South Korean analysts expect 100 million iPhone 7 orders fulfilled by end of 2016

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 39
    Damn. Orders to supply components for 80 million iPhones, possibly 100 million. For fucks sake, this flies in the face of everyone spelling doom for Apple from removing the headphone jack, being boring, no innovation, etc.

It's not an objective perspective issue. Yeah, Galileo had an opposing view of our solar system when 99% of everyone were convinced earth was the center of the universe, let alone the solar system. But Galileo had objective proofs and numbers and math and testable observations and logic and reasoning. You can't claim that the 100 million people buying the phone are somehow brainwashed and you're the sane 1% and justify it with debunkable arguments. "Innovative features" - that nobody uses, don't improve anything. "Quad core processor" - it's still slower. "4GB RAM"- still slower. "4K display" - not necessary on a phone and 4K content is way less than 50% of all content. "AMOLED Screens" - they are awesome and better, but not enough to compromise needing to put octa-core processors and 8GB RAM and much thicker battery JUST to not move backwards in performance and speed and thickness etc. The trade off is not viable yet. Too much sacrifice; it's not like it's a jump from black and white screens to AMOLED. Too much sacrifice for too little gain. Wait till a better version of AMOLED is mature with no drawbacks. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 39
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:
    Apple was certainly handed a gift by Samsung. A much more valuable one too than the half-$B patent damages award Sammy paid them end of last year. Who needs lawsuits when Samsung is so good at shooting themselves in the foot?
    Nonsense. There is no evidence of that. Period. (Don't bother linking to some analyst speculation or Bloomberg stories, etc.). 
    A link for you? Sorry, no links for you.  Who needs links when it's common sense.

There's going to be a number of smartphone buyers who will no longer consider the Note7, some instead going with Apple and some going with a different Android device. Either way Apple's biggest smartphone competitor is harmed much more than by a few $100M in patent damages. You're not thinking IMO. Sammy shot themselves in the foot big-time IMHO.  With it all over the news lately there's long-term harm, far beyond the Note 7 battery incidents themselves. 
    Self-defined "common sense" is just that: self-defined.

In any event, it is a silly counterfactual that can't be proved one way or the other. It looks like your daily meme of "let me see what I can do today casually and deftly minimize Apple's achievements...".
    What the heck are you complaining about now? I diss Sammy and NOT Apple, write that there's real damage in both lost sales and reputation to Apple's biggest competitor which is far more impactful than a measly half$B in patent damages and you want to make believe you disagree? ROTFL.

Whatever. Keep going and eventually you'll actually find something factually disagreeable in something I write.

In fact if it's so important for you to find something why not go back and respond to a couple of questions you've ignored over here: http://forums.appleinsider.com/discussion/194993/us-treasury-guidance-could-stop-apple-from-recouping-irish-taxes-at-home/p3
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 23 of 39
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,340member
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:
    Apple was certainly handed a gift by Samsung. A much more valuable one too than the half-$B patent damages award Sammy paid them end of last year. Who needs lawsuits when Samsung is so good at shooting themselves in the foot?
    Nonsense. There is no evidence of that. Period. (Don't bother linking to some analyst speculation or Bloomberg stories, etc.). 
    A link for you? Sorry, no links for you.  Who needs links when it's common sense.

There's going to be a number of smartphone buyers who will no longer consider the Note7, some instead going with Apple and some going with a different Android device. Either way Apple's biggest smartphone competitor is harmed much more than by a few $100M in patent damages. You're not thinking IMO. Sammy shot themselves in the foot big-time IMHO.  With it all over the news lately there's long-term harm, far beyond the Note 7 battery incidents themselves. 

In any event, it is a silly counterfactual that can't be proved one way or the other. It looks like your daily meme of "let me see what I can do today casually and deftly minimize Apple's achievements...".
    What the heck are you complaining about now? I diss Sammy and NOT Apple, write that there's real damage in both lost sales and reputation to Apple's biggest competitor and you want to make believe you disagree? ROTFL.

Whatever. Keep going and eventually you'll actually find something factually disagreeable in something I write. In the meantime. . . 
    Actually, I think that this is closer to the actual case;

https://mondaynote.com/iphone-nonsensus-apples-debt-to-bloogers-cb879589f55e#.cllx5o7cb

Months of blogger bullshit dampened expectations of the iPhone 7; bloggers wrong, but garnered page hits.

The Samsung Note 7 debacle is a minor player in the iPhone 7 upsurge. One could make a solid argument that the Jet Black is a bigger factor than the Note 7 debacle.

Just for the record:

I'd probably consider your POV on the iPhone 7 more so if you were actually a user in Apple's wide ecosystem, but alas, you aren't.

Your's is certainly a valid outsiders pov.

williamlondon
  • Reply 24 of 39
    tmay said:
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:

What the heck are you complaining about now? I diss Sammy and NOT Apple, write that there's real damage in both lost sales and reputation to Apple's biggest competitor and you want to make believe you disagree? ROTFL.

Whatever. Keep going and eventually you'll actually find something factually disagreeable in something I write. In the meantime. . . 

https://mondaynote.com/iphone-nonsensus-apples-debt-to-bloogers-cb879589f55e#.cllx5o7cb

Months of blogger bullshit dampened expectations of the iPhone 7; bloggers wrong, but garnered page hits.

The Samsung Note 7 debacle is a minor player in the iPhone 7 upsurge. One could make a solid argument that the Jet Black is a bigger factor than the Note 7 debacle.

Just for the record:

I'd probably consider your POV on the iPhone 7 more so if you were actually a user in Apple's wide ecosystem, but alas, you aren't.

Well of course it's a relatively minor influence as things go on overall iPhone sales. I never said it wasn't. There's several potential beneficiaries of Samsung's poor choices, Apple being just one of them. What should be of no dispute is Samsung being the sole loser.  So actually you and I agree more than you're willing to admit IMHO. Go back and read my first post (or really any one of them in this thread) and tell me specifically what you disagree with in it. I'd wager nothing at all (which wouldn't be the first time).

You and Anant are taking issue with something you'd like to imagine I claimed as my opinion. To play on a song, "looking for problems in all the wrong places". ;)
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 25 of 39
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    tmay said:
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:

Just for the record:

While only Apple may have some insight in a few months on number of switchers from Samsung specifically, and if it increased in any statistical way, I don't see how anyone can disagree that it *is* a benefit to Apple.  As gatorguy has outlined, in the general population, it isn't just the Note 7 that will be impacted, but the view in general that Samsung phones "may explode".  While very little of the "tech world" makes it into the general population, this issue has (people like scenes of destruction:).  

Apple and Samsung do compete in the high end market, to some degree.  There are people that are not heavily invested in either ecosystem, or newcomers, and in some cases they decide between Samsung and Apple.  Many people don't think the details much - just go on friend recommendations, word-of-mouth, etc.  A general negative perception of Samsung's safety will shift some to choose Apple over Samsung in some markets (where other Android phone vendors have less brand appeal).

It may not be much, and certainly at most would be a small % increase to what Apple would have sold in any case, but it can only be positive.
    gatorguywatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 39
    brucemc said:
    tmay said:
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:

Just for the record:

While only Apple may have some insight in a few months on number of switchers from Samsung specifically, and if it increased in any statistical way, I don't see how anyone can disagree that it *is* a benefit to Apple.  As gatorguy has outlined, in the general population, it isn't just the Note 7 that will be impacted, but the view in general that Samsung phones "may explode".  While very little of the "tech world" makes it into the general population, this issue has (people like scenes of destruction:).  

Apple and Samsung do compete in the high end market, to some degree.  There are people that are not heavily invested in either ecosystem, or newcomers, and in some cases they decide between Samsung and Apple.  Many people don't think the details much - just go on friend recommendations, word-of-mouth, etc.  A general negative perception of Samsung's safety will shift some to choose Apple over Samsung in some markets (where other Android phone vendors have less brand appeal).

It may not be much, and certainly at most would be a small % increase to what Apple would have sold in any case, but it can only be positive.
    The underlying tone of these "benefit" arguments is that the iPhone 7 wouldn't be such an early success without the untimely failings of the Samsung Note 7, when it is just as likely that the iPhone 7 is, yet again, the best overall smartphone in the market; i.e., credit where credit due. Better yet, the credit goes as well to the innovations that are in the iPhone 7, after a long period of low expectations by the media, which is indeed a fact.
    edited September 2016 anantksundaramwatto_cobrapalomine
  • Reply 27 of 39
    tmay said:
    brucemc said:
    tmay said:
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:

Just for the record:

The underlying tone of these "benefit" arguments is that the iPhone 7 wouldn't be such an early success without the untimely failings of the Samsung Note 7, when it is just as likely that the iPhone 7 is, yet again, the best overall smartphone in the market; i.e., credit where credit due. Better yet, the credit goes as well to the innovations that are in the iPhone 7, after a long period of low expectations by the media, which is indeed a fact.
    End of story.
  • Reply 28 of 39

xmhillx said:
    Damn. Orders to supply components for 80 million iPhones, possibly 100 million. For fucks sake, this flies in the face of everyone spelling doom for Apple from removing the headphone jack, being boring, no innovation, etc.
    Anyone who thought that 2015 was "peak iPhone" was really not paying attention to the market.  It is unlikely to grow significantly % wise, but it will still grow for a number of years as a general trend (no doubt with some down points in between).
    - Apple continues to grow the overall iPhone base, increasing the number of users to upgrade from.
    - The smartphone market continues to grow globally (slowly, but will do so for some time) as feature phones are replaced, and while much of that may be in the mid-to-low end, some continues to be the premium market.  Apple's addressable market continues to grow.
    - Unlike PC's / Macs & iPads, smartphones are used by many all day, go everywhere, go through a lot of "wear & tear" and accidents, and simply don't last as long (even though Apple leads here).  Screens get cracked, batteries degrade, and eventually even "upgrade laggards" decide they have had enough, and will purchase a new one.  The upgrade cycle will lengthen, but not to the level that Mac's / iPads are at today.
    - There isn't any new product category visible yet that will start to supplant the smartphone, in the way the smartphone did the PC (which itself ruled for 20 years).  Everyone still wants to take pictures, share on social media, consume social media, videos, games, use maps, productivity apps, etc.  "The Cloud" doesn't project directly into the brain yet, so this still takes a device with a good screen and computing power, that you always have with you.  The smart watch (especially when it gains cellular connectivity) will take some tasks away from the smart phone, but it can't replace it.  A tiny screen and voice input is not that useful for using Facebook, etc.  And Apple is the premium category leader in smart watches anyway (now with seamless ear phones that connect to it...)
    - Apple continues to invest in long term technologies (organically, or via acquisitions) that will continue to improve the usefulness of the smartphone (AR, VR, wallet, health, security, enterprise,...)

So if Apple's iPhone business is going to continue to grow, and the tablet / Mac businesses are stable with maybe some growth due to ecosystem effect, and the Apple watch/headphones (Apple + Beats)/accessories give some good growth, and Enterprise grows + services growth...maybe the stock will see some better days ahead.
  • Reply 29 of 39
    tmay said:
    brucemc said:
    tmay said:
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:

Just for the record:

That certainly is not what I am saying.  See my other point above.
  • Reply 30 of 39
    tmay said:
    brucemc said:
    tmay said:
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:

Just for the record:

Well I'm glad it's finally clear, based on your silence, that you don't actually disagree with anything I wrote. I don't think you actually disagree with what @brucemc wrote either. Instead it's your (and Anant's) interpretation of the subjective "tone" that you didn't like. Well you two are certainly entitled to see what you'd like to see. We all do that to some extent, so fair enough. 
    edited September 2016 big
  • Reply 31 of 39
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    They're certainly shipping them much faster than they're saying they will.
    My daughter ordered hers, by phone, on the night of the 11th - plus, rose gold, 256gb - and was given
    a delivery date of Sept 30th...however, turns out it's arriving tomorrow.  Nine days instead of nineteen.
    Make of that what you will, but I think the two likeliest explanations are pretty obvious...
  • Reply 32 of 39
    gatorguy said:
    tmay said:
    brucemc said:
    tmay said:
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:

Just for the record:

Well I'm glad it's finally clear, based on your silence, that you don't actually disagree with anything I wrote. I don't think you actually disagree with what @brucemc wrote either. Instead it's your (and Anant's) interpretation of the subjective "tone" that you didn't like. Well you two are certainly entitled to see what you'd like to see. We all do that to some extent, so fair enough. 
    Actually, that would be false; I only agree, that Apple, and every other premium Android OS OEM for that matter, might benefit. There isn't any correlation, yet, that the Note 7 debacle is having an effect on iPhone 7 sales, and while I would certainly agree that there will be some users that will shift their alliance to Apple over this, there is no evidence yet to support that.

For a fact, you were one of those stating that Apple was benefitting from all the hype of the iPhone 7, which there was by Apple at its introduction, whereas I posted another opinion that stated that the media actually suppressed the hype of the iPhone 7 pre launch. Maybe the truth is the most of the early buyers were planning to purchase the iPhone 7 anyway.

I'm guessing the facts, my statements, and your statements are in agreement with me that the iPhone 7 is today in fact the premium smartphone in the world.
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 33 of 39
    tmay said: I only agree, that Apple, and every other premium Android OS OEM for that matter, might benefit.
    (Which is exactly what my opinion was too. See post #6).

For a fact, you were one of those stating that Apple was benefitting from all the hype of the iPhone 7
    (So you don't think hyping "free" iPhone promos and no Note 7 ones are helping iPhone sales while hurting Samsung in any way? I betcha do :) , low initial "analyst" expectations or not, tho that wasn't one of my major points to begin with. It simply drew a mention in one post.) 

I'm guessing the facts, my statements, and your statements are in agreement with me that the iPhone 7 is today in fact the premium smartphone in the world.
    (Nailed it again. Yup we agree.) 
    That is all so true. So again we actually disagree on nothing at all as far as I can read. Why do you so badly want to appear to be disagreeing?  "Just because..." ?
    edited September 2016 big
  • Reply 34 of 39

gatorguy said:
    That is all so true. So again we actually disagree on nothing at all as far as I can read. Why do you so badly want to appear to be disagreeing?  "Just because..." ?

Your posting gymnastics have defeated me, but thanks are certainly in order for agreeing with me that the Apple iPhone 7 is the premium smartphone in the world today, and probably for quite awhile.
    edited September 2016 bigpalomine
  • Reply 35 of 39
    lkrupp said:
    Scenario: I'm a Samsung user and I want to buy the Note 7 but I will buy the iPhone 7 Plus instead because the Note 7 isn't available for a few weeks.

I don't accept that theory one little bit, not unless the battery fiasco has so severely damaged Samsung's reputation that I don't want to buy anything Samsung now. I don't accept that theory either.

So you think this will be neutral or even positive for Samsung? I think you what you might be saying is that you do not think it will hurt 'as much' as these guys predict. But then again, you don't know, nor do we. It will be a hit to their reputation, no doubt.
  • Reply 36 of 39
    tmay said:

gatorguy said:

Your posting gymnastics have defeated me, but thanks are certainly in order for agreeing with me that the Apple iPhone 7 is the premium smartphone in the world today, and probably for quite awhile.
    You're welcome!
    (Wheww that took awhile)
    big
  • Reply 37 of 39
    gatorguy said:
    tmay said:

gatorguy said:

You're welcome!
    (Wheww that took awhile)
    Okay, I had some fun!!

Now there's a report of a single unit in China that caught on fire, most likely unrelated to the battery, which is of an entirely different manufacturer, but brings to mind that the containment of this story is still tentative, which doe play better in your scenario than mine; i.e., a higher probability of Samsung's brand becoming tarnished and widespread avoidance of the brand.

I bow to your prescience...

• Reply 38 of 39
    tmay said:

gatorguy said:

"Your posting gymnastics have defeated me" - classic!

Why do I get the feeling that GatorGuy is going "ha! ha! ha!" in his mind?

gatorguy
  • Reply 39 of 39
    How many Note 7s do they sell, I don't think it's a mainstream device so doubt it'll have a huge impact on iPhone 7 Plus sales. The biggest impact is probably the camera and whether people deem it worthy of an upgrade. Otherwise, I guess we'll all have to wait for the iPhone 8 and see what killer VR/Augmented reality comes from Apple, should be exciting!