Samsung Note 7 battery fire woes triggered by rush to beat Apple's iPhone 7 - report

Comments

• Reply 41 of 68
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    volcan said:
    The thing that worries me as a frequent flyer is the likelihood that Note 7 owners will completely disregard the airline's request to not turn on or charge the phone while onboard.
    That's specific to human nature. If this was the iPhone you'd still have people thinking it won't happen to them... and then complaining about how bad things always happen to them.

At least with a smartphone, people are very likely to keep it close by, if not on their person. And checked baggage has become too costly for many, which helps.
    big
  • Reply 42 of 68
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    arlomedia said:

I think at least once they said "Galaxy 7" instead of "Note 7," which is a simple example of how badly an issue like this can damage a brand.
    American Airlines and Delta flights have been instructing all Samsung phone users to power down, and not use their devices in flight. All Samsung phones not just Note 7. Also they are not allowed to be in checked luggage, but will Samsung people abide by that rule. Not likely. Defiant, just like the people who refuse to put away their device during takeoff and landing.
    edited September 2016 big
  • Reply 43 of 68
    At this stage of the smartphone market, slow and steady wins the race. Apple is taking the right approach here. By making gradual improvements each year customers not only maintain their investment in the platform, but mitigate the risks of what happened with the Galaxy Note 7. While the press may be disappointed that these incremental improvements are not 'revolutionary' iPhone users can rest assured that they will continue to see further improvements and that their devices will (hopefully) not cause them any physical harm. On the whole, this is a PR disaster for Samsung at a time when the growth of the smartphone market is slowing due to maturity and saturation.

baconstangbig
  • Reply 44 of 68
    redraider11 had replied:

"I agree for the most part, but I would say the 64-bit processor Apple put in the 5s was pretty revolutionary as well. It only took Apple less than a decade to incorporate 64-bit architecture into a cell phone whereas the PC market is is struggling to go all 64-bit even to this day. I'm siting at work right now with a Dell laptop that was issued in 2013 with 32-bit Windows 7."

I'd add that the 5s was maybe the closest to revolutionary with the intro of not only 64 bit processing, but the first with a fully functional Touch ID.  Having a secured phone went from a small minority to a vast majority.  Having an easy, secure method for 3rd party apps also improved banking and purchasing and paved the way for Apple Pay.
    bigwatto_cobra
  • Reply 45 of 68
    If the fault lies with Samsung's design (putting a 3500mah into a 3000mah enclosure) and not the manufacturer's fault then why are they switching battery manufacturers?  Or is that just a publicity stunt?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 46 of 68
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    That's the thing about Apple, it works on its own timeline and doesn't rush just to beat another product. If something isn't ready, they pull it out. 
    Solibigwatto_cobra
  • Reply 47 of 68
    safi said:
    People who bought samsung got what they deserved! I hope more galaxy's blow up and blacken their faces!
    What a disgusting post! You should be ashamed.
    gatorguybig
  • Reply 48 of 68
    jungmark said:
    That's the thing about Apple, it works on its own timeline and doesn't rush just to beat another product. If something isn't ready, they pull it out. 
    Samsung: We never pull out and never use protection.
    auxiobigwatto_cobraarlomedia
  • Reply 49 of 68
    edited September 2016 bignolamacguywatto_cobra
  • Reply 50 of 68
    macxpress said:
    sog35 said:
    berndog said:
    The iPhone 7 is generally considered an evolutionary advancement like the iPhone 6s, above all featuring a better processor, water resistance, and new camera technology, including a dual-lens camera on the 7 Plus. Apple is thought to be saving a major redesign for next year's model, which could have an edge-to-edge OLED display with an embedded "virtual button."

And a bigger battery that works
    The iPhone 7 is evolutionary as far as form factor but not features.

They added a ton of features on the 7:

1. Water Proof
    2. Awesome camera
    3. Crazy fast CPU, GPU
    4. Solid state home button (this is a HUGE plus for anyone who has experience a broken home button)
    5. Major display improvements (brighter, wider color gamut, super accurate color)
    6. Significantly better battery life
    7. Stereo sound, much louder speakers

Those are massive improvements.

What were the REVOLUTIONARY features in the iPhone6 from the iPhone 5S?  Just a bigger screen. How is that revolutionary?

I think we sometimes forget what the word revolutionary means. To me, the only real revolutionary iPhone was the original one. It did something nothing else had done in a complete package. Sure, it didn't work the best, only supported 1 carrier, didn't have apps, etc, but it was a damn fine piece of technology for its time. It was a touchscreen phone which was unheard of in 2007 with multi-touch which was totally and completely awesome again, for 2007 with this new mobile OS that was built from the ground up to support touch. Nobody had ever seen anything like this before on a mobile phone for consumers and it sent manufacturers scrambling to come up with something similar, even as they brushed the iPhone off as something that will never take off. This is what revolutionary means in my opinion. The rest of the iPhones, were simply upgrades to last years phone as the technology advanced. Nothing really stuck out as simply amazing with the rest of the iPhones. Better processors, bigger screens, etc are NOT revolutionary.
    I beg to differ. The SoC is revolutionary. The A7 was the first 64 bit mobile processor. 

TSMC has CPU manufacturing processes dedicated solely for building the A10 fusion, processes no other manufacturer has access to. 

The A10 performs on par with the previous generation of low power Core i7. The CPU is revolutionary. Perhaps you would like to go back to the original Samsng built ARM 11 CPU? 

How does that change people's lives? People don't care what CPU is in a device. 
  • Reply 51 of 68
    macxpress said:
    macxpress said:
    sog35 said:
    berndog said:
    The iPhone 7 is generally considered an evolutionary advancement like the iPhone 6s, above all featuring a better processor, water resistance, and new camera technology, including a dual-lens camera on the 7 Plus. Apple is thought to be saving a major redesign for next year's model, which could have an edge-to-edge OLED display with an embedded "virtual button."

1. Water Proof
    2. Awesome camera
    3. Crazy fast CPU, GPU
    4. Solid state home button (this is a HUGE plus for anyone who has experience a broken home button)
    5. Major display improvements (brighter, wider color gamut, super accurate color)

What were the REVOLUTIONARY features in the iPhone6 from the iPhone 5S?  Just a bigger screen. How is that revolutionary?

I think we sometimes forget what the word revolutionary means. To me, the only real revolutionary iPhone was the original one. It did something nothing else had done in a complete package. Sure, it didn't work the best, only supported 1 carrier, didn't have apps, etc, but it was a damn fine piece of technology for its time. It was a touchscreen phone which was unheard of in 2007 with multi-touch which was totally and completely awesome again, for 2007 with this new mobile OS that was built from the ground up to support touch. Nobody had ever seen anything like this before on a mobile phone for consumers and it sent manufacturers scrambling to come up with something similar, even as they brushed the iPhone off as something that will never take off. This is what revolutionary means in my opinion. The rest of the iPhones, were simply upgrades to last years phone as the technology advanced. Nothing really stuck out as simply amazing with the rest of the iPhones. Better processors, bigger screens, etc are NOT revolutionary.
    I beg to differ. The SoC is revolutionary. The A7 was the first 64 bit mobile processor. 

TSMC has CPU manufacturing processes dedicated solely for building the A10 fusion, processes no other manufacturer has access to. 

The A10 performs on par with the previous generation of low power Core i7. The CPU is revolutionary. Perhaps you would like to go back to the original Samsng built ARM 11 CPU? 
    1) How has the CPU changed people's lives? Really?!

2) What do people actively caring about something have to do with it being "a dramatic and wide-reaching change in the way something works"?
  • Reply 52 of 68
    rob53 said:
    Why does everyone keep demanding something entirely different every year? What's wrong with simply delivering something that just works? People don't realize how difficult (and unnecessary) a total re-design is. Changing a design to meet the frivolous demands of customers and (especially) crazy analysts does not produce a better product only a different looking one.
    I want something entirely new, that is crazy better and just works.
    Pick two.
    Solibaconstang
  • Reply 53 of 68
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member

I don't get how this is supposed to be "Apple's fault". I haven't read the Bloomberg article, and probably won't for a number of reasons, but on the face of it, this just reflects badly on Samsung. Leaving aside whether the iPhone 7 was "uninspiring" (hint: it wasn't), attempting to rush out a product to take advantage of it is entirely on Samsung, and has nothing to do with Apple.

Besides, they would have been better served by keeping to their original schedule and reacting to what Apple had actually done, rather than what it was rumoured they were going to do. And maybe then they wouldn't have created a manufacturing problem that's now biting them in their nether regions.

biggilly017watto_cobra
  • Reply 54 of 68
    anome said:

I don't get how this is supposed to be "Apple's fault". I haven't read the Bloomberg article, and probably won't for a number of reasons, but on the face of it, this just reflects badly on Samsung. Leaving aside whether the iPhone 7 was "uninspiring" (hint: it wasn't), attempting to rush out a product to take advantage of it is entirely on Samsung, and has nothing to do with Apple.

Besides, they would have been better served by keeping to their original schedule and reacting to what Apple had actually done, rather than what it was rumoured they were going to do. And maybe then they wouldn't have created a manufacturing problem that's now biting them in their nether regions.

Bottom line is that people are more likely to read a story if Apple is mentioned.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 55 of 68
    Soli said:
    macxpress said:
    macxpress said:
    sog35 said:
    berndog said:

1. Water Proof
    2. Awesome camera
    3. Crazy fast CPU, GPU

1) How has the CPU changed people's lives? Really?!

2) What do people actively caring about something have to do with it being "a dramatic and wide-reaching change in the way something works"?
    Uhhhhh what?
  • Reply 56 of 68
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    Soli said:
    anome said:

Bottom line is that people are more likely to read a story if Apple is mentioned.

That's obvious, my point was just about trying to spin it into being Apple's fault, or at least on this message board, trying to spin the story into an attempt to spin the problem as Apple's fault. The fact Samsung was reacting to an unreleased Apple product is not irrelevant - in fact that's become the norm. I think it's totally acceptable for Samsung to say "We tried to beat Apple to the punch, and that's where the problem came from" without it being seen as putting the blame on Apple.
    bigwatto_cobra
  • Reply 57 of 68
    sog35 said:
    Oh so its Apple's fault. LOL
    Of course it is!! Samsuck tried to out-Apple Apple and they (well, their customers) got burned!!! 

♨️
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 58 of 68
    rob53 said:
    Why does everyone keep demanding something entirely different every year? What's wrong with simply delivering something that just works? People don't realize how difficult (and unnecessary) a total re-design is. Changing a design to meet the frivolous demands of customers and (especially) crazy analysts does not produce a better product only a different looking one.
    I wholeheartedly agree! It's the age-old adage that you gotta learn to walk before you can run. Apple makes mistakes too - but I haven't heard of any that are seriously life or property threatening. (I heard of one where a fellow was burned - but this was immediately preceded by a bad bicycle crash.)

What's the point of frivously redesigning something and causing casualties and property loss?

It's bewildering to hear people complain that Apple doesn't innovate fast enough. I prefer that Apple keeps doing what it's doing and providing refined devices with increased capabilities with each iteration.

Samsuck has damaged their brand and their reputation - it's gonna be interesting to see where they're at in a few weeks!!!
    baconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 59 of 68
    macxpress said:
    sog35 said:
    berndog said:

1. Water Proof
    2. Awesome camera
    3. Crazy fast CPU, GPU

I want to add a word to that: "disruptive". In 2007, Apple's iPhone disrupted the smartphone world and turned it on its head!
    baconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 60 of 68
    seankill said:
    sog35 said:
    berndog said:

1. Water Proof
    2. Awesome camera
    3. Crazy fast CPU, GPU

I think I only had issues with my iPhone 5 home button. All the others worked great. The solid home button will definitely take some getting used to but I agree it is a positive step.
    I agree: several years back, I believe Blackberry launched a touchscreen based phone that was supposed to be an iPhone killer. I think it was named Blackberry Storm (but I can't be bothered to look it up - they're irrelevant). Anyway, one of the key selling points was a screen that clicked when you pressed it. Well, guess what? That screen was a total joke that jammed or broke when the debris common to everyone's pockets got trapped in the mechanism!!!

I figure the elimination of a mechanically operated button is the elimination of a potential point of failure and also helps with waterproofing. Sounds good to me!!!
    watto_cobra