Some new iOS 10 Home app features not supported by third-gen Apple TV [u]

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited September 2016
After users upgrade devices to iOS 10, they won't be able to take full advantage of some new HomeKit-related features on older, third generation Apple TVs.

The move, first noted by the Apple Support Twitter account and on the HomeKit support page, comes in tandem with the ability to use an iPad running iOS 10 on a dwelling's local area network to perform hub duties, and the launch of the new Home app. Setup remains the same, and requires two-factor authentication for the user's Apple ID.

Devices remaining on iOS 9 can continue to use an existing installation, at least for now. Apple has not issued a software update for the third generation Apple TV disabling the feature entirely.

However, iOS 9 devices cannot connect to and control devices through an iPad acting as a HomeKit hub.

While HomeKit devices have always had a form of universal control through Siri, full functionality has required third-party apps, coded by hardware makers for their own hardware. The new Home app in iOS 10 bridges all the disparate apps.

Update: Apple in an update to the HomeKit support webpage has clarified that third-generation Apple TV hardware can, in fact, remotely control HomeKit accessories. User permissions, automation and remote streaming of HomeKit-enabled cameras are still limited to fourth-generation units.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Always thought it required a 4th gen anyway.
    williamlondonjbishop1039argonaut
  • Reply 2 of 14
    The title suggests that we with a TV v2 might be lucky/compatible. But we aren't. I think the article could have been clearer; the referred link from Apple was clearer.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    I'm guessing it will be fixed with an iOS or ATV3 update soon.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,248member
    Mike, would you please fix your first sentence. It's saying two things, one I don't think you want to say (hopefully).

"After users upgrade devices to iOS 10, users are no longer able to utilize a third generation Apple TV is no longer able to act as a HomeKit hub for remote access of home automation gear through iCloud."
  • Reply 5 of 14
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    The title suggests that we with a TV v2 might be lucky/compatible. But we aren't. I think the article could have been clearer; the referred link from Apple was clearer.
    Why would you get that impression? The second gen Apple TV has never supported HomeKit, from inception.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    Confusing that the author posted a picture of the 4th gen AppleTV? 
  • Reply 7 of 14
      The second gen Apple TV has never supported HomeKit, from inception.
    You may know that, but I didn't. So I interpreted it as stated: "the third generation is not compatible". I admire you for being so well informed. I come to this site to become as smart as you.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    sog35 said:
    Good.

The AppleTV3 is way too weak and slow
    You made my ATV3 sad.  :(
  • Reply 9 of 14
    1. I recently bought an August Smart Lock. Remote access worked fine with iOS 9.3.5, Siri, and a 3rd-gen AppleTV serving as a HomeKit hub. Now, in order to be compatible with iOS 10 and Apple’s Home app, my Smart Lock needs a firmware update. The update isn’t ready yet.

2. My 3rd-gen Apple TV can no longer serve as a HomeKIt hub.

3. My 9.7 inch iPad Pro could serve as a hub, but only if I leave it at home and plugged into the charger. (Unacceptable.)

4. OK, fine, so I ordered a 4th-gen Apple TV, but….

5. The new Apple TV doesn’t support TOSlink, so I can no longer connect my perfectly serviceable old iPod Hi-Fi to my home network. Crap, now I need an HDMI/TOSlink splitter, and another HDMI cable.

6. OK, in the fullness of time, all of this will get sorted, and the future will once again be gloriously better than the past. In the meantime, though, it’ll have cost me a bunch of money I wasn’t expecting to pay out just to get back what I already had before. IT SURE WOULD HAVE BEEN NICE to have had a little more explicit warning from Apple before I voluntarily turned myself yet again into a technology-besotted idiot.
    caliJanNL
  • Reply 10 of 14
    misamisa Posts: 827member
    I'd probably wait for a revision of the Apple TV (Eg one that supports h.265 and 4K/8K) before considering it a reason to buy. 

The AppleTV has never been really compelling because other devices are more capable (like a Wii U, Xbox 360, even the ISP provided IPTV box) and the only reason to use the AppleTV over these other boxes is HomeKit/Siri
    cali
  • Reply 11 of 14

I do not own a fourth generation Apple TV, only a third generation and my third generation Apple TV is connected as a hub just fine.  See attached photo. 

• Reply 12 of 14
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,163member

I'd probably wait for a revision of the Apple TV (Eg one that supports h.265 and 4K/8K) before considering it a reason to buy. 

Same here. I will retire my ATV 3rd gen to the bedroom when there is an ATV with those features. Not before.
    cali
  • Reply 13 of 14
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Why can't the Apple TV work as an accessory? I'm disappointed at the lack of features like enabling Dark Mode when the sun sets.

entropys said:

Same here. I will retire my ATV 3rd gen to the bedroom when there is an ATV with those features. Not before.
    Apple seems to be waiting on something. They're still not taking Apple TV seriously.

I'd like to see M10 Motion chip, Taptic Engine, Touch ID, 3D Touch on Siri remote an A10X processor for gaming/4K/whatever and possibly modern Kinect tech.