Apple releases iOS 10.0.2 update fixing Lightning EarPods bug, Photos crashes, app extension issues

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2016
Apple on Friday pushed out a minor update for its newly released iOS 10 platform, squashing a handful of bugs for iPhone and iPad users, most notably one related to controls on Lightning-connected headphones.

Although none of the bugs fixed in iOS 10.0.2 were showstoppers, the top one -- related to Lightning headphones --?proved to be an annoyance for iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus early adopters. The new update can be installed through Software Update within the iOS Settings app, or by connecting an iPhone or iPad to iTunes on a Mac or PC.

According to Apple, iOS 10.0.2 fixes bugs and improves stability. The full list of changes spotlighted by the company are:

• Addresses an issue that could prevent headphone audio controls from temporarily not working
  • Resolves an issue that caused Photos to quit for some users when turning on iCloud Photo Library
  • Fixes an issue that prevented enabling some app extensions

Apple had revealed earlier this week that it was working on a bug related to the Lightning-connected EarPods that ship with the new iPhone 7 series. The issue caused the attached multifunction remote control to intermittently stop functioning.

iOS 10 launched to the public last week in the form of iOS 10.0.1, and the company has already moved on to testing an iOS 10.1 update that will bring a new bokeh "Portrait" mode to the iPhone 7 Plus dual cameras. For more on what's new in Apple's latest mobile operating system, see AppleInsider's ongoing Inside iOS 10 series.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    Now if they would just fix the connectivity issue between the Apple Watch Series 1 iPhone seven or iPhone 6 with ISO 10
  • Reply 2 of 15
    jdgazjdgaz Posts: 403member
    Calfire said:
    Now if they would just fix the connectivity issue between the Apple Watch Series 1 iPhone seven or iPhone 6 with ISO 10
    I seem to be dropping connectivity as well. Seems like a bluetooth issue as I have similar issues with phone to relator lock box communications.

• Reply 3 of 15
    Um, "could prevent headphone audio controls from temporarily not working"? Nobody else noticed the problem with this sentence?
    brakkenfastasleep
  • Reply 4 of 15
    Seriously, whoever wrote that description should be slapped. So this update restores the ability for the headphone audio controls to stop working?
    brakkenfastasleep
  • Reply 5 of 15
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Um, "could prevent headphone audio controls from temporarily not working"? Nobody else noticed the problem with this sentence?
    Yeah. Meh. 
  • Reply 6 of 15
    Caused my iPhone 6 to go into recovery mode. Now plugged into iTunes downloading a 2.31 gig update. If that doesn't work will need to do a restore. Backed the phone before updating so nothing lost except my morning as I'm stuck home dealing with this.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    Was hoping for a fix for audio problems I've been having on my 7 Plus.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    I just updated my 6 plus without any problems, didn't even need to connect it to PC & iTunes !!!!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 15
    aldolini said:
    I just updated my 6 plus without any problems, didn't even need to connect it to PC & iTunes !!!!
    You should never need to connect your phone or iPad to iTunes anymore. I never do....
  • Reply 10 of 15
    jdgaz said:
    Calfire said:
    I seem to be dropping connectivity as well. Seems like a bluetooth issue as I have similar issues with phone to relator lock box communications.

There are many problems involving watchOS causing battery issues reported on the forums. Hope to see a watchOS update soon, as it has rendered by Apple Watch unusable. 
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 11 of 15
    I was so looking forward to being lulled into a false sense of security with iOS 10 being problem- and error-free. Oh well, there's always next year...
  • Reply 12 of 15
    tzterri said:
    Caused my iPhone 6 to go into recovery mode. Now plugged into iTunes downloading a 2.31 gig update. If that doesn't work will need to do a restore. Backed the phone before updating so nothing lost except my morning as I'm stuck home dealing with this.
    It's why I just don't bother with OTA: too much can go wrong. So I wait a day and do the "download only" route via iTunes and easy peazy
    edited September 2016 watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 15
    brakken said:
    I was so looking forward to being lulled into a false sense of security with iOS 10 being problem- and error-free. Oh well, there's always next year...
    Meanwhile: wanna buy a really nice bridge to Brooklyn? Priced to sell!

All this complexity? TANSTAAFL
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 14 of 15
    Perfectly usable and better than ever for many millions of users...
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 15 of 15
    I keep getting no service and dropping to 3G or 1x WTF on iOS 10