Apple's iOS 10 on one-third of compatible devices after 6 days, report says

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2016
After only six days of availability, Apple's latest mobile operating system iteration, iOS 10, is already on one-third of Apple devices tracked by analytics firm Mixpanel.

While Apple has yet to announce official adoption numbers, Mixpanel shows iOS 10 tracking at 33.64 percent of Apple devices, up from an initial figure of 14 percent measured 24 hours after last week's launch.

As expected, iOS 10's uptick comes at the cost of iOS 9 share, with 61.5 percent of devices still running Apple's last-generation operating system as of Sunday. Those running OS versions older than iOS 9 are also upgrading, as the number of tracked legacy users fell from 5.42 percent last week to 4.86 percent.

Though impressive, iOS 10 adoption is slower than last year's record-breaking conversion rates. In 2015, Apple saw iOS 9 installed on more than 50 percent of all compatible iPhones, iPads and iPod touch units in only four days.

Apple's iOS 10 debuted last week with user interface enhancements and feature additions to Messages, Maps, Siri, Photos, Apple Music, News, and more. The free update is available now through the Software Update function in the iOS Settings app.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    I have it on all of my devices now, and I like iOS 10. There are a lot of good, new features.

I did disable some of the new features, like the extra press required when unlocking the phone. I prefer no extra press.

Another thing that I noticed, but I haven't really seen anybody else talking about are the new sounds. I'm not sure what I think about them yet.

I noticed right away that my keyboard makes different typing sounds now, and it seems like different tones are assigned to specific keys, like the spacebar. Is that for blind people or something? The typing sounds are more dull sounding than before. It would be cool if you could swap out the sounds, and choose your own type of typing sounds.

I also like how the notifications are now.
    lostkiwichiawatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 2 of 27
    And it is a buggy release yet again. Picked up my iPhone 7Plus and search feature in messages does not search for old messages. The new messages are searchable the remainder you have to manually scroll thru. Tried my wife's 7Plus and it does the same thing. My kids iPhone 7 however does not have the problem. 
  • Reply 3 of 27
    I am really happy with iOS 10 so far. The only thing that keeps tripping me up every single time I use it is the unlock screen. Since I have developed an automatic, near involuntary swipe to the right as soon as I click on the home button, I'm really struggling to change that simple behavior to two taps on the home button instead. Hard to change an action you've performed literally thousands and thousands of times without even thinking about it.
    magman1979lostkiwiRayz2016
  • Reply 4 of 27
    epelba01 said:
    And it is a buggy release yet again.
    I wouldn't exactly agree with that.

Any major OS update will have numerous bugs. Luckily, the one that you describe is very minor, and will probably be fixed soon enough.

nolamacguyperkedelwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 5 of 27
    apple ][ said:
    epelba01 said:

Any major OS update will have numerous bugs. Luckily, the one that you describe is very minor, and will probably be fixed soon enough.

Seems like the most solid major release in years.  I'm very happily surprised with how smooth it has been.
    magman1979lostkiwinolamacguytomkarlbonobobwatto_cobraargonaut
  • Reply 6 of 27
    apple ][ said:
    epelba01 said:

If that's the case why are only 7Plus affected?  
    jony0
  • Reply 7 of 27
    epelba01 said:
    apple ][ said:
    epelba01 said:

If that's the case why are only 7Plus affected?  
    I'm not an Apple engineer. I have no idea. :#

If the most serious bug in this release is an extremely minor message search bug, that only affects a certain model, then this release has been awesome!
    cintosbonobobjony0
  • Reply 8 of 27
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member
    apple ][ said:
    I noticed right away that my keyboard makes different typing sounds now, and it seems like different tones are assigned to specific keys, like the spacebar. Is that for blind people or something? The typing sounds are more dull sounding than before. It would be cool if you could swap out the sounds, and choose your own type of typing sounds.
    Typing sounds are the first thing I turn off when I set up a new iOS device.  I did notice the new typing sounds briefly before my settings were restored -- seems like they're trying to use different tones to distinguish different keypresses in situations where you can't see what you're typing (or visually impaired, as you say).  Seems like a good idea for those who need it.
    jony0
  • Reply 9 of 27
    SO far really like iOS10. Have had a bit of trouble with bluetooth dropping connections. Both to my first generation watch and when trying to use for opening real estate lock boxes. Fix seems to be to reboot. Kind of a pain as reboot is not very quick.
  • Reply 10 of 27
    I'm seeing a decrease in battery life on both my 5s and my watch.  Another person I know, that has either the 6+/6S+, noticed an decrease in battery life as well.

Anyone else notice this as well?
    jkichlinemaciekskontakt
  • Reply 11 of 27
    Could anyone offer feedback on the 'traffic' function in Maps on iOS 10?
    It's the primary reason I use Maps (when winding my way to/from Dogpatch).
    It's been kind of hit or miss with iOS 9 on my 5s.
  • Reply 12 of 27
    jdgaz said:
    SO far really like iOS10. Have had a bit of trouble with bluetooth dropping connections. Both to my first generation watch and when trying to use for opening real estate lock boxes. Fix seems to be to reboot. Kind of a pain as reboot is not very quick.
    Try Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings. This will remove pairings to your devices and forget network passwords, but it may clear up the problem.
  • Reply 13 of 27
    lundkeman said:
    I'm seeing a decrease in battery life on both my 5s and my watch.  Another person I know, that has either the 6+/6S+, noticed an decrease in battery life as well.

Yep. I used to get more than a day on my 6 Plus, now I get about half a day or so.
  • Reply 14 of 27
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,279member
    apple ][ said:
    I have it on all of my devices now, and I like iOS 10. There are a lot of good, new features.

I did disable some of the new features, like the extra press required when unlocking the phone. I prefer no extra press.

Another thing that I noticed, but I haven't really seen anybody else talking about are the new sounds. I'm not sure what I think about them yet.

I'm not liking the multi-tone keyboard at all. Should at least be an option. It's the reason I've only updated my phone so far, not my iPad Pro. As I type this on the iPad, I realize how much better this is. Oh well.
  • Reply 15 of 27
    mike1 said:
    I'm not liking the multi-tone keyboard at all. Should at least be an option. It's the reason I've only updated my phone so far, not my iPad Pro. As I type this on the iPad, I realize how much better this is. Oh well.
    I agree that it should be an option.

If the multi-toned keyboard is for the visually impaired, then why not have that under accessibility options, where such things belong?
  • Reply 16 of 27
    mike1 said:
    apple ][ said:

i really like the new keyboard sounds. the different tones are keys like space, delete, etc. it's audio cue that you've tapped those targets.
    watto_cobraargonaut
  • Reply 17 of 27
    Yes, but I am missing swipe to unlock. I will never use my fingerprint as I break them quite a lot with some sports activity and work. I wish there was option to keep swipe.
  • Reply 18 of 27
    BTW can I purchase only one EarPod? What if one loses only one? Do thy sound at least near Sennheiser quality or still suck like wired once before?
  • Reply 19 of 27
    jkichline said:
    lundkeman said:

Yep. I used to get more than a day on my 6 Plus, now I get about half a day or so.
    In the first few days there are almost always a decrease; background updates, indexing, syncing, etc.
    People also have a tendency to use their phones more after and update (like playing with a toy).
    Check to see if some parameters have been reset.
    Also, check which apps are using the battery.
    Some Apps background settings may also have been reset.
    edited September 2016 baconstangbonobobnetmageargonaut
  • Reply 20 of 27
    BTW can I purchase only one EarPod? What if one loses only one? Do thy sound at least near Sennheiser quality or still suck like wired once before?

1. I assume you mean AirPods? No, you cannot purchase only one. You can purchase one pair though and use them one at a time. Which should address your concern of losing one.

2. You can buy the pair and use only one. You could buy a third-party band to keep the 2 wired together so you don't lose them. Or you could be a little careful with something you spent $165 on.

3. You can read some of the reviews online, or wait till October when the AirPods are available. You'd get a ton of reviews and I'm sure you should be able to test them out before you buy them.

netmage