Recall of dangerous Samsung Galaxy Note 7 yields a half-million exchanges in US

Posted:
in iPhone
Samsung has revealed that about half of the recalled Galaxy Note 7 phones sold in the U.S. have been exchanged for replacement units, as part of the company's voluntary recall on the phablets after reports of battery explosions and fires.

The recall began on Wednesday, causing Samsung to stop sales of the Galaxy Note 7 and replace a total of 2.5 million units worldwide -- mostly in the United States.

Samsung said that 90 percent of Galaxy Note 7 owners have opted to receive the safer Galaxy Note 7 instead of a different model.

The timing of the recall could prove to be a boon for Apple. Analyst Gene Munster of Piper Jaffray believes the recall could provide a "slight tailwind" for iPhone 7 Plus sales, as the recall occurred right before the phone's launch of Apple's new 5.5-inch handset.

To move the launch of the Note 7 by 10 days to steal more of Apple's thunder, Samsung executives pushed suppliers into meeting faster deadlines despite the phone's significant feature advancements. It's believed the rush to market caused the serious safety issues.

One of the upgrades in the Note 7 is a 3,500 milliamp-hour battery, up from the previous Note's 3,000. Samsung has indicated that a production error has caused the battery fires.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    People will continue to blindly purchase Samsung devices, ignorant to the business practices of that company.
    calimagman1979jbdragonbigtallest skilredgeminipawatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 2 of 31
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    1) The recall only began 2 days ago? Is there some different between a technical and official recall that I'm not aware of? I could have sworn this was being recalled weeks ago.

2) What kind of dummy would keep this device? Maybe someone that likes to collect unique gadgets, and a full recall of a massive failure, might qualify for their island of misfit toys, but I sure hope those customers aren't using this phone for their sake and the sake of everyone else around them.
    calibigwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 31
    sog35 said:
    They claim that 90% of Note7 owners decided to get another Note7 instead of a refund. No way that's true.
    The article doesn't say they had an option for a refund, but for "a different model." The Note line is the most expensive model, partly due to the included digitizer, so a different Galaxy phone would just be a lesser product. If you can get a refund, that can be tricky as you need to keep a receipt, and I have a feeling that many Android owners don't keep receipts so that automatically drops the percentage down a bit out of the gate.
  • Reply 4 of 31
    "...opted to receive the **safer** Galaxy Note 7"

Safer.

So, it's not completely safe then, Samsung?
    calipscooter63magman1979redgeminipawatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 31
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,125member
    jkichline said:
    "...opted to receive the **safer** Galaxy Note 7"

Safer.

So, it's not completely safe then, Samsung?
    Well, you might walk into an open manhole while taking a selfie.  :o
    pbrutto
  • Reply 6 of 31
    sog35 said:
    These numbers are from Samsung.

I don't believe a single word of it.

They claim that 90% of Note7 owners decided to get another Note7 instead of a refund. No way that's true.
    That is bs. I read an article the other day where a Samsung spokesperson said most were exchanging for a different Galaxy model. 
  • Reply 7 of 31
    Where is the FBI and TSA investigation of this terrorist organization that is supplying bombs to airline passengers? Sad!
    calipalominemagman1979tallest skilbadmonkidreywatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 8 of 31
    So now we'll know how many notes were sold. :wink: 
    perkedelnumenoreanpalominefotoformattallest skil
  • Reply 9 of 31
    Should that read the safer Galaxy S7, rather than Note 7?
    watto_cobraforgot username
  • Reply 10 of 31
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    %90

typical Samsung bullsh**!!
    magman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 31
    sog35 said:

well... we have to determine the definition of 'owner.'

Samsung used to considers devices in the channel 'sold' (that device in the ATT store was 'sold' to ATT... like a new car on the lot has a 'dealer sales invoice').
    Channel dealers will get replacements, since they have empty shelves AND likely incentives to put Samsung devices on those empty shelves [the more you sell, the more profit you make, and the more units you get the next device release].

pscooter63redgeminipawatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 31
    sog35 said:

well... we have to determine the definition of 'owner.'

Samsung used to considers devices in the channel 'sold' (that device in the ATT store was 'sold' to ATT... like a new car on the lot has a 'dealer sales invoice').
    Channel dealers will get replacements, since they have empty shelves AND likely incentives to put Samsung devices on those empty shelves [the more you sell, the more profit you make, and the more units you get the next device release].
    I'm sure they still do that, and Apple does it, too. The difference comes in how make deals with retailers so that you can fudge numbers. Since Apple sells every damn iPhone it can possibly make for many months straight, the "art" of channel stuffing doesn't come into play, but they do count a sale to AT&T, Best Buy, whomever, as a sale.
  • Reply 13 of 31
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,329member
    sog35 said:

That is bs. I read an article the other day where a Samsung spokesperson said most were exchanging for a different Galaxy model. 
    ...and your recollection was mostly right on the money...

http://forums.appleinsider.com/discussion/195091/samsung-carriers-pushing-update-with-safety-alert-to-un-exchanged-galaxy-note-7-phones/p1

That was two days ago.

"A Samsung spokeswoman notes that the "vast majority" of Galaxy Note 7 consumers have opted for a refund, or a different Galaxy-branded phone."

From the original post above:

"Samsung said that 90 percent of Galaxy Note 7 owners have opted to receive the safer Galaxy Note 7 instead of a different model."

That's a big change in two days. Who knows what the truth is, but I actually think that most are going to get the replacements because they want the stylus feature.
    Deelronpatchythepiratepscooter63
  • Reply 14 of 31
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    How are the airlines going to distinguish between the original exploding version and the replaced version?

And since the original problem was due to a rush to deliver, it seems they could possibly face a similar issue in their rush to replace it.
    edited September 2016 patchythepirateredgeminipawatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 31
    volcan said:
    How are the airlines going to distinguish between the original exploding version and the replaced version?
    Easy. When catches fire and explodes when charged.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 31
    tmay said:
    sog35 said:

...and your recollection was mostly right on the money...

http://forums.appleinsider.com/discussion/195091/samsung-carriers-pushing-update-with-safety-alert-to-un-exchanged-galaxy-note-7-phones/p1

That was two days ago.

"A Samsung spokeswoman notes that the "vast majority" of Galaxy Note 7 consumers have opted for a refund, or a different Galaxy-branded phone."

From the original post above:

"Samsung said that 90 percent of Galaxy Note 7 owners have opted to receive the safer Galaxy Note 7 instead of a different model."

That's a big change in two days. Who knows what the truth is, but I actually think that most are going to get the replacements because they want the stylus feature.
    I chuckle at the Microsoft ads with the hipster dude singing that the Surface stylus doesn't work on the Mac. Well, it doesn't work on the Windows laptops either. 
    magman1979Deelronmac_dogpscooter63redgeminipawatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 31
    Half a million? Wow guess they didn't really sell that many as that number seems very small vs iPhone sales numbers?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 31
    Reports coming out of Korea that the replacement phones are overheating, but not exploding...yet.

http://money.cnn.com/2016/09/23/technology/samsung-replacement-phone-problems/index.html?section=money_topstories&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+rss/money_topstories+(CNNMoney%3A+Top+Stories)

Samsung's reputation is very nearly destroyed with this episode.
    edited September 2016 watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 31
    bigbig Posts: 36member
    sog35 said:

Agreed. I read somewhere (Here on AI? ArsTechnica? I need to dig up the source.) that Samsuck's own announcement about the status of the recall said the vast majority were being returned for refunds.

edit: tmay in post 14 above expressed much better what I was trying to say.
    edited September 2016 watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 31
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member
    Reports coming out of Korea that the replacement phones are overheating, but not exploding...yet.
    I also read that the battery life on the numerous replacement phones is unusually short. 
    SpamSandwichwatto_cobra