Apple reportedly in discussions to buy sports car manufacturer McLaren

Comments

• Reply 41 of 97
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    williamh said:
    tundraboy said:
    I can imagine a scaled up McLaren with a 'down market' division priced against the middle of the BMW, MB, Audi lines and the existing line of McLaren supercars continuing on as the halo division.
    McLaren's expertise is not in the practical mass market cars.  If Apple buys this company, I would expect Apple to discontinue any expenditures on the supercars.  If McLaren would continue to produce them, it would be without any significant updates until eventually discontinued.  I'm sure the McLaren engineers are extremely sharp, maybe even culturally compatible with Apple (no bozo explosion there), but I don't see what they'll bring to this particular table.

If I had the funds, I would be about in McLaren's target markets (not middle east oil, middle age crisis). 

Now, if Apple really wants the engineers who can make something practical and superb, they should be going after Lotus Engineering.  In addition to their own wonderful sports cars, they've done engineering work for many other companies.  They designed the basis of the Tesla Roadster, for example - they have expertise in electric and hybrids.
    If Apple is creating a system that all automobiles can license, and needs a marketable vehicle in which to showcase their wares, it would behoove Apple not to create an automobile that competes directly with the market they are targeting. This is very difficult (sometimes impossible) to achieve, but McLaren would be one way to achieve that goal. That isn't to say this is what Apple is doing, and it would be different for Apple to license technology, but so is building a car.
  • Reply 42 of 97
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    My view is that Apple would only consider doing this for the technology McLaren has (whatever that is).  I can't see Apple in the luxury sports car range.  If an Apple car does come to pass though, expect design to be one of its key points.
  • Reply 43 of 97
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    brucemc said:
    My view is that Apple would only consider doing this for the technology McLaren has (whatever that is).  I can't see Apple in the luxury sports car range.  If an Apple car does come to pass though, expect design to be one of its key points.
    They aren't buying them to build Maclaren's.
  • Reply 44 of 97
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    This actually makes a lot of sense.

McLaren sports cars only cost $350,000 - yet they are hand made. They are similar in cost to other cars in its class: Lamborghini, Ferrari, Aston Martin, etc.

What if:
    • Apple automates the manufacturing of McLarens to bring the cost down to $50,000 to $90,000?
    • Apple customizes the software to its user interface and design
    • Even adding autonomous driving as needed
    Apple could even have manufacturing done in China to bring the price down to $30,000 in mass quantity - brutally competing against the rest of the car industry.

I thought buying all of BMW would make more sense and it would be also rather cheap at $65 billion.  But then I guess Apple executives aren't satisfied with BMW cars and how they drive. And it would be more difficult to blend in with Apple since it is an old stodgy company, not a massive startup like Apple is.
    With this logic, there is no need to buy McLaren. If true, there are either technologies (probably materials) or talent they want. They would not buy them for manufacturing as they really have none to offer.

BMW would make a better fit as they can at least offer manufacturing capability and know how. However, if I'm not mistaken, BMW is either a private company or public with a majority interest held by the family. Could be wrong, but if that's the case, it's only a matter of whether they want to sell.
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 45 of 97
    McLaren is actually two companies. McLaren Technology and McLaren Automative, of which McLaren Technology has an 80% stake. Apple is apparently talking to McLaren Technology, which could leave Automative as completely separate and spun off too continue with the McLaren brand and making its super cars.
  • Reply 46 of 97
    For the record I have changed my mind. I think this acquisition may just have legs.
  • Reply 47 of 97
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    cywoo said:
    Personally Aston Martin may better fits Apple's design style.
    Aston Martin is a Ford Company!  McLaren is only British car company left I know of and great exchange rate for a US company.
  • Reply 48 of 97
    That picture is twenty some years old. There is some very interesting F1 hybrid technology, I think this, if true, is an IP play.
  • Reply 49 of 97
    focher said:
    McLaren is actually two companies. McLaren Technology and McLaren Automative, of which McLaren Technology has an 80% stake. Apple is apparently talking to McLaren Technology, which could leave Automative as completely separate and spun off too continue with the McLaren brand and making its super cars.
    Good info.
  • Reply 50 of 97
    Soli said:
    volcan said:
    At least it is less money than the Beats acquisition, but I can't see how Apple can make any money without mass production, automation and middle class affordability.
    Less money or more money is irrelevant when you're talking about revenue and profits. It's clear Beats was a brilliant buy. If Apple is at fault for anything, it's not buying Beats years earlier when they saw the trend of Beats headphone sales in their very own stores.
    How is it clear Beats was a brilliant buy? I don't believe for one second that Apple couldn't bring music to market without Beats.
    god you're in such denial. i wonder why. so you're still pretending not to be aware of the excellent profit apple is making from the #1 headphone brand? cool story bro. 
    SoliRayz2016
  • Reply 51 of 97
    Unless they're sitting on key patents for manufacturing and electric car design I see zero value in it.
    You see no value in buying a world-class manufacturing concern to control the end-to-end production of your own secret car? Interesting point of view.
    monstrositynolamacguy
  • Reply 52 of 97
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    cywoo said:
    Aston Martin is a Ford Company!  McLaren is only British car company left I know of and great exchange rate for a US company.
    I think TVR counts, but I only know of the company from Top Gear. I wouldn't be surprised if there were dozens of little British car companies I've never heard of.

• Reply 53 of 97
    qwwera said:
    It's a smart move it true. Tesla would have been a great fit too, especially as it would give Musk a little breathing room and maybe even have his brilliance and enthusiasm as an Apple board member.

But Tesla may not be for sale or too expensive. Either way it would  be good to have an electric duopoly akin to Android and iOS to make the whole of the consumer experience better.

...yet as cool as cars are, I don't know why Apple wants the headaches of the car industry. Tesla isn't making money and the major entrenched players almost all went broke in 2008.

Apple has a great gig selling tiny little gadgets in tiny little boxes at high margins easily shipped via Fed X.  Vehicle manufacturing requires mountains of raw materials and headaches with far lower margins.
    And not too many can fit in Fed X delivery van. 

Apple should instead keep focusing on medical and fitness technologies that pair well with their existing products and could also sell in tiny boxes with high margins.
    I doubt Musk would stay on if Tesla was sold to Apple. He doesn't answer to people.
  • Reply 54 of 97
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    digitalclips said:

...and great exchange rate for a US company.
    It is not really significantly different. In 2000 it was 0.70. Now it is 0.77 due to Brexit. Admittedly, it has been in the mid 0.6 range for a while, but still that is only a tenth of a Pound difference. Nothing like the swings in the Yen and the Euro.
  • Reply 55 of 97
    Soli said:
    cywoo said:
    I think TVR counts, but I only know of the company from Top Gear. I wouldn't be surprised if there were dozens of little British car companies I've never heard of.

I think you are right, I seem to recall it was Russian for a while.  Not a big player though.   The smallest car maker I recall from my life in the UK was Dinky made by Mecanno.  ;)
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 56 of 97

volcan said:
    digitalclips said:

...and great exchange rate for a US company.
    It is not really significantly different. In 2000 it was 0.70. Now it is 0.77 due to Brexit. Admittedly, it has been in the mid 0.6 range for a while, but still that is only a tenth of a Pound difference. Nothing like the swings in the Yen and the Euro.
    As one who collects a UK pension here in the USA I can tell you it is pretty bloody sucky at the moment!  :(
  • Reply 58 of 97
    ireland said:
    brucemc said:
    They aren't buying them to build Maclaren's.
    Good point! :)
  • Reply 59 of 97
    McLaren is denying they are in talks with Apple.