iPhone 7 solid-state home button works on capacitive touch, gloved users beware

Comments

• Reply 21 of 64
    roake said:
    Awesome job at inserting the politics into the story (the photo)
    It should go without saying, but the photographic reproduction of a headline from another publication, in this case The Washington Post, is not an endorsement of its contents. The photo is focusing on Touch ID, as is the headline and body of the story it accompanies. Thanks.
    montrosemacscaliwilliamlondonzoetmbwaverboyDeelronfreerangebaconstang
  • Reply 22 of 64
    Big freaking DEAL. You can't use ANY touch screens with regular gloves on ANY phone. What good does the home button give you if you can't use the touch screen or touch ID in the first place? People will make an issue about anything Apple....
    edited September 2016 caliwilliamlondonredraider11brucemctmaynolamacguybaconstang
  • Reply 23 of 64
    roakeroake Posts: 811member
    roake said:
    It should go without saying, but the photographic reproduction of a headline from another publication, in this case The Washington Post, is not an endorsement of its contents. The photo is focusing on Touch ID, as is the headline and body of the story it accompanies. Thanks.
    In that case, just fuzz out the headline.  Otherwise, it's a poor understanding of political manipulation that you guys have.  I definitally lose respect for a publication that worms crap like this into an unrelated story then attempts to justify it by saying "'someone else did it, so it's okay for us, too."

What if MacRumors showed a similar phone graphic but with the headline, "AppleInsider sucks"?  would you ignore it because the new button was a little more centered than the headline?
    edited September 2016 perkedel
  • Reply 24 of 64
    misamisa Posts: 827member
    dacloo said:
    I tried the iPhone 7 home button and Apple did a piss poor job at it. What a regression. It feels wrong.
    And without tactical feedback you are indeed screwed in a colder environment. Like  anyone's going to buy separate gloves for their iPhone. Or is that another 'accessory' they'll ship with the iPhone to transition to a propriety set of gloves for $159?

Apple is obsessed with the wrong things.
    IMO not really a big deal, you've needed capacitive gloves to use the touch screen since day one. The only thing that has changed is that the "home button/touch id" sensor uses it, which means you can't use touch id with gloves on either. So Apple Pay and touch-id login/unlock is a bit more of a pain, but not really any worse than it was before.
  • Reply 25 of 64
    These concerns are baseless or nothing new. With Lift-to-Wake and “Hey Siri” you can do all the same things that previous gen phones did when you had gloves on. 
  • Reply 26 of 64
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Reply 27 of 64
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    How'd you guys like the new home button?

weird at first but cool overall. Felt old school going back to the clicky button on SE. 
    nolamacguy
  • Reply 28 of 64
    The only thing that is constant is change. The new home button does take some getting used to, but we'll get used to it just like we do whatever's new in every iteration of iPhone.
    Enjoy the iPhone 7/7Plus. I am.

edited September 2016 calinolamacguy
  • Reply 29 of 64
    Well  if your gloves dont work with the capacitive home button... they wont work with the touch screen either. 
    So  whats to point of all this home button rant if  the whole phone is rendered  useless with gloves? ......and it has been that way since the get go.  

Again.. Fud by competition... 

edited September 2016 Deelroncalinolamacguywatto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 64
    roake said:
    roake said:
    In that case, just fuzz out the headline.  Otherwise, it's a poor understanding of political manipulation that you guys have.  I definitally lose respect for a publication that worms crap like this into an unrelated story then attempts to justify it by saying "'someone else did it, so it's okay for us, too."

What if MacRumors showed a similar phone graphic but with the headline, "AppleInsider sucks"?  would you ignore it because the new button was a little more centered than the headline?
    You're missing the point. If you look back at what I wrote, I'm neither condoning nor condemning the Post's headline. It's inclusion is completely arbitrary, it has nothing -- zero, nada, zilch -- to do with our story. 

It is our duty to provide informative and illustrative articles about Apple, not sanitize, censor or otherwise alter an Apple News feed simply because certain content might not sit well with a reader's political proclivities. That is not our business, nor is it our right.

As journalists we must carefully weigh the pros and cons of publishing controversial or otherwise sensitive photos, the recent kerfuffle regarding Facebook's censure of Pulitzer-winning AP image "napalm girl" comes to mind. A photo of an iPhone displaying the title of an op-ed by an established journalistic publication -- no matter its leanings -- is not by any sane measure controversial. 

End of discussion. 
    smaceslinwilliamlondondavenwaverboyDeelrontmaysphericnolamacguydysamoriabaconstang
  • Reply 31 of 64
    jgreg728 said:
    Big freaking DEAL. You can't use ANY touch screens with regular gloves on ANY phone. What good does the home button give you if you can't use the touch screen or touch ID in the first place? People will make an issue about anything Apple....
    Many smartphones have had so called "glove mode" in their touchscreens for years now and some of them work really well with regular gloves. But that would be mostly useless feature in iPhone anyway, because it shuts down very quickly in cold environment.

• Reply 32 of 64
    Why not use the on/off switch on the side to activate the screen?
  • Reply 33 of 64
    Why not read the article before posting?

With a physically depressible home button, gloved hands can wake iPhone, return to home, invoke Siri and perform other OS actions with ease. Not so with iPhone 7.

• Reply 34 of 64
    misa said:
    kpom said:
    Capacitive gloves have been around for quite a while now. I just tried the button through my shirt. it worked fine.
    But it can't read your fingerprint through it.
    And that's why this is a stupid, pointless article.  If you're using touchid as most should, you need to remove the glove even if it's capacitive. 
    redraider11caliperkedel
  • Reply 35 of 64
    Question to cold weather iPhone users who wear capacitance gloves.  Do you usually use Touch ID or swipe and type your pin to unlock?
    dysamoriabaconstang
  • Reply 36 of 64
    Hey Mikey, do you need Myke Hurley from Twitter to tell you that the the display on the iPhone is capacitative touch and you're looking for a tempest in a teapot here? Did Myke Hurley from Twitter tell you how to 'secretly' inject your personal politics into geek articles? By the way, read the article on iMore, "Yes, iPhone 7 Home button works fine with capacitive gloves"
    edited September 2016 cali
  • Reply 37 of 64
    mobius said:

With a physically depressible home button, gloved hands can wake iPhone, return to home, invoke Siri and perform other OS actions with ease. Not so with iPhone 7.

There are 2 buttons:
      1. Home (in front)
      2. Lock (on side)

This article is about button #1, whereas shikotsumyaku was referring to button #2. I believe shikotsumyaku is correct that using the side-mounted Lock button is a good workaround because it DOES respond to physical pressure.

Even better solution = the new "Raise to Wake"; thI s means you don't have to press ANY button to see the Lock screen (which is all you could see with previous iPhone if wearing non-capacitive gloves).
    redraider11flashfan207Deelroncaliperkedeldysamoria
  • Reply 38 of 64
    mobius said:

There are 2 buttons:
      1. Home (in front)
      2. Lock (on side)

This article is about button #1, whereas shikotsumyaku was referring to button #2. I believe shikotsumyaku is correct that using the side-mounted Lock button is a good workaround because it DOES respond to physical pressure.

Even better solution = the new "Raise to Wake"; thI s means you don't have to press ANY button to see the Lock screen (which is all you could see with previous iPhone if wearing non-capacitive gloves).
    If you are someone, like me, who is often wearing gloves due to their job or other reason (there are many), you have to turn off Touch ID and instead use a passcode to secure your phone. There is currently no (convenient) way to reach the passcode entry screen without using the home button.

Further, I'm sure I don't need to tell you that the home button does more than activate the lock screen. The sleep/wake button isn't a solution to these issues. That's not to say it couldn't be utilised for some more of the home button's functionality in a software update.
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 39 of 64
    mobius said:
    mobius said:

There are 2 buttons:
      1. Home (in front)
      2. Lock (on side)

If you are someone, like me, who is often wearing gloves due to their job or other reason (there are many), you have to turn off Touch ID and instead use a passcode to secure your phone. There is currently no (convenient) way to reach the passcode entry screen without using the home button.

Further, I'm sure I don't need to tell you that the home button does more than activate the lock screen. The sleep/wake button isn't a solution to these issues. That's not to say it couldn't be utilised for some more of the home button's functionality in a software update.
    Fair enough, mobius. Curious though, what good is getting to the password unlock screen with a glove on if the screen won't read your numerical inputs? I have an iPhone 6, is there a way to do that that I'm missing? Also, from the lock screen what features does physically depressing the home button offer you that tilt to wake and hey Siri don't? I'm not asking to be facetious or a dick or anything, I'm honestly just curious in case I'm missing out on some functionality I don't know about. Winter is coming, after all. 
    brucemc
  • Reply 40 of 64
    mobius said:
    mobius said:

There are 2 buttons:
      1. Home (in front)
      2. Lock (on side)

Fair enough, mobius. Curious though, what good is getting to the password unlock screen with a glove on if the screen won't read your numerical inputs? I have an iPhone 6, is there a way to do that that I'm missing? Also, from the lock screen what features does physically depressing the home button offer you that tilt to wake and hey Siri don't? I'm not asking to be facetious or a dick or anything, I'm honestly just curious in case I'm missing out on some functionality I don't know about. Winter is coming, after all. 
    The touch screen works fine through latex, vinyl and various thin polythene gloves that I use. Obviously, for thicker winter gloves you would need specific capacitive responsive gloves.

It's not so much the features from the lock screen, more navigation once the phone is unlocked.
    edited September 2016 dysamoria