First iPhone 7 pre-order shipments arrive as lines form at Apple stores

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2016
As the first iPhone 7 and 7 Plus units land in the hands of pre-order customers living in Australia, New Zealand and parts of Asia, customers eager to score their own copy are queueing up outside Apple's retail stores.

Customers await iPhone 7 at Apple's Fifth Avenue store in New York City.

Apple fans in Australia, New Zealand, Japan and Shanghai -- the first time zones to see Sept. 16 -- are now taking receipt of iPhone 7 pre-orders placed last Friday. As usual, many new owners are busy performing the ritual unboxing ceremony, posting pictures of the process to social media accounts for perusal by jealous international looky-loos.

Jeff Tan via Instagram

As of this writing, Apple stores in Australia are opening their doors to customers who in some cases have been waiting for hours to purchase the latest iPhone iteration. Apple retail is separating walk-in customers from those with pre-order reservations, as per usual.

• Jeffrey Zheng via Instagram
  • Simon Salman via Instagram
  • karenaruan via Instagram

Apple is launching iPhone 7 and 7 Plus in 29 countries, including Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, China, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Luxembourg, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, UAE, the UK, US Virgin Islands and the U.S.

iPhone line at Apple's Union Square flagship in San Francisco.

Back in the U.S., customers began queuing up at Apple brick-and-mortar stores as early as Sunday. More recently, line-waiters descended on the Fifth Avenue store in New York, as captured by AppleInsider reader Ryan. Much like the past few years, iPhone faithful are camped out in beach chairs, sitting on the sidewalk behind a cordon set up by Apple employees. For now, this year's launch lacks sleeping bags.

In a rare statement regarding iPhone launch supply, Apple on Wednesday said initial stock of all iPhone 7 Plus and jet black models had been depleted, meaning walk-in customers can only select from certain 4.7-inch iPhone 7 versions. According to The Australian, first customers waiting in line to purchase an iPhone 7 Plus from a Sydney Apple retail outlet came away with iPhone 7 models instead.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    So apparently both Best Buy and some Apple stores are giving people $100 gift cards because of shipping delays and/or they're leaving the store with a different model than what they wanted. 
  • Reply 2 of 17
    I'll always opt for home delivery over picking up a new iPhone in a store.  
    perkedel
  • Reply 3 of 17
    Ah, Apple never fails to impress. And poke a finger in eye of the so-called tech pundits. 
    caliperkedeliqatedojony0
  • Reply 4 of 17
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Must be recorded video/pics of last year's line because the pundits say the 7 is too boring. 
    caliperkedelwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 5 of 17
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Did they make the EarPods look like AirPods when you first look at them?

edit: Oh yeah, people are going to be miffed. Too many still think the AirPods come with the iPhone 7.

edited September 2016
  • Reply 6 of 17
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    People waiting for iPhone 7 Plus won't receive one?
    wow it was my understanding that pre-order stock and launch day store stock were separated.

I don't get this part of the article. Was there only one person in line? Wtf?

• Reply 7 of 17
    levilevi Posts: 344member
    cali said:
    People waiting for iPhone 7 Plus won't receive one?
    wow it was my understanding that pre-order stock and launch day store stock were separated.

I don't get this part of the article. Was there only one person in line? Wtf?

No mystery here. They're out Plus of phones. Rumors going in indicated camera supply constraints. 
  • Reply 8 of 17
    I'm eager to hear reviews of how well the AirPods (when available) stay in the ears.  Earbuds falling out has always been annoying to me, although the curved 'wings' on my Jaybird Bluebuds hold them in reasonably well.  I'm hoping that the lack of weight from a cord on the AirPods will allow them to stay in well.  We'll see...
  • Reply 9 of 17
    I'm eager to hear reviews of how well the AirPods (when available) stay in the ears.  Earbuds falling out has always been annoying to me, although the curved 'wings' on my Jaybird Bluebuds hold them in reasonably well.  I'm hoping that the lack of weight from a cord on the AirPods will allow them to stay in well.  We'll see...
    Tim said they have stayed in during a number of activities he did. I myself have had issues with normal EarPods...but that was due to the tethered cord inadvertantly yanking them out. I am anxious to get a set of AirPods...
  • Reply 10 of 17
    I just got a call from Apple to reaffirm my desires for a Jet Black iPhone Plus. She said she's trying to route units so that I can pick one up tomorrow. I told her that's great, but this weekend, next week, or next month is all fine to me. She seemed to appreciate that I wasn't telling her everything wrong with Apple.

Personally, their consumer service on this has been amazing, but I'd put as being excessive. No one needs this level of personal support for a fucking consumer electronic. These guys have to be exhausted from all the stress of it, so (please) treat them with respect for helping you.
    bestkeptsecretwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 17
    I hate tech pundits and analysts because they're so damn arrogant. They sit in front of a camera and act like know everything. They believe their personal opinions carry so much weight. What makes these people think they're the representatives of tens of millions of consumers? What is so terrible about the iPhone 7? Because it doesn't use technology from the 25th century. What's so bad about Apple selling a solid and reliable product. It seems like a very solid upgrade. Just because the iPhone 7 doesn't have a slew of whizbang features doesn't mean hardly anyone will buy it.
    perkedel
  • Reply 12 of 17
    I can't believe those people are queuing up outside in NYC like that's. It's dangerous! I mean, angry Samsung users could just drive by and throw their faulty, exploding Note 7s at them!  Probably the only useful thing you can do with one of those wannabe iPhones.
    edited September 2016 SoliperkedelRayz2016watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 17
    Soli said:
    I just got a call from Apple to reaffirm my desires for a Jet Black iPhone Plus. She said she's trying to route units so that I can pick one up tomorrow. I told her that's great, but this weekend, next week, or next month is all fine to me. She seemed to appreciate that I wasn't telling her everything wrong with Apple.

Personally, their consumer service on this has been amazing, but I'd put as being excessive. No one needs this level of personal support for a fucking consumer electronic. These guys have to be exhausted from all the stress of it, so (please) treat them with respect for helping you.
    Apple customer services, particularly today in Sydney, have been nothing but excellent, well organized. Everyone praised them for the extreme attention, quick services, excellent organisation. 
    perkedel
  • Reply 14 of 17

It must be very tough for someone with Cook's experience to know that there will be a shortage. He has to be one of the best, if not the best, supply chain manager and has to take the call on getting the right mix of SKUs out during the launch.

Handling the mix of the iPhone hardware complexity + immense demand + limited production lines is probably the single biggest thing for which he deserves every bonus he gets.

• Reply 15 of 17

It must be very tough for someone with Cook's experience to know that there will be a shortage. He has to be one of the best, if not the best, supply chain manager and has to take the call on getting the right mix of SKUs out during the launch.

Handling the mix of the iPhone hardware complexity + immense demand + limited production lines is probably the single biggest thing for which he deserves every bonus he gets.

You're kidding right?  You call "not one PLUS in any store world wide" a balanced effort? It's a disaster. Take away every single iPhone 7 in all sizes and colors and only offer the phone in PLUS. Would that be a success too?  All the sales figures show on preorder the plus out sold 60% to regular iPhone 40%. But at least they had regular iPhone 7 in all stores on launch day. Were talking opening in 30 countries instead of 8 and not one PLUS in any stores world wide??

after waiting for hours in line your turn up comes and not only do you not get one they stare "Apple management has told us not to expect any for at least one month". They left you with zero options. Just turn and walk out?  You're wanting to give Tim Cook an award for best supply chain manager ever?  Steve had to be turning in his grave over this one. 

They should have reduced the number of countries if they knew going in the preorders would wipe out their supply. They also should have moved the launch a month to have enough product to sell to the reduced number of countries 

Jet Black:  November?  
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 16 of 17
    razormaid said:

You're kidding right?  You call "not one PLUS in any store world wide" a balanced effort? It's a disaster. 
    No, it's not a disaster. When Nancy Lynn crashed and burned while doing flat spins at the Culpepper Air Fest, in front of her 18-year-old son, that was a disaster. When Challenger, Columbia, and SpaceShip One broke up, those were disasters. Not getting the new phone you want on launch day is a minor annoyance. You need to learn the difference. If this is the worst thing that ever happens to you in your life, you are very VERY lucky. 

razormaid said:

They should have reduced the number of countries if they knew going in the preorders would wipe out their supply. They also should have moved the launch a month to have enough product to sell to the reduced number of countries 
    You keep saying that, and it still doesn't make any sense. Because you didn't get your phone today, other people should have to wait a month? How does that help anybody? 
  • Reply 17 of 17
    razormaid said:

LOL There you go with your "if I can't have it no one should" argument. And I'm sure you would have been fine if your country had been dropped after the event because of demand. Your entitlement is sickening. If you don't think Apple should release the Jet Black until November then don't buy it until November, but don't whine because you're not getting one before everyone else. Pathetic.