iPhone 7 owners say phones producing 'hissing' sound under heavy task loads

Comments

• Reply 21 of 99
    If people are "annoyed", then can return their phones within 14 days; or is this the usual fake "outrage" (sic) related to Apple.
    watto_cobracalitallest skil
  • Reply 22 of 99
    Boyle-Marriott pV=nRT. The temperature increases inside, as consequence the pressure increases and as this model is fully sealed with waterproof gaskets, the air "fights" for going out. (At least it sounds like that for me)
    watto_cobraxmhillxcali
  • Reply 23 of 99
    Ouch. Seems like no one here has been around long enough to recognize this. It's the clock of the processor you're hearing through some sort of electromagnetic coupling to the enclosure. In this case it must a beat frequency that is within the audible range. I remember being able to tell by ear which part of a program a CPU was in. Different loops made different noises.
    raz0rdysamoriacalidoozydozenVanilla
  • Reply 24 of 99
    artharg said:
    Ouch. Seems like no one here has been around long enough to recognize this. It's the clock of the processor you're hearing through some sort of electromagnetic coupling to the enclosure. In this case it must a beat frequency that is within the audible range. I remember being able to tell by ear which part of a program a CPU was in. Different loops made different noises.
    This would've been my guess too. The iPhone isn't actually hermetically sealed around the speaker and the microphone. It has a series of meshes that have holes which are small enough so that the water surface tension isn't broken and it can't flood these areas. Besides, there's not enough air inside the phone that would enable hot and expanding air to make a noise that's this consistent and long lasting. It's interference.

I guess time will tell what kind of interference it is exactly.
    dysamoriawelshdog
  • Reply 25 of 99
    Air escaping a water-tight encasement as its two fast cores heat up?
    I think we have a winner!
  • Reply 26 of 99
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Samsung waits until your house explodes before offering a replacement. Apple does with the mere sound of a fuse being lit.
    edited September 2016 watto_cobrajkichlinecalidoozydozen
  • Reply 27 of 99
    foggyhill said:
    I'm guessing, heat under high load heats air quick, air takes more volume, escapes through a tiny hole (see balloon).
    And what temperatures are you expecting that iPhone to be warmed up to in order to produce that effect? 200F, 400F? How much time should it take to get to that t? .1 second?
    (sigh)

I am pretty sure that thermal capacity of the phone will not allow that to happen. 
    It will take much more time to get it to the needed temperature, than for that air to escape. In other words - no, that is unlikely that this hissing sound is from escaping air.

By the way, my internet provider sent me a router that hisses exactly like that. I am curious if people who spotted that "hiss", were sitting next to some crappy e-device that did that. I don't think Apple would allow that type of crappy engineering to pass their tests...
    _dave_pscooter63cali
  • Reply 28 of 99
    Could be load-pull from the processor causing the "quiet, stable" audio reference ground voltage to fluctuate when the application processor is running at full capacity. Or electrostriction of capacitors causing the logic board to vibrate at an audible frequency. The old RAZR V3's used to have the latter problem with their displays—a perfect combination of display resolution, panel size, lens air gap, and frame refresh rate caused them to resonate at an audible frequency. 
    edited September 2016 dysamoriaanton zuykov
  • Reply 29 of 99
    dogolaca said:
    Don't load it that way.
    Hahahaha.  That's awesome!

"You're tasking it wrong."
    edited September 2016 doozydozen
  • Reply 30 of 99
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,630member
    Venting prevents explosion.

Is it an electrical hiss, an acoustical (speaker) hiss, or a boiling hiss?
  • Reply 31 of 99
    It is all those users that downloaded the soundtrack from The Jungle Book.

Trussst in me.
    Jussst in me.
    Shut your eyes and trussst in me.
    cali
  • Reply 32 of 99
    misamisa Posts: 827member
    artharg said:
    This kind of thing happens with my computer monitor. When the screen is mostly white, I can hear some kind of high pitch noise, but it isn't present when it's mostly dark. Like I replaced the sound card and still hear it, so I know it's not coming from the desktop.

Also to note, I actually hear high pitch noises that my parents can't hear.

dysamoria
  • Reply 33 of 99
    I'm sure this will be properly addresses with the iPhone 7s
  • Reply 34 of 99
    misa said:
    artharg said:
    This kind of thing happens with my computer monitor. When the screen is mostly white, I can hear some kind of high pitch noise, but it isn't present when it's mostly dark. Like I replaced the sound card and still hear it, so I know it's not coming from the desktop.

Also to note, I actually hear high pitch noises that my parents can't hear.

some TVs do this as well -- whiter screens with a high pitched whine. my plasma does, read users discussing it on a forum. 
    dysamoria
  • Reply 35 of 99
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    eriamjh said:
    Venting prevents explosion.

Is it an electrical hiss, an acoustical (speaker) hiss, or a boiling hiss?
    Post 7 included a sound file
    Soli
  • Reply 36 of 99
    My 6S has started doing the same thing under load after my upgrade to iOS 10.  So it's not model-specific.

Playing Clash Royale makes it hiss every single time.
  • Reply 37 of 99
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Its probably just the dual fans kicking in.  :)
  • Reply 38 of 99
    My MacBook Pro 5,5 whines too. The noises change in response to CPU and GPU usage. When sleeping, the power supply whines as the sleep LED goes dark and quiets a bit as it lights up.
  • Reply 39 of 99
    I make a hissing sound when heavy demands are placed on me, too.
    Solipscooter63anton zuykovzimmermanneriamjhcalijlanddwatto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 99
    ibillibill Posts: 400member
    You're listening to it wrong.
    hungover