Target, Best Buy hamstrung by Apple Watch, iPhone 7 stock issues

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2016
Brick and mortar retailers Target and Best Buy have apparently not been given enough inventory to fulfill all pre-orders, and are emailing customers informing them that Apple Watch Series 2 orders won't be shipped by the promised date.

Pre-orders at both retailers started alongside Apple's process on Sept. 9, with early buyers being told that shipments would arrive on launch day.

Late Thursday, Best Buy emailed customers saying they would start shipping Apple Watch orders on Sept. 28. Target started sending emails on Friday morning, informing people of stock issues of the Apple Watch, and have not given any indication when shipments might go out.

Best Buy has also informed some customers that Apple Watch Series 1 pre-orders won't be fulfilled until mid-October.

AppleInsider spoke with seven Target stores, only two of them having floor stock of the Series 2 -- one with a single unit, the other two. Of the eight Best Buy stores we polled, only one had stock, and even then it was only one unit.

All of the stores we asked had "a few" iPhone 7 models in rose gold, and no other stock whatsoever for retail purchase above and beyond pre-orders.

Both Target and Best Buy are offering Apple Watch Series 2 customers a $50 in-store credit for the inconvenience.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    Yeah, sucks for other retail this year. Reminds of the first year(s) when other retailers were starting to join launches. Last year's iPhone 6s launch was probably the smoothest and most mature launch yet...this one sets some new lows. Not in terms of sales, in terms of quality of experience. 
    jbishop1039
  • Reply 2 of 21
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    TurboPGT said:
    Yeah, sucks for other retail this year. Reminds of the first year(s) when other retailers were starting to join launches. Last year's iPhone 6s launch was probably the smoothest and most mature launch yet...this one sets some new lows. Not in terms of sales, in terms of quality of experience. 
    If iPhone 7 is selling faster than 6s then what can we say? How could it have gone any smoother?
    macxpress
  • Reply 3 of 21
    When the 6s Plus was coming out I did a "preorder" at Target. They called me in FEBRUARY to tell me my phone had arrived. That's FIVE months after the silly thing was released. Don't order from Target. Just don't.
  • Reply 4 of 21
    I think Apple are producing just as many as the 6S at launch but because they're launching sooner to more countries the stock is spread out.
  • Reply 5 of 21
    So the iPhone 7 is in big demand.  Most of us can accept that, and even the delayed delivery.  What I find not so nice is that Apple made sure that many (if not most) people at carriers & retailers will not get their phones today since they took that stock for themselves because their IUP participants screamed and cried.   Keep in mind many of those same IUP people DID get the phone they wanted.  It's just those who didn't screamed loudly.   I don't like the way Apple handled it.  They didn't give any guaranty with that program that people would get exactly the phone they want and on launch day.  

Apple is pretty much taking a crap on everyone else by doing this, but hey, I guess they can.  So many of us who would have gotten a phone today won't for that very reason.

The lesson I guess is buy directly from Apple in the future.
  • Reply 6 of 21
    How in the world can we know demand when we don't know supply? If there's limited supply of course everything is going to be sold out. 
  • Reply 7 of 21
    How in the world can we know demand when we don't know supply? If there's limited supply of course everything is going to be sold out. 
    Apple is sold out and Samsung sales are on fire. Everybody wins!
    watto_cobraicoco3MacProjony0
  • Reply 8 of 21
    This happened to me, Target and Best Buy should have withheld all in-store stock and used it for pre-orders.  It's bull that walk-in customers are getting phones and watches while their pre-order customers have to wait weeks.
  • Reply 9 of 21
    TurboPGT said:
    this is a perfect storm of events.
    1) great phone
    2) largest ever by country day one deployment
    3) Sep-Dec 2014 was the hugest quarter in iPhone history (and this will be a boomlet of the 2 year contract renewals, which at the time was the standard plan).
    4) Jet Black is the new Black. (and it takes longer to make a jet black phone)

and we must assume that Apple knows exactly what the level of production capacity to build for roll-outs vs carry costs for ongoing (2nd quarter after release) operations.  In short, my guess is the 'new lows' were actually 'finely tuned business risk acceptance to avoid Excessive CapEx and OpEx costs'
    (in short, Apple could have built an amazing factory footprint and ended up paying for it for years... short term 'Wow', long term 'Ow')

And in some circles, scarcity drives up brand value. 

edited September 2016
  • Reply 10 of 21
    RezRez Posts: 19member
    Yap, jet black takes a month to be made, according to AT&T

• Reply 11 of 21
    muadibe said:
    So the iPhone 7 is in big demand.  Most of us can accept that, and even the delayed delivery.  What I find not so nice is that Apple made sure that many (if not most) people at carriers & retailers will not get their phones today since they took that stock for themselves because their IUP participants screamed and cried.   Keep in mind many of those same IUP people DID get the phone they wanted.  It's just those who didn't screamed loudly.   I don't like the way Apple handled it.  They didn't give any guaranty with that program that people would get exactly the phone they want and on launch day.  

Apple is pretty much taking a crap on everyone else by doing this, but hey, I guess they can.  So many of us who would have gotten a phone today won't for that very reason.

I seriously doubt Apple took inventory from shipments to other retailers to make IUP participants happy.  The IUP issue was with time slots, not numbers of phones available to Apple Stores, and it seems Apple is solving the IUP issue by taking units from their own walk-in inventory.  Apple would have worked with their retail partners weeks or months ago to establish how many each of them would get.  Pulling a "we screwed up, but we are going to make your customers suffer for it" is not Apple's way.  It's up to those retailers to determine how they allocate their inventory to pre-orders vs. walk-ins.  But do retailers get many to begin with?  Nope.  That's why I'd never try to get an iPhone on launch day through a retailer: they are 3rd in line behind Apple itself and then the carriers in terms of unit allocation.  And now those retailers are admitting that their own preorders exceeded their initial supply.

edited September 2016 nolamacguypscooter63
  • Reply 12 of 21
    damonf said:
    muadibe said:

I seriously doubt Apple took inventory from shipments to other retailers to make IUP participants happy.  The IUP issue was with time slots, not numbers of phones available to Apple Stores, and it seems Apple is solving the IUP issue by taking units from their own walk-in inventory.  Apple would have worked with their retail partners weeks or months ago to establish how many each of them would get.  Pulling a "we screwed up, but we are going to make your customers suffer for it" is not Apple's way.  It's up to those retailers to determine how they allocate their inventory to pre-orders vs. walk-ins.  But do retailers get many to begin with?  Nope.  That's why I'd never try to get an iPhone on launch day through a retailer: they are 3rd in line behind Apple itself and then the carriers in terms of unit allocation.  And now those retailers are admitting that their own preorders exceeded their initial supply.

I'm no fan of Target or Best Buy, but given the fact that BOTH of them are going back on their delivery date promises and Best Buy is specifically calling out Apple as changing the delivery date on them, I suspect Apple has some blame here.  I can't imagine both of these huge companies this badly screwed up their pre-order inventory calculations during the same launch.
  • Reply 13 of 21
    muadibe said:

how on earth do *you*, a random guy on a rumors site, know how exactly Apple is helping IUP customers? 
    watto_cobraicoco3fastasleep
  • Reply 14 of 21
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,125member
    Carriers have always had a harder time to deliver on launch. The stock has to go through their warehouses before hitting stores.

May resellers may have to get stock from the carriers.

For those few able to buy directly from Apple - we certainly feel like second class citizens. <5% of the models ordered have even shipped! Only Plus available is the 128GB Gold???
  • Reply 15 of 21
    damonf said:
    muadibe said:

I'm no fan of Target or Best Buy, but given the fact that BOTH of them are going back on their delivery date promises and Best Buy is specifically calling out Apple as changing the delivery date on them, I suspect Apple has some blame here.  I can't imagine both of these huge companies this badly screwed up their pre-order inventory calculations during the same launch.
    Right... They have absolutely no reason for lying, no sir, not at all... Oh, they have.
  • Reply 16 of 21
    sog35 said:
    yes. In your world Apple would made 1,000 iPhones for launch.....

We know that Jet Black was "sold out" the minute it went on sale. At my local Apple Store today I didn't even see one on display. That's clearly a supply issue. All I'm saying is without knowing what the initial ramp up was it's impossible to know what true demand is. Are all these models going to be delayed 2-4 (or longer) weeks a month or two from now? Also who puts something on sale and then says sorry out of stock? Best Buy and Target are giving people gift cards because their Watch's will be delayed. Does anyone really believe the Watch is in such high demand that it's already out of stock everywhere?
  • Reply 17 of 21
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    hmlongco said:
    When the 6s Plus was coming out I did a "preorder" at Target. They called me in FEBRUARY to tell me my phone had arrived. That's FIVE months after the silly thing was released. Don't order from Target. Just don't.
    1) That's a crazy wait time. I feel like they must have dropped the ball on filling orders, too.

2) I keep reading that Apple has never had demand outstrip supply for an iPhone launch before the iPhone 7, so you must be lying¡. :p
  • Reply 18 of 21
    Rez said:
    Yap, jet black takes a month to be made, according to AT&T

Just send 'em over to Earl Scheib, they'll get 'er done.
    Soli
  • Reply 19 of 21
    Yeah I was supposed to get me 7 plus today in the mail from best buy. Pushed me back 2 weeks! Never ordering from best buy again. I know its not their fault but they obv dont have a grip on what they are really gonna get...
  • Reply 20 of 21
    Yeah I was supposed to get me 7 plus today in the mail from best buy. Pushed me back 2 weeks! Never ordering from best buy again. I know its not their fault but they obv dont have a grip on what they are really gonna get...
    How do you know its not their fault?
    They probably reserved some stock from Apple and got a lot more orders than expected (even Apple got more orders).
    I'm guessing they got the stocks Apple promised/contracted for so it is not Apple's fault.