iPhone 7 solid-state home button works on capacitive touch, gloved users beware

Comments

• Reply 41 of 64
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    100% non-issue. You can't do jack shit with your phone with non-capacitive gloves anyway. 
    williamlondoncaliperkedelnolamacguy
  • Reply 42 of 64
    I don't see the problem. There is nothing you could do before the iPhone 7 you can't do now. 
    caliperkedel
  • Reply 43 of 64
    dbolander said:
    These concerns are baseless or nothing new. With Lift-to-Wake and “Hey Siri” you can do all the same things that previous gen phones did when you had gloves on. 
    Exactly. The article says that the functionality of clicking the home button with gloves to wake the phone has been lost, but its been replaced with the lift to wake, not lost.
    caliperkedeltmaybrucemc
  • Reply 44 of 64
    mobius said:

...There is currently no (convenient) way to reach the passcode entry screen without using the home button...
    Actually there is. You just pull out the phone and look at it. The phone wakes and you can enter the passcode. You don't need to press anything to wake the phone anymore.
    caliperkedeltmay
  • Reply 45 of 64
    I remember when a capacitive button was seen as something to mock. How times, and opinions have changed. 
  • Reply 46 of 64
    I don't see the problem. There is nothing you could do before the iPhone 7 you can't do now. 
    Previously, you could click the home button. Now you can't.
  • Reply 47 of 64
    clexman said:
    Previously, you could click the home button. Now you can't.
    Because now you don't NEED to click the Home button. Lifting the phone will already display the Lock Screen, which is all the previous iPhones did from a press without skin contact or capacitive gloves.
    caliperkedeltmaybrucemcnolamacguyDeelron
  • Reply 48 of 64
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    clexman said:
    mobius said:

...There is currently no (convenient) way to reach the passcode entry screen without using the home button...
    Actually there is. You just pull out the phone and look at it. The phone wakes and you can enter the passcode. You don't need to press anything to wake the phone anymore.

As cool as the feature is it seems a little slow. I feel I can wake the screen faster manually. I'm sure Apple could speed it up in the future as it seems like a software problem.
  • Reply 49 of 64
    I have found it difficult to even enter my passcode while wearing my welders gloves. I wish someone would have written an article about that before I went out an bought a phone.  ;)
    perkedeltmayDeelronbaconstang
  • Reply 50 of 64
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,328member
    dacloo said:
    I tried the iPhone 7 home button and Apple did a piss poor job at it. What a regression. It feels wrong.
    And without tactical feedback you are indeed screwed in a colder environment. Like  anyone's going to buy separate gloves for their iPhone. Or is that another 'accessory' they'll ship with the iPhone to transition to a propriety set of gloves for $159?

Apple is obsessed with the wrong things.
    Speculating based on rumors, but next year, you aren't even going to have a physical home button, but with that, you will get an overall smaller form factor with the same screen size, which most of us would consider a benefit.

Yeah, Apple is obsessed with the wrong things. /s

• Reply 51 of 64
    Some capacitive gloves work with the touch screen but not the home button. Also the home button isn't just used for unlocking the phone, it's used to go back to the home screen and switch apps. 3D Touch swiping from the left edge is not an option with gloves on.

I have a feeling slide to unlock will come back. Not everyone can or wants to use Touch ID. In the meantime I guess folks in colder climates will have to turn on Assistive Touch (if they know where to find it in settings).
  • Reply 52 of 64
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    dacloo said:
    gprovida said:
    I am confused. Since the touch screen requires bare fingers or specialized gloves - why would the glove be an issue if the access to 99.9999% of functionality require screen access.   This seems to be achieving more self consistency on phone access. 
    1. Siri
    2. Checking the home screen

It's not just cold weather. Gloves are used in many professions, e.g farmers, construction workers all wear gloves. If you're working you want to keep fast access to your phone. Not everyone using iPhones are tech hipsters.
    Question if you are obtuse or just a troll?

As others point out on this thread, with iPhone 7 (and prior 6s) you can easily access Siri with "Hey Siri". No need to touch anything. Now more convenient than ever. 

Checking the the homescreen can be done with hitting the physical sleep/on button, or with raise to wake. 

Previously, with "regular " gloves, you could not do much on your phone (cannot unlock with TouchID or code, use apps, etc). This requires capacitive gloves. Which will work with the new home button. 

So so there is no "functionality" removed, just a couple of different ways to access Siri and lock screen.  

Moving to a touch-based system allows the improved waterproofing, and sets stage for further evolution in form factor and functionality. And improved quality with less moving parts. 

AI certainly had a slanted, opinionated article on this one. Apple has enough media that always take the glass half full (and could spill at anytime!!!) approach, it isn't needed here. 
  • Reply 53 of 64
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    This impacts 0.00000000001% of iPhone owners. Stfu. 1 phone can't meet all ways of usage. Change or adapt. What about the blind, the deaf, the handicap...? Whatever!
  • Reply 54 of 64
    I already have a pair of gloves with the ability to open the finger. Works great for touch and for fingerprint. Then close to keep the cold out if needed. I can see this being slightly limiting, but not too much different really.
  • Reply 55 of 64
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    dacloo said:
    gprovida said:
    I am confused. Since the touch screen requires bare fingers or specialized gloves - why would the glove be an issue if the access to 99.9999% of functionality require screen access.   This seems to be achieving more self consistency on phone access. 
    1. Siri

It's not just cold weather. Gloves are used in many professions, e.g farmers, construction workers all wear gloves. If you're working you want to keep fast access to your phone. Not everyone using iPhones are tech hipsters.
    Take off the fucking gloves and use the damn phone, lazynut!
  • Reply 56 of 64
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    kent909 said:
    I have found it difficult to even enter my passcode while wearing my welders gloves. I wish someone would have written an article about that before I went out an bought a phone.  ;)
    That kind of sucks, but try driving a manual transmission car equipped with Apple CarPlay while wearing snowshoes. Yep... Apple's fault again. 
    baconstangwilliamlondonrbelize
  • Reply 57 of 64
    fallenjt said:
    dacloo said:
    gprovida said:
    1. Siri

Or maybe Apple's designers and engineers should try using the phone with gloves since not everyone lives in warm climates (or uses Touch ID). There should be a way to unlock the phone without having to physically press the home button with your bare skin. Prior to this year you could swipe to unlock. Unless Apple is recommending assistive touch? But I don't see it anywhere in their product marketing. I'm curious did Craig Federighi or Phil Schiller ever explain why Apple removed slide to unlock? I know Craig talked about swiping left to access the camera now but I don't remember either of them specifically mentioning slide to unlock going away.
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 58 of 64
    This makes me wonder... Why are we using battery power to create haptic feedback of the home button instead of having a power-less click feedback from mechanical buttons?
    baconstang
  • Reply 59 of 64
    fallenjt said:
    dacloo said:
    gprovida said:
    1. Siri

Or maybe Apple's designers and engineers should try using the phone with gloves since not everyone lives in warm climates (or uses Touch ID). There should be a way to unlock the phone without having to physically press the home button with your bare skin. Prior to this year you could swipe to unlock. Unless Apple is recommending assistive touch? But I don't see it anywhere in their product marketing. I'm curious did Craig Federighi or Phil Schiller ever explain why Apple removed slide to unlock? I know Craig talked about swiping left to access the camera now but I don't remember either of them specifically mentioning slide to unlock going away.
    I've occasionally used my nose...
    haar
  • Reply 60 of 64
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    That's too bad. I would have assumed that Force Touch would be in play for the Home Button.