iPhone 7 owners say phones producing 'hissing' sound under heavy task loads

Comments

• Reply 41 of 99
    The article says: "There's nothing on the A10 — or anything else in the iPhone 7/7 Plus, short of the audio system — that should be capable of directly generating noise." But anything that moves can generate noise: the Taptic engine, the water-ejector system in the speakers, the vibrating ringer on the phone. The fact that earlier iPhones experienced the same issues likely means this is not a mystery in Cupertino.
  • Reply 42 of 99
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    foggyhill said:
    If people are "annoyed", then can return their phones within 14 days; or is this the usual fake "outrage" (sic) related to Apple.
    These people that would frame it as a personal slight against them are the same ones that are now upset that Apple didn't have the exact size, color, capacity, and carrier on launch day.
    jkichline
  • Reply 43 of 99
    I guess they accidentally shipped a few prototypes of the iPhone 7sssssssssss. 
    macplusplusbaconstangfastasleepkuduradarthekat
  • Reply 44 of 99
    clexman said:
    I'm sure this will be properly addresses with the iPhone 7s
    Apple is still building phones for the iPhone 7 launch, they can fix it before the remaining orders are shipped. Many orders won't even ship till November. 
    They can do it.  :D
  • Reply 45 of 99
    adamcadamc Posts: 583member
    dogolaca said:
    Don't load it that way.
    Hahahaha.  That's awesome!

"You're tasking it wrong."
    Yawn, getting very stale...
    anton zuykovpscooter63Deelronai46
  • Reply 46 of 99
    HighfrequencyhissGate? 
  • Reply 47 of 99
    "Some iPhone 7 users having hissyfits"  :D
    Soli
  • Reply 48 of 99
    For those thinking it is air escaping, explain to me how much air you think is in the case? The hissing is constant. If its air escaping, eventually all the air that can escape, will and the hiss will stop. In the reports, the hiss doesn't stop until the task is complete.
    anton zuykov
  • Reply 49 of 99
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    gatorguy said:
    eriamjh said:
    Venting prevents explosion.

Is it an electrical hiss, an acoustical (speaker) hiss, or a boiling hiss?
    Post 7 included a sound file
    Which doesn't reveal whether the sound comes from a speaker or not. If anybody can duplicate this, please put your finger(s) over the speaker holes to see if the sound changes. And press on the screen and the back while the sound is happening.

In other words, use common sense and the tools you have at hand to make an elementary investigation, fer chrissake.

Edit: The rext from 512 Pixels thar goes with the video says explicitly that the noise comes from the back of the phone and assumes it's from the CPU. A physical approach with the fingers would still be helpful, seems to me.
    edited September 2016 radarthekatpscooter63
  • Reply 50 of 99
    So.... that many hours have already passed since the news came out, and yet there is no class action lawsuit? That's odd. 
    edited September 2016 lkrupp
  • Reply 51 of 99
    The article says: "There's nothing on the A10 — or anything else in the iPhone 7/7 Plus, short of the audio system — that should be capable of directly generating noise." But anything that moves can generate noise: the Taptic engine, the water-ejector system in the speakers, the vibrating ringer on the phone. The fact that earlier iPhones experienced the same issues likely means this is not a mystery in Cupertino.
    You're thinking of the Watch, the phone doesn't eject water. 
  • Reply 52 of 99
    ajl said:
    The best iPhones ever are the S series.
    The best at an early implementation of a technology which will be more fully realized in the full numbered revision to follow. See; Siri, TouchID, 3D Touch, Taptic Engine...
  • Reply 53 of 99
    ajl said:
    The best iPhones ever are the S series.
    The best at an early implementation of a technology which will be more fully realized in the full numbered revision to follow. See; Siri, TouchID, 3D Touch, Taptic Engine...
  • Reply 54 of 99
    clexman said:
    For those thinking it is air escaping, explain to me how much air you think is in the case? The hissing is constant. If its air escaping, eventually all the air that can escape, will and the hiss will stop. In the reports, the hiss doesn't stop until the task is complete.
    How is it constant? Its UNDER LOAD. That tells you it is not constant.
  • Reply 55 of 99
    clexman said:
    Air is pulsed in an out of a very tiny hole, like a tiny speaker.
    If the variation in temp is very high and the volume of air very small, you'll get that.
    Even under load the CPU is not really active 100% of the time.

Speakers put out a lot of air and they're not moving much either.

Pressing the case should raise the frequency.
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 56 of 99
    misamisa Posts: 827member
    Tell these iPhone 7 users to first get their hearing checked.

That's definitely something power-related. Maybe a voltage regulator is poor?

See something like this 
  • Reply 57 of 99
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,630member
    I make a hissing sound when heavy demands are placed on me, too.
    My wallet is sizzling from my iPhone purchases.   Does that count?
  • Reply 58 of 99
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member
    They only got hissing? They couldn't master the crackling feature like Samsung?
    baconstangradarthekat
  • Reply 59 of 99
    misa said:
    Tell these iPhone 7 users to first get their hearing checked.

That's definitely something power-related. Maybe a voltage regulator is poor?

See something like this 
    Give me a break about you so called assessment.
    xzu
  • Reply 60 of 99
    The user and all related content has been deleted.