Apple looking into glitch causing iPhone 7 to lose service after turning off Airplane Mode

Posted:
in iPhone
Apple is reportedly investigating a problem affecting the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus that causes the devices to lose cellular access after a person turns off Airplane Mode.

As a stopgap, the company is telling authorized service providers to recommend owners reboot their iPhones, according to internal documents obtained by MacRumors. Should that fail, Apple is suggesting that people re-insert their SIM cards, though it may be willing to replace iPhones in some cases.

Complaints about the problem are growing. An AppleInsider reader noted that his AT&T-based iPhone 7 went into "no service" mode nine times on Sunday, and that the carrier's support staff said they're getting a number of similar calls. A support representative suggested that the issue may be attributable to the iPhone 7's SIM tray, which could be allowing cards to shift enough to lose contact.

Reaching out to an Apple retail source, AppleInsider was told that "most, if not all" of the ongoing problems with Airplane Mode may actually be attributable to a "slightly askew SIM."

The glitch is the second discovered with the iPhone 7. Some models are generating a hissing sound when handling processor-heavy tasks, though there don't appear to be any other negative consequences.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    Caused by missing headphone port.  :)
  • Reply 2 of 32
    Coming soon:
    Hissgate 
    Simgate

• Reply 3 of 32
    Hmm. So they're saying that Airplane Mode physically disconnects the SIM card, and then when you turn off Airplane Mode the SIM card isn't physically re-engaging properly? Or the card is precariously positioned, so it still works until Airplane Mode stops passing the current through it...?

Um, I have my doubts. 
    yoyo2222mike1doozydozenredgeminipa
  • Reply 4 of 32
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,008member
    I dont think it's related to Airplane Mode...Apple is replacing my son's iPhone 7 as he had very weak/no signal condition since receiving the phone Friday, and we tried network resets, complete phone wipe, and a new SIM from ATT. He never used Airplane Mode.

doozydozenbrian green
  • Reply 5 of 32
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    thrang said:
    ...and a new SIM from ATT. 
    I'm switching to Verizon when I get my new iPhone. AT&T has terrible signal in my area. Generally I'm very disappointed with AT&T cellular service because there are simply not enough towers or back haul capacity. My neighbors with Verizon have no issues, whereas I am constantly dropping calls and also experience really slow data speeds.
    edited September 2016 doozydozen
  • Reply 6 of 32
    Hmm. So they're saying that Airplane Mode physically disconnects the SIM card, and then when you turn off Airplane Mode the SIM card isn't physically re-engaging properly? Or the card is precariously positioned, so it still works until Airplane Mode stops passing the current through it...?

Um, I have my doubts. 
    This is a known problem, and not just with iPhone 7. I have an AT&T iPhone 5S and two weeks ago, after I ran the iOS 9.3.5 update I lost my cell service. One of the first things both the AT&T and Apple support techs asked me to do was to put the phone in airplane mode, then take it back out, as if that was the most common solution. They also had me reset network settings and remove and replace the SIM, but none of that helped. AT&T even installed a brand new SIM and that didn't help. Finally, after the Genius at the Apple store tried everything he could think of including a full wipe and restore, he determined that they would need to replace the phone. I haven't had any problems with the replacement phone so far. After I restored my backup on the replacement phone I was asked if I wanted to install the 9.3.5 update and I declined.
  • Reply 7 of 32
    I just tried this with my new 7, TMo. Went to airplane mode, let the screen lock itself. Then came back in and turn airplane mode off.
    It was able to pick up TMo just fine. I wonder if it's just a specific to AT&T.
  • Reply 8 of 32
    perkedel said:
    I just tried this with my new 7, TMo. Went to airplane mode, let the screen lock itself. Then came back in and turn airplane mode off.
    I don't think it's just AT&T. When I was trying to fix my "No Service" issue I Googled the issue and found that folks who had the same problem were on various carriers.

Also, Apple Insider just posted this article a few days ago about T-Mobile customers experiencing the same problem.
    http://appleinsider.com/articles/16/09/15/t-mobile-users-complain-about-ios-10-carrier-settings-causing-service-blackouts
  • Reply 9 of 32
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    Hissgate + Simgate = Hissy Fit
    doozydozenppartekimstevenoz
  • Reply 10 of 32
    Coming soon:
    Hissgate 
    Simgate

Hissimgate. 
    doozydozen
  • Reply 11 of 32
    Airplane mode. That explains why I can't get a signal.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 12 of 32
    Att and tmo both use the intel modem chips.  Any Verizon users have this problem?
  • Reply 13 of 32
    dcgoodcgoo Posts: 280member
    volcan said:
    I'm switching to Verizon when I get my new iPhone. AT&T has terrible signal in my area. Generally I'm very disappointed with AT&T cellular service because there are simply not enough towers or back haul capacity. My neighbors with Verizon have no issues, whereas I am constantly dropping calls and also experience really slow data speeds.
    Not if you bought an AT&T iPhone.  It will not work on Verizon, ever.

edited September 2016
  • Reply 14 of 32
    This, combined with the lightning adaptor time-out is pretty annoying. Really sounds like things have not been properly tested again.
  • Reply 15 of 32
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    dcgoo said:

Sure, that is obvious. I will be purchasing a Verizon compatible version. A1661.

I used to have Verizon before but switched to AT&T to get the original iPhone.
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 16 of 32
    larz2112 said:
    perkedel said:
    I don't think it's just AT&T. When I was trying to fix my "No Service" issue I Googled the issue and found that folks who had the same problem were on various carriers.

Also, Apple Insider just posted this article a few days ago about T-Mobile customers experiencing the same problem.
    http://appleinsider.com/articles/16/09/15/t-mobile-users-complain-about-ios-10-carrier-settings-causing-service-blackouts

Some articles were blaming iOS 10, but it was actually the T-Mobile "carrier settings" update v25.1 that caused the issue.  I deferred the carrier settings update with my iPhone 6 (which was already on iOS 10), so I never experienced the issue, unlike others who upgraded to iOS 10 and also allowed the carrier settings update.  Apple/T-Mobile then deployed version 25.2 to fix the issue. 
    doozydozen
  • Reply 17 of 32
    I'm having the same problem with my Verizon iPhone 7 Plus -- driving home along the Philly to NYC stretch of the NJTP yesterday, it went into "No Service" about a half dozen times, and these outages could last up to 10 minutes, or sometimes "flickered" between service and no service until it locked back on signal again. Since I have yet to use airplane mode, the "loose SIM tray" issue sounds like a good possibility. 
  • Reply 18 of 32
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,008member
    I will say it took very little effort to remove the 7 sim tray, and considerably more effort to open the 6s tray...
    doozydozen
  • Reply 19 of 32
    dcgoo said:
    volcan said:

Really? That's funny because I switched my girlfriends AT&T iPhone to my Verizon plan and it works just fine. Had to get it unlocked first but it does work. 
  • Reply 20 of 32
    dcgoo said:
    volcan said:

Really? That's funny because I switched my girlfriends AT&T iPhone to my Verizon plan and it works just fine. Had to get it unlocked first but it does work. 
    Was that a iPhone 7 if not then it will work but with the iPhone 7 ATT and Tmobil won't work with Verizon?