Apple opens trade-up program to iPhone SE, 6s & 6s Plus with $315 maximum

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2016
Prospective iPhone 7 buyers looking to make money off their old iPhones can now turn in an iPhone SE, 6s, or 6s Plus as a part of Apple's trade-up program, though the store credit given may still be significantly lower than what's offered by some third parties.

Apple is offering up to $160 for an SE, $275 for a 6s, or $315 for a 6s Plus. The credit can be applied to any new iPhone, whether bought outright or through carrier financing. The exact amount depends on the condition of the phone.

The company has meanwhile lowered the money it's offering for older iPhones. The iPhone 6 and 6 Plus are valued at $200 and $225 -- both $25 less -- while the iPhone 5s has dropped from $125 to $90. The iPhone 5 and 5c top out at $50 and $40, and the company is halting iPhone 4s trade-ins entirely.

Trade-ins can be conducted by in-person at an Apple store, or using an online process through which people mail in their iPhone and get a gift card in return. The company is also accepting third-party smartphones, which can be valued anywhere from $20 to $315.

Before going with Apple, though, shoppers should consult AppleInsider's trade-in guide. Services like Amazon and Gazelle frequently offer more money, especially for higher-capacity unlocked models. Amazon, for instance, is offering up to $329 in credit for a 128-gigabyte iPhone 6s, more than Apple is willing to provide for a 6s Plus.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    taddtadd Posts: 136member
    There may be an error in the third paragraph.  It says "The iPhone 6 and 6s Plus are valued at $200 and $225 -- both $25 less"    I think you mean "The iPhone 6 and 6 Plus are valued at $200 and $225 -- both $25 less"
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 2 of 13
    umm. I think I'll keep my phone (6) until they make a new one with a proper headphone jack (iphone se 2 please!) Please no hate, just my (very strong) personal preference. I dislike adapters, and I love, love being able to plug in my car+ work headphones + workout headphones + home stereo 1 + home stereo 2 + etc into my phone and have it work instantly. Its an awesome setup and I won't give it up for something that for my purposes is inferior.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    umm. I think I'll keep my phone (6) until they make a new one with a proper headphone jack (iphone se 2 please!) Please no hate, just my (very strong) personal preference. I dislike adapters, and I love, love being able to plug in my car+ work headphones + workout headphones + home stereo 1 + home stereo 2 + etc into my phone and have it work instantly. Its an awesome setup and I won't give it up for something that for my purposes is inferior.

Apple has moved on --they will never make another iPhone with with the old headphone jack.  Likely, the competitors will follow Apple's lead within the next two years.

So, enjoy your classic connector while you can!

nolamacguyai46
  • Reply 4 of 13
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member

Fair enough, but Apple is done with the headphone jack. You'll have to find a different phone or stick with what you have. 
    mwhiteai46
  • Reply 5 of 13
    if you ever want another iphone, an adapter is in your future for that use case. 
    mwhiteai46albegarc
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Sell on eBay for twice as much money. Apple's prices are ridiculous.
    mwhitealbegarc
  • Reply 7 of 13
    There will be no more iPhones with a standard headphone jack and I'm sure most Android manufacturers will follow Apple's lead very shortly. 95% of all flagship smartphones will lose the 3.5mm headphone jack and use that space for other internal components. This is 2016 and horses are being replaced by automobiles.
    albegarc
  • Reply 8 of 13
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    sog35 said:
    So Apple will only give me $225 for my iPhone 6+ which was $850...........

pretty skimpy
    Take the T-Mo deal...
  • Reply 9 of 13
    Both ATT and Verizon are offering excellent trade-in deals*: turn in your 6 or 6s for a 7 (32GB is a free exchange, but 128GB will require you to pay $100 extra, which is still a good deal). Essentially, they've matched T-Mobile on this, trying to stop the bleeding. 

I think it's on only till the end of Sept.

*Although, I've had a major delivery glitch with my son's 7 from ATT, but that's another story...
  • Reply 10 of 13
    Apple would have given me $275 for my 128GB T-Mo iPhone 6, but Gazelle only offered $230. Good thing I sold mine online for $425!
  • Reply 11 of 13
    gatorguy said:
    sog35 said:
    So Apple will only give me $225 for my iPhone 6+ which was $850...........

pretty skimpy
    Take the T-Mo deal...
    Of course, they're trying to re-sell these. This is why you don't do this and go onto eBay and sell it to someone who isn't buying just to re-sell. I got $425 for mine on an iOS app called Mercari.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    I sold some 5c's to Apple for $200 a piece a week before the SE launched, but now the SE is worth $160, even though it's still currently for sale?  Sometimes their pricing makes no sense...