Apple iOS 10.1, macOS Sierra 10.12.1 public betas now available

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2016
One day after the release of post-September announcement developer betas, Apple has also made available public versions of iOS 10.1 (featuring Portrait mode for the iPhone 7 Plus) and macOS 10.12.1 to eligible participants.

The biggest addition to the beta version of iOS 10.1 over the initial iOS 10.0.1 release from earlier in September is Portrait mode for the iPhone 7 Plus.

Users must lock onto their subject in Portrait mode to separate it from the background, with the software implementing a bokeh depth-of-field effect utilizing both the regular camera and the telephoto lens.

Photos captured in the portrait mode with a bokeh application are labeled with "Depth Effect."

The iPhone 7 Plus can produce a selectively out-of-focus portrait, utilizing a depth map generated by the dual-camera setup. While the feature was demonstrated at the iPhone 7 Plus unveiling earlier this month, it did not ship with the device and is scheduled for a future iOS 10 release.

The public beta of iOS 10.1 is a 1.8 GB download for the iPhone 7 Plus. Both the iOS and macOS public beta builds match Wednesday's public betas.

Apple's public beta program is free for Apple ID holders, requiring only a pre-registration process.

iOS 10.0.1, watchOS 3 and tvOS 10 were released publicly last week. macOS 10.12 Sierra launched to the public on Tuesday.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,630member
    Where is the beta of watchOS3?  watchOS 3.0.0 is a buggy piece of junk.  Battery burn, workouts don't count calories, distance, stalls, delays, etc.  I was happier than a pig in shit with watchos2, but can't go back.  

Sierra, iOS10 seem fine, but I need my watch to work!
  • Reply 2 of 5
    eriamjh said:
    Where is the beta of watchOS3?  watchOS 3.0.0 is a buggy piece of junk.  Battery burn, workouts don't count calories, distance, stalls, delays, etc.  I was happier than a pig in shit with watchos2, but can't go back.  

Sierra, iOS10 seem fine, but I need my watch to work!
    If you need something to work, installing a Beta OS is not a wise idea. 
  • Reply 3 of 5
    The AppleScripts saved as applications takes years to launch !!! yes years. wtf happened ?? (I'm talking about launch time as the execution time seems the same as on El Capitan) Siri? meh. Universal copy and paste, auto unlock ? have a Nexus. So considering downgrading if 10.12.2 doesnt resolve this, argghh.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    10.12.1 ... only change I can see is the thumbs down icon has changed in Mail, I give that a thumbs down.  LOL
  • Reply 5 of 5
    A word of caution:  After I installed 10.12.1 beta (16B2327e) on my mid-2014 15" retina MacBook Pro, it doesn't go to sleep automatically when the lid is closed.  It will go to sleep if Sleep is selected from the Apple menu.  I did report the issue to Apple via Feedback Assistant.  I post this here as a caution because of the closed non-sleeping laptop is put into a carry case, it will overheat because it is still running and has no way to dissipate the heat.