Apple fans line up worldwide for iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus & Apple Watch Series 2

Posted:
in iPhone edited December 2019
The iPhone 7 and 7 Plus rolled out to 28 regions around the world on Friday, and was anxiously awaited by crowds picking up pre-orders, with others disregarding Apple's warnings of low stock.
AppleInsider reader Ryan from Traced, Inc. noted large crowds were awaiting the the Fifth Avenue, New York City store opening at 8 a.m.
Ryan also sent us a video of the first purchaser of the phone emerging triumphantly from the shop. AppleInsider was on the scene at the Williamsburg, NYC store. Pre-orders started being fulfilled at 8 a.m., with the stand-by line for walk-in customers processing at 10 a.m. We've been told that there is sufficient walk-in stock of the Apple Watch at that location, and no need to line up.

In line for #iPhone7 or #AppleWatch Series 2? Tweet us your pics! Our @thisisneil is at #Apple's Williamsburg store. pic.twitter.com/NlHNNJVkU6

-- AppleInsider (@appleinsider)
Apple's Grand Central Station store was packed as well, with the line filling nearly the entire upper deck outside.
Twitter user and news anchor Rachael Rafanelli took a shot of the crowd at 5 a.m. local time in Portland, Ore.
Azzura Lalani, of the Toronto Star, is on the scene at the Eaton Centre Apple store, and noted about 150 people waiting. At the time the picture was taken, the line had not been separated into pre-orders for store pickup, and for people waiting for the phone for retail sale.
In Detroit, John Gottschalk spotted Apple employees handing out snacks to line-goers.
CNET documented the Apple faithful queueing outside London's Covent Garden store, despite late-summer rains.
While Apple has said that it will not announce launch-day figures, by all accounts the event is going well. Apple has noted that it has sold through the entire launch stock of iPhone 7 Plus in all finishes, and the iPhone 7 in Jet Black. Online orders for in-store pickup will resume on Sept. 17.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    I wonder if this will happen with the release, err, I mean re-release of the Note 7? Will fire trucks be on hand just in case?

Apple fan lines are ridiculed by pundits and critics alike. Even some stuffed shirts right here on AI point and laugh while solemnly declaring they would never stand in line for anything. Apple customers who stand in line are denigrated as robot lemmings and “iSheeple.” You know what? That’s pure, unadulterated jealousy. Other smartphone manufacturers would sell their grandmothers into slavery to see lines like that for their products. Of course those other manufacturers don’t have many stores for people to line up in front of do they? The stores themselves are objects of derision and jokes right here on AI too. More evidence of raging jealousy.
    edited September 2016 TurboPGTlmagoowlymai46anantksundaramnolamacguywatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 24
    "Low demand for a minor upgrade" claimants... eat your shirt!
    stanhopeai46watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 24
    Do those stores actually have that much stock? The last time we (wife and I) got phones on the first day, she went to a store and I preordered (we raced, lol). The first store she went to didn't have the right config, but the second did. I waited at home. She did win - hers was up and running about 1 1/2 hrs before mine. I think that was for the 5.
  • Reply 4 of 24
    lkrupp said:
    I wonder if this will happen with the release, err, I mean re-release of the Note 7? Will fire trucks be on hand just in case?

Apple fan lines are ridiculed by pundits and critics alike. Even some stuffed shirts right here on AI point and laugh while solemnly declaring they would never stand in line for anything. Apple customers who stand in line are denigrated as robot lemmings and “iSheeple.” You know what? That’s pure, unadulterated jealousy. Other smartphone manufacturers would sell their grandmothers into slavery to see lines like that for their products. Of course those other manufacturers don’t have many stores for people to line up in front of do they? The stores themselves are objects of derision and jokes right here on AI too. More evidence of raging jealousy.
    I think both things can be true at the same time. Apple's runaway success creates the environment, but you have to seriously question the priorities of people who stand in line over night to buy an iPhone.
    lmagoo
  • Reply 5 of 24

fixed that for you.
  • Reply 6 of 24
    Nice touch... "Apple employees handing out snacks to line-goers."
    equality72521
  • Reply 7 of 24
    Are those people standing in line actually going to get the phone they want today?
  • Reply 8 of 24
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    TurboPGT said:

fixed that for you.
    Nope. Some of these are pre-orders.
    equality72521
  • Reply 9 of 24
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,022member
    Are those people standing in line actually going to get the phone they want today?
    Not all of them. Some I'm sure just want to play with the new products with no intention of buying today. 
    equality72521pscooter63
  • Reply 10 of 24
    Any news on China?
  • Reply 11 of 24
    TurboPGT said:
    lkrupp said:

I think both things can be true at the same time. Apple's runaway success creates the environment, but you have to seriously question the priorities of people who stand in line over night to buy an iPhone.
    No one does not have to question why people do anything legal that does not compromise someone else's rights Gladys Kravitz.  Is your life a vision of perfection?  Being as judgmental as you seem to be, i'd wager no.  Fix yourself, leave others to their own devices otherwise Iyanla fix my life will hunt you down. LOL
    equality72521
  • Reply 12 of 24
    Why do the have the Watch, when my Pre-order tells me October???
  • Reply 13 of 24
    Now Target is offering people $50 gift cards because Watch shipments are delayed. Does Apple have anything available for purchase today??
  • Reply 14 of 24
    wlymwlym Posts: 102member
    I hear the Samsung lineups at various hospital burn units were longer.
    equality72521watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 24
    You couldn't actually line up and buy an iPhone in the uk today, that line at Covent Garden was for the people who preordered and were picking up at their allocated time. Still a hefty 2hr wait mind which would piss me off if I'd preordered. You could walk to John Lewis just down the road and pick up any model bar the black ones off contract in about 2 minutes for the same price and an extra years warranty 
  • Reply 16 of 24
    For the last week, I have been jumping through hoops to try to purchase an iPhone 7+ using the Apple Upgrade Program, This included a three hour wait on the phone earlier this week to speak to someone at Apple who, according to an article on this web site, would try to help me locate a phone, I was finally able to get a reservation for the phone I wanted at an Apple store about 75 miles from my home. The reservation was for 11:00 this morning, Friday, Sep 16. I was directed to a sales clerk who took all of my information regarding the reservation, she called to the back to get the phone brought up. A few minutes later, she informed me that they didn't have my phone! One of the store managers told me the phones they were expecting to fulfill that morning's reservations had not arrived when they were supposed to. He blamed the problem on FedEx. He could not tell me if they would get the phones today, tomorrow, next week, or even next month. He took my contact info and promised they would get in touch as soon as my phone arrived. I am skeptical that will happen based on how unprepared Apple was at this introduction. It has been very exasperating and I have lost a faith in Apple's commitment to a quality shopping experience for their customer. Anyone else have this problem?
  • Reply 17 of 24
    Now Target is offering people $50 gift cards because Watch shipments are delayed. Does Apple have anything available for purchase today??
    they sold out, what's your point? why are you consistently so mad about apple not being as awesome as you surely would be if you weren't hanging out in minnesota doing whatever it is that you do which is not related to anything apple does?
    edited September 2016 watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 24
    Denmark...
  • Reply 19 of 24
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Reply 20 of 24
    TurboPGT said:
     Apple's runaway success creates the environment, but you have to seriously question the priorities of people who stand in line over night to buy an iPhone.
    Last year was the first time I stood in line overnight, and probably the last. It was a special case. I happened to break my phone that evening and needed a replacement. Also, I had a new puppy at the time, so there was no chance I would get to sleep through the night anyway. 

Most of the people who camp overnight appear to be in their late teens to early 20's. For them, I think it's a social experience. They've probably done the same thing for a movie premiere or a rock concert. They get a "badge" just for saying they did it.