Troubleshooting macOS Sierra: FileMaker, Logitech and Razer devices, 4k display issues

Posted:
in macOS edited September 2016
Sierra is still proving to be one of the less problematic Mac software upgrade in a long time, but as expected, there are some minor issues here and there, including FileMaker incompatibility problems, tracking issues with some Logitech mice, and problems with missing options on some third party 4k displays.

FileMaker needs a patch

FileMaker developers and users should probably wait to upgrade to Sierra. In a tech briefing posted earlier this week, the developers of the database suite has noted that FileMaker Pro 15, FileMaker Pro Advanced 15, and FileMaker Server 15 have issues with the new OS.

Minor problems related to missing fonts manifest, but users are also reporting crashing with setup dialogs, and script name problems. In FileMaker Server 15, WebDirect, PHP, and XML functionality may not work at all.

There are no workarounds at this time. FileMaker has a patch in progress, and the support page spelling out the problem is advising users to wait for the patch.

Logitech, Razer input devices experiencing scrolling, custom keystroke issues

After Sierra installations, some Logitech input devices, specifically mice, are proving problematic. Users are reporting "choppy" pointer movement in most applications, with other users reporting different behavior in Apple's macOS applications.

Razer mice are responding similarly, aggravated by the vendor's driver package causing kernel panics for some users. The kernel panics are resolved after manual removal of the RazerHID.kext driver extension from the /Library/Extensions/ user directory.

AppleInsider has spoken with Logitech and Razer, with both companies acknowledging issues. Neither company had a timetable for an updated driver.

Third party utility USB Overdrive 3.3 ($30) restores normal mouse behavior with no kernel panics, but does not retain user-set custom button actions.

Other input device problem reports circulating include some of Logitech's USB wireless devices, including both keyboards and mice, suffering from sporadic connectivity through USB hubs and Thunderbolt docking stations. AppleInsider can confirm this issue with both a K360 keyboard and the K830 Living Room keyboard.

Several combinations of USB 3.0 hubs and Thunderbolt docks were tried, with a 2012 Retina MacBook Pro first running OS X El Capitan, and then upgraded to macOS 10.12 Sierra. No connectivity issues were experienced on El Capitan, nor did there appear to be a commonality to when the connectivity issues manifested.

In the case of the Logitech wireless devices, the solution is to plug the USB wireless receiver directly into the Mac. If a direct connection is not possible, disconnecting and re-inserting the wireless receiver corrects the problem, at least temporarily.

Resolutions missing for some third-party 4k displays

Some monitors, seemingly mostly Dell options, no longer have some scaling and resolutions options available any longer under Sierra. In some cases, HiDPI scaling options to increase desktop space and retain text legibility are gone, such as using a 1440p display in 1080p HiDPI mode.

Monitors afflicted by the problem are only presenting the native resolution of the display, instead of an assortment of scaled options.

There also appears to be little commonality in the problem reports. Some HDMI users have shifted to MiniDisplayPort, or vice versa. Others have turned to third-party options, like SwitchResX (?14 or $15.75) with some reports of success.

Testing of the matter was performed on a 2015 Retina MacBook Pro running Sierra with an external monitor connected through MiniDisplayPort or HDMI during the testing runs. Following confirmation of the problem, the computer was reverted to El Capitan with the previous HiDPI and resolution options returning, suggesting a new video driver is the culprit.

At this time, there does not appear to be a universal work-around. AppleInsider can confirm that on a Dell P2715Q the latest public beta of macOS Sierra 10.12.1 does not resolve the issue.

The problem does not extend to Apple's 4k or 5k displays in the iMac, nor are there any problems with Retina displays on the MacBook or MacBook Pro lines.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 51
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    Simplified Chinese input stopped working.  Traditional Chinese input still works.  Weird, and very frustrated. 
  • Reply 2 of 51
    The USB issues are definitely being underplayed a little bit. In addition to kernel panics with Razer devices, people who use MIDI devices and external USB audio DACs are experiencing usability issues and kernel panics as well. I myself ran into kernel panics when playing music through a Nuforce uDAC 3. Some people have even reported sudden loss of USB connectivity that requires a full restart. 

On examining some of the kexts and other system files in Sierra, a lot of people are now theorizing that Apple may some incredibly drastic changes to the USB and USB audio subsystems. If you're worried about support for your peripherals, you may want to hold off on this upgrade until 10.12.1.
  • Reply 3 of 51
    From the latest version of EndNote X7.7:

"Message for Mac user planning to update to Sierra:

In preparation for Apple's release of macOS Sierra on September 20, we have been testing various versions of EndNote. Through our testing, we discovered some issues with the EndNote PDF viewer.

These issues have been reported to Apple, but in the meantime, we recommend that you DO NOT upgrade to macOS Sierra."
  • Reply 4 of 51
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    The USB issues are definitely being underplayed a little bit. In addition to kernel panics with Razer devices, people who use MIDI devices and external USB audio DACs are experiencing usability issues and kernel panics as well. I myself ran into kernel panics when playing music through a Nuforce uDAC 3. Some people have even reported sudden loss of USB connectivity that requires a full restart. 

On examining some of the kexts and other system files in Sierra, a lot of people are now theorizing that Apple may some incredibly drastic changes to the USB and USB audio subsystems. If you're worried about support for your peripherals, you may want to hold off on this upgrade until 10.12.1.
    We've had reports of this, and we've been looking into it -- but don't have a lot to say about it just yet. Personally, I've had the problem you talk about with a DacMagic XS.
  • Reply 5 of 51
    I've got an external 4k glad I haven't upgraded yet!
  • Reply 6 of 51
    You know if Apple distributed beta copies of macOS before new releases so vendors could have their hardware drivers ready we wouldn't have these problem. Apple could even take it a step further and release public betas so end users could report problems to vendors as well.

See what I did there? :)
  • Reply 7 of 51
    ben20ben20 Posts: 126member
    I couldn't wait to update last year, and got in serious trouble. This year I will lean back and let them fix it first....and make sure you have a backup.
    baconstangwlym
  • Reply 8 of 51
    wigbywigby Posts: 692member
    I'm surprised no one is reporting Adobe CS5 issues. Sierra requires Java update which is incompatible with all CS5 applications (and CS6 too, I believe). I had to restore back to El Capitan to avoid moving to Adobe's expensive Creative Cloud offering. I spoke with Adobe and Apple support about they could not help. There is no way to downgrade Java in Sierra. Apple told me to wait for Adobe to fix. Adobe simply told me to bust out my wallet for Creative Cloud.
    fotoformat
  • Reply 9 of 51
    Parallels needs a patch as well. Not working well at ALL under Sierra. Windows drag really SLOOOOOW.. redraw sucks... Mouse moving is lagging very badly.
  • Reply 10 of 51
    I have 2 Dell P2715Q's hooked up to my 2013 Mac Pro with no monitor issues whatsoever, I have all of the scaled options I had before, I also have a Razer Death Adder Chroma and have no mouse issues to speak of.
  • Reply 11 of 51
    ScanSnap Manager links to Evernote app is broken and awaiting a fix from Fujitsu
  • Reply 12 of 51
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    mechanic said:
    I have 2 Dell P2715Q's hooked up to my 2013 Mac Pro with no monitor issues whatsoever, I have all of the scaled options I had before, I also have a Razer Death Adder Chroma and have no mouse issues to speak of.
    It's not a universal problem. I also don't have a Mac Pro to test. On the same test platform we used, an Acer 4k display works fine, and has all resolutions available.
  • Reply 13 of 51
    The display issues also occur with my Asus PB278 (native 2560x1440) connected via HDMI to my MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013) comes up as 1080i by default (with 1080p and 1600x900) coming up as options.  Had to switch to Thunderbolt to get it to display normally.

I'm guessing the issues have something to do with driver changes related to all the new wide-color support added to Sierra.

• Reply 14 of 51
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    rexbinary said:
    You know if Apple distributed beta copies of macOS before new releases so vendors could have their hardware drivers ready we wouldn't have these problem. Apple could even take it a step further and release public betas so end users could report problems to vendors as well.

See what I did there?
    Yep. The software and hardware developers have had months to get their acts together. So the question is why are there Adobe CS5 issues? Why are there FileMaker issues? Why are there ScanSnap issues? Why are there Parallel issues? Why do major developers choose to simply ignore the betas and tell their customers to go fly a kite until they are good and ready to release a patch?

But it’s all Apple’s fault, right?
    edited September 2016 nolamacguybadmonk
  • Reply 15 of 51
    wigby said:
    I'm surprised no one is reporting Adobe CS5 issues. Sierra requires Java update which is incompatible with all CS5 applications (and CS6 too, I believe). I had to restore back to El Capitan to avoid moving to Adobe's expensive Creative Cloud offering. I spoke with Adobe and Apple support about they could not help. There is no way to downgrade Java in Sierra. Apple told me to wait for Adobe to fix. Adobe simply told me to bust out my wallet for Creative Cloud.
    Unfortunately, your issue is unlikely to ever be resolved.   CS5 is a dead product.  Short of making some other move (Adobe Cloud or some other set of tools) you're probably going to be stuck on El Capitan for the duration. 
    thepixeldoc
  • Reply 16 of 51
    wigby said:
    Photoshop works fine for me, but it looks like Illustrator won't open.

UPDATE: They'll both open now, but Illustrator crashes when attempting to choose a font from the font panel. If a font is chosen from the top bar menu instead, it does not crash.
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 17 of 51
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,032member
    lkrupp said:
    Why are there FileMaker issues? 

But it’s all Apple’s fault, right?
    Filemaker is owned by Apple.  WTH.
    spliff monkey
  • Reply 18 of 51
    @Logitech & @Razer ... Way to spoil months of Beta. I've reported this incompatibility with Beta 1 on the day it came out.
    [Deleted User]nolamacguy
  • Reply 19 of 51
    There is also issue in LibreOffice on iMac 5k. LibreOffice freezes after creating or opening of any file. Will be resolved in upcoming version.
  • Reply 20 of 51
    This seems to me the worst upgrade in a few years.  I can't understand how Apple can release software that appears to have many hardware compatibility issues. I for one will not be upgrading ey.