Apple releases second GM of macOS Sierra days before official launch

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 37
    The term 'Golden Master' seems to be being misused.
    There are no CDs being pressed for this any more, so yeah, maybe a new term is a good idea. But... Most companies (especially game publishers) are releasing beta software as "final release". Hell, we can now pay for the privilege of playing alpha-state games. Seems to me that pretty soon there won't even BE these distinguishing terms if the marketing people and shareholders in the industry have their way. We will all just be paying a monthly fee to a company for the privilege of running software that might do something, but might not...
    edited September 2016 h2p
  • Reply 22 of 37
    WHERE do you see the Build number AFTER install?

In About This Mac, I only see

macOS Sierra
    Version 10.12

• Reply 23 of 37
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member

macOS Sierra
    Version 10.12

Click on "Verizon 10.12."
  • Reply 24 of 37
    dr. xdr. x Posts: 282member

macOS Sierra
    Version 10.12

You click Version 10.12 and the build number appears next to it. I just updated to v A323 from A320. I redownloaded the installer from the purchased tab of the Mac App Store and installed it that way.

Those that are saying it bricked their machines, I installed the update with no issues.
  • Reply 25 of 37
    Ahh
    Now I see

Smooth Upgrade by Re-downloading macOS Sierra,
    from the Purchased Tab

JanNL
  • Reply 26 of 37
    The term Golden Master is actually the correct one and Roger has actually gotten it wrong. See:

http://web.archive.org/web/19990505035850/http://developer.apple.com/technotes/tn/tn1132.html

Apple has always said Golden Master for a public final software build. The term Gold Master is about a physical disc that's sent to the record, CD or DVD factory for replication. Anyone that says GM stands for Gold Master in relation to releases of Apple software is inaccurate.
  • Reply 27 of 37
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Mcnaugha2 said:
    The term Golden Master is actually the correct one and Roger has actually gotten it wrong. See:

http://web.archive.org/web/19990505035850/http://developer.apple.com/technotes/tn/tn1132.html

Apple has always said Golden Master for a public final software build. The term Gold Master is about a physical disc that's sent to the record, CD or DVD factory for replication. Anyone that says GM stands for Gold Master in relation to releases of Apple software is inaccurate.
    My assumption wasn't that he was questioning Gold Master v Golden Master, but that we have now had 3 so-called GMs in the past week.
    Mcnaugha2
  • Reply 28 of 37
    Soli said:
    My assumption wasn't that he was questioning Gold Master v Golden Master, but that we have now had 3 so-called GMs in the past week.
    Ah, I think you're right. Sorry. Just been having geeky fire fights about this for years.   :D
  • Reply 29 of 37
    Mcnaugha2 said:

Nop this is still a beta. It's built in debug mode with all the logging still turned on. Once it's a release build then it could potentially be a final build and called a GM. Apple are now using GM for betas which most devs would consider erroneous.
  • Reply 30 of 37
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Soli said:
    I'm willing to try but IMHO they should have changed the date and maybe they will.  It could be it isn't available yet in SW Florida, without a date change I can't be sure.
    1) As B-Mc-C noted, that date is your first download of the GM, not when it was released, as noted by being on your Purchased tab. Again, seems like an issue with what the Mac App Store can use for a version number, and since they're all 10.12.0, they all show up as the same.

2) When in down go to  » About this Mac to check the build number. It should be 16A323 with this new update.

PS: Let's keep in mind these are beta releases when talking about what a software developer should do. We all agreed to risks when decided to use our primary machines with beta releases.
    Thanks for the comments.  I am aware of the various version numbers, in fact that's my gripe, they are not shown on the download.  That all said, it would make more sense if Developer versions like this were downloaded from the Developer site and never through the consumer app store IMHO.  This situation is doubly confusing when we are told to click to retrieve a code only to be told we have already used it, then on the consumer app store no version number is shown.  

Signing up for a developer version is of course risky and I and I am sure all others, go to great lengths to make sure we have multiple back ups or only use on dedicated Macs.  This isn't really anything to do with that it is simply confusion where none need exist.  The simplest fix would be to show build numbers on the download page if they must use the consumer download page of the app store.

Developer info

Consumer download page

• Reply 31 of 37

irnchriz said:
    2 macs both on the GM. Update to newest release. Disaster. Had to restore from backup. 
    I find that very hard to believe ...  I'll know in 20 minutes if you are a one off or not.

EDIT a while later: Now up and running now with 16A323 no problems my end on new Mac Pro.  You must have some other issue going on ... but on two Macs?  Very odd.  I've three more Macs about to update.  I'll report back.
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 32 of 37

macOS Sierra
    Version 10.12

If you have to ask then how the heck are you a developer?
    tallest skil
  • Reply 33 of 37

Soli said:
    Mcnaugha2 said:

Correct.  By the way Mcnaugha2, I used to own a record company so I am familiar with the origins of the term.  I still have a set of silver press plates from an LP in my cupboard! Believe me you didn't send for a pressing with a GM unless you were 100% sure it was the GM.  There was no such thing as GM version 3!
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 34 of 37
    thebaz said:
    ireland said:
    How do you get it?

I tried but code by clicking the link and it didn't populate and second time I tried code it said code used. Hot corners is broken for me.
    Have a look at the post by Soli; you should have to click on the download button in the Purchased items list; the re-downloaded version is the always the latest one...
    Sounds logical, if confusing, but then why does my download version show only a GM dated September 8th not September 15th?
    The date on Purchased list is confusing, you are right... But the Information related to the file in the Finder (when the installer has been downloaded) reports that this is clearly a new release...
  • Reply 35 of 37
    I've been on the public beta for two months now. I'm stuck on version 10.12 Beta (16A313a). Any idea how in hell I can tell iTunes to update me to the latest build? 
    Answered my own question. Apparently, you don't get automatic updates. One has to REQUEST the GM build... quite stupid in my opinion. If one is testing, one should get auto updates to ALL the builds, right? Of course, not. This is APPLE we're dealing with! Anyway, to get the "special" redeem code, you must go here to request it: https://beta.apple.com/sp/betaprogram/redemption#macos
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 36 of 37
    Soli said:
    There seems to be some wonkiness with the 2nd GM. The included redeem code doesn't seem to work, but their developers forum indicates that if you go into Purchases and re-download, it will be the most recent beta, even though the date shows last week.
    Thanks for the heads up. As did others, I tried the code but the re-purchase seems to be working though I don't see where the "builld number" can be verified. 
  • Reply 37 of 37
    Ahh
    Now I see

Smooth Upgrade by Re-downloading macOS Sierra,
    from the Purchased Tab

Not for me.  I had 16A320 installed on my MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014).  When I re-downloaded macOS Sierra from the Purchased tab and installed, I ended up with 16A312a, an earlier version.  I did this at 10:30 am EDT on 9/20/16.