Apple FCC filing shows Apple TV-sized device with Bluetooth, NFC under review

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited September 2016
This week's update of the U.S. Federal Communication Commission's database has revealed an as-yet-unannounced Apple product, with screw placement and case dimensions similar to that of the fourth-generation Apple TV.

First spotted by Consomac, the regulatory label has little information as presented in the FCC drawing. The A1844 model number on the case is not currently in use by Apple.

Power draw for the device is said to be 100mA with a peak of 700mA, and between 5.5V and 13.2V. This is different than the fourth generation Apple TV power supply, which is rated for 12V and 920mA.

FCC regulatory label information, with Torx screw position
FCC regulatory label information, with Torx screw position

Associated with the filing are Bluetooth and NFC tests by the FCC. Wi-Fi tests were not performed on the device, implying either an existing design re-utilized or no Wi-Fi functionality whatsoever.

Fourth generation Apple TV disassembly by iFixit, showing similar screw position
Fourth generation Apple TV disassembly by iFixit, showing similar screw position

Much of the test documentation is hidden by a request for confidentiality associated with the product.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 58
    4k finally? Had to skip the 4th generation because it was missing. It is kind of absurd situation, you can record 4k on iPhone, but can't watch it in full resolution.
    calimike1aplnubbsimpsensingularitySoli
  • Reply 2 of 58
    Go for a new AirPort Express that gets a upgrade to AC being the only network device that hasn't supported that standard.
    doozydozeniSRS
  • Reply 3 of 58
    But NFC... I wonder if they're making an Apple Pay terminal to ship off to shops? That would speed up adoption
    doozydozenleptonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 58
    Hopefully a terminal for Apple Pay so the poor McDonald's employees at the drive through don't have to pick up and drag the other terminal to the window...had to say it. But this would be unlikely due to interface issues with existing POS systems. Not sure what this would be. The NFC is throwing me here.
    williamlondoncalidoozydozenleptonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 58
    NFC for rapid config using iPhone?
    doozydozendavenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 58
    The RS485 communication wiring is a clue here. Perhaps this is a hub/bridge for smart home technology? An Apple TV doesn't have or need a 2-wire communication protocol.
    doozydozenJBSloughSoli
  • Reply 7 of 58
    A Mac Mini combined with Apple TV functionality would be nice.
    palominewatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 58
    zroger73 said:
    The RS485 communication wiring is a clue here. Perhaps this is a hub/bridge for smart home technology? An Apple TV doesn't have or need a 2-wire communication protocol.
    Perhaps something like an Amazon Echo, using Siri and incorporating Apple Pay (does this make sense?) for sites that don't integrate it on the web or alternatively a simple quick login to Apple Home??

Consumer or business?
  • Reply 9 of 58
     New era of television shopping channels with Apple Pay ;)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 58
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Apple TV with Apple Pay would be interesting. Tap the device to pay? Or would it be easier to just use TouchID from iPhone or Siri remote when shopping on Apple TV?

Either way I'm open to it and the fact Apple TV doesn't accept Apple Pay is ridiculous.
    But NFC... I wonder if they're making an Apple Pay terminal to ship off to shops? That would speed up adoption
    This was an idea of mine when Apple Pay was announced. People disagreed and thought it would be a waste but in retrospect it makes even more sense now than ever.

• Reply 11 of 58
    jason98 said:
    4k finally? Had to skip the 4th generation because it was missing. It is kind of absurd situation, you can record 4k on iPhone, but can't watch it in full resolution.

the 4th gen was still a major upgrade, purely for the apps. i can't imagine skipping it over lack of 4k. first, because i don't have a 4k tv or see one i want to buy. second, because i don't want to pay extra for 4k content. and third, because i prefer shooting on my iPhone at 1080p w/ 60 FPS.

by the time those points are addressed there will likely be a 5th gen...and in all the meanwhile ill have enjoyed real world value from the apps i use every week.
    edited September 2016 williamlondondoozydozenpatchythepiratewatto_cobraiSRS
  • Reply 12 of 58
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    jason98 said:

the 4th gen was still a major upgrade, purely for the apps. i can't imagine skipping it over lack of 4k. first, because i don't have a 4k tv or see one i want to buy. second, because i don't want to pay extra for 4k content. and third, because i prefer shooting on my iPhone at 1080p w/ 60 FPS.

by the time those points are addressed there will likely be a 5th gen...and in all the meanwhile ill have enjoyed real world value from the apps i use every week.
    I was surprised to get all the way to the end of the comments before finding the 4K hate.

Back on topic: It seems too early for a new AppleTV, though I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

I didn't skip the 4th generation (or the 1st, 2nd & 3rd for that matter). I do have a 4K TV and its annoying to have to switch over to the TV's built-in Apps to get 4K content, though, as pointed out, that content isn't widely available yet.

I'm about to order a HDHomeRun to use with Plex to pass-thru/record OTA TV.

If the AppleTV goes 4K, there is very little I would need on any other device. Apple will win the race to occupy Input 1 in my house.

Maybe my next TV can be dumb?
    calidoozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 58
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,279member
    jason98 said:

I have a 4K TV and  wasn't jumping from an ATV3 to an ATV4 that lacks support. Apps didn't mean much as the content already existed on my ATV3. I'll consider an ATV5 with 4K. I'm also seriously looking at the Tivo Bolt+ and hoping Roku does not screw up Tivo too badly.
  • Reply 14 of 58
    zroger73 said:
    Perhaps something like an Amazon Echo, using Siri and incorporating Apple Pay (does this make sense?) for sites that don't integrate it on the web or alternatively a simple quick login to Apple Home??

Consumer or business?
    Good question. My line of work involves industrial control systems such as temperature controllers, PLCs, motor speed controls, etc. RS485 is a common physical layer that allows these devices to talk to one another. RS485 is also used in building automation systems (lighting, HVAC), in theaters/clubs for lighting control, and in some commercial aircraft for non-critical, low-speed data functions. I've never encountered RS485 in any typical, residential setting.
    williamlondonpatchythepiratepalomineno2arealike
  • Reply 15 of 58
    jason98 said:
    Absurd? If you've been following Apple for any length of time, surely you'd see that they try to ship products when they're ready. Not when they're ready by your expectations but when enough is ready by Apple’s estimates.

It’s likely they're not considering just your ability to capture 4K but their ability to have content to sell or stream to customers in 4K and that may not be ready. It wouldn't be a particularly great launch of a new Apple TV that can display 4K content but Apple doesn't sell any 4K content. 
    williamlondondoozydozenstompyfastasleepnolamacguyDeelronwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 58
    polymnia said:
    jason98 said:

I was surprised to get all the way to the end of the comments before finding the 4K hate.
    Very first post was about 4K.<sigh> Do we really have to revisit the 4K issue every time anything related to the ATV is discussed? Hasn't it already been discussed to death? These posts merely revisit the same points again and again and again. Don't take this to mean I don't like 4K, I have nothing against it (though its proponents drive me fucking batty!), the thing is: nothing new is being added to the discussion that hasn't already been said myriad times in forums across the internet.

Back in the day on MacRumors every single discussion thread that covered any potential new product, there was a vocal subset that rushed into the thread to be the first to post, "What about the Mac Pro?!" even when it had nothing to do with desktops or anything remotely related to a Mac Pro.

Once 4K is supported by Apple and the new 4K ATV is launched, then the same crowd will be back demanding 8K or whatever the latest new resolution or specification is on the horizon, filling the threads with the same (exactly the same) discussion about Apple being behind the times, blah, blah, blah. To even suggest this issue be put to rest invites a label of "4K hater." The repetition is old and the discourse is stale.
    doozydozenstompypscooter63yoyo2222fastasleepwatto_cobraiSRS
  • Reply 17 of 58
    An Apple TV without 4K is worthless to me!  So hopefully that's something they're working on along with 4K Apple content.
  • Reply 18 of 58
    NFC...WTF? If it is a payment terminal, that would be a Square competitor, and I don't think Apple needs to go there. 

I don't get Apple TV with NFC.
  • Reply 19 of 58
    @williamlondon ;
    comment #16
    100 times YES! Thank you. The reasoning is strong in this one. 

edited September 2016 williamlondonpscooter63
  • Reply 20 of 58
    I have a 4k TV & 4K blu ray player, but I'm not disappointed ATV4 didn't come 4k ready. If you really think about it, just say ATV supported 4K now. How much content would actually be available? Other than Netflix and 4K videos you record on your phone, there is nothing else. If Apple is going to release a 4K ATV, they need to do it when there is 4K content on the iTunes Store. 
    williamlondonstompyyoyo2222watto_cobra