reply 6 of 37
    ireland said:
    How do you get it?

I tried but code by clicking the link and it didn't populate and second time I tried code it said code used. Hot corners is broken for me.
    Have a look at the post by Soli; you should have to click on the download button in the Purchased items list; the re-downloaded version is the always the latest one...
    Soli
  • Reply 7 of 37
    Redownloading from purchases on the Mac Store worked for me. Don't know what the difference is, but I can't stand not having the latest version.

I also go my 7+ Case today. Sadly the phone is expected till October. :-(

• Reply 8 of 37
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    The term 'Golden Master' seems to be being misused.
    dysamoria
  • Reply 9 of 37
    thebaz said:
    ireland said:
    How do you get it?

Have a look at the post by Soli; you should have to click on the download button in the Purchased items list; the re-downloaded version is the always the latest one...
    Sounds logical, if confusing, but then why does my download version show only a GM dated September 8th not September 15th? As an aside every time I update macOS my entire Photos Library is re uploaded even though there is no change.  On top of that Apple is still not using Symbolic links for sharing as with iTunes Match matching.  Share an album of images already on the cloud and you still have to upload the shared images again.  That's just silly.
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 10 of 37
    thebaz said:
    ireland said:
    How do you get it?

Sounds logical, if confusing, but then why does my download version show only a GM dated September 8th not September 15th?
    First time you installed the GM, I'd guess. The solution is logical—Apple didn't change the version on file from 10.12.0, and they currently have no option in place for build number or any extra variable to tell your Mac App Store app that there is a new update—which makes it a solvable problem for Apple. This might be rarified air since it only affect devs on a rare occasion, but I hope they work this out because the solution isn't obvious, it's annoying, and looks unrefined.
  • Reply 11 of 37
    Soli said:
    thebaz said:
    ireland said:
    How do you get it?

Sounds logical, if confusing, but then why does my download version show only a GM dated September 8th not September 15th?
    First time you installed the GM, I'd guess. The solution is logical—Apple didn't change the version on file from 10.12.0, and they currently have no option in place for build number or any extra variable to tell your Mac App Store app that there is a new update—which makes it a solvable problem for Apple. This might be rarified air since it only affect devs on a rare occasion, but I hope they work this out because the solution isn't obvious, it's annoying, and looks unrefined.
    I'm willing to try but IMHO they should have changed the date and maybe they will.  It could be it isn't available yet in SW Florida, without a date change I can't be sure.  On second thoughts I'll wait till tomorrow and see if there is a change in the date.  
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 12 of 37
    I'm willing to try but IMHO they should have changed the date and maybe they will.  It could be it isn't available yet in SW Florida, without a date change I can't be sure.
    1) As B-Mc-C noted, that date is your first download of the GM, not when it was released, as noted by being on your Purchased tab. Again, seems like an issue with what the Mac App Store can use for a version number, and since they're all 10.12.0, they all show up as the same.

2) When in down go to  » About this Mac to check the build number. It should be 16A323 with this new update.

PS: Let's keep in mind these are beta releases when talking about what a software developer should do. We all agreed to risks when decided to use our primary machines with beta releases.
  • Reply 13 of 37
    Don't listen to these clowns at Apple insider. 

If if you run the updated installer it bricks your previously upgraded Mac. Fucking clowns. 
    As usual, ignore these fannies, check out a proper Mac user website instead before upgrading. You will have far fewer issues than listening to a bunch of half assed IT cowboys on this forum. 
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 14 of 37
    irnchriz said:
    Don't listen to these clowns at Apple insider. 

If if you run the updated installer it bricks your previously upgraded Mac. Fucking clowns. 
    As usual, ignore these fannies, check out a proper Mac user website instead before upgrading. You will have far fewer issues than listening to a bunch of half assed IT cowboys on this forum. 
    1) I've updated 2 Macs to the latest build.

2) I found the answer to the problem everyone was having at the forums on developer.apple.com, so if that's not a proper website, then what is?
    lolliver
  • Reply 15 of 37
    2 macs both on the GM. Update to newest release. Disaster. Had to restore from backup. 
  • Reply 16 of 37
    Ok, if it isn't looking to upgrade, then don't force it. It will turn round and bit yer ass. 
  • Reply 17 of 37
    irnchriz said:
    2 macs both on the GM. Update to newest release. Disaster. Had to restore from backup. 
    You're a beta tester, a test monkey.

Issues can happen and sometimes will happen.

lolliver
  • Reply 18 of 37
    irnchriz said:
    You pointedly stated that "if you run the updated installer it bricks your previously upgraded Mac." You stated this as a fact for all users with no indication that it was merely a personal issue you experienced with the update. You then backed up your claim by calling me a fucking clown, saying to ignore my comment because I'm a "fannie" (whatever that means), and that Apple's developer's forum—which I referred to in my initial post—wasn't that a proper website. You don't see a problem with that? 

I'm sorry your'e having issues but this is developer beta on what are obviously production machines. Did you do a backup and verify the disk before upgrading? I always do, and about 50% of the time with betas I have to fix the file system. Not sure if that makes a difference, but I do it anyway, just to be safe.
  • Reply 19 of 37
    Backed up and restored fine

dontcha luv SSD storage
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 20 of 37
    apple ][ said:
    irnchriz said:
    You're a beta tester, a test monkey.

Issues can happen and sometimes will happen.

They do, and did.  Backup as always saved the day.
    edited September 2016