Apple reportedly in discussions to buy sports car manufacturer McLaren

Comments

• Reply 61 of 97
    Of course if this happens,they'll have to re-branded as MacLaren  … or macLaren as current fashion dictates.
    badmonk
  • Reply 62 of 97
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member

volcan said:
    It is not really significantly different. In 2000 it was 0.70. Now it is 0.77 due to Brexit. Admittedly, it has been in the mid 0.6 range for a while, but still that is only a tenth of a Pound difference. Nothing like the swings in the Yen and the Euro.
    As one who collects a UK pension here in the USA I can tell you it is pretty bloody sucky at the moment!  :(
    Sorry to hear that, but buying a UK company right now, especially a luxury brand, could be a little risky because it is quite uncertain how the import duty and taxes situation regarding the EU will ultimately end up.
  • Reply 63 of 97
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    McLaren and Apple would be awesome.
  • Reply 64 of 97
    dk49dk49 Posts: 267member

It seems Apple is keen on using Mclaren's designing/manufacturing technology in its car. Apple rolling out a supercar doesn't make sense. What makes sense is bringing super car technology to mass market cars - that will definitely give Apple the differentiating factor it is desperately seeking.

• Reply 65 of 97
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Soli said:
    volcan said:
    At least it is less money than the Beats acquisition, but I can't see how Apple can make any money without mass production, automation and middle class affordability.
    Less money or more money is irrelevant when you're talking about revenue and profits. It's clear Beats was a brilliant buy. If Apple is at fault for anything, it's not buying Beats years earlier when they saw the trend of Beats headphone sales in their very own stores.
    How is it clear Beats was a brilliant buy? I don't believe for one second that Apple couldn't bring music to market without Beats.
    Fortunately, what you choose to believe makes little difference here or at Apple. 
    nolamacguy
  • Reply 66 of 97
    This actually makes a lot of sense.

McLaren sports cars only cost $350,000 - yet they are hand made. They are similar in cost to other cars in its class: Lamborghini, Ferrari, Aston Martin, etc.

What if:
    • Apple automates the manufacturing of McLarens to bring the cost down to $50,000 to $90,000?
    • Apple customizes the software to its user interface and design
    • Even adding autonomous driving as needed
    Apple could even have manufacturing done in China to bring the price down to $30,000 in mass quantity - brutally competing against the rest of the car industry.

I thought buying all of BMW would make more sense and it would be also rather cheap at $65 billion.  But then I guess Apple executives aren't satisfied with BMW cars and how they drive. And it would be more difficult to blend in with Apple since it is an old stodgy company, not a massive startup like Apple is.
    I don't know.  That all sounds WAY out of Apple's expertise.  It would be nothing short of a miracle if they can do better than the rest of the entire car industry with improving manufacturing automation and production in China while keeping good quality and lower prices.
  • Reply 67 of 97
    dk49 said:

It seems Apple is keen on using Mclaren's designing/manufacturing technology in its car. Apple rolling out a supercar doesn't make sense. What makes sense is bringing super car technology to mass market cars - that will definitely give Apple the differentiating factor it is desperately seeking.

Well they certainly won't be using McLaren's manufacturing technology since their cars are entirely handmade. And what supercar technologies are needed for a consumer automobile? There are many hybrids and electric cars already on the streets today. 

I agree McLaren's designs look spectacular, but not really practical for everyday driving.
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 68 of 97
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    This actually makes a lot of sense.

McLaren sports cars only cost $350,000 - yet they are hand made. They are similar in cost to other cars in its class: Lamborghini, Ferrari, Aston Martin, etc.

What if:
    • Apple automates the manufacturing of McLarens to bring the cost down to $50,000 to $90,000?
    • Apple customizes the software to its user interface and design
    • Even adding autonomous driving as needed
    Apple could even have manufacturing done in China to bring the price down to $30,000 in mass quantity - brutally competing against the rest of the car industry.

I thought buying all of BMW would make more sense and it would be also rather cheap at $65 billion.  But then I guess Apple executives aren't satisfied with BMW cars and how they drive. And it would be more difficult to blend in with Apple since it is an old stodgy company, not a massive startup like Apple is.
    I don't know.  That all sounds WAY out of Apple's expertise.  It would be nothing short of a miracle if they can do better than the rest of the entire car industry with improving manufacturing automation and production in China while keeping good quality and lower prices.
    "PC guys are not going to just figure this out. They’re not going to just walk in.”
    randominternetpersonnolamacguy
  • Reply 69 of 97
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    I think the NYT has completely lost the plot:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/22/technology/apple-is-said-to-hold-talks-with-mclaren-and-lit-motors.html

Sounds to me like they're guessing. 
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 70 of 97
    Soli said:

"PC guys are not going to just figure this out. They’re not going to just walk in.”
    That was one of the more comical quotes. Right up there with Michael Dell's "Shut it down and give the money back to the share holders."

Although he did get it half right, since Apple is now paying a dividend.
    Solinolamacguy
  • Reply 71 of 97
    The purchase (if true)  could just be for the F1 advertising alone. 
    If they are serious about getting into cars, I guess they have to play the traditional marketing game, and make people lust for a premium vehicle. F1 being the biggest motorsport on the planet, I could see a little sense in them being involved.
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 72 of 97
    I sat in one at the Philly Auto Show last Spring and it was nice. That one went for $200k. A little (x2) out of my price range.
  • Reply 73 of 97
    You don't need to buy the company to sponsor a team or put your logo on an F1 race car. McLaren only makes the chassis for a couple of teams and although the announcers do mention the McLaren name a few times during the broadcast, is that really worth the money? It has got to be more than that (if the rumor is true).
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 74 of 97
    williamh said:
    Now, if Apple really wants the engineers who can make something practical and superb, they should be going after Lotus Engineering.  
    You do know how Lotus got the name don't you?  It was an acronym: Lots Of Trouble Usually Serious......
  • Reply 75 of 97
    volcan said:
    You don't need to buy the company to sponsor a team or put your logo on an F1 race car. McLaren only makes the chassis for a couple of teams and although the announcers do mention the McLaren name a few times during the broadcast, is that really worth the money? It has got to be more than that (if the rumor is true).
    I don't mean just a sticker. They whole vehicle.
    Currently partnered with Honda I believe? (I haven't checked that).
  • Reply 76 of 97
    I was at least hoping Apple might sponsor them in F1 racing. Apple could certainly afford to help support at least some racing team. I'd certainly like to see Chip Ganassi's Ford GTLM team with Apple sponsorship.
  • Reply 77 of 97

volcan said:
    Sorry I'm speculating out loud here whilst trying to look after a 2 week old baby! 
    I believe there is an electric vehicle version of F1, so instead of McLaren /Honda it could be McLaren/Apple with an Apple designed electric engine and battery
  • Reply 78 of 97
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    And just like that. . .

"BREAKING: McLaren not in discussions w/ Apple about any potential investment, spokesperson for McLaren tells Reuters"
  • Reply 79 of 97
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    volcan said:
    Soli said:

That was one of the more comical quotes. Right up there with Michael Dell's "Shut it down and give the money back to the share holders."

Although he did get it half right, since Apple is now paying a dividend.
    What I don't get is why people think it's a big deal to make a car. There are countless car shows where independent people—not just small companies—that build cars in a garage. A cell phone is much tougher endeavor in that aspect.

The first counter argument I get is, "Yeah, but they rebuild old cars that don't have computers or use parts that have the computer attached." I then point out that Apple is a computer company, has hired the QNX creator/founder, and that cars are not only heavily computerized, but moving even further in that direction as EVs get more popular. There is absolutely nothing that should indicate this is not possible for Apple, Samsung, Google, Microsoft, or any other CE maker.
  • Reply 80 of 97
    gatorguy said:
    And just like that. . .

"BREAKING: McLaren not in discussions w/ Apple about any potential investment, spokesperson for McLaren tells Reuters"
    Oh well was fun while it lasted