Apple FCC filing shows Apple TV-sized device with Bluetooth, NFC under review

Comments

• Reply 21 of 58
    Gee, what could NFC be used for???  Maybe tap your new home automation device to your ATV and it self configures everything securely?
  • Reply 22 of 58
    RS485? NFC? Nothing to do with Apple TV then, this is likely for internal use at retail stores
    bsimpsen
  • Reply 23 of 58
    True gaming console with the support for AR that Tim has recently been hinting.
  • Reply 24 of 58
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    eightzero said:
    NFC...WTF? If it is a payment terminal, that would be a Square competitor, and I don't think Apple needs to go there. 

I don't get Apple TV with NFC.
    Home shopping.
  • Reply 25 of 58

I see 3 ApplePay possibilities:
    1. Buy Square for say, $5-$6 Billion -- current market cap $4 Billion, and offer a ubiquitous ApplePay/CC terminal.
    2. Offer ApplePay over WiFi from any point in the store -- table in a restaurant, etc.  No need to go to checkout counter or bring the terminal to you.
    3. Offer same in the home or an enterprise to shop (elsewhere) for supplies/services, etc. --  with ApplePay in a browser on a computer or iDevice.

But the most interesting possibility -- who says NFC, TouchID, Secure Enclave can only be used to pay for things?

What about secure access to:
    • a building
    • a room
    • a device
    • a computer
    • the lighting system
    • the HVAC system
    • the power system
    • anything else that needs secure access and logging

Or, it could be something as simple as:
    • buy a ticket to a movie, event, amusement park, etc. online -- pay with ApplePay and get a digital pass
    • the digital pass is used like an ApplePay cc to get entrance to the movie, event, amusement park, etc. using this new Apple device.

Orlando Disney World sells Magic Bands, with NFC,  to use  for park/ride access/scheduling.  They don't seem to be planning to offer them an other Disney parks.  They're not very secure and have already been hacked.  So, this could be a natural solution for them either with an iPhone or Apple watch. Or something that was patented by Apple before Steve died and before the Apple Watch:

edited September 2016 pscooter63no2arealike
  • Reply 26 of 58
    A hub/bridge for Automation?

Apple has joined the RE100 renewable energy initiative and one way to achieve 100% clean energy at its Apple Store is to reduce energy wastage while increasing green energy supply.

Automation in the Apple Store will help reduce energy utilization and what better way for Apple to achieve its new pledges while also provide it the real life environments to gather data and learn and use that knowledge for future HomeKit developments.

Just an alternative thinking that cross my mind after reading this post/article. A bit far fetch but not impossible given Apple's culture.
  • Reply 27 of 58
     Not sure why WilliamLondon and others think 4K is so long off. I got into it with him already. Pissing and moaning every time somone makes a suggestion that 4K would be a welcome addition for playback support are the only ones who make the discussion a drag. It's funny how somone mentions something innocuous like 4K and people like WL get their panties in a bunch. Relax bro. You don't have to buy into it. 

That said, you can buy allot of content in 4K. Just search Amazon and you'll see that the major releases are available in 4K. Star Trek, Star Wars, Deadpool, War Craft, Bourne, Mad Max etc etc.  Content availability isn't the problem one might think at this point. Sure not everything will be 4K but I don't think everything has to be. It wasn't that way when 1080 first came around.  Apple just hasn't offered it up yet as a digital download. I'm sure they have just been waiting for Tv's to get into consumer hands and content to ramp up. That time is close, so I don't think hating on people who would like 4K support to go along with their shiny new TV's are being asses. That's the wrong attitude. Looking at you WilliamLondon. Not unlike others, I'll be happy to see some juicy 4K content get released. The color improvement alone is reason enough, even if 1089 resolution is sufficient for a viewer. 

If you're like me and you're loyal to digital formats and the way Apple does things/ their ecosystem, 4K BD isn't really an option. Few people I know whatch BD as it is.

So I think the fact that 4K is being offered just not by Apple is where the sentiment of "why hasn't Apple done anything about it yet?" Is coming from. It's further reinforced when you get 4K from some of their apps (even though the device doesn't support it? kinda weird) in addition to 4K as a feature for smart tv's via offerings like Netflix. That's all supporting the idea that 4K is on its way and people are salivating for Apples offerings. So hating on those that are eating in anticipation is hugely unproductive and more than just condescending. 

@ polymnia Not like you can buy a "dumb" tv any longer. I tried. It wasn't worth it. I got a cheaper SMART TV than trying to find a dumb TV when I bought my 4K a few months ago. It's just a feature I don't use and I had to get over the idea that I was "wasting" it and/ or that I "wasted money" on the Apple TV when it was already the 2nd 4th gen I purchased and my TV natively supports half of the features the ATV does. Oh well. I love my ATV. Now my smart Tv is redundant. Maybe they'll stop building the features in once people start buying ATVS abd Rokus but I doubt it. It's not like everyone buys into Apple hardware and not everyone cares enough about games and apps to spend the extra $150-$200 when they get a new tv. 

One thing I'd like to see is more games for ATV. This has nothing to do with Apple except maybe the fact that they haven't put their best chip in the ATV yet. But there are so many games I wish would be released in ATV that are only available for iPhone/ iPad. To bad too because the big screen with a controller. Mmmm. Makes for some great gaming. Just short on "blockbuster" game titles. 
  • Reply 28 of 58
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    entropys said:
    eightzero said:
    NFC...WTF? If it is a payment terminal, that would be a Square competitor, and I don't think Apple needs to go there. 

I don't get Apple TV with NFC.
    Home shopping.
    Ridiculous, how does that work? Use your sublimely designed shopping app to fill your shopping basket then…walk over to the TV? Apple Pay would be built into the ATV App - authenticated by TouchID on a device. NFC has no place - unless you're setting up with Android
  • Reply 29 of 58
    An Apple TV without 4K is worthless to me!  So hopefully that's something they're working on along with 4K Apple content.
    Buncha size queens in here.
    williamlondonnolamacguy
  • Reply 30 of 58
    I have a 4k TV & 4K blu ray player, but I'm not disappointed ATV4 didn't come 4k ready. If you really think about it, just say ATV supported 4K now. How much content would actually be available? Other than Netflix and 4K videos you record on your phone, there is nothing else. If Apple is going to release a 4K ATV, they need to do it when there is 4K content on the iTunes Store. 
    ATV4 is more open to other content than ATV3. There are games, apps, UI assets and user content all ready to go beyond HD. It's not all about the iTunes Store anymore.
  • Reply 31 of 58
    jmncl said:
    RS485? NFC? Nothing to do with Apple TV then, this is likely for internal use at retail stores
    Yep. Maybe to piggyback NFC to older terminals?
  • Reply 32 of 58
    mike1 said:
    jason98 said:
    4k finally? Had to skip the 4th generation because it was missing. It is kind of absurd situation, you can record 4k on iPhone, but can't watch it in full resolution.

the 4th gen was still a major upgrade, purely for the apps. i can't imagine skipping it over lack of 4k. first, because i don't have a 4k tv or see one i want to buy. second, because i don't want to pay extra for 4k content. and third, because i prefer shooting on my iPhone at 1080p w/ 60 FPS.

by the time those points are addressed there will likely be a 5th gen...and in all the meanwhile ill have enjoyed real world value from the apps i use every week.
    I have a 4K TV and  wasn't jumping from an ATV3 to an ATV4 that lacks support. Apps didn't mean much as the content already existed on my ATV3. I'll consider an ATV5 with 4K. I'm also seriously looking at the Tivo Bolt+ and hoping Roku does not screw up Tivo too badly.
    apps = content. many apps besides Netflix or HBO. how do you run Plex on 3?
    williamlondon
  • Reply 33 of 58
    Sounds like a home hub. NFC must be for pairing. Or is it Point of Sale for Apple Pay, that would be an interesting decision.
  • Reply 34 of 58
     Not sure why WilliamLondon and others think 4K is so long off. I got into it with him already. Pissing and moaning every time somone makes a suggestion that 4K would be a welcome addition for playback support are the only ones who make the discussion a drag. It's funny how somone mentions something innocuous like 4K and people like WL get their panties in a bunch. Relax bro. You don't have to buy into it. 

That said, you can buy allot of content in 4K. Just search Amazon and you'll see that the major releases are available in 4K. Star Trek, Star Wars, Deadpool, War Craft, Bourne, Mad Max etc etc.  Content availability isn't the problem one might think at this point. Sure not everything will be 4K but I don't think everything has to be. It wasn't that way when 1080 first came around.  Apple just hasn't offered it up yet as a digital download. I'm sure they have just been waiting for Tv's to get into consumer hands and content to ramp up. That time is close, so I don't think hating on people who would like 4K support to go along with their shiny new TV's are being asses. That's the wrong attitude. Looking at you WilliamLondon. Not unlike others, I'll be happy to see some juicy 4K content get released. The color improvement alone is reason enough, even if 1089 resolution is sufficient for a viewer. 

If you're like me and you're loyal to digital formats and the way Apple does things/ their ecosystem, 4K BD isn't really an option. Few people I know whatch BD as it is.

So I think the fact that 4K is being offered just not by Apple is where the sentiment of "why hasn't Apple done anything about it yet?" Is coming from. It's further reinforced when you get 4K from some of their apps (even though the device doesn't support it? kinda weird) in addition to 4K as a feature for smart tv's via offerings like Netflix. That's all supporting the idea that 4K is on its way and people are salivating for Apples offerings. So hating on those that are eating in anticipation is hugely unproductive and more than just condescending. 

@ polymnia Not like you can buy a "dumb" tv any longer. I tried. It wasn't worth it. I got a cheaper SMART TV than trying to find a dumb TV when I bought my 4K a few months ago. It's just a feature I don't use and I had to get over the idea that I was "wasting" it and/ or that I "wasted money" on the Apple TV when it was already the 2nd 4th gen I purchased and my TV natively supports half of the features the ATV does. Oh well. I love my ATV. Now my smart Tv is redundant. Maybe they'll stop building the features in once people start buying ATVS abd Rokus but I doubt it. It's not like everyone buys into Apple hardware and not everyone cares enough about games and apps to spend the extra $150-$200 when they get a new tv. 

One thing I'd like to see is more games for ATV. This has nothing to do with Apple except maybe the fact that they haven't put their best chip in the ATV yet. But there are so many games I wish would be released in ATV that are only available for iPhone/ iPad. To bad too because the big screen with a controller. Mmmm. Makes for some great gaming. Just short on "blockbuster" game titles. 
    Gosh, your same argument won me over, what ever was I thinking? [rolls eyes] And nice taking it personal yet again and attributing points to me I never made, your logic is as always, "impeccable." BTW, thanks for proving my point one more time. ;-)
    nolamacguywatto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 58

please quote what messages you're referring to. what i read is a pro-4k guy getting bent out of shape for no 4k in ATV, and others explaining to him why it isn't there and won't be yet. thus the only person bent of shape is the original pro-4k whiner. 
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 58
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    I have a 4k TV & 4K blu ray player, but I'm not disappointed ATV4 didn't come 4k ready. If you really think about it, just say ATV supported 4K now. How much content would actually be available? Other than Netflix and 4K videos you record on your phone, there is nothing else. If Apple is going to release a 4K ATV, they need to do it when there is 4K content on the iTunes Store. 
    There is content out there. Most tv shows are captured in 4K by now. All movies are 4K, if not more, at capture and editing.

no one is distributing them in any meaningful way.

but if Apple can negotiate the deals, the content is sitting on servers at the studios right now.
  • Reply 37 of 58
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member

please quote what messages you're referring to. what i read is a pro-4k guy getting bent out of shape for no 4k in ATV, and others explaining to him why it isn't there and won't be yet. thus the only person bent of shape is the original pro-4k whiner. 
    Or, you could quote the anti-4K whiner  ;)
  • Reply 38 of 58
    polymnia said:
    jason98 said:
    4k finally? Had to skip the 4th generation because it was missing. It is kind of absurd situation, you can record 4k on iPhone, but can't watch it in full resolution.

the 4th gen was still a major upgrade, purely for the apps. i can't imagine skipping it over lack of 4k. first, because i don't have a 4k tv or see one i want to buy. second, because i don't want to pay extra for 4k content. and third, because i prefer shooting on my iPhone at 1080p w/ 60 FPS.

by the time those points are addressed there will likely be a 5th gen...and in all the meanwhile ill have enjoyed real world value from the apps i use every week.
    I was surprised to get all the way to the end of the comments before finding the 4K hate.
    Very first post was about 4K.<sigh> Do we really have to revisit the 4K issue every time anything related to the ATV is discussed? Hasn't it already been discussed to death? These posts merely revisit the same points again and again and again. Don't take this to mean I don't like 4K, I have nothing against it (though its proponents drive me fucking batty!), the thing is: nothing new is being added to the discussion that hasn't already been said myriad times in forums across the internet.

Back in the day on MacRumors every single discussion thread that covered any potential new product, there was a vocal subset that rushed into the thread to be the first to post, "What about the Mac Pro?!" even when it had nothing to do with desktops or anything remotely related to a Mac Pro.

Once 4K is supported by Apple and the new 4K ATV is launched, then the same crowd will be back demanding 8K or whatever the latest new resolution or specification is on the horizon, filling the threads with the same (exactly the same) discussion about Apple being behind the times, blah, blah, blah. To even suggest this issue be put to rest invites a label of "4K hater." The repetition is old and the discourse is stale.
    Thank goodness they didn't apply your mentality to Retina displays.  In that case they led and the content followed. 
  • Reply 39 of 58
    RS485, people. Yes, NFC can provide physical authentication for security, voting, 911, a whole new ecosystem of services. But the scope becomes potentially large because RS485 can talk to any number of devices via one serial port, bringing industrial-type control and management to the home, or just talking to a new generation of smart peripherals. Something big is behind the curtain...
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 40 of 58
    mcdave said:
    polymnia said:
    jason98 said:

I was surprised to get all the way to the end of the comments before finding the 4K hate.
    Very first post was about 4K.<sigh> Do we really have to revisit the 4K issue every time anything related to the ATV is discussed? Hasn't it already been discussed to death? These posts merely revisit the same points again and again and again. Don't take this to mean I don't like 4K, I have nothing against it (though its proponents drive me fucking batty!), the thing is: nothing new is being added to the discussion that hasn't already been said myriad times in forums across the internet.

Back in the day on MacRumors every single discussion thread that covered any potential new product, there was a vocal subset that rushed into the thread to be the first to post, "What about the Mac Pro?!" even when it had nothing to do with desktops or anything remotely related to a Mac Pro.

Once 4K is supported by Apple and the new 4K ATV is launched, then the same crowd will be back demanding 8K or whatever the latest new resolution or specification is on the horizon, filling the threads with the same (exactly the same) discussion about Apple being behind the times, blah, blah, blah. To even suggest this issue be put to rest invites a label of "4K hater." The repetition is old and the discourse is stale.
    Thank goodness they didn't apply your mentality to Retina displays.  In that case they led and the content followed. 
    This is so fucking stupid, trying to explain why Apple has no 4K makes one a 4K hater or obsessed with 4K (another juvenile favourite logical fallacy), this is why the moderators need to extract anything to do with 4K and put it in another thread (call it the "rat hole" where anyone wanting to discuss the same thing using the same arguments over and over and over again can do so).

You are arguing against some phantom that *you* created, just as others do so they can continue to beat on someone over *Apple's* decision (Apple's decision, not mine). I don't give a shit about it, but I do hate the hijacking of every single fucking thread and reading the same arguments and same points over and over ad nauseum by, let's call them "the whiners," and even 8 year olds know that "whiners are wieners!" (Dakota Fanning, Friends S10E14)

It's the same as it's been since the ATV4 was released, the same as it was with the ATV2 when it was released and no 1080p support then, it's the same with Apple every time and pointing it out (it's called fucking history, read about it!) makes one anti-whatever Apple failed to implement in its latest device, seriously?! FFS, grow some fucking logic, will ya?!

Can we please stop talking about its not being there and talk about other goodness in their lovely devices?!