Tips: Apple Watch Series 2's 'Wake Screen on Crown Up' lets you discreetly check the time

Posted:
in Apple Watch
The newly released Apple Watch Series 2 boasts a unique feature that allows users to check the time in a more subtle way, without distracting people nearby, via the Digital Crown. Here's how to use it.

Apple Watch gif

Dubbed "Wake Screen on Crown Up," the new feature allows users to slowly turn the Digital Crown on the Apple Watch Series 2 upward, without raising their wrist. Doing this slowly turns on the Apple Watch display at varying levels of brightness.

With just a small turn upward on the Digital Crown, users can view the watch face on their wrist at a much dimmer setting. While active, the user can raise their wrist to get a closer look at the Apple Watch while retaining the dim brightness.

This new capability will make it easier for Apple Watch wearers to check the time without bothering others --?such as in a movie theater, where the bright light of an illuminated screen is a distraction.

The key to using this feature is to begin to turn the Digital Crown without raising your wrist. In addition, if you roll the Digital Crown in the other direction without raising your wrist, the brightness decreases in the same manner until the screen goes black.

By placing your wrist back down, the Apple Watch display automatically turns off, as usual. Raising the wrist again, without touching the Digital Crown, will return to displaying the screen at its normal brightness level.

Roll the Digital Crown upward far enough and the Apple Watch Series 2 display will reach normal brightness and stay on, as if the wearer had tapped the screen or pressed a button.

It appears that "Wake Screen on Crown Up" is exclusive to the new Apple Watch Series 2 hardware, potentially tied to the capabilities of the new twice-as-bright display.

Users can enable or disable the feature by opening the Apple Watch app on a connected iPhone, choosing "General," and then "Wake Screen." By default, a new Apple Watch ships with "Wake Screen on Crown Up" enabled.

For another tip on how to be a polite time-checking moviegoer while wearing the Apple Watch, see our tip on how to create an unobtrusive, low-light movie theatre face.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I'm glad they didn't make the phone thinner and made watch thicker. It shows the aren't culturally tone-deaf. These devices will get thinner, but only should when the battery life becomes very good. It's not there yet. The battery life of MacBook for example isn't good enough for me having lived with MacBook Air 13". Even the MacBook Air battery life isn't even to where I'm happy with it yet. Thin them out when battery life improves.

On the other hand I hope they don't listen to the vocal minority when it come to their computers and I hope they get rid of the jack for Lightning. If you are going to say wireless is the future then you also need Lightning consistency. It makes no sense that the bundled buds with your iPhone don't work with your Mac. The pros will deal with it—consistency should be the goal.

Besides the wireless future however, down the line I'd like to see USB become even smaller (as small as Lightning, or smaller) and Apple adopt it for everything. One standard connector across all technology products from all companies is the ideal. Wireless has standards—will eventually have one instead of two—a single wired standard is the wired future too. Our grand kids should have two options: wired or wireless. It should be that simple. Even wall outlets should use these ports. Kettles, sockets, everything.
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 2 of 9
    ireland said:
    I'm glad they didn't make the phone thinner and made watch thicker. It shows the aren't culturally tone-deaf. These devices will get thinner, but only should when the battery life becomes very good. It's not there yet. The battery life of MacBook for example isn't good enough for me having lived with MacBook Air 13". Even the MacBook Air battery life isn't even to where I'm happy with it yet. Thin them out when battery life improves.

On the other hand I hope they don't listen to the vocal minority when it come to their computers and I hope they get rid of the jack for Lightning. If you are going to say wireless is the future then you also need Lightning consistency. It makes no sense that the bundled buds with your iPhone don't work with your Mac. The pros will deal with it—consistency should be the goal.

Besides the wireless future however, down the line I'd like to see USB become even smaller (as small as Lightning, or smaller) and Apple adopt it for everything. One standard connector across all technology products from all companies is the ideal. Wireless has standards—will eventually have one instead of two—a single wired standard is the wired future too. Our grand kids should have two options: wired or wireless. It should be that simple. Even wall outlets should use these ports. Kettles, sockets, everything.
    Just speaking for myself, but I think pro equipment should be more flexible as far as connectivity goes. The phone lost the headphone jack due to the sizes of other interior components bumping up against the relatively large plug inside. There's no such battle for interior space in a MacBook or MacBook Pro as far as I know.
    edited September 2016 [Deleted User]
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Thank you!
  • Reply 4 of 9
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    ireland said:

Just speaking for myself, but I think pro equipment should be more flexible as far as connectivity goes. The phone lost the headphone jack due to the sizes of other interior components bumping up against the relatively large plug inside. There's no such battle for interior space in a MacBook or MacBook Pro as far as I know.
    No, that battle doesn't exist, but there are reasons from Apple's perspective to remove the headphone jack in favor of a Lightning port or another USB-C port.

Personally, I'd like the headphone jack to stay around longer, but if it has to go, I'm torn as to whether is should be replaced by Lightning or USB-C. If Lightnng, it then becomes single-purpose port like the port they removed, but it also means you don't need an adapter for the Lightning headphones. With USB-C you get an extra USB port and the future of the common headphone port is going to be USB-C, but Apple will need to supply a USB-C-to-Lightning adapter, and probably one with a DAC and amp built in as what I've seen indicates their included adapter with the iPhone doesn't have one. Neither of these are a great solution.

With the 12" MacBook, I'd like to see USB-C on both sides, not an analog headphone jack, if they re going to have only one port per side.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    ireland said:

The solution if you like wired is to own two different sets of headphones for your two devices or use a dongle to get Apple headphones to work with an Apple laptop? Doesn't strike me as very Apple or a nice experience. Not joking but it'd make me rethink purchasing a MacBook Pro if it doesn't have Lightning for the buds that come with new iPhones. If you say the jack is 150 years old and it's had its day in the sun then be bold and kill the thing. Go big or go home. As for the pros who need to use that port jack in MacBooks for another use, they'll adapt and there's always the bundled adapter for those use cases. Lightning, an adapter or Bluetooth—thems are the choices. Kill the jack. Never much liked it anyway.
    edited September 2016 cali
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Soli said:
    ireland said:

No, that battle doesn't exist, but there are reasons from Apple's perspective to remove the headphone jack in favor of a Lightning port or another USB-C port.

Personally, I'd like the headphone jack to stay around longer, but if it has to go, I'm torn as to whether is should be replaced by Lightning or USB-C. If Lightnng, it then becomes single-purpose port like the port they removed, but it also means you don't need an adapter for the Lightning headphones. With USB-C you get an extra USB port and the future of the common headphone port is going to be USB-C, but Apple will need to supply a USB-C-to-Lightning adapter, and probably one with a DAC and amp built in as what I've seen indicates their included adapter with the iPhone doesn't have one. Neither of these are a great solution.

With the 12" MacBook, I'd like to see USB-C on both sides, not an analog headphone jack, if they re going to have only one port per side.
    If USBc becomes common wired headphone standard (I think it's too big) Apple'a computers will have a few or at least one USBc port so that's covered. As for those who buy a new iPhone, they should be able to plug in without an adapter. That's the USBc people, the Lightning people, the Bluetooth people, and the adapter crowd. Everyone's covered.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    ireland said:
    Soli said:
    ireland said:

If USBc becomes common wired headphone standard (I think it's too big) Apple'a computers will have a few or at least one USBc port so that's covered. As for those who buy a new iPhone, they should be able to plug in without an adapter. That's the USBc people, the Lightning people, the Bluetooth people, and the adapter crowd. Everyone's covered.
    1) I expect USB-C to be a lot more than a single port as Apple moves forward with it in the next few years.

2) I don't foresee Lightning and USB-C side-by side on an iPhone. That adds back the redundancy, but in a much worse way for the customer and Apple.
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Soli said:
    ireland said:
    Soli said:
    ireland said:

1) I expect USB-C to be a lot more than a single port as Apple moves forward with it in the next few years.

2) I don't foresee Lightning and USB-C side-by side on an iPhone. That adds back the redundancy, but in a much worse way for the customer and Apple.
    I meant Lightning and USBc on a Mac.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    There's more Lightning devices than USB C devices.

I have a feeling Apple will add function to lightning in "lightning 2". It makes sense that apple go with Lightning as they control the technology and can advance it rapidly. 

edited September 2016