Apple to open first Mexican retail outlet on Sept. 24

Posted:
in General Discussion edited September 2016
In an email alert on Wednesday, Apple invited customers to attend the grand opening of its first retail outlet in Mexico, scheduled to take place this Saturday at the Centro Santa Fe mall.

Like other recent international grand openings, Apple is taking the opportunity to celebrate local culture with its forthcoming Mexican store launch. As noted by AppleInsider reader Alvaro, the colorful image accompanying today's email notification is reminiscent of decorations adorning the famous mariachi boats floating along the Xochimilco canals in southern Mexico City.

The graphic, reading "Hola Mexico" (translated as "Hello Mexico"), was subsequently posted to the front page of Apple's regional website.

Apple's Mexico City store in the Centro Santa Fe mall is about three times larger than surrounding boutique storefronts that comprise the plaza's upscale Via Santa Fe wing. Construction on the new location started in July.

Following Apple's "next generation" design language, Via Santa Fe will boast a Genius Bar, custom wooden cabinetry for accessories, wooden display tables and a large sales floor. Whether the outlet will feature the 37-foot, custom built TV display Apple has been installing as part of U.S. and international Apple retail renovations is unknown.

Apple is accepting reservations for in-store classes that begin on Saturday, Sept. 24, with the first sessions covering Mac, iPhone and Apple Watch basics. Those interested can sign up through the store's webpage.

The Via Santa Fe outlet opens on Saturday, Sept. 24, at 11 a.m. local time. Normal operating hours are from 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. Sunday through Friday and 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. on Saturday.

AppleInsider first reported on Apple's Mexican retail debut in January. Sources familiar with Apple's plans said Mexico City will host two Apple stores, the Via Santa Fe outlet and an upcoming "global flagship" similar in scale to Apple's Union Square outlet in San Francisco. Additional stores are being planned for Guadalajara and Monterrey, reports claim.

The Via Santa Fe opening comes as Apple seeks to push iPhone and other high-tech products into burgeoning markets. After India, the company is eyeing Latin America as a major growth market. Apple currently operates only two brick-and-mortar stores in Brazil, but sources say expansions into nearby countries Argentina, Chile and Peru are in the works.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Apple and Cumin!  Lovely.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    I'd be nice to have a store in Peru :smiley: 
  • Reply 3 of 14
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    I'd be nice to have a store in Peru smiley 
    I hope to visit there in the next few years on a photographic trip, get that welcome mat ready  :)
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 4 of 14
    At least they got it done before The Wall(TM) went up. /s
    tallest skil
  • Reply 5 of 14
    There's this Taco Truck that comes by my neighborhood every evening, and they make great tacos. Forget about fake, cheap crap like Taco Bell. That is so disgusting and it's been years since I set foot in any of those stores. I'm talking about the real deal here.

Anyway, the point I was trying to make was, it would be nice if the Taco Truck and other types of food trucks could eventually accept Apple Pay. That would great. The less cash that I have to carry on me, the better.
    thewhitefalcontallest skil
  • Reply 6 of 14
    I wonder how many Microsoft and Samsung stores are in Mexico?

• Reply 7 of 14
    I wonder how many Microsoft and Samsung stores are in Mexico?

As far as I know there are no Samsung or Microsoft stores in Mexico. But there are two premium resellers for Apple that have at least 30 stores each one. So the official Store has to do something big to be different and better.

• Reply 8 of 14
    Next week's news - Taco truck backs into the Apple store and 5 armed bandits make off with EVERYTHING!
  • Reply 9 of 14
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    rcpone said:
    Next week's news - Taco truck backs into the Apple store and 5 armed bandits make off with EVERYTHING!
    Because we all know there are a bunch of Mexican "bandits" hiding in taco trucks. /s
    It must really hurt to be so small minded.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    Noooo, they'll be stealing the truck too. Talk about "small minded".
  • Reply 11 of 14
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    I'd be nice to have a store in Peru :smiley: 
    macHu Picchu?
  • Reply 12 of 14
    rcpone said:
    Did you get that from the idiot bigot Donald Trump? Are they going to abuse the female Apple employees too and then try to sell everybody drugs?
  • Reply 13 of 14
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    At least they got it done before The Wall(TM) went up. /s
    A wall would have zero effect on a company doing legal business or a person coming or going from the U.S. Legally! We have every right to protect our boarders as Mexico has every right to protect theirs or any other country for that matter.
    apple ][
  • Reply 14 of 14
    rcpone said:
    Did you get that from the idiot bigot Donald Trump? Are they going to abuse the female Apple employees too and then try to sell everybody drugs?
    You mean from our next President? No, Mexicans have been robbing Apple Stores long before he came into the picture.