Apple allegedly in talks to buy self-balancing motorcycle outfit Lit Motors

Posted:
in General Discussion edited September 2016
Amid quashed rumors about a McLaren deal, Apple is also reportedly considering a takeover of Lit Motors, a startup with a self-balancing, all-electric motorcycle.

The two companies are in talks about a "potential acquisition," the New York Times said on Wednesday, citing three anonymous sources. Apple is already said to have hired several former Lit engineers.

The latter firm is currently developing the C-1, which despite being a motorcycle has the cabin of a car, with features like airbags, air conditioning, and a sound system. Its signature feature though is its self-balancing mechanism, which allows it to be driven like a car as well. In theory it should be able to keep a C-1 upright at all times, even in a T-bone collision.

Both Apple and Lit Motors have refused to comment.

It's not clear why Apple would want to buy Lit, but incorporating the C-1's technology would distinguish a rumored "Apple Car" from other vehicles on the market. Alternately Apple might only be interested in an "acqui-hire," picking up Lit's remaining staff to fill in workforce gaps.

If it did use Lit's technology, Apple would almost certainly have to design an entirely new vehicle, as the C-1 can only carry a single passenger -- limiting its potential market.

Earlier this month reports claimed Apple laid off dozens of workers from its secret Project Titan initiative as the group refocuses from automotive hardware to software.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 51
    THIS makes more sense than a car to me.
    sully54sergioz
  • Reply 2 of 51
    ok now the NYT is just trolling us. they just recently completely screwed up a rumor about an automaker rumor so now they've tossed up a new one. Really? 
    edited September 2016 watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 51
    200 miles in single charge, Gyro technology is cool, over 100mph, charges full on 110v in 6 hours... up to 80% charge in 30 min with a fast charging (220v) station.. Thats not bad at all.. It's the cost is the kicker.. $24,000 base price.. They need it down to around $12-16k
    calisergiozjustadcomics
  • Reply 4 of 51
    ok now the NYT is just trolling us. they just completely screwed up a rumor about an automaker rumor so now they've tossed up a new one. Really? 
    That rumor was not from NYT, they just agreed it could happen.. Financial Times was where that McLaren rumor came from.
    calisergiozjustadcomicscwingrav
  • Reply 5 of 51
    A single-passenger commuter vehicle makes a lot of sense when a lot of vehicles on the road can seat 4+ people but most of the time only contain a driver.
  • Reply 6 of 51
    I was hoping the WSJ would chime in with a purchase suggestion today as did FT, NYT and Vanity Fair. The NYT wins for originality. 
  • Reply 7 of 51
    If Apple were to build a car it would be something like this, not a conventional 3-box design car. 
  • Reply 8 of 51
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    bdkennedy said:
    THIS makes more sense than a car to me.
    Agreed, but I'd say it is a car, just taken further toward a more sustainable form. 

Given available technology around now, there's little reason to use anything heavier than a motorcycle for personal transport, if weather protection and safety can be worked out.
    mdriftmeyercalijustadcomics
  • Reply 8 of 51
    Would these stupid rumors stop, first they doing a deal with the McLaren, I super high end sport car, even apple with its luxury brand can not sell something like that to the general population and now a Segway motorcycle which the general population would not buy. I think this is just more stock manipulation.
    palomineronncali
  • Reply 10 of 51
    I'll buy one if Apple makes it. It is a good commute bike-car.
  • Reply 11 of 51
    The iCycle trademark is likely taken, har.
  • Reply 12 of 51
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member

"Oh look, there's a wall no-one's thrown anything against yet."

This does seem to be a bit soon after the McLaren denial to be taken seriously.

I'm afraid the philosophy with anything Apple does has to be "Believe nothing until it's announced by Apple".

calipscooter63
  • Reply 13 of 51
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    jamiel said:
    A single-passenger commuter vehicle makes a lot of sense when a lot of vehicles on the road can seat 4+ people but most of the time only contain a driver.
    My favorite two-seater:

justadcomics
  • Reply 14 of 51
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    And tomorrow it's Ferrari.
  • Reply 15 of 51
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Tomorrow: Apple in talks to invest in GM
    Friday: Apple heavily involved in Nissan electrics
    Saturday: Toyota and Apple: What you need to know. 
    tmaycalijustadcomics
  • Reply 16 of 51
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    ireland said:
    And tomorrow it's Ferrari.
    This must all be driving Samsung nuts ... "what to copy, what to copy?"
    patchythepirateirelandcalijustadcomicsroundaboutnowwatto_cobrabrucemcmonstrosity
  • Reply 17 of 51
    If Apple did nothing but actually build the C-1 and made it all Apple-y they would have a killer product.
    calicogitodexterjustadcomics
  • Reply 18 of 51
    roakeroake Posts: 809member
    Apple is a luxury brand.  High quality and safety in a motor vehicle is to be expected.  Not just novelty.
  • Reply 19 of 51
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    jamiel said:
    I see cars on the road all the time with no driver at all because the person behind the wheel is fiddling around with their cell phone.
    calijustadcomicswatto_cobrabrucemcfrantisekcharlesatlas
  • Reply 20 of 51
    The NY Times has become the DigiTimes.
    ireland